closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit of a (good) dilemma, opinions needed!

Craftsman

Bit of a (good) dilemma, opinions needed!

Hi all,

Been allocated some monies by the treasury (Mrs Weasel) for an upcoming milestone, and using money left to me after my mother recently passed away. So will be a definate keeper for that reason alone.
    I need to sell 1 or 2 of the collection but comfortable with that as I wish to reduce my collection anyway.
    Currently, I have all bases covered with dress watch, daily wear and beater plus others, so filling a spot is covered.
    Without droning on, the 2 watches that I'm struggling to decide are the Vacheron Constantin 56 or the Glashütte Original 70s.
    Im heavily leaning towards the glashütte, as this was one I should have bought 12 months ago. The case shape, panarama date, and the beautiful blue dial just sing to me. The cushion case and the beautiful movement through the case back.
    However, a colleague of mine purchased a vacheron constantin 56 blue dial recently, and wow. I knew about this watch, but without selling watches I aim to keep this was a touch to far at approaching 11k.
    The movement and finishing I seen was exquisite to my eyes and trying it on was just perfect, perfectly legible apart from the tiny date window. This would not be a deal breaker though. As Vacheron are part of the Holy Trinity, this would be a massive step in my watch collecting career! I know this does not display the Geneve Seal, and the movement is not strictly in house, but finished and regulated by vacheron. However, this is still a watch from the Holy trinity.
    I just can't shake the Glashütte, but the natural progression, for me anyway would be the Vacheron.
    Both are very legible in the configuration below, the glashütte more so regards the date.

If the 2 were placed before you now, which would you go for and why?

Yes, I know choose what you want will be some of the repies.. I would just like some opinions, or better still any owners of the two.

P. S. My late mother would chose the VC hands down...

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    There’s your answer, and a belting choice too.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post
    Hi all,

Been allocated some monies by the treasury (Mrs Weasel) for an upcoming milestone, and using money left to me after my mother recently passed away. So will be a definate keeper for that reason alone.
    I need to sell 1 or 2 of the collection but comfortable with that as I wish to reduce my collection anyway.
    Currently, I have all bases covered with dress watch, daily wear and beater plus others, so filling a spot is covered.
    Without droning on, the 2 watches that I'm struggling to decide are the Vacheron Constantin 56 or the Glashütte Original 70s.
    Im heavily leaning towards the glashütte, as this was one I should have bought 12 months ago. The case shape, panarama date, and the beautiful blue dial just sing to me. The cushion case and the beautiful movement through the case back.
    However, a colleague of mine purchased a vacheron constantin 56 blue dial recently, and wow. I knew about this watch, but without selling watches I aim to keep this was a touch to far at approaching 11k.
    The movement and finishing I seen was exquisite to my eyes and trying it on was just perfect, perfectly legible apart from the tiny date window. This would not be a deal breaker though. As Vacheron are part of the Holy Trinity, this would be a massive step in my watch collecting career! I know this does not display the Geneve Seal, and the movement is not strictly in house, but finished and regulated by vacheron. However, this is still a watch from the Holy trinity.
    I just can't shake the Glashütte, but the natural progression, for me anyway would be the Vacheron.
    Both are very legible in the configuration below, the glashütte more so regards the date.

If the 2 were placed before you now, which would you go for and why?

Yes, I know choose what you want will be some of the repies.. I would just like some opinions, or better still any owners of the two.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    A lovely dilemma! I’m a long time lurker and don’t have many posts to my name, my watch knowledge is nowhere near as impressive as most on here and I’ll probably never own anything like this. If you want my opinion (you don’t) go for the glashütte!

The VC for me. A more timeless, elegant design. Probably suited to a variety of straps if it comes with that option. Also as you say your mum would've liked it so that's your answer

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

No question VC. Don't think about it anymore.

That VC is in my mind not a 'proper VC' - it is an outsourced movement that does not have the geneva seal. Yet still expensive as it carries the VC name. If you can pull off the GO, get the GO.

Master
    Different watch and more money so probably no help to you whatsoever. On top of that I'm slightly biased as I have one, but what about considering the VC overseas?

