closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World class Covid-19 testing-help please.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    .............. In this case we shouldn't make a mountain out of that molehill. The test centre was idle, and he didn't make an appointment so hardly hampering the resources for others and sending them at the other end of the country. We don't know what happened next because the OP doesn't know what to do...

In this case we agree. The labs (where the samples are tested) are indeed apparently overwhelmed, as we have just realised we did not have the capacity required to apply the policy that was decided several months ago.
    Somewhat of a contradiction. If the labs are in fact overwhelmed as you say then taking a test just because you felt like it isn't helping.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

There was a news item yesterday about the topic of testing centres being empty. There are multiple centres but only a handful of mega-labs that can process the tests, so the bottleneck is the capacity to process the tests, rather than take the samples in the first place.

As an aside, I went for an antibody test through my work as a doctor. Took two weeks to book, and three weeks after my blood was taken, I hadn't had a result. Phoned to chase it and was told the sample had been lost. Working in the NHS for a number of years meant I wasn't surprised by this ineptitude, and even less so two weeks later when I got an email with the result. Total time from booking to result was 7 weeks. I'm not sure as a healthcare professional what I could meaningfully do with that information after such time had lapsed.

The above is just an anecdote, but the NHS has been operating on such a knife-edge for so long that parts of it are simply basket cases. I just wish people would wake up to this, stop the sentimental fetishising of the NHS that makes us all feel warm and cosy, and think about the hard realities of how we want to fund a universal healthcare system and social care for an increasingly elderly population with multiple co-morbidities. There are no easy answers but burying our heads isn't an option either.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Somewhat of a contradiction. If the labs are in fact overwhelmed as you say then taking a test just because you felt like it isn't helping.
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    There was a news item yesterday about the topic of testing centres being empty. There are multiple centres but only a handful of mega-labs that can process the tests, so the bottleneck is the capacity to process the tests, rather than take the samples in the first place.

As an aside, I went for an antibody test through my work as a doctor. Took two weeks to book, and three weeks after my blood was taken, I hadn't had a result. Phoned to chase it and was told the sample had been lost. Working in the NHS for a number of years meant I wasn't surprised by this ineptitude, and even less so two weeks later when I got an email with the result. Total time from booking to result was 7 weeks. I'm not sure as a healthcare professional what I could meaningfully do with that information after such time had lapsed.

The above is just an anecdote, but the NHS has been operating on such a knife-edge for so long that parts of it are simply basket cases. I just wish people would wake up to this, stop the sentimental fetishising of the NHS that makes us all feel warm and cosy, and think about the hard realities of how we want to fund a universal healthcare system and social care for an increasingly elderly population with multiple co-morbidities. There are no easy answers but burying our heads isn't an option either.
    I believe John's post puts what you saw as a contradiction to rest. MH this morning said 25% should not have had the test. On what grounds? on the advice given. Again, it's only an advice. And I doubt he had any knowledge of the mental state of those who took a test against the advice: it may provide a relief that is incommensurably greater than the extra workload for the lab.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    I believe John's post puts what you saw as a contradiction to rest. MH this morning said 25% should not have had the test. On what grounds? on the advice given. Again, it's only an advice. And I doubt he had any knowledge of the mental state of those who took a test against the advice: it may provide a relief that is incommensurably greater than the extra workload for the lab.
    I think we’ll have to disagree. I don’t think you can say on the one hand it’s making a mountain out of a molehill and on the other that labs are overwhelmed. But if that’s your view I accept we disagree.

I believe he still has his samples and doesn’t know what to do with them. But I may have misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    My dad did need his eyes checking out last week and the selfish bastard expected me to run him to the ophthalmologist instead of just going for a drive for himself.
    Did he not know going for a drive is now part of an eye test?

In this case we agree. The labs (where the samples are tested) are indeed apparently overwhelmed, as we have just realised we did not have the capacity required to apply the policy that was decided several months ago.
    And this is the real issue: the lack of laboratories to handle testing.

Even if I was just thinking about going abroad I'd want a test done before making any decision.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I’m not so sure the labs are THAT overwhelmed. We had our results in less than 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’m not so sure the labs are THAT overwhelmed. We had our results in less than 24 hours.
    This from a friend who flew from Bristol to Paphos, Cyprus a couple of days ago.

I did the NHS drive-through testing. I gave "Other" as a reason for doing the test, then PDF'd both the appointment email (which confirms the time/date of the test) and the results email.
    I uploaded the PDF to the Cyprus Travel Pass website and it was approved immediately.
    The document you upload is mailed back to you on approval together with the travel pass. Just print out everything and take it with you.
    On departure in the UK the airline will look at the travel pass.
    On arrival in the airport building they are interested in the test date and the pass result - the whole thing took about ten seconds.
    I did my test on Friday, got my results on Saturday, applied for the pass on Sunday and flew on Monday.
    Just ignore the bit on the application about "certificate". The NHS emails are perfectly acceptable. Most people on the plane had the same ones.
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

World class Covid-19 testing-help please.

