closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hulk for 20000? [emoji848]

Asking prices don't really mean much. Someone posted a pic in the 'Rolex in the window' thread yesterday showing a Hulk in a window at £14,750. So if that's sitting in the window with nobody buying it, who exactly is paying £20k?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Asking prices don't really mean much. Someone posted a pic in the 'Rolex in the window' thread yesterday showing a Hulk in a window at £14,750. So if that's sitting in the window with nobody buying it, who exactly is paying £20k?
    I really don’t think anybody is.

Blog Entries
    Selling price and buying price, often not the same at all. Watches as commodities - I think this has been discussed a little already.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Selling price and buying price, often not the same at all. Watches as commodities - I think this has been discussed a little already.
    Same reason I see little or no point quoting chtono24 prices on sales listings. The higher priced ones remain unsold for months

Craftsman
    Realistically a used hulk will still “only“ sell for 12.5-15.5k Depending on year and condition. This could drop a few thousand or gain a few thousand over the next few months but who knows the outcome.

If I could swap mine for a BLRO I would do it in a shot as the hulk(although beautiful) just doesn’t go with a lot of clothes.

Crazy how Both are 7.5k watches from a dealers but the BLRO doesn’t get a beating for selling for nearly double its retail price unlike the hulk.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    When Rolex Sports get discontinued recently they seem to soar in value, just look at the Subs poor relations, the GMT 116710LN or the SD4K. These were watches that were freely available in windows and unloved whilst people bought Subs hand over fist.....

GMT’s were selling on the used market well under list before being discontinued..... now they’re more than an equivalent 116610LN on the used market. So is the SD4K!

To non WIS they look like the same watch on the wrist (I work with a guy who’s wife bought him a GMT as a wedding gift thinking it was a sub (which he had asked her for) He doesn’t care, she didn’t know!)

The one thing I do know is that they aren’t making any more Hulks, ever. And hindsight and history dictates that they won’t be going down in value.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexstu View Post
    Realistically a used hulk will still “only“ sell for 12.5-15.5k Depending on year and condition. This could drop a few thousand or gain a few thousand over the next few months but who knows the outcome.

If I could swap mine for a BLRO I would do it in a shot as the hulk(although beautiful) just doesn’t go with a lot of clothes.

Crazy how Both are 7.5k watches from a dealers but the BLRO doesn’t get a beating for selling for nearly double its retail price unlike the hulk.
    I’ve literally just turned down that trade with a guy at work with my 2010 hulk for his 2019 BLRO because the 16710 I already have blows the ceramic GMT out of the water for versatility with 2 bracelets and 4 bezel inserts (black, Pepsi, Coke and faded coke)

I’d buy one at list no doubt but I’ll never get the chance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    When Rolex Sports get discontinued recently they seem to soar in value, just look at the Subs poor relations, the GMT 116710LN or the SD4K. These were watches that were freely available in windows and unloved whilst people bought Subs hand over fist.....

GMT’s were selling on the used market well under list before being discontinued..... now they’re more than an equivalent 116610LN on the used market. So is the SD4K!

To non WIS they look like the same watch on the wrist (I work with a guy who’s wife bought him a GMT as a wedding gift thinking it was a sub (which he had asked her for) He doesn’t care, she didn’t know!)

The one thing I do know is that they aren’t making any more Hulks, ever. And hindsight and history dictates that they won’t be going down in value.
    Valid point but the SD4K never sold for less than a 116610LN
    I have bought both and got the same discount on both back when you could buy them.
    I think the SD4K retailed about £1k more than the sub at that point.
    The same discount was available on the hulk then too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I’ve literally just turned down that trade with a guy at work with my 2010 hulk for his 2019 BLRO because the 16710 I already have blows the ceramic GMT out of the water for versatility with 2 bracelets and 4 bezel inserts (black, Pepsi, Coke and faded coke)

I’d buy one at list no doubt but I’ll never get the chance.
    If he still wants a trade feel free to pass on my details.

Master
    Sell the hulk and buy the BLRO on SC, you probably get some good change out of it

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would be tempted!

Struggling to understand why year matters. Of there are two unworn hulks, one 2015 and one 2020, the later one has the added value that it would be fixed under warranty should anything go wrong not related to wear and tear. So it's worth the cost of a service above a 2015 watch in my eyes. I'm not sure how else there could be any price differential.

