closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World class Covid-19 testing-help please.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Is there really such a difference in areas and testing stations. It would appear some are 'not busy' and you can just pop in at will, and other areas are completely overwhelmed. What area are you in that there is no availability?
    I'm up in the NE near Darlington, but out of interest i've also tried my old place down in Slough and my late parents place in Lincolnshire, as i know the postcodes, and nothing at any of them, you just get 'no test sites found'. Same again this morning
    Last edited by Brighty; 13th September 2020 at 08:14.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    I'm up in the NE near Darlington, but out of interest i've also tried my old place down in Slough and my late parents place in Lincolnshire, as i know the postcodes, and nothing at any of them, you just get 'no test sites found'. Same again this morning
    Seems strange that some can just pop in on the off chance then.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Seems strange that some can just pop in on the off chance then.
    Been sat pressing refresh all morning and finally got a slot for 2.00 this afternoon. Sorted. Results tomorrow with any luck, so i only miss 1 day of work

Blog Entries
    Been sat pressing refresh all morning and finally got a slot for 2.00 this afternoon. Sorted. Results tomorrow with any luck, so i only miss 1 day of work
    Good news that you got sorted. Hope all is ok.

One of my daughters had been sent home from school,I believe she’s just got the normal sniffles and cough ,no tell tale COVID symptoms.
    She can’t return until she’s been tested,we’ve told our other daughters school and they have said she’s ok to come ,apparently there’s quite a few kids with what we call common cold ,and if they sent them all home the school would be half empty.
    Posted the test Saturday morning,not sure how long it’ll be before we get the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tested on Sunday and we're still waiting on results, so much for 24-48 hr turnaround. Now on day 3 of missed work/school

Tested on Sunday and we're still waiting on results, so much for 24-48 hr turnaround. Now on day 3 of missed work/school
    From the sound of things you're not alone, seems there's quite a backlog. Hope you get your results soon.
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th September 2020 at 09:02.

Master
    Someone I know is trying to book a test and and can’t do so on the website. I’ve cycled past the local testing centre quite a few times (maybe 10 miles from where they live) and at the most there are five cars there each time. The staff outnumber the “guests” by about 10:1.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Someone I know is trying to book a test and and can’t do so on the website. I’ve cycled past the local testing centre quite a few times (maybe 10 miles from where they live) and at the most there are five cars there each time. The staff outnumber the “guests” by about 10:1.
    There was a story on the news where someone living in London managed to get a test in London by using a Scottish postcode when going through the website. It could be worth trying some different postcodes?

This is a related story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53990068

It sounds like priority is given to people in high risk postcodes...

‘World-class’.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
    There was a story on the news where someone living in London managed to get a test in London by using a Scottish postcode when going through the website. It could be worth trying some different postcodes?

This is a related story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53990068

It sounds like priority is given to people in high risk postcodes...
    I'd say that it's just a tactic to put people off getting tested at all, a complete and utter shambles!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    I'd say that it's just a tactic to put people off getting tested at all, a complete and utter shambles!
    What a strange view to have. Why would they want to put people off when they are under pressure to do more testing?

Master
    What a strange view to have. Why would they want to put people off when they are under pressure to do more testing?
    Why, DHSC don't have the capacity to process the current levels of testing, therefore make it difficult to get a test!

Because more people wanting to get a test means a more visible failure of the operation, and because if people stop going for tests it will be become easier to blame them for the rise in cases.
    As Trump said, if we did less testing there would be fewer positive results.

But I read cbh's post as "acting this way will effectively put people off getting tested", i.e. without the implication that it was a deliberate ploy. I may of course be wrong as to the intent.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Because more people wanting to get a test means a more visible failure of the operation, and because if people stop going for tests it will be become easier to blame them for the rise in cases.

But I read cbh's post as "acting this way will effectively put people off getting tested", i.e. without the implication that it was a deliberate ploy. I may of course be wrong as to the intent.
    No, I do think it's a deliberate ploy, why on earth would a postcode based system offer a tests hundred's of miles away, surely only to put someone off going in the first place.

No, I do think it's a deliberate ploy, why on earth would a postcode based system offer a tests hundred's of miles away, surely only to put someone off going in the first place.
    Sheer incompetence? The system was programmed in a rush. Peter (Griswold) has already shown that clicking alternatively on "drive" and "walk" generated different results each time, and he did this until a testing station was close enough to him.

I think that what you are thus suggesting is beyond their level of expertise. Occam's razor and all that...

Sheer incompetence? The system was programmed in a rush. Peter (Griswold) has already shown that clicking alternatively on "drive" and "walk" generated different results each time, and he did this until a testing station was close enough to him.

I think that what you are thus suggesting is beyond their level of expertise. Occam's razor and all that...
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"...

Master

Maybe, maybe not, but interesting how in the early days of testing you'd get a test at one of the closer testing sites to where you live, and now even though testing sites are quiet, tests are being offered hundreds of miles away!

Why should you have to game the system to get a test, unless the system is gaming you in the first place?