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/...110a-b128.html

I did consider the fifty six and at the time I think it was 10k retail. I know its a different dial, slightly bigger and of course a lot more money, but does have the leather option, as well as the amazing bracelet and rubber. It is 3 watches in one. Retail has now jumped to over 19k I believe as opposed to the 11k you are looking at, but one did sell on here for around 15k.

That aside the fifty six would be my choice, its a great watch.

One is very beautiful.

The other isn't.

Journeyman
    I feel one should consider respecting one's late parents in using the money they gave you through an inheritance (at least partially) in a way they would have liked you to spend it.

So for me I could not get a VC in your case!

Glashutte for me.

I love the look of it, but the VC doesn't really excite me at all.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I really like that GO. I think someone had one (Thom?) on here and the review looked great.

Journeyman
    If it was me, I'd go for the VC, as it could very well be my only chance to own one.

The Glashütte looks great though, and might be my choice if a VC was something I could potentially be acquiring in the medium term anyway.

Another vote for the VC. It will be a keeper, and a beautiful one at that, with sentimental value too. Good luck whatever you choose!

What a great dilemma!
    I much prefer the look of the VC so would chose that regardless of all the other competing factors.
    The fact that your mum would also prefer it is all you really need.

Craftsman
    A great dilemma indeed!

I personally would go for the VC. The finishing is higher than the GO. I don’t know if you have enough to swing for the Day date as the finishing there is “proper” VC. Have you considered that?

And the second reason for the VC is that at the secondary market, the GO can be had for a very accessible price. I find that if I have the cash, it is better to swing for the more expensive item first and then work on the cheaper item latter. Easy to get a smaller amount of money together vs a large amount!

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    A great dilemma indeed!

I personally would go for the VC. The finishing is higher than the GO. I don’t know if you have enough to swing for the Day date as the finishing there is “proper” VC. Have you considered that?

And the second reason for the VC is that at the secondary market, the GO can be had for a very accessible price. I find that if I have the cash, it is better to swing for the more expensive item first and then work on the cheaper item latter. Easy to get a smaller amount of money together vs a large amount!

BW,
    Chi Kai

I seriously doubt this VC, without the geneva seal is better finished than the GO - I'd say at best it'll be on par. Get past the name and it's not a great watch. I agree, however if the OP wants a VC best to upgrade to the day/date version.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I seriously doubt this VC, without the geneva seal is better finished than the GO - I'd say at best it'll be on par. Get past the name and it's not a great watch. I agree, however if the OP wants a VC best to upgrade to the day/date version.
    I see what you mean. I still think the basic VC will be finished a bit higher than the GO but I take your point. The difference is probably too little.

The day date is the one to get!

Craftsman
    The GO any day. The finishing, the big date and it's something different.
    Been itching to get the brown chrono for a while:

Try not to fall into the retained-value trap with this decision: whatever you buy will clearly be a keeper due to the emotional investment, so depreciation is irrelevant - i.e. heart should rule head.

Excellent though it is, the VC is a minor compromise in ways that the wonderfully quirky GO is not. Your enthusiasm for the latter also shines through your post. So GO seems a shoo-in from this perspective.

I was so close to buying the VC. It annoyed me that it’s such nice watch yet it’s the only one in the current lineup that doesn’t carry the Geneva seal. If it’s something that doesn’t bother you then go for it. Personally I’d still have the VC over the glashutte.

Without a doubt the VC. The VC is a supurb brand, with long history and universal desirability. The Glashütte while a fine fine watch, still has that whiff of "I got this because I couldnt afford the A Lange et Sonne". And that one for me has a 70's aesthetic that not as timeless and is a bit of a Patek knockoff..
    Last edited by Fitzgeme; 9th September 2020 at 12:30.

Craftsman
    Thank you for all the replies.

Some good points raised to consider. I've fortunately got another month or so (flights depending) to decide. Either way, much appreciate the responses and hopefully rule one out soon. The thread as certainly swung the pendulum back towards the VC. Thank you all.

crazyp
    'That VC is in my mind not a 'proper VC' - it is an outsourced movement that does not have the geneva seal. Yet still expensive as it carries the VC name. If you can pull off the GO, get the GO."

Heard this mentioned a few times and caused some debate, while i see what your saying... i don't think not having the seal would put me off, its still part of the Holy Trinity though.... or not?, but yes i can see the argument.

animaal
    If it was me, I'd go for the VC, as it could very well be my only chance to own one.

