closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hulk for 20000? [emoji848]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I'm sure a few owners are thinking of cashing in whilst they are hot - and why not.
    Think your right. I didn’t buy mine to flip but if they sustain a £25k return I may rethink 🤷🏻*♂️

It’s mental!

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    You’ll eventually get 12k for your BLNR yet, I believe in you ;)
    If I ever get the call for an aquanaut I'll px it, if not it can sit in the bank. It's not worth silly money now but if they ever discontinue the colour scheme entirely it might go silly. I could be talking nonsense though if I see something on SC one day.

Craftsman

Play out.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Could have said the same thing when the BLNR was 12k last year. Isn't 12k now. The Hulk will enjoy a lift now because no Hulks are available -- the new ones haven't trickled out yet and the old one isn't produced anymore.

Once the new ones are on a few wrists and on all the grey websites it will calm down as demand will be split into two different watches. With most things hype/Rolex related the newest model nearly always demands the bigger premium. The new 'Cermit' isn't a £20k watch so the Hulk can't be one either.

Would agree on the above, this is how it will probably play out.

Rolex for many buyers these days is all about the latest, just like IPhones or fashion in general, because Rolex at this moment is all about Fashion and pleasing the Instagram crowd. Cartier was always seen as the Fashion lead producer but that tag could just as easily be placed at Rolex’s door but at least with Cartier they pushed the boundaries on design and aesthetic, Rolex pushes no such boundaries.

Once the new LV starts to land we will start to the true price point for the Hulk. If the Cermit starts to take all the attention, becomes seen as a better looking watch than the Hulk then demand could quite quickly fall away and with that the prices. I honestly do not believe the Supercase models including the Hulk will be revered to the level of the four/five digit or as in demand as the new slimmed down cases become more widespread.

Is the Pepsi and Batgirl a better looking watch than the discontinued Supercase BLNR, in my eyes Yes and are the Supercase BLNR £20k! Quite sure that when the Explorer 11 gets slimmed down to a better proportion there will be no great surge on the current one with the clown size dial markers and I think similarly on the outgoing Subs when the new case size arrives on wrist, the Supercase will be consigned to History as maybe not Rolex’s finest moment, with that a fall back in demand and pricing.

The Super case with be Rolex’s equivalent to the Levi Flare Jeans, they were right at the time but time moved on and thankfully the Flares did not.
    Last edited by Flasher; 4th September 2020 at 18:38. Reason: Error

You’ll eventually get 12k for your BLNR yet, I believe in you ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They’re around 11.5k anyway aren’t they?

I bought mine few years back but it’s now such an expensive thing i think twice about how/where i wear it... but i do wear, it does worry me a little and i do think i could maybe convert it into a ‘normal’ sub AND an explorer!

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    I bought mine few years back but it’s now such an expensive thing i think twice about how/where i wear it... but i do wear, it does worry me a little and i do think i could maybe convert it into a ‘normal’ sub AND an explorer!

I know what I would be doing if it were mine, converting it into the two models mentioned which are far nicer in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I know what I would be doing if it were mine, converting it into the two models mentioned which are far nicer in my opinion.
    It would make an interesting ‘for trade’ SC post thats for sure!

Master
    Just want to reiterate that watches, like many other goods like fine wine, rare whisky, gold bars, classic cars actually do fine out of recessions and downturns. Often, their prices even rise.

They’re being bought by people who either won’t lose their jobs or can afford to lose their jobs. Not really being bought by someone who works in a no name small tourism business who loses their job post furlough scheme ending. That’s not meant as offence, just in real life that’s an industry that faces short term annihilation.

Brexit won’t hurt watch deals at all. In fact, there’ll probably be a few more buyers from the continent pulling the old tax free “nothing to declare” smuggle on return to their home nation.

It won't be a fall though.
    It will be a return from a temporary blip whilst they are discontinued and before the new LV becomes available.
    At the figure you are talking about the range of watches available is going to make even the most gullible of buyers think twice.
    Just an opinion of course but if I had a Hulk and could get 15K for it I would sell it now and buy one back in 6 months.

Master
    If I had one I would be selling it now. I think this will be the peak with all the hype of it being discontinued. It’s a watch I really like but would be loathe to have one now as they are so recognisable you would have to be selective to when you wear it which would kill the joy of it for me.