So the NHS is testing people so that they can go on holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I believe the slow clap should be directed to others.
    I can't believe I find myself in the position to defend Soapy. His approach was probably misguided but he is not the one responsible for creating this mess: the staggering incompetence doesn't come from him.

Master
    Blog Entries
    All the emotive mis informed aggressive opinions help no one.

I was not bored,I sat on the bench next to the bell in quiet contemplation I had made a specific journey to get there.

then as I went to leave I saw the test centre was empty I had no idea about procdure.

Like most people I expected the people at the test centre to inform me of procedures and eligibility,as it was I had to ask them not to get to close to me they seemed unsure of themselves..

If you think the governments policys are clear and precise then you are in a minority.

I was not showing symptons but I was very worried,I have been keeping more that 2m from people they haven't from me and I am very vulnerable.

There has been an increase of infections in my area.

Many people especially the young are not wearing masks and get aggressive when you ask them to wear one,I've already been threatened to be battered once already.

I am more scared of this than anything else in my life and that includes NI and other war zones I been in.

You can call me a coward I will accept that, but I am not selfish and irresponsible.

I forgot to add 3 members of my family have had it,one quite badly.
    Last edited by bwest76; 9th September 2020 at 14:45.

I can't believe I find myself in the position to defend Soapy.
    I think we've got another hacked account here!

The whole thing might be a bit of a fiasco, but it doesn't take the brains of Britain to work out that in the middle of a global pandemic, when it's reported 24 hours a day that the testing is at breaking point, that it's a waste of resources getting a test because you're at a loose end and just fancy seeing what it's all about.

I know this is a lazy and massive leap, but what if Trev from Oxford has been flagged up by the tracers but couldn't get a nearby test because his local lab needed one more drop-in to put them at capacity? He's asked to go to Glasgow but there's no way he's doing that. He feels alright and next day goes into work and infects half a dozen colleagues. All purely hypothetical, absolutely, but our actions have a knock-on effect.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I am not selfish and irresponsible.

No-one has called you selfish or irresponsible, those are your words.

Blog Entries
    All the emotive mis informed aggressive opinions help no one.

I was not bored,I sat on the bench next to the bell in quiet contemplation I had made a specific journey to get there.

then as I went to leave I saw the test centre was empty I had no idea about procdure.

Like most people I expected the people at the test centre to inform me of procedures and eligibility,as it was I had to ask them not to get to close to me they seemed unsure of themselves..

If you think the governments policys are clear and precise then you are in a minority.

I was not showing symptons but I was very worried,I have been keeping more that 2m from people they haven't from me and I am very vulnerable.

There has been an increase of infections in my area.

Many people especially the young are not wearing masks and get aggressive when you ask them to wear one,I've already been threatened to be battered once already.

I am more scared of this than anything else in my life and that includes NI and other war zones I been in.

You can call me a coward I will accept that, but I am not selfish and irresponsible.

Well you obviously weren’t worried enough to seek out a test until you saw the testing station!

This.

The whole thing might be a bit of a fiasco, but it doesn't take the brains of Britain to work out that in the middle of a global pandemic, when it's reported 24 hours a day that the testing is at breaking point, that it's a waste of resources getting a test because you're at a loose end and just fancy seeing what it's all about.

I know this is a lazy and massive leap, but what if Trev from Oxford has been flagged up by the tracers but couldn't get a nearby test because his local lab needed one more drop-in to put them at capacity? He's asked to go to Glasgow but there's no way he's doing that. He feels alright and next day goes into work and infects half a dozen colleagues. All purely hypothetical, absolutely, but our actions have a knock-on effect.

Absolutely. But the probability of the OP to take the last slot for a lab to be at capacity seems significantly smaller than the chance that he could be found positive and thus avoid contaminating other people just the same.

4 months ago I'd have added my pitchfork as it was being set up in desperation. But as the instructions had become "Go out, be merry and spend" I find it reasonable for someone who may not follow new developments on an hourly basis to think the testing system was running as it should, and then seeing a test centre, to go and enquire. They, on the other hand, should have been aware of the situation with the labs, and send him on his way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    only go for a test if you are sure you have it and make sure you have the news on a 24 hour loop so you know the latest Johnson backtrack and the rules as they apply to all 4 sections of a divided and different rules UK.

Sounds just like the blame shifting conservatives on and after PM questions today,not politics fact.

Which by the way they initially at least told us to get tested.

No, soapy, you go for a test if you think you may have it or if you're due to fly and need a test to board etc. The blame isn't totally on you though, the guidance hasn't been great.