That is a good point, and one i have considered. As mentioned in a response, would be easier for me to pick up a GO later... i seriously doubt i will be in this position again without selling watches that i would regret massively.

Devonian
    Different watch and more money so probably no help to you whatsoever. On top of that I'm slightly biased as I have one, but what about considering the VC overseas?

Agreed, but this would be a bridge to far, again without selling the collection so to speak. I did consider the usual "One watch collection" and it would be the prime candidate, but the 56 is a more realistic proposition.

earlofsodbury
    Try not to fall into the retained-value trap with this decision: whatever you buy will clearly be a keeper due to the emotional investment, so depreciation is irrelevant - i.e. heart should rule head.

Thank you, an you are correct, retained value is not a factor.

Monkey Queen
    The GO any day. The finishing, the big date and it's something different.

Thank you, however the Chrono is out of the running, superb as it is :)

Ctam

Thanks, as mentioned above, i agree on the easier to purchase the GO at a later date.

I think I have revealed myself to not be a WIS on account of choosing the VC over the GO.

I hope the penance for such an admission isn't too onerous.

Master
    Personally I would go GO. A watch you can wear whatever the occasion. Dress up or down. Cool retro feel.

The VC is pretty and a nice colour but IMO quite boring and only really a formal(ish) piece.

The GO makes a better keeper.

As an aside the Trinity bit is neither hear nir there for me. Have never liked on enough to justify the price versus whatever else is out there.

A serious alternative given these two... How about this - unless it's too sporty:

Master
    I've not much knowledge of either, other than they are both great brands. So based purely on the look that appeals most to me, I'd GO. Or the blancpain, which is also nice... The vc leaves me a bit cold tbh, although I'm sure it's an amazing watch.

Apprentice
    From a purely personal preference point of view, I’d go the GO. The VC is nice but the GO is a bit “different” and more my cup of tea stylistically. I think I’m highly unlikely to ever own an 11k watch but if I do, I would go for the “different”.

The other point to throw in - and this might not be a problem at all for you - is that your colleague has the vc. Again coming back to the 11k watch point, if I was going to spend that much, I wouldn’t spend it on a watch I know the bloke who sits next to me 8 hours a day (and the rest) is wearing too.

That said, as you predicted would be the most popular response - go with what you like the most! And if you don’t think you’ll ever have this sort of money to spend again (without getting rid of others you don’t want to), then getting one of your holy trinity seems to me to be the best bet. If you got neither, which would you look back on in five years’ time and be most disappointed about missing out on?

Journeyman
    It’s a cliche to say, but making this kind of decision, you really need to go with the watch that sings to you. For me that would 100% be the VC. Geneva seal or not it is a watch by one of the finest watchmakers on earth, and the lines are simply exquisite. It is beautiful, and certainly makes me smile, for what that’s worth.

But ultimately that doesn’t mean much if you love and prefer the GO. The history and name of VC is irrelevant if you don’t adore the watch; and for such an occasion it should be a watch you can’t take your eyes off of, that brings you joy every time you look at it. For me that would be the VC, but if for you that’s the GO then take it without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If you really can't decide, go with your mum's choice, and it will remind you of her from time to time.

I would probably go for the VC - but on a bracelet (IIRC only available from a VC Boutique).

I wouldn’t buy it on strap.

My preference for the VC is only because that is the watch that I prefer.

The point that it is part of the so called holy trinity would play no part in that decision - I think people become too fixated by the thought of a supposed “upgrade to a holy trinity watch”. Completely pointless if you prefer another watch.

To me the VC is by a long way the more attractive of the two.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Of those - the VC undoubtably. As you are not going to sell re-sale is irrelevant. If you can - get to the boutiques and try them on, sometimes pictures don't pay justice and there is nothing like feeling the goods. I think you would instantly know and of course - "mother knows best".

VC are the masters of "blue" - difficult to capture - but here is my effort

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 9th September 2020 at 21:34.

Master
    The GO is beautiful, however Instead of the VC I’d be looking at the JLC master control calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgeme View Post
    Without a doubt the VC. The VC is a supurb brand, with long history and universal desirability. The Glashütte while a fine fine watch, still has that whiff of "I got this because I couldnt afford the A Lange et Sonne". And that one for me has a 70's aesthetic that not as timeless and is a bit of a Patek knockoff..
    I think the Lange Vs GO remark is a moot one here, this GO looks like nothing Lange make.

