closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a car for me mam... clueless.

Master

Buying a car for me mam... clueless.

Gents,

My poor old mum is currently without a car, and I've offered to get her one. However I've no knowledge at all on the things, so am hopeful that one (or more) of you might be able to offer a bit of advice!

Top priorities are that it's reliable and low maintenance, and won't need a repair for a little while. We're looking at post-2010, automatic, and sub-40k miles if possible.

Budget is £4-6k. Is that realistic? And if so, what should I be looking at?

Very grateful indeed for any advice!

I have no idea if your Mum should be included in my sweeping generalisation but all the old dodderers round here drive either Honda Civic or Toyota Yaris

Master
    Blog Entries
    Until c19 arrived I was parked in a dodgy train station multi storey half the week so bought a 2015 Kia Rio at a dealer for 5k last spring. It’s absolutely spot on for the money and they do autos.

Anyone rinsing modern Kia’s hasn’t been in one. It’s not Germanic soft touch plastic but the polo I had before it was a pile of rubbish in terms of reliability.

I would be looking at something like the vehicle in the below link at that price range but you cannot go wrong with most Japanese vehicles for reliability.

A friend just purchased a Toyota Yaris although she went for a Hybrid and absolutely loves it.

https://usedcars.toyota.co.uk/en/use...t-5-Dr-vdcdjr2
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 3rd September 2020 at 06:28.

Blog Entries
    Honda Jazz; various models since 2010, including hybrids. All equally well-built. You can't go wrong.

M.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would be looking for a VW UP, Skoda Citi go or a Seat Mii. All the same car.

I got a second hand seat Mii for 3.5k with 20k in the clock, 62 plate. It's been a great little run around and no where near as 'tin can' as it's competitors. Not sure about autos though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want reliability, a Honda Jazz is right up there. Easy to drive with plenty of space inside, despite the compact overall dimensions.

The best Honda Jazz you can find for your budget.

Buying a car for me mam... clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post

I got a second hand seat Mii for 3.5k with 20k in the clock, 62 plate. It's been a great little run around and no where near as 'tin can' as it's competitors. Not sure about autos though.
    Looking for an automatic for my old mum several years ago. The Up and Skoda are both great, really wanted one, but the automatic was truly awful during the test drive, odd control and dreadful lag. Killed it and went for a far more expensive (unfortunately) Polo.

Looks like the Jazz is the people’s choice. Unfortunately I couldn’t shop around, panic buy, circumstances meant we had to get her a car on the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 3rd September 2020 at 07:39.

Master
    Honda Jazz. Reliable, cheap to run, lots of internal space if needed.

Master
    I’d avoid the small derv options in this segment as I assume mum will be doing shorter local journeys?

Have you and her considered electric 2011-12 Leafs fall into budget and with low servicing and running costs plus being suited to multiple short journeys it could be ideal?

If not then the normal suspects are Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Note, Suzuki Swift, Hyundai I10, Kia...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I’d avoid the small derv options in this segment as I assume mum will be doing shorter local journeys?

Have you and her considered electric 2011-12 Leafs fall into budget and with low servicing and running costs plus being suited to multiple short journeys it could be ideal?

If not then the normal suspects are Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Note, Suzuki Swift, Hyundai I10, Kia...
    ^^^^^Definitely this

Craftsman
    My mum's on her 3rd Jazz, nothing has gone wrong with any of them.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Honda Jazz; various models since 2010, including hybrids. All equally well-built. You can't go wrong.

M.
    This all day long , millions of old dears driving them cant be wrong. Also lots of room for shopping etc, low cost servicing and genuine 100,000 plus engines. Auto’s common.

Honda Jazz has been said a number of times and I suspect this is the right answer although I’ve no personal experience of one.

Whenever you see one, Doris is always driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My elderly mother in law (late 80’s) has driven an Nissan Micra automatic for the last 10 years. It’s a five door so can take all her mates for lunch and there is plenty of room inside. It’s been very reliable and cheap to maintain. Not the most exciting thing but she loves it.

MX5
    or
    Porsche 911

Very surprised we have made it this far down the thread without these being suggested....

Just. Sold mum in laws Honda jazz auto
    15k miles and 15 reg
    It was mint
    WBAC paid £6400
    Would recommend one- utterly trouble free

My MK 3 Clio has not broken down once and i have owned if for 8 - 9 years and its 14 years old now and still passes MOT with no faults.

Its all about test driving though because people prefer different cars to drive

Master
    A mate of mine runs a MOT testing station. He says time and time agin, he hardly ever fails a Honda Jazz and if he does, it's nearly always on tyres.

So on reliability - go for a Jazz.

Most reliable as said, a Jazz or Yaris

Skoda Fabia auto with a DSG gearbox is bullet proof and great mpg for a small petrol car.
    Or.
    Kia Rio auto diesel which would probably be a bit cheaper but again bullet proof and great mpg.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'd also second the Nissan Micra suggestion. My late mum had an accident in her beloved Honda Accord which was written off, after looking at various cars in her budget (Kia Picanto / Rio, Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris, etc.) she preferred the Micra mainly due to the great visibility (important when you are under 5ft tall as she was). Sadly she passed away a couple of years ago and we had to sell the car as part of the estate. It was bought by my father in law who had had a previous generation micra from new that lasted to nearly 200k miles (was still running when he traded it in for an ill advised renault clio diesel). It's still going and costs pennies in petrol and servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post

If it's of any relevance, this car only has a 3* NCAP rating, though it's OK for the driver. https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/vw/up!/39809

• Adult Occupant 81%

• Child Occupant 83%

• Vulnerable Road Users 46%

• Safety Assist 55%

Master
    Another vote for the Jazz here. We have had two in our household and neither missed a beat. Super reliable.

Master
    That's brilliant, thanks guys! We'd heard the Jazz might be a good option and this seals the deal.

If anyone sees any about at a good price please let me know!

Thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Just. Sold mum in laws Honda jazz auto
    15k miles and 15 reg
    It was mint
    WBAC paid £6400
    Would recommend one- utterly trouble free
    Damn, would've bought that from you in a heartbeat - exactly what we're looking for!

Blog Entries
    Big Up fan here. I had one for over 6 years and nothing went wrong. However, the auto’boxes are horrible. It’s software is designed for fuel economy. It changes up from 1 -> 3 before you’ve crossed a junction. Sluggish!!!

Stay away from that.

I stick to my Jazz ‘auto’ advice
    Last edited by thieuster; 3rd September 2020 at 19:44.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Honda Jazz. Avoid anything with a CVT box though. Horrid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Honda Jazz. Avoid anything with a CVT box though. Horrid.
    I'd disagree. In most driving conditions (economy, acceleration, efficiency) a CVT is demonstrably better than a traditional automatic. Reliability might be an issue if service intervals are not followed but the ones I have had experience with have both passed 100k miles with zero issues.
    The only areas in which a CVT lacks compared to other gearboxes is 'sound' and 'driver involvement'. The former isn't really a consideration for the type of car discussed, or if you have the capacity to grow hair on your undercarriage for that matter and the latter you'd be buying a manual anyway.

Master
    Bought my mum a Skoda Fabia 1.2 Auto, she loves it, absolutely loves it, great car, good size 4 doors.

How about

https://leasing.com/independent-brok...ack/581491337/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk