closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mumsnet issue

Blog Entries

Mumsnet issue

I spent alot of time teaching my son whose aged 6 to read the time , become accustomed to such things and so forth to aid his progression used the analogue reader as an aid and finally moved on and bought him a simple Casio f91w which he's wore in year 1 (including lockdown and attended school with it right through essential workers aid with the same said teacher whose asked him to take it off last week) and now into year 2.

He's been told he no longer should wear it - I'm assuming for Covid reasons and I can understand that if it is.

I'm happy if that is the new ruling as a blanket ban - but his two siblings both wear watches in the same school along with others who are obviously still wearing watches and have had no guidance or instruction not to wear them- there is also nothing in the back to school advice under the new Covid umbrella.

Should I let it go and let the teacher deem what is fit for his class or question the the seemingly muddled blanket ban or selective request.

Bear in mind the very teacher was happy to let him wear it from April-july in the peak of pandemic.

I'm thinking I'm making an issue and should leave the choice to her for her individual class.

Any suggestions or parents in a similar situation?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 8th September 2020 at 09:32.

Craftsman
    Hourly chime on?

Beeping when using the pushers/messing with alarm?

My 2 got asked not to use there's in school.

Master
    Is he perhaps playing with the watch in school and getting distracted?
    When kids were attending school during shut down I was given the impression that this period was one more of the kids being babysat rather than actual schooling and as such they wouldn’t have been bothered if he was playing with his watch back then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Hourly chime on?

Beeping when using the pushers/messing with alarm?

My 2 got asked not to use there's in school.
    I think it's still on yes -so very possible , yes very true It did cross my mind as a distraction. Would I seem pedantic asking for it to be allowed if the beepers /chime is silenced?

I also thought maybe it may clash with some kind of basic learning they may be eventually doing with the analogue reader (quarter past , half past the hour etc) and a digital will outwardly contradict their learning.

Last edited by bond; 8th September 2020 at 09:39.

Why does he desperately need to wear a watch at school? He’s 6.

Far more important things to worry about regarding schools and education.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Is he perhaps playing with the watch in school and getting distracted?
    When kids were attending school during shut down I was given the impression that this period was one more of the kids being babysat rather than actual schooling and as such they wouldn’t have been bothered if he was playing with his watch back then.
    Thats true , it was all over the place so no real learning being done.

Although he never seemed to have any raised issue about him fiddling with it prior to Lockdown in September year 1 to March, then again they aren't exactly exploring calculus in year 1 so the teachers would not of been expecting much if he was messing with it but I recall no issues.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

All true, but that's why I put it out here before making a non - issue. Then again I thought it important he learn a little time management , punctuality things like that. Plus it was originally a small aid to remind him when I'd return to pick him up when he was upset.

I'm not overly worried if he doesn't wear it, I'm wondering the reasoning behind it .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

The hell with it your right , he's there to learn, not stare at watches waiting to go home or become a watch freak . You've helped thanks . It can stay at home .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post

Should I let it go
    Yes.

In the bigger scheme of things (or even the smaller scheme of things) does it really matter?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Yes.

In the bigger scheme of things (or even the smaller scheme of things) does it really matter?
    Thanks , I already knew I wasn't going to do anything or mention it to the school but was trying to work out the reasoning. Hence me coming here to air the grievance (if it really is one, which it's not )

I'm not one of those parents challenging or contradicting their ruling on the schools policy or overriding their uniform policies, things like that, far from it. More curious as to a) is he distracted or b) it's Covid related.

Didn’t the teacher explain the reason to your son?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps the teacher is just being cautious. With all the hand washing taking place, she may be nervous allowing the 30m Casio near the sink. Maybe a DSSD on nato would do the trick .

Although I’d guess the distraction beeps/button pressing may be closer to the actual reason. Or extra Covid measures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Didn’t the teacher explain the reason to your son?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No it was in his bag this morning , I asked he said the teacher said to take it off - I assumed for some of the above replies like Covid, distractions, p.e or they are learning the time altogether with an analogue. I've not seen the teacher as we are not allowed through the gate just to drop in and they are brought out . I'll leave it be, it's their decision - I've over reacted. It will be for a rational reason I'm sure .

Hence me coming here to air the grievance (if it really is one, which it's not )
    You seem a bit confused, 007.

You have more pressing matters to deal with.

Oh, and would you mind handing back the Lotus? We've been waiting 40 years.

Just speak to the teacher, personally doubt it will be for Covid reasons.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Perhaps the teacher is just being cautious. With all the hand washing taking place, she may be nervous allowing the 30m Casio near the sink. Maybe a DSSD on nato would do the trick .

Although I’d guess the distraction beeps/button pressing may be closer to the actual reason. Or extra Covid measures.
    Maybe that's a good point . Or she's firmly against Casio and only sanctions handwound with screw down crowns.

My wife said as you mentioned, it's the extra Covid precautions - some schools are not allowed bags even apparently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    You seem a bit confused, 007.

You have more pressing matters to deal with.

Oh, and would you mind handing back the Lotus? We've been waiting 40 years.
    Its a little wet and rusty after being submerged in my outdoor pool . Too many parties , things got out of hand , showing off it took a dive and stayed there since ..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Just speak to the teacher, personally doubt it will be for Covid reasons.
    I was going to but in retrospect seems a little undermining from her standpoint. She must have a valid reason . If she broaches it to speak on fine but I'll go along with the decision .

