closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which one to choose

Craftsman

Which one to choose

The boss has granted me permission to purchase a watch to mark a milestone. Refusal often offends😀
    In no particular order:
    Breitling Premier Automatic day date
    Omega Aqua Terra 38mm
    Omega Railmaster
    I've also keen to see what the Rolex Datejusts how they wear in 36mm or the OP 114200 34mm with silver dial but at this point unsure about availability of the latter two.
    Which one should be in pole position?

I wouldn't touch Breitling due to the servicing stories, rest of the list looks good. I think the availability of DJ36 and OP34 will generally be quite good but obviously a cost difference from the Omegas. 10 year warranty on the Rolex if bought from WoS, not sure about Omega.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d go OP personally. Maybe the 36 though. Nice, classic all rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I wouldn't touch Breitling due to the servicing stories, rest of the list looks good. I think the availability of DJ36 and OP34 will generally be quite good but obviously a cost difference from the Omegas. 10 year warranty on the Rolex if bought from WoS, not sure about Omega.
    Could an independent not service a Breitling?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Yea, but then the availability of parts etc in the future. Not for me.

Craftsman

ETA

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post

With the Breitling sporting a basic ETA movement inside, it could probably easily be serviced outwith Breitling. Even at a Breitling service with such a straightforward movement, should be no scare stories but I could be proven wrong.

The Omega AT would be a great choice in my option, outstanding quality at that price point.
    Last edited by Flasher; 6th September 2020 at 17:51. Reason: Error

Craftsman
    If this is helpful, when I was going past WoS in London, I could see steel Rolex DJ's in the window which seems to confirm @wileeeeeey 's earlier comment on their availability.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

If the boss will pay the money, I think the DJ would be a lovely milestone mark and would be my choice. I like the AT, but there's something timeless about a DJ. Or the OP for that matter although not sure why you wouldn't go for 36mm given the other watches mentioned. My choices:

1st: DJ 36mm
    2nd: OP 36mm
    3rd: AT 38mm

When did that 10 year warranty thing start? Bought a Rolex off WoS last year but don't think I got anything beyond the standard 5 years.

Edit: Ah NVM used google. I see it started June 2019. I bought mine in April

Buy what YOU like, not what a bunch of people you don't know tell you to buy!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Datejust36 all day every day. Such a classic design and perfect proportions in 36mm guise. I'd go flutted with white dial and romans on jubilee. Pure class and a great watch to mark a special occasion.

Journeyman
    Lucky you! This is not too shabby a problem to have.

Personally I would be drawn to the Rolex Datejust or OP. They strike me as real milestone watches, versatile and liable to stay with you the rest of your life. Between the two I'd probably go OP but that's just personal preference - and with Rolex it often depends on what you are able to get in store.

Failing that, if you want to keep to a dressier aesthetic I would go Aqua Terra; it's a brilliant watch. If you prefer something sportier then the Railmaster is to my mind an easy winner - however, given the competition it sounds like you might prefer something a little dressier. And I can't help feeling the others feel closer to a 'milestone' watch (although obviously this is a subjective thing).

Ultimately the best thing to do is to go try these on and see what you think. I have considered all these watches in the past and found that I was far and away most drawn to the Rolex, chiefly down to the size, comfort of the bracelet, and beauty of the dial. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    The boss has granted me permission to purchase a watch to mark a milestone. Refusal often offends
    In no particular order:
    Breitling Premier Automatic day date
    Omega Aqua Terra 38mm
    Omega Railmaster
    I've also keen to see what the Rolex Datejusts how they wear in 36mm or the OP 114200 34mm with silver dial but at this point unsure about availability of the latter two.
    Which one should be in pole position?

I’d go for the rail master or the AT.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Our of interest, is there a set budget? Maybe we can make better suggestions if there's an amount on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Buy what YOU like, not what a bunch of people you don't know tell you to buy!
    As above.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Thanks for your responses. It will be me gazing upon it’s beauty, a symbol blah blah so in the end it’s my decision. I’m just keen to get a second opinion before I nod and say ‘That’s the one’
    Budget is can go higher. Quality over quantity. If things go to plan I will purchase at least two more watches over the next 18 months. It is to be worn on special occasions.

