closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any MAC/Windows tech wizards? Printing issues!

Any MAC/Windows tech wizards? Printing issues!

Hi Guys!

Knowing we've some proper smart people in the forum thought I'd ask here first!

I find that when trying to print to my HP Laser wifi printer its ok when using macs, but if i set up any of the windows machines to print to it then the macs will all stop working and vice versa. I have to then cycle the printer and which ever computer thats not working delete and reinstall the printer drivers before it works again? any idea whats happening here? Im assuming that macs are connecting via AirPrint and the windows ones by its own protocol but seems that one system disturbs the other some how - please help as i've not got much more hair left to pull out!

ta!

SydR
    How is the printer connected to the Macs and PCs?

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    How is the printer connected to the Macs and PCs?
    WiFi - nothing wired

SydR
    May be worth giving your printer a fixed IP address and printing to that from each device using TCP/IP.

You can either fix the IP address on the printer itself or set your router to allocate a specific address to your printer by mapping it’s MAC address to it.

I’ve done the latter at home and have a number of Windows, Mac, IOS and Android devices printing to it without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    set your router to allocate a specific address to your printer by mapping it’s MAC address to it.
    Gonna see if i can try this (have a virgin media hub)

Also will the assigned IP address remain the same even if the router/hub is cycled on and off
    Last edited by amalgam786; 7th September 2020 at 18:48.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    Gonna see if i can try this (have a virgin media hub)

Also will the assigned IP address remain the same even if the router/hub is cycled on and off
    If you give the printer a manual IP address it'll be on that regardless of whatever your router does or if your router is even switched on.

This is not the same as reserving an IP address on your router, which will simply ensure that it always gets the same IP when it asks for one.

SydR

Any MAC/Windows tech wizards? Printing issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    If you give the printer a manual IP address it'll be on that regardless of whatever your router does or if your router is even switched on.

This is not the same as reserving an IP address on your router, which will simply ensure that it always gets the same IP when it asks for one.
    I chose to reserve an IP address on the router as it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve swapped routers and wondered why I couldn’t ‘see’ the printer only to remember it’s probably on a different subnet

It also prevents someone making the mistake of giving it an IP address that is likely to be allocated by the router thus conflicting when the printer gets turned on.
    Last edited by SydR; 7th September 2020 at 19:57.