closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DJ 36 vs 34 Women - anniversary present

DJ 36 vs 34 Women - anniversary present

Afternoon all,

I’m in market to buy a present (watch obviously!) for my lady and there are a couple of options on the table:

DJ 36 - batons
    DJ 36 - Roman numerals
    Lady DJ - 31

Picture below from when we’ tried on the watches last weekend.

I’’m reaching out to the forum to get your honest opinions on these - keen to hear your thoughts!

She’’s after a “classier” watch (she’s already got my old Sub date) for events.

(Yes these are the options )

S
    Last edited by DigitalSeb; 4th September 2020 at 17:53.

Master
    36mm with batons is a great watch....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    36 batons.
    Better size (yes, even for a woman) and better resale should she decide to upgrade in the future.

Basically it's 3 different indices to choose between, assuming she's indifferent on the size or they wouldn't all be here as options.

Batons for me.

Master
    Bit baffled by this....isn’t your lady the best person to decide? How can a bunch of strangers on a forum offer advice?
    She’ll surely know what she’s wants. And it’s unlikely to be about resale value.....

Craftsman
    I went through a similar exercise last summer. Decided the 28mm was best size for her and narrowed it the three shown in the picture below.

In the end she decided she did not want any of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    36mm with batons is a great watch....

Agreed! Never owned a DJ but completely agree! Lovely watch! Is this the gold or rose gold @enoch

S

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    36 batons.
    Better size (yes, even for a woman) and better resale should she decide to upgrade in the future.
    Thanks @verv - that’s what I was thinking (in the back if my head!) thanks mate!

S

Depends what kind of person she is. A lot of women these days go for the DJ36 but my wife chose the LadyJust 28. From the sounds of things 95% of all women who get a DateJust get it on jubilee with a fluted bezel so the main options are dial colour and metal. I think Roman numerals are more popular when choosing 26-36mm.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Basically it's 3 different indices to choose between, assuming she's indifferent on the size or they wouldn't all be here as options.

Batons for me.
    Thanks mate - I personally prefer the batons too - I know the DJ has so many variations but these are the 3 shortlisted!

S

Seb presenting the DateJust to his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Depends what kind of person she is. A lot of women these days go for the DJ36 but my wife chose the LadyJust 28. From the sounds of things 95% of all women who get a DateJust get it on jubilee with a fluted bezel so the main options are dial colour and metal. I think Roman numerals are more popular when choosing 26-36mm.
    This is really insightful thanks for this - she’s used to the Sub (40mm) but now she wants a gold watch to wear out...

Funny she’s was 99% going for the batons until
    She tried on the Roman numerals and then...the world changed and she taken an interest in the Roman numerals!

S

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Seb presenting the DateJust to his wife.
    yep literally what’s going to happen

S

Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    I went through a similar exercise last summer. Decided the 28mm was best size for her and narrowed it the three shown in the picture below.

In the end she decided she did not want any of them

Ah really did you end up getting something in the end? Nice collection though!

You understand what I’m going through

S

Craftsman
    No, she went on a detox retreat instead! Just does not get the watch thing.

Each to their own.

36mm batons for Mrs C

She used to wear very small watches around the 28mm size, moved up to 31mm and is now firmly in the 36mm camp for future watches. We looked today when we popped in to the AD and the two tone rose gold DJ36 with domed bezel and Rhodium Dial ticked every box for her...

9k turned her off a bit though!

Recently purchased a DJ 31mm for my wife’s 40th after selling her old one last year.

She tried both the smaller and larger DJ models but settled on the 31mm again as she felt it was classic. She found the smaller models difficult to read and the larger models more of a fashion sized watch.

This time she went for batons, smooth bezel and jubilee bracelet.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 4th September 2020 at 18:39.

Craftsman
    I went for the DJ 36 on a jubilee for my wife’s 40th (steel / everose). White dial / batons. It does wear well but I can see many women finding it a touch big. Great watch, and she loves it. I suppose it depends on your lady’s wrist size etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Lady DJ all the way for well, a lady. Just a classic piece of women's jewellery-I can understand going for a 36mm if you have sons to leave it to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    Agreed! Never owned a DJ but completely agree! Lovely watch! Is this the gold or rose gold @enoch
    S
    Rose gold😎

Master
    Can't help you as i found out the best thing to do is ask the wife...i would have never choosen this but she did.

Journeyman
    DJ31 Oyster bracelet fluted bezel silver dial with diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    No, she went on a detox retreat instead! Just does not get the watch thing.

Each to their own.

Ah mate! Surprised you haven’t given her the bug yet haha!

S

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    36mm batons for Mrs C

She used to wear very small watches around the 28mm size, moved up to 31mm and is now firmly in the 36mm camp for future watches. We looked today when we popped in to the AD and the two tone rose gold DJ36 with domed bezel and Rhodium Dial ticked every box for her...

9k turned her off a bit though!
    I hear you! 9k is a different price range especially moving up from 28/31mm!

The misses also quickly checked the rose gold but preferred the classic gold tone!

S

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Recently purchased a DJ 31mm for my wife’s 40th after selling her old one last year.

She tried both the smaller and larger DJ models but settled on the 31mm again as she felt it was classic. She found the smaller models difficult to read and the larger models more of a fashion sized watch.

This time she went for batons, smooth bezel and jubilee bracelet.
    I’ve heard that as well that the smaller ones were a tad harder to read than the 31/36mm.

I have noticed more women actually wearing the larger sizes (36/40) now - I do get her POV though about it being just a phase!

Do you remember if her previous one was flutted?

S

Master
    My wife had a 28mm datejust and sold it and got a MOP dial at 31mm which she loves. She’d quite like to add a darker and I’ve offered up a sub which she loves but is just too big (couple of pics for comparison). She’s leaning towards a 36mm and possible the barons like verve has suggested. I think it’s a good size.

Master
    I was expecting to see some debauched Ibiza club scene in here going by the thread subject!

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    My wife had a 28mm datejust and sold it and got a MOP dial at 31mm which she loves. She’d quite like to add a darker and I’ve offered up a sub which she loves but is just too big (couple of pics for comparison). She’s leaning towards a 36mm and possible the barons like verve has suggested. I think it’s a good size.
    Not the right colour scheme unless you go for rose gold but the YM37 would fit well.

Master
    Blog Entries

I think the dials on these look very elegant

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    I’ve heard that as well that the smaller ones were a tad harder to read than the 31/36mm.

I have noticed more women actually wearing the larger sizes (36/40) now - I do get her POV though about it being just a phase!

Do you remember if her previous one was flutted?

S

Yes the previous one was flutted which she loved but felt it was to showy to wear daily out and about in London hence the sale.

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 6th September 2020 at 06:49.

If a classier option is the requirement, I would suggest the 31mm based on my own wife’s preferences. In her world, smaller equals classier and as a result she wears a 28mm.

I’ve offered her larger watches and the option to borrow some of mine at 36-40mm and she just won’t have it. It’s not for her as it doesn’t suit her style.

That said, lots of people on this page already suggest that their wives do like bigger case sizes. I guess the observation is, only the intended wearer can decide what’s classy and what’s not.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

I see! Yep I think it’s leaning towards the batons 31/36 at the moment (from what she tells me!)

These are ours

S

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Yes the previous one was flutted which she loved but felt it was to showy to wear daily out and about in London hence the sale.

Oh I see! I’ve just shown this one to the lady and she’s like - I think we need to add this one into the mix - ....

S