closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Jubilee Everest

Quote Originally Posted by oca9i View Post
    Tks for your reply @Ruggertech hmm it means that the shop was open before 14:00 ? i need each time to fill in the details of the credit card...
    It opened before in that you could add a watch to your cart, but checkout wasn't available until 14:00. On my mobile my payment details minus the security code automatically fills in on order forms, so that took literally seconds, but the watch came up as sold out immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    It opened before in that you could add a watch to your cart, but checkout wasn't available until 14:00. On my mobile my payment details minus the security code automatically fills in on order forms, so that took literally seconds, but the watch came up as sold out immediately.
    Tks Ruggertech... it's my 04th attempts which i failed to obtain the silver jubilee...

I kept refreshing from 13:58 and as soon as it opened got one in the basket, immediately clicked to the second page and then onto the third that showed all my details, furthest that I have ever got. Clicked again and got the sold out message. Checked the time, it was 14:00:18 - so I do not buy the bullshit that people must have ordered quicker - it’s just a crap system.

Beats me why Eddie wastes his time on developing new models when no bugger can buy them.

As long as the three or four guys selling theirs on e-bay get sorted that all that really matters, sod the rest of us.

Tks Ruggertech... it's my 04th attempts which i failed to obtain the silver jubilee...
    Out of at least half a dozen previous attempts I've been successfull twice, with a Caribbean and a gilt Everest, both of which I subsequently sold on sales corner. I regret selling the Everest now and fancied the Jubilee in its stead. But as I said, there is no way I could have been quicker today, or on my other failed attempts.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I kept refreshing from 13:58 and as soon as it opened got one in the basket, immediately clicked to the second page and then onto the third that showed all my details, furthest that I have ever got. Clicked again and got the sold out message. Checked the time, it was 14:00:18 - so I do not buy the bullshit that people must have ordered quicker - it’s just a crap system.

Beats me why Eddie wastes his time on developing new models when no bugger can buy them.

As long as the three or four guys selling theirs on e-bay get sorted that all that really matters, sod the rest of us.
    those gentlemen did use certainly the bot to purchase the watches from timefactors and re sell it on ebay...

4th time for me, got almost there last time, today I didn't get anywhere near it. Mad how I still get a little excited leading up to it when in reality you know that it probably won't happen.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

I just don't bother anymore, saves time, stress and disappointment.

i hope that there's still some of its available for the next openning in 2 or 3 weeks !

I suppose the problem is that the watches are very much in demand so you’ll have say 500 people trying to buy 200 watches all starting the process at exactly 1400 so a second or so can make all the difference.
    Congratulations to all those who did manage to pick one up today - and on the bright side for those who didn’t succeed today at least there will be less people trying to buy next time the store opens so your chances should be much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

746 people placed items in the cart today, 207 orders made it through before the site shut down. The black dial Everests and Silver Jubilee sold out in 40 seconds. I don't think internet speed is the only facctor because the first 10 orders to come through were from the US and I would expect there is some latency on long distance connections.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornish Bob View Post
    4th time for me, got almost there last time, today I didn't get anywhere near it. Mad how I still get a little excited leading up to it when in reality you know that it probably won't happen.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk
    3rd attempt for a Silver Jubilee for me today. I was logged in, didn't have to input my address, had my credit card number ready to paste. Fastest finger started at 14:00:00, I was feeling slightly confident when I got further than my previous two attempts.....then the plug was pulled. Time 14:00:35. Missed the first 15 minutes of my son's football match for that, in which time he'd already scored the first two of his four goals. Not sure I can go through that again.

