closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Driving Licence Photo Selfie?

Driving Licence Photo Selfie?

Having just passed my 70th birthday ( I know, I don't look it) I have to renew my Driving Licence.

The old licence was a paper one, so no photograph exists on Govt. records. I don't have a valid passport.

I need to generate a photo acceptable to DVLA.

Google has conflicting advice, from "not worth the hassle" to "piece of pish, print your own".

A middle course seems to be using epassportphotos.com or similar.

Anyone got previous for this? Any words of wisdom? I can't visit a photo booth due to covid lockdown measures.

SydR
    Mine and Mrs Syd’s current passport and driving license photos are one I took.

Most important parts are to obverse the rules on background, size and area on photo your face takes up.

I did my own, first one rejected due to a spot light above shining on my bald head!

My advice would be find a plain wall and take it in natural light if possible.

Cheers

Ross

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post

Most important parts are to obverse the rules on background, size and area on photo your face takes up.
    This ^ especially if you have a tablet/ pad and can get a bigger view then edit if necessary before upload.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    I did my own, first one rejected due to a spot light above shining on my bald head!

My advice would be find a plain wall and take it in natural light if possible.

Cheers

Ross
    Should have said it was your Halo
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post

This. And no shadow on face, so choose position with a thought to light source.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.
    Front-facing camera on a Motorola G8 Power OK? My wife is all but blind and couldn't help out.

Judging by the quality of reproduction on the actual licence, you might as well do a self-portrait in crayon, using your non-dominant hand.

If you take it on a non sunny day / flat lighting outside and a plain wall you should be fine.

If you're applying on-line, it's much easier to find a supermarket or post office with a photo booth where you can select passport/driving licence compliant photos which come with an umpteen digit code that's accessible by the DVLA.

You don't need to upload a photo with your application, you input the code & your photo comes up for you to verify.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Judging by the quality of reproduction on the actual licence, you might as well do a self-portrait in crayon, using your non-dominant hand.
    ^^^ Superb!

Are the photo booths in train stations locked due to Covid-19 restrictions? If they are, then as above, really.

Bright natural light against a white wall. Not wearing glasses - if you have to wear glasses then your eyes must be visible rather than the reflections of your glasses.

You should have a plain expression so don't smile or frown. Don't crop it, let them do it.

Once you have taken a decent photo, you can use this site which is free and poduces 4 passport style photos for you to download.

http://www.epassportphoto.com/

Master
    When I got to 70 they issued mine using my passport photo, so I did not need to send anything in.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    Once you have taken a decent photo, you can use this site which is free and poduces 4 passport style photos for you to download.

http://www.epassportphoto.com/
    Thanks LuvWatch, that sounds just the ticket.

Thanks to others for their input; note that as previously stated, I don't have a passport. Also, due to wishing to retain Granddad rights to several classes of vehicle, I can't apply online, it has to be by post.

When I turned 70 three years ago, I just took a selfie and it's worked fine for both my driver's license and passport photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    When I got to 70 they issued mine using my passport photo, so I did not need to send anything in.
    Same for me but mine was a case of applying for a photo license to replace the paper one following an address change. Simply input my passport details and it came within a few days (and I had used a photo from my iphone for the passport too)

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Thanks LuvWatch, that sounds just the ticket.

Thanks to others for their input; note that as previously stated, I don't have a passport. Also, due to wishing to retain Granddad rights to several classes of vehicle, I can't apply online, it has to be by post.
    I just moved to a photo licence it was all done online (did have a valid passport). I took a scan of old licence as was worried about motorcycle entitlement but all came through OK.

Ironically one chap in the office has full motorcycle entitlement despite never having had a lesson or taken a test so the system is definitely not infallible...

I just did a quick selfie on my iPhone 10, uploaded it to DVLA, the little gauge online went round to green suggesting it was a good image, 10 days later my new passport arrived. Easy and quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    If you're applying on-line, it's much easier to find a supermarket or post office with a photo booth where you can select passport/driving licence compliant photos which come with an umpteen digit code that's accessible by the DVLA.

You don't need to upload a photo with your application, you input the code & your photo comes up for you to verify.
    I did my last one at the post office, it was dead easy.
    Finding a photo booth in the UK to get my Irish passport photo renewed was a different story altogether