closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Seiko SPB149 and SLA039 (added!)

New Seiko SPB149 and SLA039 (added!)

This is just a place-holder post. I picked this up this afternoon, along with something else interesting, from the same dealer. This is a quick pic - tomorrow, I'll take my camera to work, and have a go at getting some more pictures.

For now, on a C&B Chevron.

More tomorrow.
    Last edited by Qatar-wol; 8th September 2020 at 13:53.

Your Seiko dealer is doing well out of you with double purchases.
    Looking forward to the rest of the post.
    You didn't go for one of the hi-beat GMTs did you?
    Dave

Master
    Nice pickup Walt! I look forward to your pics, and the mystery second watch :)

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Congratulations, this one is definitely on my radar now

Master
    Nice but I wish Seiko would use dial coloured day wheels, they are hardly a microbrand!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Nice but I wish Seiko would use dial coloured day wheels, they are hardly a microbrand!
    I think the watch would look awful with a dial coloured date wheel, plus the white is more in fitting with the original.

Master
    Agreed - the white date wheel actually balances the dial nicely - esp for the 143 and 149 variants.

Master
    Agreed, gives some symmetry and balance between 3 and 9 'markers'.

By the way, great photo - if you are getting the camera out for the next shot, what did you use to photograph this. Looks like your phone has a great camera anyway.

You’ve done well to bag one. I came close but the dealer let me down.

Congrats!

Master
    It looks great on that strap.

My local AD recently stopped offering to preorder the 149 on their website, so I suspect UK allocation is drying up. I have put in an order for a 149, after reading James Stacey’s review on Hodinkee. Although the 153 was tempting, when I realised it was a bit smaller than a SRP Turtle. An AD in Glasgow has a 147 in, but the city recently locked down again.

It’s been a long time since I looked forward this much to a Seiko arriving, not to mention the most I’ve ever spent on one. I hope the bezel/dial alignment is as good as the OP’s watch, at least there is no chapter ring to screw up.

Now, what is the other watch?

Dave
    Last edited by dforgrieve; 7th September 2020 at 21:26.

Congrats! Everything looks as if it lines up?

One of Seikos best over the last few years IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post
    It looks great on that strap.

My local AD recently stopped offering to preorder the 149 on their website, so I suspect UK allocation is drying up. I have put in an order for a 149, after reading James Stacey’s review on Hodinkee. An AD in Glasgow has a 147 in, but the city has recently locked down again.

It’s been a long time since I looked forward this much to a Seiko arriving, not to mention the most I’ve ever spent on one. I hope the bezel/dial alignment is as good as the OP’s watch, at least there is no chapter ring to screw up.

Dave
    I was told recently by Seiko that all the UK allocation has now been distributed so I assume the 149’s are totally sold out. I have one in the mid 3000 range and I have noticed a few on C24 in Europe in the high 4000 range.

There are a great watch and wear excellent on the wrist plus look good on a range of straps. I would go as far to say they punch way above there RRP and in my opinion on par with the BB58 in terms of quality but look better and at less than half the price!
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 7th September 2020 at 21:46.

Absolutely lovely! Wish I could try one somewhere, too expensive to buy blind although I’m quite sure it’s stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your comments and posts!

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Your Seiko dealer is doing well out of you with double purchases.
    Looking forward to the rest of the post.
    You didn't go for one of the hi-beat GMTs did you?
    Dave
    Good guess, but no! I seem to be on speed-dial with the salesman - any time he's got something interesting, he send me a WhatsApp. Plus (in these difficult, 2020, waves hands ineefctually at everything COVID-19 days), he delivers!

I'll update the thread title when I've got pictures of the other one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I'm with the majority here in the thread - I like the white day wheel - it provides a nice balance to the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    By the way, great photo - if you are getting the camera out for the next shot, what did you use to photograph this. Looks like your phone has a great camera anyway.
    To be fair, that first shot was also with my camera - this time, a Sony RX100 (Mk3, camera nerds). And of course, not I've got time to set up a shot today, I don't think the pictures came out as well as last night's snatched snap!

But I thought I'd post anyway.

UniquNice 55th anniversary box. Unique rubber strap, bracelet with solid end links (yay) and pins/collars (boo). I've worn in on the C&B strap as it usually takes me a while to work out whether I was to keep a watch - whether it'll be a keeper.

First impressions are that it's small! Smaller than I was expecting, at just over 40mm, and under 48mm lug to lug. It's 14mm thick, but some of that is down to the lovely domed sapphire, so I won't complain.

The case is lovely - the interplay between the polished bevels that separate the brushed sides and case top. Drilled lugs! Screw-down unsigned crown. The dial is not quite grey, not quite blue. The lume is strong, and hands are just delicious. Impossible to tell from my poor pics, but see how the hands are faceted - two facets? One facet is polished, the other is brushed. Hard to see, but real attention to detail. No rehault, so no alignment issues there!

The bezel has attracted some criticism for possibly being a little wide, but not to my eyes. 120 clicks, and circular brushing, it's got a lovely feel.

it's a delightful little watch, and I'm very pleased with it. Subjectively, it feels like a much more expensive watch. The UK list was about £1200, I think, and if you can find one for around a grand, you won't be disappointed.