Can someone explain. Genuine question

I’m with you. A watch with warranty is worth more but only the cost of a Rolex service imo. Perhaps a bit more if the warranty is like 5 years versus a two year warranty on a serviced watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Sell the hulk and buy the BLRO on SC, you probably get some good change out of it
    I don’t mind trading up but I don’t like profiteering by selling direct for something I got from the sc for a decent price

Master

Hulk for 20000?

I don’t mind trading up but I don’t like profiteering by selling direct for something I got from the sc for a decent price
    where did you get the hulk from and how much?

Craftsman
    where did you get the hulk from and how much?
    Off sales corner for 11k which was the going price a few months back.

Master
    Off sales corner for 11k which was the going price a few months back.
    I’m sure a big contribution to the fundraiser and buying the Pepsi for 12 would be ok

Master

Found this on TRF, three generations. I have to say the ceramic Kermit does look quite big.

Found this on TRF, three generations. I have to say the ceramic Kermit does look quite big.
    Thanks. Wow, it certainly does look bigger. Also, the bezel looks identical (colour) to the Hulk - I thought it looked darker in another photo I saw last week. Disappointed it's the same shade of green (and not darker).

Master

Hulk for 20000?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Thanks. Wow, it certainly does look bigger. Also, the bezel looks identical (colour) to the Hulk - I thought it looked darker in another photo I saw last week. Disappointed it's the same shade of green (and not darker).
    Yup, amazing what 1mm does

TWSS.

Hulk for 20000?

I know the bezel changes colour under different lighting but that really is a god awful shade of green on the last two.

If that colour had been produced by one of my printers at work I be asking him if the yellow ink duct had run out.

Which is the main reason I’ve never like the hulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I believe the size difference will not be that big in real world, that must just be the perspective of the picture...

Kermit has the best bezel colour. Hulk best dial. Cermit best proportions. IMHO!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    I know the bezel changes colour under different lighting but that really is a god awful shade of green on the last two.

If that colour had been produced by one of my printers at work I be asking him if the yellow ink duct had run out.

Which is the main reason I’ve never like the hulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It can be that green on bright summer sun, but the jeweller spotlight designed to make the dullest diamond sparkle, definitely makes it ultra green

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Struggling to understand why year matters. Of there are two unworn hulks, one 2015 and one 2020, the later one has the added value that it would be fixed under warranty should anything go wrong not related to wear and tear. So it's worth the cost of a service above a 2015 watch in my eyes. I'm not sure how else there could be any price differential.

Can someone explain. Genuine question
    has anyone seen a Hulk that was sold in 2020? I’ve only seen them from 2019.

I’ve definitely seen one. It referenced the new style warranty card

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I’ve definitely seen one. It referenced the new style warranty card

Here it is

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274482178743

2020 Rolex Submariner Date 116610LV Hulk Unworn ***VERY RARE NEW STYLE CARD***

Master

Listed - whether they will sell ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284003655795

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264857484245

Last edited by David_D; 7th September 2020 at 23:31.

I don't see this as profiteering. If you paid below market and then flipped for a quick profit I would, but paying the market rate and then selling in the future when the price rises is fair game IMO.

Would anyone be giving you money back if the Hulk had gone the other way and tanked? Don't think so.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Here it is

2020 Rolex Submariner Date 116610LV Hulk Unworn ***VERY RARE NEW STYLE CARD***
    £18k and accepting offers. Not as crazy as the £29k prices we have seen. I can see someone paying that alright.

This what happens, prices shoot up to 18k/20k and everyone is up in arms saying how crazy the asking prices are, greed takes over and then asking prices inch up to 22k, 24k, 25k..... £35k!!

We then look at the 18k/20k asking that everyone was up in arms about and think "that looks a fair price" is this method called sales conditioning or something like that?

Blog Entries
    Call me back in 2025. Let’s see what they are trading for then. Maybe they are index linked to the year number?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    This what happens, prices shoot up to 18k/20k and everyone is up in arms saying how crazy the asking prices are, greed takes over and then asking prices inch up to 22k, 24k, 25k..... £35k!!

We then look at the 18k/20k asking that everyone was up in arms about and think "that looks a fair price" is this method called sales conditioning or something like that?
    Paul Thorpe did a video on that process a few weeks ago. Interesting stuff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

What I don’t understand is who is buying at these prices. There must be fewer people willing and able to buy at £25k than at £7k. Even if you think buying at £25k is an “investment”, it’s a very large chunk of money in one place for most people in the real
    world and even most people on TZ. As is often pointed out, these are mass produced steel watches!