Here’s what the US buyers do with theirs:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/all/smith...id22144957.htm

Maybe it’s time to rename the forum TZUS if they are the preferred customers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    746 people placed items in the cart today, 207 orders made it through before the site shut down.
    Wow, interesting numbers. It does show the need to get to the checkout stage as quickly as possible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    3rd attempt for a Silver Jubilee for me today. I was logged in, didn't have to input my address, had my credit card number ready to paste. Fastest finger started at 14:00:00, I was feeling slightly confident when I got further than my previous two attempts.....then the plug was pulled. Time 14:00:35. Missed the first 15 minutes of my son's football match for that, in which time he'd already scored the first two of his four goals. Not sure I can go through that again.
    This must be really, really frustrating. Obviously it is. I wasn't ordering today but if I remember correctly 14:00:35 is roughly the same as some orders I have successfully completed on previous opening days, so it seems you were unlucky. However, it is possible to proceed more quickly, although it sounds like you were doing the right things. Did you keep the product page as a favourites bar link so as to go right to it?

At least there aren't any mythical waiting lists. ;-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th January 2022 at 18:48.

746 people placed items in the cart today, 207 orders made it through before the site shut down. The black dial Everests and Silver Jubilee sold out in 40 seconds. I don't think internet speed is the only facctor because the first 10 orders to come through were from the US and I would expect there is some latency on long distance connections.

Eddie
    I was close with my estimate; so next time around only 539 to beat - the odds are getting better

Thumbs up

Here’s what the US buyers do with theirs:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/all/smith...id22144957.htm

it's unfair for your old longtime european customers Eddie lol

Blog Entries
    Who said US buyers were the preferred customers? They just got through first on this occasion. Perhaps there are simply more US buyers meaning that they are more likely to be amongst the first. Or perhaps they are simply more dedicated to the techniques of high-competition consumerism. ;-)

Eddie
    Eddie,

i did manage to get one JUbilee in the cart at 14:00:15, but the checkout button was NOT on the page ! I use CHROME browser to do the purchase on timefactors.com
    I did try to do page refresh several times but it's useless...

Feel very lucky and excited to have my order go through earlier today. I'm UK based, not US and have been a forum member for a while.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This must be really, really frustrating. Obviously it is. I wasn't ordering today but if I remember correctly 14:00:35 is roughly the same as some orders I have successfully completed on previous opening days, so it seems you were unlucky. However, it is possible to proceed more quickly, although it sounds like you were doing the right things. Did you keep the product page as a favourites bar link so as to go right to it?

At least there aren't any mythical waiting lists. ;-)
    I was refreshing the Silver Jubilee page continually up to the 2pm starting pistol. It came up to buy at precisely 14:00:00.

Who said US buyers were the preferred customers? They just got through first on this occasion. Perhaps there are simply more US buyers meaning that they are more likely to be amongst the first. Or perhaps they are simply more dedicated to the techniques of high-competition consumerism. ;-)
    There is absolutely no loyalty to TZ based customers. People have even suggested perhaps a few windows only be announced in the restricted areas of the forum and not at all on the website and that would at least give people on here a chance to buy. It won’t happen though. At least three or four on e-bay and one on Chrono24 at present, so some punters are treating Eddie as a cash cow - if he is happy with supplying to touts then all is good in the world.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I was refreshing the Silver Jubilee page continually up to the 2pm starting pistol. It came up to buy at precisely 14:00:00.
    I suggest not refreshing ahead of time. There is no point. It could in fact (slightly) slow down acquisition of the updated page due to cache latency.

Better in my experience to store a link to the exact product page and go to it directly the moment 14:00 hits, but not before.

Pretty sure the Shopify servers are in the US, so US customers will have a big advantage over anyone in the UK. There is considerable latency on long internet connections.

All else being equal, the US boys will win every time.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I suggest not refreshing ahead of time. There is no point. It could in fact (slightly) slow down acquisition of the updated page due to cache latency.

Better in my experience to store a link to the exact product page and go to it directly the moment 14:00 hits, but not before.
    Thanks Mark. I'll do that next time. If there is a next time!

Blog Entries
    There is absolutely no loyalty to TZ based customers.
    Greater 'loyalty' to customers using TZ-UK would imply 'disloyalty' to equally valid customers who are not on TZ-UK. Surely that would not be any more fair overall.

