closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: £76 1000m diver?

Craftsman

£76 1000m diver?

Absolutely no information on this(!) but this popped up in a Creation Watches spam email.

https://www.creationwatches.com/prod...tch-17738.html

Not wild about the looks myself but 1000m, saphire and Seiko built movement (quartz) sounds like good buy.

Anyone had any experience with these?

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Same setup as the Divex, Cressi, Apeks, etc. versions; cheap as chips for a decent beater.

These have been going for years. Makes a mockery of the high end watch prices.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'd rather have a Boctok
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    These have been going for years. Makes a mockery of the high end watch prices.

Yes - obviously the technology of achieving extremely high levels of WR is much easier, wider known and far cheaper than certain other (expensive) brands claim!

about 10 years ago I had something that looked remarkably similar, if not the same. I forgot about it and somehow it ended up in the back a bathroom cupboard for some time. When I eventually discovered it again it had corroded to the point where I couldn't turn the bezel or unscrew the crown! nothing else in the bathroom was damaged!

I've had a couple of Tauchmeister-branded examples of this watch - 52mm with automatic movement (now sold, as a bit too big) and the second 44mm with quartz- very decent watches, and both faultless in the time I've had them. Make great beaters - wear mine for gardening and DIY work all the time. No brainer at £76.

Master
    I’ve nearly bought the Apeks version several times and think they look slightly better. Also quite like the chrono version and was going to get one as my travel watch but got a wolbrook skindiver mecaquartz instead as like the retro vibe.

*apologies for lack of commas 😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    about 10 years ago I had something that looked remarkably similar, if not the same. I forgot about it and somehow it ended up in the back a bathroom cupboard for some time. When I eventually discovered it again it had corroded to the point where I couldn't turn the bezel or unscrew the crown! nothing else in the bathroom was damaged!
    I would guess the battery had leaked?

Craftsman
    Thanks all. I've seen the various Seiko powered bargain divers but never noticed any 1000m ones.

Seems silly to buy a watch I like less than ones I already own for a rating I'll never be able to test/benefit from...but the little boy comparing depth ratings at the back of science class has always fancied a big numbered WR.

As Mr Grumpy said above, its interesting that its not as expensive a problem to solve as many makers imply.

Any other 1000m (plus?) bargains I should be aware of?

Blog Entries
    I guess that no buyer has the capability or tools to test it. Simply add '1000m' on the dial as a token of proper water resistance - and for most people it's enough when the watch survives a Padi holiday!

Menno

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I guess that no buyer has the capability or tools to test it. Simply add '1000m' on the dial as a token of proper water resistance - and for most people it's enough when the watch survives a Padi holiday!

Menno
    I had wondered about that too. I was hoping Creation having more to lose than a random Ali Express seller might offer some reassurance but with testing unlikely...

Have anyone ever been pulled up for inaccurate WR claims?

If i don't believe the 1000m claim should I just get get the Sharpie out on my SKX?!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Seems silly to buy a watch I like less than ones I already own for a rating I'll never be able to test/benefit from...but the little boy comparing depth ratings at the back of science class has always fancied a big numbered WR.
    Not cheap as chips, but how about 10 miles?

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

It probably can in theory go to 1000m with the thicknesses of materials used etc, but i doubt very much they put in the R+D and testing the better brands would

£76 1000m diver?

A potentially good buy if you need to go to 1000m. But, if just to wear and enjoy, I’’d suggest buying something you actually like the look of - mad as that sounds.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Menno
    This reminds me of a very entertaining thread on here a year or so back. Someone came across a 1000m WR watch from fashion brand Storm for around £80. Incredulous, and in the interests of science, he bought one and put it through a 100bar static pressure test and yes, it passed with no issues!. Conclusion: High WR must actually quite easy to achieve - though obviously entirely pointless!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    This reminds me of a very entertaining thread on here a year or so back. Someone came across a 1000m WR watch from fashion brand Storm for around £80. Incredulous, and in the interests of science, he bought one and put it through a 100bar static pressure test and yes, it passed with no issues!. Conclusion: High WR must actually quite easy to achieve - though obviously entirely pointless!
    I owned that very watch. I eventually sold it in a fundraiser exercise. It was a good-looking watch for the money.
    I had good cause to rely on the WR as I once dipped it under the water whilst netting a trout.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I owned that very watch. I eventually sold it in a fundraiser exercise. It was a good-looking watch for the money.
    I had good cause to rely on the WR as I once dipped it under the water whilst netting a trout.
    OMG!! Obviously need every cm of its WR to cope with that serious submersion! Still it got wetter than most Divers watches do....

Craftsman
    Glad to see someone had the good sense to check this out properly Uncle Alec.

The "buy something you actually like" advice is probably where I am. Will keep an eye out for something like this but more my style. I'll never need a 1000m watch but my watch box needs one even less!

Seems like it would be good move for one of the microbrands to produce a high WR watch with a little more astetic appeal. If it doesn't add hugely to the cost it would be a good USP.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    And I was the lucky beneficiary. Can’t say it’s been used for diving, but it spends a lot of time in the water. I gave it to my stepson who uses it when kayaking and fishing. Apart from a battery change, never missed a beat.