Is weak £ still a factor?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unkel View Post
    Paul Thorpe did a video on that process a few weeks ago. Interesting stuff.
    Haven’t seen that but I think it’s also referred to as “greater fool” theory. People cease to have any regard for intrinsic value and believe that however ridiculous the price they pay today there will be someone willing to pay more next week/month/year. That continues to work until the bubble bursts.

Master

Hulk for 20000?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Haven’t seen that but I think it’s also referred to as “greater fool” theory. People cease to have any regard for intrinsic value and believe that however ridiculous the price they pay today there will be someone willing to pay more next week/month/year. That continues to work until the bubble bursts.
    No such thing as intrinsic value in watches, melt down a patek 5711 and it has less stainless steel as a Rolex, worth 50p maybe, ok you might get a bit more for the gold winding rotor in the patek!

Master
    Blog Entries
    What I don’t understand is who is buying at these prices. There must be fewer people willing and able to buy at £25k than at £7k. Even if you think buying at £25k is an “investment”, it’s a very large chunk of money in one place for most people in the real
    world and even most people on TZ. As is often pointed out, these are mass produced steel watches!

Is weak £ still a factor?
    The answer is no body. No body is paying 25k, why are people assuming they are?

Asking prices are not sale prices, there are loads of 15k ones not sold. As pointed out it seems greys are at 18k or so from this thread. Whilst I dont think these will be 18k for ever, I see it as a bubble but many don’t, if people are paying 20k for a Daytona that’s still in production, or 16k for a blro, then who knows?

Master
    No such thing as intrinsic value in watches,
    There is with a mass produced steel watch.

The power of Instagram

I used to think that influencers couldn't really influence. How wrong was I

Master
    There is with a mass produced steel watch.
    And so are vintage Daytona and patek 5711 of which there are 467 on Chrono24 right now, double that of hulks, hulks are positively rare!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    The answer is no body. No body is paying 25k, why are people assuming they are?

Asking prices are not sale prices, there are loads of 15k ones not sold. As pointed out it seems greys are at 18k or so from this thread. Whilst I dont think these will be 18k for ever, I see it as a bubble but many don’t, if people are paying 20k for a Daytona that’s still in production, or 16k for a blro, then who knows?
    Correct Kash
    The tactic will be then to reduce the price by about 2K hoping the terminally naive jump in at that.
    I actually think the TZ membership don't tend to get sucked into the hype too much as we've all watched hot models languish on SC at asking prices often below perceived market value.

Apprentice
    I agree that the current prices of around 20k are artificial and no one will be willing to pay at these prices but they will likely drop down and level out a few grand more than they were before being discontinued. Also they aren't exactly in short supply.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis13 View Post
    I agree that the current prices of around 20k are artificial and no one will be willing to pay at these prices but they will likely drop down and level out a few grand more than they were before being discontinued. Also they aren't exactly in short supply.
    I'm waiting for them to reach 25K sale price from dealers which mean I could get a decent asking price. So it's a hold for me..

Master
    Definitely a hold. No need to rush to sell now even if you don't see as a life time keeper. There is some additional supply right now with those wanting to cash in but that supply will lower as time goes on.

Master
    If it’s of any interest wf offered me 12.5k for my hulk that I bought from them (as unworn) 5 years ago.

not bothered selling was just curious, it’s a false profit unless I’m buying something that’s not a Rolex at a discount or a Rolex to replace it at rrp

Journeyman
    If wf are offering 12.5k, they are expecting to sell it for around 16k at least? They have two for sale for 18k and 19k, with only the latter with box and papers

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unkel View Post
    If wf are offering 12.5k, they are expecting to sell it for around 16k at least? They have two for sale for 18k and 19k, with only the latter with box and papers
    Risk 101, the larger the hype the larger the spread. Maybe wf aren’t sure they will sell those at 18/19 and eventually the prices will come down, if it was my business I’d be thinking the same.

Also wf margins are large now, the days of small spread and super inflated buy in prices are gone and have been for a long time.

Btw, those two listed,are the same two that were there before the hulk was discontinued, and they have more out back which were also pre sept 1st. Needless to say none have sold so there is clearly not a lot of appetite at these prices.

Master
    Am I the only person who didn’t like it when it came out, and being unaffected by greed and status, still don’t like it now?

It’s an awful watch... it’s green for goodness sake!

I got offers around 16000~ eur via email without pictues for worn 2019 from DE dealers.