People have even suggested perhaps a few windows only be announced in the restricted areas of the forum and not at all on the website and that would at least give people on here a chance to buy.
    People on here do have a chance to buy successfully.

As an example: Although I wasn't buying today, I have successfully purchased at every opening I've taken part in (that's five times) since late August when I got my act together and figured out what I'd have to do to be successful. Prior to that I missed out because I had not adequately streamlined my purchase steps. Those five purchases (one watch per shop opening) were for high demand items as well as one low demand item.

It won’t happen though. At least three or four on e-bay and one on Chrono24 at present, so some punters are treating Eddie as a cash cow - if he is happy with supplying to touts then all is good in the world.
    Yes, this is very upsetting. But looking at absolute numbers, it actually seems to be only a small proportion of overall sales. It would appear that most watches really are going to people who actually do want them.

If you've personally lost out it can be frustrating. I'm in the lucky position of having snagged what I tried to get since late August. There are external technical factors that can make a difference but the fact that I was successful in London (and that 10 US buyers were successful) proves that there is nothing stopping TZ-UK members buying successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Pretty sure the Shopify servers are in the US, so US customers will have a big advantage over anyone in the UK. There is considerable latency on long internet connections.

Main Shopify servers are in US I understand but they have international CDN providers I believe. That said, of course, a CDN will suffer from network latency too when it comes to dynamic updates, albeit hopefully less than the open Internet. A CDN could potentially introduce caching issues too.

Nevertheless, the fact that UK and rest of world customers can and do order successfully means that US customers are not uniquely successful.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th January 2022 at 19:53.

I had right hand on laptop and left hand on the mobile. Sale went through on my mobile, which worked much quicker (was on 4g) than the laptop.

Greater 'loyalty' to customers using TZ-UK would imply 'disloyalty' to equally valid customers who are not on TZ-UK. Surely that would not be any more fair overall.

People on here do have a chance to buy successfully.

As an example: Although I wasn't buying today, I have successfully purchased at every opening I've taken part in (that's five times) since late August when I got my act together and figured out what I'd have to do to be successful. Prior to that I missed out because I had not adequately streamlined my purchase steps. Those five purchases (one watch per shop opening) were for high demand items as well as one low demand item.

Yes, this is very upsetting. But looking at absolute numbers, it actually seems to be only a small proportion of overall sales. It would appear that most watches really are going to people who actually do want them.

If you've personally lost out it can be frustrating. I'm in the lucky position of having snagged what I tried to get since late August. There are external technical factors that can make a difference but the fact that I was successful in London (and that 10 US buyers were successful) proves that there is nothing stopping TZ-UK members buying successfully.
    Not really on topic but I’m curious what pieces you’ve got Mark? If you don’t mind sharing.

i am just sad as it's all now sold out ...i think i am going to comfort myself with this one : :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is absolutely no loyalty to TZ based customers. People have even suggested perhaps a few windows only be announced in the restricted areas of the forum and not at all on the website and that would at least give people on here a chance to buy. It won’t happen though. At least three or four on e-bay and one on Chrono24 at present, so some punters are treating Eddie as a cash cow - if he is happy with supplying to touts then all is good in the world.
    I don't believe he is 'happy' supplying to touts, furthermore it's not a nice thing to even suggest it.

The demand significantly outstrips the supply and so there's always going to be a lot of disappointment, however it's also true that 200+ people are going to be pleased each and every time the shop is opened.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 16th January 2022 at 20:01.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Can I ask you what is the browser you used ? Chrome, Edge or else ?
    At 14:00:19, i've got one in the cart but i could not see the checkout button, i did refresh the page several times (ctrl+R) but still the check out button is not present/shown !
    I use chrome and i have a fiber optic internet ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfisherman View Post
    Not really on topic but I’m curious what pieces you’ve got Mark? If you don’t mind sharing.
    Everest Expedition
    Caribbean Yellow/Blue
    Dreadnought Polar
    Silver Jubilee
    Seafire

As far as I can tell, the first four were all high demand on the occasions I managed to get them (even though the Polar is currently still in stock).