Any further south and i would have wet feet

I'm not overly worried if he doesn't wear it, I'm wondering the reasoning behind it .
    Then may I suggest asking the teacher as opposed to bunch of internet weirdos?

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    That's a little unfair. There's more than a bunch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Haha if I could actually get into the school grounds I would. I may see her later when he comes out .

I knew I could rely on the consensus.

I'll tell her "TZ told me to let you off this time , your lucky otherwise if they'd of voted the other way he'd be wearing it and something better "

Maybe that's a good point . Or she's firmly against Casio and only sanctions handwound with screw down crowns.

My wife said as you mentioned, it's the extra Covid precautions - some schools are not allowed bags even apparently.

Our school started with no bags, just clear wipeable zip lock wallets to bring work home etc. Although we received a note saying ‘wipeable’ bags are now permitted. I have to say the teachers communication via the ‘SeeSaw’ app has been superb. Some homework will even be given this way to cut down on transferring items from school/homes. Children had to take in stationary at the start of term which stays in the classroom, another set remains at home.

I’d imagine the watch is indeed due to extra Covid precautions. Although do ask about a screw down crown .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    That's a little unfair. There's more than a bunch.

The hell with it your right , he's there to learn, not stare at watches waiting to go home or become a watch freak . You've helped thanks . It can stay at home .

I think you need to buy him a pocket watch.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Can't he just use his phone?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I think you need to buy him a pocket watch.
    Yes with his anthill mob , 3 piece suit he would look quite the mini mobster. Although being short and dark he may look like nick- nick from The man with the golden gun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can't he just use his phone?
    nope they started charging to charge it .

Haha no he's only 6 hasn't got one

Last edited by bond; 8th September 2020 at 15:29.

Blog Entries
    Teachers bottom line was today - the hourly beeping was the issue and fine to wear if the chime was silenced.

Main issue was him throwing rocks today ...he's going to need a G shock for this rough and tumble.

Tightwad.... Get the lad a Rolex

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    Tightwad.... Get the lad a Rolex
    Haha may do, although those waiting lists ...

Timex will suffice for now ..

Pick your battles carefully.
    There may come a time when you need to engage with the school about something important.

Being known as the bloke who made a big issue over nothing wouldn’t help your case

Hardly a battle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Pick your battles carefully.
    There may come a time when you need to engage with the school about something important.

Being known as the bloke who made a big issue over nothing wouldn’t help your case
    Yes that's true , I'm fully aware I'd become ' that ' confrontational dad.

I didn't say anything in the end it was irrational of me to consider it an issue. In the end the teacher had no issue him wearing it (even with me mentioning it can be left at home if an issue) . It was just the beeps which was easily silenced.

Master
    OT: In the early process of trying to teach my son the time too...
    I always fear teaching him digital time is not the right thing to do, what is your view on that? I know you said you used analogue clock too...
    He can read the digital clock in the room at night and knows when it is 6 or 7 for example, but he is younger than yours so cannot really read the time from a conventional clock at this point.

What was your reason for giving him a digital rather than a cheap two or three hander?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    OT: In the early process of trying to teach my son the time too...
    I always fear teaching him digital time is not the right thing to do, what is your view on that? I know you said you used analogue clock too...
    He can read the digital clock in the room at night and knows when it is 6 or 7 for example, but he is younger than yours so cannot really read the time from a conventional clock at this point.

What was your reason for giving him a digital rather than a cheap two or three hander?
    Well my two elder , middle children both have those little step counter, digital wristlet things that link to a health app and mum works at a hospital in cardiology. They like to count their steps , heart rate and change the font and the wallpaper etc.

The youngests fascination with their digitals was requiring quenching and I thought the best way to go was the everlasting f91w. He's easily fooled it's a top end smartwatch!!!

Both the other two had f91w's , one each prior in bright garish colours.

We had some children's Timex easy readers on offer but nobody wanted one.

Believe me, I'm all about the analogue but these kids today it's like asking them to write with a Quill and ink. Digital clocks everywhere - in fact I doubt they even need a watch with the bombardment of time apps, digital readers everywhere. I know I don't realistically.

I don't think there is anything inherently 'wrong' using a digital and yes I could of let him have a simple 3 hander but I guessed the school may have that on their learning agenda at some point and didn't want to hinder that.

Will it interfere - who knows. Can he read and pronounce the full time correctly , yes he can. He will say for instance it's 7.24 etc. He's a rough and tumble child and it's had heavy use and still going strong. For £8 that's hard to beat. Showering , swimming or anything really

My eldest daughter , 17 doesn't wear a digital or smartwatch oddly , instead a strict three handed watch.

I'd say it's a sibling influence if anything. Once the f91w kicks the bucket we will probably move to an analogue.

My observations at the schools , in the streets and in general is there seems a progressive phasing out of classical time reading devices in the youth . Many either a) not wearing a watch opting for smartphone usage b) wearing a smartwatch in favour of apple watches etc.

I'd prefer him to at least be interested in the concept of reading the time or watches whatever format that takes and maybe fire his interest further down the line to other watches . If not, what can you do ?!!!??

Last edited by bond; 13th September 2020 at 12:13.