Blog Entries
    only go for a test if you are sure you have it and make sure you have the news on a 24 hour loop so you know the latest Johnson backtrack and the rules as they apply to all 4 sections of a divided and different rules UK.

Sounds just like the blame shifting conservatives on and after PM questions today,not politics fact.

Which by the way they initially at least told us to get tested.
    Well you obviously misunderstood “only get a test if you have symptoms”.
    Perhaps too complicated.

Master
    Perhaps too complicated.
    Why then does it allow you to book a test online even if you say in the questionnaire that you have no symptoms?
    If it was as black and white as you suggest it is, the ‘no symptoms’ option wouldn’t be available.

Blog Entries
    Why then does it allow you to book a test online even if you say in the questionnaire that you have no symptoms?
    If it was as black and white as you suggest it is, the ‘no symptoms’ option wouldn’t be available.
    Hey, I'm not the government. Just saying what it says on their website and on the Coronavirus Briefing this afternoon. Perhaps that option is for NHS staff, or people who have been in contact with someone who later proves positive. No doubt the OP will now claim to fall into one of these categories.

https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 9th September 2020 at 17:15.

Hey, I'm not the government. Just saying what it says on their website and on the Coronavirus Briefing this afternoon. Perhaps that option is for NHS staff, or people who have been in contact with someone who later proves positive. No doubt the OP will now claim to fall into one of these categories.
    I think this is key. It is indeed clearer now than it was yesterday or last week. Probably different, too.

Just saying what it says on their website and on the Coronavirus Briefing this afternoon. Perhaps that option is for NHS staff, or people who have been in contact with someone who later proves positive. No doubt the OP will now claim to fall into one of these categories.
    The Government guidance doesn't seem to include 'people who need to get a test in order to allow them to travel'.

R

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The Government guidance doesn't seem to include 'people who need to get a test in order to allow them to travel'.

R
    Don't think I said that it did, so perhaps you should take it up with the government.

In a nutshell....

I went to Brize Norton today to pay my respects at the repatriation bell just on the roundabout next to it was a Covid test centre.

So I thought why not get tested,not busy,so no problem..................
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Do you have any relevant symptoms? If ‘yes’ why were you out and about? If ‘no’ why are you trying to be tested?
    I thought we where supposed to get tested to help the situation?

No symptons.

Don't think I said that it did, so perhaps you should take it up with the government.
    I didn't say you said it and I've no issue to take up with the government, it was an observation that their criteria doesn't cover everyone.

R

Blog Entries
    I didn't say you said it and I've no issue to take up with the government, it was an observation that their criteria doesn't cover everyone.

R
    Oh I see.

I rather thought the advice did cover everyone.

https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test

I rather thought the advice did cover everyone.
    I rather expect you do think that.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Perhaps too complicated.
    R

Seems to me Government advice includes everyone. If someone ‘needs’ one to travel they aren’t entitled to one, clear enough.

Blog Entries
    I rather expect you do think that.

R
    Not sure what point you are making tbh.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 10th September 2020 at 14:51.

Master
    Not sure what point you are making tbh.
    The point that Ralph is making is that despite the government website not mentioning a test prior to travelling, if someone is travelling to a country that requires a test before being admitted to the country, then they are surely eligible for a test.

The point that Ralph is making is that despite the government website not mentioning a test prior to travelling, if someone is travelling to a country that requires a test before being admitted to the country, then they are surely eligible for a test.
    Why? If someone needs one to travel they should pay for it, as they would for travel vaccinations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why? If someone needs one to travel they should pay for it, as they would for travel vaccinations.
    I’ve never paid for a shot in my life

On the face of it this makes perfect sense. But where do you place the limit between what the state provides, and what the individual should pay for?

I’ve never paid for a shot in my life
    You won't get a yellow fever injection on the NHS, possibly not malaria tablets either.

As businesses, self employed, furloughed workers, are being supported at this difficult time surely anyone willing to risk their health to support the beleaguered travel and leisure sectors, spending their own money perhaps taxed when earned, then VAT for tickets/travel insurance, could reasonably expect a free test surely. I mean heck it makes about as much sense as the Spoons vouchers.

On the face of it this makes perfect sense. But where do you place the limit between what the state provides, and what the individual should pay for?
    Well, IMO there's less justification for a Covid certificate here than for travel vaccinations.
    The former allows entry to a country, so on a par with passports and visas whereas the latter will hopefully prevent illness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    ............. surely anyone willing to risk their health to support the beleaguered travel and leisure sectors, ......................
    A ha ha ha ha........genuinely lol reading that.

- - - Updated - - -

Why? Unless they have no choice to go?