Regrettably I didn't try to buy a Monopusher but, had I tried, I think I would have been successful. Difficult to tell for sure though without actually doing it. ;-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th January 2022 at 20:08.

Blog Entries
    Can I ask you what is the browser you used ? Chrome, Edge or else ?
    Edge.

It's not my favourite browser but I find it effective for this sort of thing.

My Internet connection is a very average FTTC VDSL2. However, it strikes me that latency issues are more of a concern than out and out speed.

At 14:00:19, i've got one in the cart but i could not see the checkout button, i did refresh the page several times (ctrl+R) but still the check out button is not present/shown !
    I use chrome and i have a fiber optic internet ...
    This is odd but I have experienced similar. It reflects what I experienced back in (I think) July or early August when pages did not seem to update for me but apparently did for others. I put it down to cache not updating properly.

After that experience I decided to clear my browser cache of HTML and images before the 14:00 opening time to ensure, as far as I was able to locally, that I was getting fresh data from the server. I then saved a favourite bar link to be able to go directly to the product page in which I was interested at exactly 14:00.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th January 2022 at 20:07.

Edge.

It's not my favourite browser but I find it effective for this sort of thing.

After that experience I decided to clear my browser cache of HTML and images before the 14:00 opening time to ensure, as far as I was able to locally, that I was getting fresh data from the server. I then saved a favourite bar link to be able to go directly to the product page in which I was interested at exactly 14:00.
    Thanks Mark, i will try to use Edge next time ...

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I don't believe he is 'happy' supplying to touts, furthermore it's not a nice thing to even suggest it.

The demand significantly outstrips the supply and so there's always going to be a lot of disappointment, however it's also true that 200+ people are going to be pleased each and every time the shop is opened.

R
    Why not work on updating the ordering system or considering different methods of payment. I suspect (based solely on my own experience) that people try to put one watch in the basket and try to buy it in double quick time, the chances of being able to perhaps add some straps or order more than one watch have to be nil because the shop would be shut before you had even finished adding items to your basket. What therefore is the point in having such things on the site and bringing new watches in if people other than a few savvy yanks are able to buy them. There are many on here who are not just unlucky today, they have probably failed 5 or 6 times on the trot and in reality the only chance of owning the watch is by feeding the touts on e-bay.

Blog Entries
    Why not work on updating the ordering system or considering different methods of payment.[...] the chances of being able to perhaps add some straps or order more than one watch have to be nil
    (a) It is not mandatory to buy a watch. One could buy several straps or other low demand items in the time that the shop is open.

(b) It has been suggested that the shop could open for low demand items only but Eddie and his helper would still have to package and post them, even though they are currently fully occupied with shipping (presumably mostly) high demand items. This approach would therefore result in even fewer high demand watches being shipped to eager customers than at present.

in reality the only chance of owning the watch is by feeding the touts on e-bay.
    This is simply untrue.

Thanks Mark, i will try to use Edge next time ...
    Edge is a Chrome clone. Just saying.

Master

Is the issue that European cards use 3D secure authentication which would will add additional step and delay whilst the cardholder confirms the transaction.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Is the issue that European cards use 3D secure authentication which would will add additional step and delay whilst the cardholder confirms the transaction.
    I pay using a UK Visa debit card and I do not need to carry out a manual authentication step on timefactors.com. The 3D thing is done for me without manual intervention.

Deity forbid that I should speak for Raffe but the issue that he referred to was network latency.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    That could be another problem.

Altogether this seems a problem that is easier to complain about than to solve. As long as demand continues to substantially outstrip supply, there will be more losers than winners for every shop opening.

There exist ways to tilt the playing field in favour of forum members if that is what Eddie wants, he could simply announce the next shopping window exclusively via the forum. Of course that won't solve the problem completely, but it will at least provide an opportunity for some who continuously lost out over the past months.

That could be another problem.

Altogether this seems a problem that is easier to complain about than to solve. As long as demand continues to substantially outstrip supply, there will be more losers than winners for every shop opening.

There exist ways to tilt the playing field in favour of forum members if that is what Eddie wants, he could simply announce the next shopping window exclusively via the forum. Of course that won't solve the problem completely, but it will at least provide an opportunity for some who continuously lost out over the past months.
    ^^^ That would at least provide a playing field, its degree of levelness could be debated afterwards.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

It's not just a Time Factors thing.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/30/adele...utes-15512995/

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    I pay using a UK Visa debit card and I do not need to carry out a manual authentication step on timefactors.com. The 3D thing is done for me without manual intervention.

Deity forbid that I should speak for Raffe but the issue that he referred to was network latency.
    Strange, I wonder if this is a recent specific bank authentication addition as I also use UK Visa Debit and got caught out with an extra transaction approval step yesterday which I wasn't expecting as I haven't had to do this last time (the only time) I was lucky enough to purchase from the shop. This unfortunately cost me valuable seconds which in the end cost me the watch I suspect.

The two on e-bay went for £605 and £626 this morning. I did put an offer in on the one a scouse git is asking a grand for, but that was rejected. No counter offer mind, that would have clearly been beyond him. Little point in doing a WTB, there are already several on the go without success. Never mind, I’ll head over to Goldsmiths and see if they have a BLRO or a Daytona in stock, they will be much easier to obtain

The seller from Liverpool is a member here, so take comfort in the fact that one of your own buys one of Eddie’s watches for £365.00 and now wants £975.00 for it. He had a pop at me via e-bay, obviously to ensure that I didn’t see his TZ user name which I would have named and shamed - you Sir are an utter disgrace to this forum.

The seller from Liverpool is a member here, so take comfort in the fact that one of your own buys one of Eddie’s watches for £365.00 and now wants £975.00 for it. He had a pop at me via e-bay, obviously to ensure that I didn’t see his TZ user name which I would have named and shamed - you Sir are an utter disgrace to this forum.
    He's also got a new baby dreadnought for sale, although that doesn't help identify his username here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    Strange, I wonder if this is a recent specific bank authentication addition as I also use UK Visa Debit and got caught out with an extra transaction approval step yesterday which I wasn't expecting as I haven't had to do this last time (the only time) I was lucky enough to purchase from the shop. This unfortunately cost me valuable seconds which in the end cost me the watch I suspect.
    Yes, I think it is both issuing bank-dependent and site-dependent. With this card (Co-operative) I used to have to carry out the manual authentication step on every website I bought from but then it stopped. The interstitial page is still briefly visible but requires no manual intervention. It's not my browser doing it for me. This is all true except rarely: The occasional site still requires manual interstitial authentication. Luckily not timefactors.com for me so far, though.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 17th January 2022 at 14:33.

Blog Entries
    I did put an offer in on the one a scouse git is asking a grand for, but that was rejected. No counter offer mind, that would have clearly been beyond him.
    It really annoys me when eBay sellers use Best Offer but don't engage with counter-offers. It often seems to me to be a very British thing. People in other countries seem in my experience to be far more willing to engage with counter-offers and generally haggle.

It really annoys me when eBay sellers use Best Offer but don't engage with counter-offers. It often seems to me to be a very British thing. People in other countries seem in my experience to be far more willing to engage with counter-offers and generally haggle.
    I’m glad it’s not just me that it annoys

Don't think he is a member here, but he is a member on TRF: https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost.php?p=11105515
    Last edited by Raffe; 18th January 2022 at 09:31.

Has anyone who purchased on Sunday received a dispatch note yet? Or even a watch??

I got an order confirmation email at 14:01 and nothing since which always makes me nervous, especially given the nightmares you guys experienced.