More soon with watch number 2!

Trying and failing to catch the hands.

Master
    Thanks for sharing Walt. What size wrists are you btw? I sense it's similar to mine around 6.5/6.7"? I'm interested in the chevron strap as a regular NATO is just too long and I don't like the extra flappy tucky bit at the top side of the wrist.

Anyways, I know what you mean about the brushings of the hands.. had to capture but here's my best shot of it. Really makes the hands visible in all lighting conditions.

Last edited by KingKitega; 8th September 2020 at 10:54.

thought that Seiko might use the same case of SBDC059 for this one but it seems it is smaller and of different shape..
    Last edited by seikomatic; 8th September 2020 at 10:06.

Master
    The 143 is in stock at Jura. There’s possibly a way to get a bit more off RRP - happy to help by PM if anyone is looking for one.

Super photso, KingKitega - thanks for sharing those.

And no, seikomatic - it's a smaller case. Much more wearable than the, what? 42mm bigger watch.

My wrists are about 19cm, so about 7 1/2 inches. The watch feels smaller than most that Iwear, but it's a lovely size.

I'm a big fan of the Chevron straps. Here are a couple more -

Walter that looks superb and I love the cool packaging wear it in very good health.

OK, here's the other one. Quick snaps again. More soon.

Master
    Just ordered a couple straps for the SPB149.. The chevron mentioned here, and also a Lunar Nylon here:

https://lunarwatchstraps.com/collect...ue-gold-stripe

Both are the adjustable type so hopefully works well for my skinny wrists.

That Lunar looks nice, and a good price, compared to the C&B.

Lookit dem hips.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Just ordered a couple straps for the SPB149.. The chevron mentioned here, and also a Lunar Nylon here:

https://lunarwatchstraps.com/collect...ue-gold-stripe

Both are the adjustable type so hopefully works well for my skinny wrists.

These also look very good although I have not tried one.

https://thestraptailor.com/product-c...-watch-straps/

Better pics to come tonight, when I get home.

Two watches I'd be very happy owning.
    "A man of little significance"

Indeed both are gorgeous, thanks for the pics! Different straps look great on these.

Two cracking looking watches , thanks for posting .

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Better pics to come tonight, when I get home.

This just looks stunning. Nobody nails the blue dial/black bezel combo like Seiko.

Here you go - last few pics before I stop spamming the thread!

What a backside...

Craftsman
    Spam all you like! Both amazing watches, 039 would be my pick.

They look great, they really do.
    Were these bought with a view to keeping one, or both? I guess probably not.
    It would be difficult to choose between them I guess, as they are so totally different answers to the same question of dive watch design.
    The SLA would seem to me to be a little more elegantly accomplished, but it is a case type you have a few examples of in the collection.
    Do I sense a video in production?

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    They look great, they really do.
    Were these bought with a view to keeping one, or both? I guess probably not.
    It would be difficult to choose between them I guess, as they are so totally different answers to the same question of dive watch design.
    The SLA would seem to me to be a little more elegantly accomplished, but it is a case type you have a few examples of in the collection.
    Do I sense a video in production?
    We'll see about the video! Let's see how much time I've got!

I bought both to wear, but watches rarely stay with me for long, unless they're rather special, or a particularly good fit with me. I just reached for one to wear for the rest of the day after taking these pictures, and I reached for the SLA, so that might mean something?

I've taken a few pictures to compare the two watches, and given the similar design brief, there are some significant differences. I know that the SLA, the bigger one, is a homage to an older design, so is using 50-year-old design language, and aping the case that was necessary for 300m WR back then, but it really is surprising how much thicker it is than the SPB.

Both work nicely, I think, on a single-pass nylon strap, but I tried both on a regular NATO, and with two thicknesses of strap behind the watch head, it was just unbalanced. The SLA might be bigger and thicker, but that big wide flat base means that it sits very flatly on the wrist. It would even more so if I wore it on the rubber provided.

Side on, the difference in the case styles is magnified.

But the biggest difference, and the one you won't see in pictures of the watch on the Seiko website, is the difference in the distance between the underside of the crystal and the dial. I've tried to show it here. There is much more space in the SLA, for want of a better word.

At least neither of them had misaligned chapter rings. As neither of them have chapter rings.

Both look great Walter. With that case profile, the SLA039 is my favourite of the two.

That you - it's the one I find myself reaching for, in preference to the SPB!

Bumping this old thread because I took a quick staycation this week. I decided to only take one watch. I knew I'd be in the pool more time than not, and I also knew that I'd be kicked awake a few times by my kids, so I needed something with good lume. It also pleased me to be wearing a Seiko in a pool full of brash and more obvious watches. (Albeit a Seiko that probably cost more than some of them!)

This is, and I cannot stress this enough, A Good Watch.

A beautiful and classic Seiko diver, which looks very good on your wrist...I think you should get extra points for the photo with the swimming pool and palm trees too, it's been very wet and windy in the UK, but it's ok we're not jealous

Journeyman
    just recently discovered these SPBs and absolutely love them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I’ve fallen headfirst for Seiko in the last few weeks. Have just picked up an SLA021 MM300......love it

Adore the 039, probably my fave, enjoy and by all means, keep posting