Well, IMO there's less justification for a Covid certificate here than for travel vaccinations.
    The former allows entry to a country, so on a par with passports and visas whereas the latter will hopefully prevent illness.
    I am not disputing your reasoning nor your conclusion. At all. I don’t find it unreasonable.
    But I still ask: where do you draw the line between what the state covers, and what you pay for?
    Take sports: should there be a difference in who pays for treatment if you’re injured during a park run or rock climbing?
    Take transport: should you be covered if you have a RTA going to work if public transport was a reasonable option for you?

ah so the old sense of humours not entirely gone then OOK,

I am not disputing your reasoning nor your conclusion. At all. I don’t find it unreasonable.
    But I still ask: where do you draw the line between what the state covers, and what you pay for?
    Take sports: should there be a difference in who pays for treatment if you’re injured during a park run or rock climbing?
    Take transport: should you be covered if you have a RTA going to work if public transport was a reasonable option for you?
    I don't know, probably a question for it's own thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    ah so the old sense of humours not entirely gone then OOK,
    Of course not..........

Woke up this morning and both kids have colds, snotty noses and sore throat. Rang the school and they said keep them home and all get tested. Been online to book a test and for my postcode it says no walk in or drive through test sites available, home test kits not available. So what do we do now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    My dad did need his eyes checking out last week and the selfish bastard expected me to run him to the ophthalmologist instead of just going for a drive for himself.
    According to the letter that Specsavers sent me this week, my eye test is due. I can't believe they've wasted money on printing and a stamp, when I could have just put £80 worth of diesel in the car and found out for myself. Stupid bloody idiots, no wonder this country is going to rack and ruin, I really do.

The test centres are 'quiet' for a reason - it seems there is some issue with either demand for a test, or these are being released in (too) small numbers. Whether the website is testing the test centre numbers and demand to see if it is yet another govermnent website server incapable of supporting the demand, or there are a LOT of people booking tests who then don't turn up, who knows.
    The papers reported a backlog of tests to process at the labs, but some labs have been processing tests same day and reporting results to test subjects, so I'm sure it'll pick up sooner or later.

I heard the people behind the Oxford Covid vaccine trial talking on Radio 4 that the people were recovering so quickly, there wouldn't be enough people available to test a vaccine, so maybe it'll get to a point where too few people will want to have a test to make it viable to operate a test centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Woke up this morning and both kids have colds, snotty noses and sore throat. Rang the school and they said keep them home and all get tested. Been online to book a test and for my postcode it says no walk in or drive through test sites available, home test kits not available. So what do we do now?
    Keep trying online. More slots are released over time. On Sunday we tried to arrange a test for our Daughter, we were offered Leicester (bit of a trek from Manchester), but after multiple attempts we got Manchester Airport.

Master
    NHS advice is to get tested if they have a temperature, new persistent cough or loss of taste. My daughter has a snotty nose and sore throat (as have a few other kids at school) but I’m not getting her tested with only common cold symptoms. Upper respiratory infection is a rare symptom with Covid.
    Last edited by benny.c; 11th September 2020 at 14:41.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    NHS advice is to get tested if they have a temperature, new persistent cough or loss of taste. My daughter has a snotty nose and sore throat (as have a few other kids at school) but I’m not getting her tested with only common cold symptoms. Upper respiratory infection is a rare symptom with Covid.
    Both kids have coughs as well, that's why school didn't want them in. Not allowed back to school until a negative test. I'm not allowed back into work until i have a negative test, or the kids do. Even though we all know it's just a cold. 2/3 of my daughters class are off with it, patient zero came in with a cold first day back last Thurs, was sent home but not before infecting half the class. They have since tested negative. I tried multiple times yesterday and was up at 6.30 am today to have a go, and again just now, nothing.

Master
    I understand schools have got to be cautious but they are going to be empty over winter as the usual bout of seasonal sniffles and sore throats do the rounds. Still, at least there’ll be less students the spread Norovirus around ;-)

Blog Entries
    I went to Brize Norton today to pay my respects at the repatriation bell just on the roundabout next to it was a Covid test centre.

So I thought why not get tested,not busy,so no problem.................
    Both kids have coughs as well, that's why school didn't want them in. Not allowed back to school until a negative test. I'm not allowed back into work until i have a negative test, or the kids do. Even though we all know it's just a cold. 2/3 of my daughters class are off with it, patient zero came in with a cold first day back last Thurs, was sent home but not before infecting half the class. They have since tested negative. I tried multiple times yesterday and was up at 6.30 am today to have a go, and again just now, nothing.
    Is there really such a difference in areas and testing stations. It would appear some are 'not busy' and you can just pop in at will, and other areas are completely overwhelmed. What area are you in that there is no availability?

Master
    The problem appears to be laboratories not being able to process the tests in a timely manner!https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54072479