closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Rolex: The largest collection in the world, by David Silver, out November 202

Journeyman

Vintage Rolex: The largest collection in the world, by David Silver, out November 202

This looks like it will be a great resource for vintage Rolex fans. It’s not clear how much text there will be in the 384 pages, but I hope it’s not mostly pictures.

I have to admit I am not a fan of the Burlington Arcade ship run by the author and family, since I have not had a warm welcome in any of my three visits in the last few years. But I will certainly try out the book and enjoy ogling the gorgeous timepieces therein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Has anyone had a look at this book and is it any good ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Sounds interesting

I'd be interested in any reviews on this. It'd be interesting to see how it compares with the Mondani books.

I wonder if the book doesn’t give any further details on the pictures of the watches you’re interested in and then shuts itself and jumps back on your bookshelf so you can only look at it through a window?

I have heard it said that the examples in the Arcade are not always 100% kosher, only anecdotally though, I hope the examples in the book are researched carefully, it wouldn’t do to ‘legitimise’ dodgy examples in a book.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I have ordered a copy, despite my misgivings about the author.

Ordered on Amazon as well - Looking forward to it:)

It's a pretty picture book, with no model refs or educational text. I think there's a copy wrapped up for me under the tree...and I'll enjoy looking through it a lot, but don't expect to learn anything new.

MW

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    It's a pretty picture book, with no model refs or educational text. I think there's a copy wrapped up for me under the tree...and I'll enjoy looking through it a lot, but don't expect to learn anything new.

MW
    Have you thought about writing one Mike? There aren’t many folk with your level of expertise. You could include some x-ray photos too!

Perhaps write it with Haywood, with Mick P writing the foreword “If you have a Rolex from these pages, never sell it”...it would be TZ’s must have Christmas present in 2021!!

All the best for Christmas and the New Year mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Have you thought about writing one Mike? There aren’t many folk with your level of expertise. You could include some x-ray photos too!

Perhaps write it with Haywood, with Mick P writing the foreword “If you have a Rolex from these pages, never sell it”...it would be TZ’s must have Christmas present in 2021!!

Very good, made me chuckle....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post

MW
    You should go through it with a red pen, like a teacher circling the errors 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post

LOL, but a good idea all the same. I would imagine Mike has most of the references available (certainly from the 1960’s onwards) and a few members here could fill any empty slots.
    Last edited by Andyg; 23rd December 2020 at 20:38.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    LOL, but a good idea all then same. I would imagine Mike has most of the references available (certainly from the 1960’s onwards) and a few members here could fill any empty slots.
    I agree: the Wood-Milton tome would be a must-buy

Master
    if it doesn't have a Cellini centre-fold, I'm out !

Regrettably, while I enjoy writing and of course watches, the return from writing a book does not match that of spending the same time dealing in watches or running other businesses.

Happy to consider Mike a friend, even if our proximity does cost us both the odd nice piece or two.

I hope it doesn't repeat the lie about Hillary on the top of Everest in 1953.

Up until a couple of years ago it was a possibility at best, albeit one aided and abetted by Rolex's insinuations and misdirections (i.e. very carefully worded copy and lots of nice colour pictures).

Now it has been conclusively proved that there was no Rolex on the summit then.

We know it's not true, yet certain people refuse to revise their views.

I do like Rolexes -- older ones, anyway. But I like facts more.

I carnt right proper, so cudnt ever do a boook. 😁

Although I'm perhaps better known for my post 1960 sports watches, I am passionate about early Rolexes, and have, well...a few!😉

MW

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I hope it doesn't repeat the lie about Hillary on the top of Everest in 1953.
    My copy arrived this morning. Sorry to report, Rev-O, that it states “The 1953 Mount Everest expedition brought Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norway to the summit of the world’s highest mountain with Oyster Perpetuals on their wrists.”

At least with Mercedes Gleitze they admit it was the second failed Channel crossing where she wore the Oyster.

My first impression is that the book is largely an upgrade on the Imai book: nice pictures but no great depth.

Readers put off by hyperbole should steer clear. Every steel sports model pictured is described as “very rare.”

Mine arrived through the post this morning:) looking forward to reading it

Mine arrived yesterday, thankfully it was a 'used' version on Amazon for only £8. Lovely pictures, but no real depth or detail like a Mondani

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    My copy arrived this morning. Sorry to report, Rev-O, that it states “The 1953 Mount Everest expedition brought Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norway to the summit of the world’s highest mountain with Oyster Perpetuals on their wrists.”
    FFS now they've BOTH got one. So there were two Rolexes on the summit in '53? No, there was none.

Oh, and he wasn't "Sir" Edmund Hillary at the time, either.

Still, at least they weren't wearing Explorers. (Two each, on both wrists.)

Hey ho. I think this is what the kids call "Fanfic". Or "Fanboyfic" in this case.

Journeyman
    I was in Costco recently and they had the book at a discount. I leafed through it and was not impressed. If you like to look at just photos of watches then fine, but there was little educational text or even descriptions, let alone Rolex history.

To me it was just like looking through their window in the Arcade, but in book form.

Master
    I think that is a fair assessment. Pretty pictures but little else.

David Silver, didn't he play for Man City