Tested at 2pm Sunday, results received 11.30 today, 4 day turnaround, not the promised 48hr max. At least i can go to work tomorrow

Tested at 2pm Sunday, results received 11.30 today, 4 day turnaround, not the promised 48hr max. At least i can go to work tomorrow
    ... which says that your result was negative. Good for you, must have been a relief.

... which says that your result was negative. Good for you, must have been a relief.
    Negative, yes, but knew it would be, kids have a cold, snotty etc, it was just they had a cough with it which sent the school into a panic, hence all of us getting tested

Negative, yes, but knew it would be, kids have a cold, snotty etc, it was just they had a cough with it which sent the school into a panic, hence all of us getting tested
    I got that, but probably worded my post badly. I meant a relief that life can return to normal (or to what passes for normal nowadays), kids in school, you at work, etc.

I got that, but probably worded my post badly. I meant a relief that life can return to normal (or to what passes for normal nowadays), kids in school, you at work, etc.
    Ah, ok, yes be good to get back in. It's been the worst possible week for it. 2 years of work on my project ahead of finally getting parts and doing a prototype build this week, and i'm stuck home trying to watch and direct and give info via a shonky webcam connection. Nightmare. I thought it would be a pain missing Monday, but then 1 day turned into 2, then 3, then 4 waiting for results to tell me what we already knew
    Last edited by Brighty; 17th September 2020 at 13:25.

Blog Entries

"acting this way will effectively put people off getting tested"......................"without the implication that it was a deliberate ploy" errmmm really?

That has been debunked...

Blog Entries

I think by necessity a lot of the systems have been programmed and brought into play in a rush. Of course in an alternative ideal world run by saints and geniuses...............

They are the ones who suggested “World beating”. It is, but not in the way intended. Other countries have issues as well, but nowhere near as bad as here.

Blog Entries
    "acting this way will effectively put people off getting tested"......................"without the implication that it was a deliberate ploy" errmmm really?
    That has been debunked...
    Was just pointing out the contradiction, didn't read his other reply

Blog Entries
    They are the ones who suggested “World beating”. It is, but not in the way intended. Other countries have issues as well, but nowhere near as bad as here.
    We do seem to be rather second rate as a country by all accounts.

World class Covid-19 testing-help please.

Was just pointing out the contradiction, didn't read his other reply
    Law of unattended consequences :biggreen-new:

Blog Entries
    Law of unattended consequences :biggreen-new:

Unintended... Oops. Unattended as well, but still.

We do seem to be rather second rate as a country by all accounts.
    Aspirational, good stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Aspirational, good stuff.
    Just going with the flow old chap.

Master
    Maybe you'd drive from London to Scotland for a test, I don't know any that would, I'd say that's a deliberate ploy to keep the tested numbers down, maybe if you needed a test you wouldn't be laughing so hard.

Blog Entries
    Maybe you'd drive from London to Scotland for a test, I don't know any that would, I'd say that's a deliberate ploy to keep the tested numbers down, maybe if you needed a test you wouldn't be laughing so hard.
    Don’t remember laughing hard about it tbh but nice try to make me look unsympathetic.

Might laugh at the conspiracy theories though. I would think it’s probably a software issue.

Master
    Don’t remember laughing hard about it tbh but nice try to make me look unsympathetic.

Might laugh at the conspiracy theories though. I would think it’s probably a software issue.
    Every High St. shop that has an online website can direct you to it's nearest shop by typing in a post code, yet our "World Class" testing system doesn't have this basic function working correctly after month's when it worked fine.

Maybe, maybe not, but interesting how in the early days of testing you'd get a test at one of the closer testing sites to where you live, and now even though testing sites are quiet, tests are being offered hundreds of miles away!

Why should you have to game the system to get a test, unless the system is gaming you in the first place?
    Having worked in IT for more years than I care to remember my experiences tell me that it is very likely, (nay, probable), that the system wasn't stress tested, (or at least not stress tested fully); and that would indicate why in the early days, i.e. not may user accesses per second, the system would indeed find a site close to the users Post Code location; and why now, with considerably more user accesses per second the system is failing in many, (but not all), cases.

No one in their right mind would design a system to offer distant testing sites to put people off - the risk of that becoming public knowledge would be incomprehensible!

Oh, and I'm now aware of other people who have toggled between Drive Through and Walk Through and have been offered tests close enough to where they live.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Blog Entries
    Every High St. shop that has an online website can direct you to it's nearest shop by typing in a post code, yet our "World Class" testing system doesn't have this basic function working correctly after month's when it worked fine.
    Your assertion that the testing websites are directing people halfway across the country in an effort to put people off having tests would be hilarious, if it wasn't for the fact that people like you actually believe it. Do you think they could honestly cover something like that up with the civil service whistle blowers just waiting for an opportunity to phone the Grauniad? As my granny used to say it's more far fetched than sand from China.

You also have to remember they used Dildo Harding to head the project, she of Talk Talk "The awful truth is that I don't know" hacking fame...

You also have to remember they used Dildo Harding to head the project, she of Talk Talk "The awful truth is that I don't know" hacking fame...
    Aye Typhoid Dido, she was involved in the ill fated decision to let Cheltenham go ahead, hardly the smart choice for y'know a system meant to try and control and manage the virus.