Unless one is totally brand obsessed, you wouldn't cross shop this GO and any Lange I've seen.

M

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I would probably go for the VC - but on a bracelet (IIRC only available from a VC Boutique).
    Just been down a rabbit hole on this one, it's actually a gorgeous watch... shame about 30m WR though, as it screams daily wearer otherwise.

Blog Entries
    I think you prefer the Glashütte from what you say, so that's the one I think you should choose.

The VC looks nice but the GO is different, with the big date and great bracelet.

Choose for you.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post

The squinty little date window on the VC is horrendous! A nightmare of poor design.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The squinty little date window on the VC is horrendous! A nightmare of poor design.
    That's a personal opinion. Personally if a watch is going to have a date I'd rather it was as discrete as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    It's only squinty if you yourself have to squint.

The GO looks like it was worn in the 70s by celebrities in nylon trousers.

I find myself agreeing with Tinker on the date window.

Sure, the GO isn't to everyone's taste, but it's original and distinctive. Having seen one in person, it's definitely a watch I'd happily own (although it's far to dear for me!)

I'm sure the VC is beautifully made, but it's rather bland. They make far nicer watches, imo.

For me, the VC seems to be a case of wanting the brand, rather than the watch for many posters.

To the OP, I'm sure your mum would far prefer you to buy the watch you love than one you feel she would prefer, as Oaky more or less says.

M

Last edited by snowman; 10th September 2020 at 08:15.

Master
    Both lovely watches, but I'd go with the GO myself. More distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    For me, the VC seems to be a case of wanting the brand, rather than the watch for many posters.
    I thought that but for the GO.

Imagine they were both made by Casio. Which would you pick?

Apprentice
    My preference would be the VC on the basis that it looks like it might be more wearable in different situations than the GO

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    The GO looks like it was worn in the 70s by celebrities in nylon trousers.
    You say that like it's A Bad Thing!

Craftsman
    My advice would be to try them both on and see which one pits the biggest smile on your face.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love the GO.
    The VC seems generic and a bit dull imo

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I really like that GO. I think someone had one (Thom?) on here and the review looked great.
    Yes, 'twas me. Mine is the Chrono, though.

Of these two, I'd choose the GO if I didn't already have one as the quirky design appeals to me. I've got an overseas blue dial too and the difference in quality, finishing etc is surprisingly close.

The lure of the "holy trinity" thing seems to be swaying the OP, but I'd take this with a pinch of salt. Don't look them directly in the eyes OP!!

From a VERY shallow perspective, I'm ashamed to say I'd always know I'd bought the entry level VC... but that's just me.

You'll have to go and try them out at first hand, so difficult to tell from pics.

TBH I am not mad on either design from the pictures, the GO looking very retro IMO.

When you get up close and personal I am sure one will stand out for you.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I thought that but for the GO.

Imagine they were both made by Casio. Which would you pick?
    Simple - The GO, it's lovely.

The VC is a generic dress watch with an overly small date window.

Neither brand is one that resonates strongly for me (few do, to be honest, although in this case it's a bit like me trying to decide between a Rolls Royce and a Bugatti - Neither is in my sphere of obtainability), but the GO is a watch I really like, which always seems the way to chose a watch to me.

Of course, if Casio made them, they'd be plastic and I wouldn't buy either!

M

Last edited by snowman; 10th September 2020 at 13:27.

Master
    As a total UN fanboy and in keeping with the colour and style of the above watches I'd suggest the Classico Manufacture

Personally I'd go for one of their divers or marine torpilleur

or

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    You say that like it's A Bad Thing!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Simple - The GO, it's lovely.

The VC is a generic dress watch with an overly small date window.

Neither brand is one that resonates strongly for me (few do, to be honest, although in this case it's a bit like me trying to decide between a Rolls Royce and a Bugatti - Neither is in my sphere of obtainability), but the GO is a watch I really like, which always seems the way to chose a watch to me.

Of course, if Casio made them, they'd be plastic and I wouldn't buy either!

M

Well argued.

I'm changing my mind.

Perhaps.