closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which is the best Dictionary of English?

Master

Which is the best Dictionary of English?

I would like to buy a full-fat, comprehensive English dictionary and just wondered which might be considered the best?

I always presumed the Oxford one was the best but reviews are variable, and many say it emphasises ‘new words’ at the expense of tradition.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have the Deluxe double volume Shorter Oxfore English Dictionary which is one of the best in the world unless you want to spend really serious money.

It goes way beyond a standard decent Dictionary and digs far deeper into each word.

Was thinking of letting them go since i never use them actually, i just use google now lol

Opinions very, see Dictionary help.

I find that consulting several on-line the best way to go (see the linked thread).

I couldn't imagine buying a physical book of any description.
    Certainly not a dictionary. I do all my writing on a computer so an online dictionary is all I need.
    My Shorter Oxford went to the Charity shop when I realised I hadn't taken it off the shelf in 10 years.

I do appreciate why people want physical books but my attachment to them disappeared once I got a Kindle. so much easier on trains etc.

As I said I do get why people want to own physical books, I am still buying a lot of vinyl records when I can easily stream music in red book quality or better.

Master
    Thanks all... I hadn’t considered this may have been asked before (oops! Sorry!)

Yes, I have no interest in online dictionaries; I want to read and learn Rather than reference specific words (which I would do online).

Thanks all... and

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

Was thinking of letting them go since i never use them actually, i just use google now lol
    Pls PM me with your price!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

Yes, I have no interest in online dictionaries; I want to read and learn Rather than reference specific words (which I would do online).
    Considering all the other resources out there a dictionary (which is a list of words) seems an odd reference for this objective.

Master
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Courtesy of Xellos99 I now have these!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Courtesy of Xellos99 I now have these!

He wanted the longer version but it wouldn't fit on the shelf! :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Considering all the other resources out there a dictionary (which is a list of words) seems an odd reference for this objective.
    Yes, I would have thought an encyclopaedia would be more appropriate or just deep dive Wikipedia for an hour or seven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk