closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega speed master MK2

Master

Omega speed master MK2

Hiya,
    New territory for me... Omega. I’m potentially looking about for a very good condition MK2 speedmaster and the prices seem to vary quite a lot. There is a fully restored- like new (by omega) MK2 on eBay for £4500 which is too much for me but looks very nice. What should I expect to pay for a MK2 with racing dial in good condition ? Anything I should watch out for besides service history and bad restorations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    #1. Bracelet stretch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omega speed master MK2

Not a great photo - as it’s now in safety deposit box, but here is mine. Bought here without bracelet for about £1400 some 6 years ago. It had had a recent full service and case lapping at Omega and is lovely.

Keep meaning to source a bracelet but hard to come by good ones and I’ve been happily trying it on different straps.

The price inflation is nothing like Rolex, but they have crept up. I think you should be able to find a nice piece circa £2500.

For me the racing dial makes the watch with the standard a bit boring.

Good luck in your search

Last edited by dandanthewatchman; 8th September 2020 at 19:52.

Master
    Mmmm nice Dan,
    Saw this on eBay. The new auto MK2 version is £4-5k where as a omega restored version is £4.5K . For that sort of wedge I’d rather have an original.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143717888238

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Mmmm nice Dan,
    Saw this on eBay. The new auto MK2 version is £4-5k where as a omega restored version is £4.5K . For that sort of wedge I’d rather have an original.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143717888238

You say 'Omega restored' like it is a good thing. Generally (but not always) an Omega service on a piece like a Mk2 involves replacing the dial*, hands*, crystal and refinishing the case. No one likes a scratched crystal so that is OK and the Mk2 case looks terrible when beaten up so that is forgivable too. A lot of the charm is in the bezel sunburst so a good refinish can be a plus but if you are content to have a watch full of replaced parts then save yourself some money and buy the co-axial Mk2 rerelease from the past few years, it'll be cheaper. A nice original Mk2 should be achievable for less than £2K. Replacement parts lower the value IMO not raise it as it is original only once.

*the replacements use Superluminova so have zero patina and won't age
    Last edited by Padders; 8th September 2020 at 20:30.

That one has a service dial. £1.8k - £2.5k is about right for a decent one depending on recent service, bracelet, etc.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    You say 'Omega restored' like it is a good thing. Generally (but not always) an Omega service on a piece like a Mk2 involves replacing the dial*, hands*, crystal and refinishing the case. No one likes a scratched crystal so that is OK and the Mk2 case looks terrible when beaten up so that is forgivable too. A lot of the charm is in the bezel sunburst so a good refinish can be a plus but if you are content to have a watch full of replaced parts then save yourself some money and buy the co-axial Mk2 rerelease from the past few years, it'll be cheaper. A nice original Mk2 should be achievable for less than £2K. Replacement parts lower the value IMO not raise it as it is original only once.

*the replacements use Superluminova so have zero patina and won't age
    Yeah, I see your point with the originality of the parts etc. I presumed that they were replaced with original like for like parts from the 1970s era. Not sure if the example that I showed had a new movement or a refurb. It would be interesting to know what was actually replaced with that example, aesthetically and mechanically.

Master

Omega speed master MK2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That one has a service dial. £1.8k - £2.5k is about right for a decent one depending on recent service, bracelet, etc.
    What,
    the eBay one?

What,
    the eBay one?
    Yes
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Yeah, I see your point with the originality of the parts etc. I presumed that they were replaced with original like for like parts from the 1970s era. Not sure if the example that I showed had a new movement or a refurb. It would be interesting to know what was actually replaced with that example, aesthetically and mechanically.

Omega can not and will not fit any replacement tritium lume parts so that precludes any original pre-1998 dials or hands with lume, if available at all, those are always modern Superluminova replacements. If you want original tritium parts you have to use an independent, sourcing such parts it now tricky and expensive. Movement parts are available to authorised channels but it would be very rare these days for a movement to be swapped in its entirety, that would be very expensive indeed. it was more common 30-40 years ago though when these watches weren't as valued as they are now. Movements then were swapped about by careless or creative watchmakers.
    Last edited by Padders; 8th September 2020 at 21:42.

Master
    Good luck with your quest and I agree with most comments made so far. I have made a few mistakes along the years and would defintely avoid overpolished case. Dings are less of an issue with laser welding and lapping.

It took me years to find one but mine is by far the best example of an original mark II that I have come across. It will give an idea of what to look for.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Master
    A wealth of information here, thankyou.
    It has got me thinking..... should I just buying a second hand modern version!!

I owns the new version and love it , bezel Lyme is awesome

- - - Updated - - -

I owns the new version and love it , bezel Lyme is awesome

Master
    I may well put a wanted up for one I think. Don’t seem to be many of the newer ones about secondhand.

Master
    Still looking but nothing really has turned that doesn’t need a case refurb!! Even the new MK2 that are up for £3k look battered!! This could be a painful search !!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Is there a certain way to differentiate between an original and a service dial, please? I'm also considering jumping down this rabbit hole.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Is there a certain way to differentiate between an original and a service dial, please? I'm also considering jumping down this rabbit hole.
    The original dials were all tritium and marked as such i.e. T SWISS MADE T. The recent service dials are Luminova and simply SWISS MADE.
    OP, I had seen your WTB and almost cracked and sent you a PM. I had two of possibly the best unrestored case MK2s and sold one of them a few years ago. The other (originally from Neil a.k.a Flame - the 'French' MK2) I still have but it now badly needs a service and is due to go to Simon Freese before too long. I have a pair of NOS tritium hands that I picked up years ago and they will probably be fitted, along with a new crystal. The orange hands have faded a bit but I'll likely keep them. When I get it back and sorted I'll either fall in love all over again, or let it go - I have way too many watches.
    Last edited by TomGW; 24th September 2020 at 23:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    The original dials were all tritium and marked as such i.e. T SWISS T. The recent service dials are Luminova and simply SWISS.
    OP, I had seen your WTB and almost cracked and sent you a PM. I had two of possibly the best unrestored case MK2s and sold one of them a few years ago. The other (originally from Neil a.k.a Flame - the 'French' MK2) I still have but it now badly needs a service and is due to go to Simon Freese before too long. I have a pair of NOS tritium hands that I picked up years ago and they will probably be fitted, along with a new crystal. The orange hands have faded a bit but I'll likely keep them. When I get it back and sorted I'll either fall in love all over again, or let it go - I have way too many watches.
    Let me know if you want to move the orange hands. I have a tritium racing dial but have lost the original hands during a service.

Journeyman
    I may well put a wanted up for one I think. Don’t seem to be many of the newer ones about secondhand.

OP -try the the Saleroom there is a racing co-axial coming up for auction on the 16th. PM me if you can’t find it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Hiya,
    Just found it on salesroom. Looks nice. Pics aren’t great, but might be worth a look , thankyou.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    The original dials were all tritium and marked as such i.e. T SWISS T. The recent service dials are Luminova and simply SWISS.
    Well I’m still looking... although my judgement has been fogged by a car bill £££ and the desire for a Tudor Monte Carlo... none of those about either?

Master

Got one... thanks for your help folks.

Did you receive the original dial and hands?

Master

Very nice. I think these look their best on the proper bracelet. Enjoy it. I’m a bit of a fan of this era, with a Heuer Pasadena and a Montreal, a LeJour 7750 and a few other similar, as well as my Mk2 Racing.

Master
    Yeap, I got the original dial and hands:)

bit bored so some pics of mine, the lume on the new ones is awsome ,much better than the originals