Craftsman
    Thanks for your responses. It will be me gazing upon it’s beauty, a symbol blah blah so in the end it’s my decision. I’m just keen to get a second opinion before I nod and say ‘That’s the one’
    Budget is can go higher. Quality over quantity. If things go to plan I will purchase at least two more watches over the next 18 months. It is to be worn on special occasions.
    Hi Mysqueek,

This is just my tuppenworth, but you're saying above that this is going to be worn on special occasions. Both Omega's are quite sporty and could easily be worn every day and on the beach. If this watch is only going to be worn on special occasions, perhaps think about a dress style watch which could be used on special occasions - so Cartier Santos, Jaeger Le-Coutre (Omega Constellation maybe) etc which could fit the bill.

The next watch you buy could then be the more tool/functional watch like the Omega.

Obviously if you don't like those watches, don't buy them. However I get the impression that you're aiming to build a bit of a collection and picking watches which are a bit different from each other goes with that territory.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    Hi Mysqueek,

This is just my tuppenworth, but you're saying above that this is going to be worn on special occasions. Both Omega's are quite sporty and could easily be worn every day and on the beach. If this watch is only going to be worn on special occasions, perhaps think about a dress style watch which could be used on special occasions - so Cartier Santos, Jaeger Le-Coutre (Omega Constellation maybe) etc which could fit the bill.

The next watch you buy could then be the more tool/functional watch like the Omega.

Obviously if you don't like those watches, don't buy them. However I get the impression that you're aiming to build a bit of a collection and picking watches which are a bit different from each other goes with that territory.
    You’ve hit the nail on the head. I am looking to build up a collection. JLC Reverso/MC as well as Cartier Santos / Tank will probably feature in a future shortlist.
    It’s very close between the Aqua Terra and the DJ 36

Craftsman
    Decision made!
    I’m going with the 36mm Datejust. Although the AT costs less my gut feeling was I will be looking forward to getting a DJ. I keep thinking about the AT though. Thanks everyone for your input

Decision made!
    I’m going with the 36mm Datejust. Although the AT costs less my gut feeling was I will be looking forward to getting a DJ. I keep thinking about the AT though. Thanks everyone for your input
    I think this is the right decision. The DJ is so classic and will always look good. The AT is a great watch, but they update them constantly and could end up looking a bit outdated in 5-10 years

Decision made!
    Great choice? Which combo do uou have in mind?

Good choice, OP.

When you realise you've made the wrong choice, the DJ will be much easier to flip.

;)

Master
    Going by previous threads, Breitling have always come over as a good egg for customer service. My experience was pre George's Kern, so things may have changed since then though.
    I went to Cavendish Sq' service centre a few years ago to have an electronic warranty card 'de-fogged', which just prior to R.I.A.T. spoke to a lovely female technician who let me try on the newly released 'Blackbird Avenger' and had a good old chin-wag watch-wise. I then left with a few freebies that were destined for the air show.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks for letting us know your choice OP. Please post some pictures when you get it.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    It would be the date just for me,

Decision made!
    It legit took me this long to realise "the boss" in your original post meant your wife! I genuinely thought your boss at work was marking a 25 year anniversary or something

Great choice IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    It legit took me this long to realise "the boss" in your original post meant your wife! I genuinely thought your boss at work was marking a 25 year anniversary or something

Great choice IMO.
    Only realised after this post.

Craftsman
    I call my wife ‘The Boss’ We’ve had a challenging few years where I left my job in order to care for her as she became seriously ill and for two months was touch and go whether she would make it. She has come a long way since and wants to show her thanks in rebuilding my watch collection (especially as we’ve finally recently moved to her ‘forever home’
    I like the Silver dial, smooth bezel with oyster. I’ll certainly post a picture. The AD has assured me the next one that comes in is mine. This watch is a keeper.

I call my wife ‘The Boss’ We’ve had a challenging few years where I left my job in order to care for her as she became seriously ill and for two months was touch and go whether she would make it. She has come a long way since and wants to show her thanks in rebuilding my watch collection (especially as we’ve finally recently moved to her ‘forever home’
    I like the Silver dial, smooth bezel with oyster. I’ll certainly post a picture. The AD has assured me the next one that comes in is mine. This watch is a keeper.
    Lovely stuff.

I lost my wife a couple of months back, way too young, so can well imagine what you’ve both been through.
    Wear it in good health and with great pride.