As posted previously I would be getting a ND sub and black face explorer II instead. The two best in the line-up for me!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    It won't be a fall though.
    It will be a return from a temporary blip whilst they are discontinued and before the new LV becomes available.
    At the figure you are talking about the range of watches available is going to make even the most gullible of buyers think twice.
    Just an opinion of course but if I had a Hulk and could get 15K for it I would sell it now and buy one back in 6 months.
    Im not sure about that. I think it'll stay firm.
    They've replaced it with a watch with the same colour bezel (so the folk that moan that the hulk bezel is washed out presumably won't be wanting one) and they've given it a black dial, like all the rest of them. Like it or not the dial was the best bit of the hulk and its done for.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    They've replaced it with a watch with the same colour bezel (so the folk that moan that the hulk bezel is washed out presumably won't be wanting one) and they've given it a black dial, like all the rest of them. Like it or not the dial was the best bit of the hulk and its done for.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CDGUaWDg...=1d6xjimq9in9e
    Agree with this the green dial has now gone ,plenty black dials prices going to keep going up

I am not the greatest fan of Rolex these days, but I have no idea why anyone would like a green Submariner, looks wise. I really don't. They do absolutely nothing for me. I just think they are ugly.

That encapsulates pretty much everything I hate about Rolex.
    That giff was just for you too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I am not the greatest fan of Rolex these days, but I have no idea why anyone would like a green Submariner, looks wise. I really don't. They do absolutely nothing for me. I just think they are ugly.
    But you have a green bike
    Looks good tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    But you have a green bike
    Looks good tho!
    A Kawasaki Z1000R Eddie Lawson Replica in green is a classic Japanese motorcycle. It's a classic Kawasaki colour. Retro is still in.

A green Rolex does nothing for me even at retail. I'd rather give birth to a hedgehog. I've made that decision after having three large Ouzo's so it may be a bit sketchy.
    Last edited by j111dja; 4th September 2020 at 21:07.

The same hype machine that made this previously unpopular watch among the hottest rolexes in the range is responsible for pushing the price ever higher. Her name? Instagram

I got mine at 20% discount from a UK AD in 2012. No vouchers or work schemes involved.

Hulk for 20000?

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I’ve already voiced my opinion but the Hulk is hideous, I’d be mad if I found one.
    And the lack of apostrophes is down to inadequacies of Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I know what you're saying C .
    As you know I'm not a fan of the ceramic bezel and maxi case so it was never going to be on my want list.
    As an aside I spotted one today on a website at 14K andwas going to post on here for any interested parties.
    I phoned to check it was there but predictably it was away.
    The assistant informed may they had quite a few stickered unworn hulks ready to be sold once they had decided what to price them at after the recent feeding frenzy.
    Interestingly she said these watches were all coming from a private collector.

Master
    Cheap at the price. Try £25,000!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Sub...h/154073159755

I'll never understand why people feel the need to give their opinion on a watch - as with everything, some will like it and others will not. It's hardly breaking news.

But, given you're all doing it - I'm a fan and an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    There's an exciting thread about this already.

Master
    Hulk is a marmite watch, but the price is not really determined by the many that hate it but by the many who equally love it.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I'll never understand why people feel the need to give their opinion on a watch - as with everything, some will like it and others will not. It's hardly breaking news.

But, given you're all doing it - I'm a fan and an owner.

There's an exciting thread about this already.
    Precisely, I don't think there's a single Patek Philippe that I like, including the Aquanaut, I also have no real love for any of the AP Royal Oaks and yet I love my Hulk to bits. Has nothing to do with hype or value, I got mine just before the nonsense started and I'll still have it long after it subsides. I have a Casio GW-M5610 that brings a similar smile to my face and that's all of £80.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacamack View Post
    Precisely, I don't think there's a single Patek Philippe that I like, including the Aquanaut, I also have no real love for any of the AP Royal Oaks and yet I love my Hulk to bits. Has nothing to do with hype or value, I got mine just before the nonsense started and I'll still have it long after it subsides. I have a Casio GW-M5610 that brings a similar smile to my face and that's all of £80.
    I don't like a single Patek, AP, Hulk or G-Shock these days but thankfully we all have different taste.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Rolex Stainless Steel should renamed to Stainless Steal. As they are robbery.

When you look at what you can get in the price bracket between 15-25k......

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Thinking back when the 16610lv was brought out there didnt seem to be a demand for it. It was at a premium over a standard 16610 (which is what I bought) and they seemed available for ever. Am I imagining that or was there a turnaround in its fortunes
    The LV originally sat unloved in windows as people were iffy about the green! Oops
    Yes indeed. I remember back in 2005 ish, a TV producer I worked with showing me his 16610LV which he'd had gifted to him, from his new father in law, as a wedding present. I was then saving for my Sub and although I liked the watch, I poo-pooed the green bezel and the Maxi dial. DOH!
    Last edited by dkpw; 5th September 2020 at 11:15.

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Rolex Stainless Steel should renamed to Stainless Steal. As they are robbery.

When you look at what you can get in the price bracket between 15-25k......
    You are very much right in what you say, but when I look at watches in the 15-25k price bracket that I want they too are stainless steel Rolex!

1665 Great white SD, 1680 red Sub, full set 16760, the list goes on.. Shameful as it is PP, AP, VC dont really rock my boat like a really nice vintage stainless Rolex does.

I'll add in I love my Speedmasters too..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 5th September 2020 at 12:54.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    You are very much right in what you say, but when I look at watches in the 15-25k price bracket that I want they too are stainless steel Rolex!

1665 Great white SD, 1680 red Sub, full set 16760, the list goes on.. Shameful as it is PP, AP, VC dont really rock my boat like a really nice vintage stainless Rolex does.

I'll add in I love my Speedmasters too..
    That is the beauty of this hobby. We don’t all have to like the same thing. None of those old Rolex do anything for me, but I enjoy VC, PP, and now AP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    That is the beauty of this hobby. We don’t all have to like the same thing. None of those old Rolex do anything for me, but I enjoy VC, PP, and now AP.
    You are a man bereft of soul.

I dont know what all the fuss is about. If you think they're ugly and not worth 20k you're not the target market. Perhaps you should wait for the big drop like people were suggesting when the asking price was 12k. You missed the boat. Get over it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    You are a man bereft of soul.
    . You should know me better - it was a bit tongue in cheek. I guess your comment was too though!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I dont know what all the fuss is about. If you think they're ugly and not worth 20k you're not the target market. Perhaps you should wait for the big drop like people were suggesting when the asking price was 12k. You missed the boat. Get over it.
    I wouldn't buy one for half that. Twelve grand that is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    . You should know me better - it was a bit tongue in cheek. I guess your comment was too though!
    Definitely
    I want that offshore at some point so I wouldn't insult you.

Master
    Pretty sad how many recent purchases are ending up on eBay at the moment!

Can see why, but does go to show...all this work the ADs do to implement their lists and apparently sell to the right person, clearly are not working.

Or are they just selling to their mates!?

Master
    I can only speak for the independent I use and they are great to deal with and very fair from what I can see. I went to an event they put on last summer and there was a married couple aged early thirties as a guess on the same table as me. He had the new BLNR on jubilee and on talking to them he’d bought his wife an engagement ring a few months before and in conversation the subject came round to watches and he’d casually asked the AD about getting a Rolex. A few months later they called him and offered him that. He was amazed as his purchase history was one ring. The AD saw them as a lovely genuine couple and looked after them. Now that’s how it should be and probably was a few years ago, but how many AD’s with that watch would do that now?

It’s so bizarre though to think you can pick up a watch for say 10k and sell it for say 18k straight away. AD’s must be massively at risk of losing their contract with Rolex nowadays if it happens repeatedly.

I wouldn't want to tar all ADs with the same brush and I'm sure some of the smaller independents do the right thing, but if you controlled things in a High Street chain there is an opportunity there to be as corrupt as an African dictator.

I remember giving the manageress of one shop grief when she tried to explain how the hot watches went to their VIP customers. I took great delight in showing her Haywood's site on my phone that contained about four or five watches at that time that had originally been sold from her chain.

After that, for some unknown reason I never got the call

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    He was amazed as his purchase history was one ring. The AD saw them as a lovely genuine couple and looked after them. Now that’s how it should be ...
    So a “lovely genuine couple” should have priority over a long standing customer who has been supporting the business for years? Err, why?!

The dealers can sell to whoever they like and, frustrating as it is, if they favour big spenders then that’s entirely commercially understandable. Randomly doing strangers a favour seems, well random.

AD’s must be massively at risk of losing their contract with Rolex nowadays if it happens repeatedly.
    If Rolex do care it’s not obvious. EBay is full of brand new, unworn Rolex watches. Add what goes to WF and what gets sold on forums and I’d be surprised if a comfortable majority of professional steel models aren’t being flipped unworn.
    Last edited by David_D; 6th September 2020 at 11:16.

It’s so bizarre though to think you can pick up a watch for say 10k and sell it for say 18k straight away. AD’s must be massively at risk of losing their contract with Rolex nowadays if it happens repeatedly.
    When the figures stack up like this I really don’t know why AD’s, Rolex or whoever try to police where and when the watches go, £8k/10k profit is too tempting for most.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    When the figures stack up like this I really don’t know why AD’s, Rolex or whoever try to police where and when the watches go, £8k/10k profit is too tempting for most.
    Clearly the list price is too cheap in relation to the 'market price' that people are willing to pay. If Rolex increased the price of a SS Daytona to £17,500 and the GMT BLRO to £12,000 overnight, would the nonsense stop. We need to reach a point were the greys are unwilling to pay list price or above, that immediately limits what the money men can do, try private sales I suppose.

They can all see the path, sell a Daytona new for £10k, the buyer then sells to the likes of WF for £20k the same day and they then list it for £24.5k and some end mug buys it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    So a “lovely genuine couple” should have priority over a long standing customer who has been supporting the business for years? Err, why?!
    Who knows how much the ring cost, whether the AD saw potential long term repeat business etc etc. My comment was in response to decent independent AD’s and I thought it was a good thing to do. Your mileage varies, your prerogative.

Clearly the list price is too cheap in relation to the 'market price' that people are willing to pay.
    Agree. I see the list price (on some models) as a discount against the market price. If you're not happy with the service go grey but be prepared to pay the market price.

Master
    Very tempting indeed. I was offered 16k for my hulk which would be a clear 8k+ profit. I have no plan to sell at this point, but must say I had to think twice when saying no to that offer!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Very tempting indeed. I was offered 16k for my hulk which would be a clear 8k+ profit. I have no plan to sell at this point, but must say I had to think twice when saying no to that offer!
    Did you say no as you really like the watch or as you are worried they will hit 20k by Xmas....

A little mania around at the moment. But really hard to know. There have been a couple of “bubble” pop moments over the last 12 months that Rolex have pushed through.

That said I don’t think we have seen anyway close to the worst of the economic impact of CV yet so who knows what pressure is to come on a luxury market.

Did you say no as you really like the watch or as you are worried they will hit 20k by Xmas....

A little mania around at the moment. But really hard to know. There have been a couple of “bubble” pop moments over the last 12 months that Rolex have pushed through.

That said I don’t think we have seen anyway close to the worst of the economic impact of CV yet so who knows what pressure is to come on a luxury market.
    Does Rolex’s popularity bother you at some deeply emotional level?:-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not at all. I am quiet fascinated by it all actually from an outside perspective (I.e don’t own any currently and not a huge fan of any model in particular, would def like to buy at retail and flip for profit if I could but won’t get the chance). It’s very interesting from a consumer behaviour and market response perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Does Rolex’s popularity bother you at some deeply emotional level?:-)

Craftsman
    The ones sold on eBay recently seem to be making £14.5k ish. I wonder if these are being purchased by greys to then put on at late teens/£20ks

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    The ones sold on eBay recently seem to be making £14.5k ish. I wonder if these are being purchased by greys to then put on at late teens/£20ks
    Yes, looks to be between 14.5 and 15.5 for recent sold prices. I suspect you’re right that dealers are buying up. Mind you, if you were in the market for one and an AD is no longer an option and grey dealers are charging £18k plus, I reckon it’s worth the potential eBay hassle to save £3k

Master
    not a huge fan of any model in particular, would def like to buy at retail and flip for profit
    You are exactly the type of new client that a Rolex AD will be desperate to build a relationship with .....

Master
    Blog Entries
    You are exactly the type of new client that a Rolex AD will be desperate to build a relationship with .....
    I have resisted their advances so far....

I think we would all like to be able to buy at retail at will and sell for a profit. If we all could how ever then obviously there would be no profit.

Craftsman

Time to go to the pub in my £20k sub

I got my hulk from AD in early 2019 after waiting nearly year, I lusted after it since 2017 but situation was not right and then prices went through roof and I was 100% sure this will be the watch I will keep and I still love it to bits but 14k gbp for it is nearly double to what I paid and not only is it not worth that much for me, I also feel like it will be too flashy and valuable for me to actually wear and I do not keep watches I dont wear.

Master

I said no because I bought the watch to own the watch. I did not buy it to sell it. I am not a dealer. However, the point of my post was to say at that level of offer I did have to think twice! As it is insane money really. I agree, mania is a good word for it.

No, it would not 'worry' me if they hit 20k by Xmas!