closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One watch to rule them all...

Difficult. But most likely my Animal W002 Suffers against sewage. Was my first "proper" watch I bought with one of my first "proper" pay check at 18. It's a good reliable watch that until recently I wore very regularly. An image grabbed from the Web since I'm sat waiting in the car and it's safely tucked up in the watch box at home. Side note, there was an image linked to TZ-UK for a Friday thread too!
    Love for it solidified when I noticed one of the "fish" is a used condom.
    Animal watches have been a part of my collection since. And this made me progress to an Elliot Brown earlier this year. Having the same heritage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I’m keen to see UKTOTTY’s answer to this, having seen his behemoth SOTC post a few weeks back.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    +1
    I reckon uktotty won’t even click on this thread haha

Blog Entries
    If they would make the bezel brushed ceramic in a steel colour this watch would perfect. It’s pretty close as it stands. The most underrated modern Rolex. I’m hoping I get one soon.

I don’t think you’ll regret it. The bezel was a bit of a worry after reading how easily it was marked but it’s been fine. I just don’t wear it in the workshop or gardening!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zoiksy View Post
    Difficult. But most likely my Animal W002 Suffers against sewage. Was my first "proper" watch I bought with one of my first "proper" pay check at 18. It's a good reliable watch that until recently I wore very regularly. An image grabbed from the Web since I'm sat waiting in the car and it's safely tucked up in the watch box at home. Side note, there was an image linked to TZ-UK for a Friday thread too!
    Love for it solidified when I noticed one of the "fish" is a used condom.
    Animal watches have been a part of my collection since. And this made me progress to an Elliot Brown earlier this year. Having the same heritage.

I had one myself in the 90s on one of their nubuck Velcro straps. Don’t know where it’s gone now but I’d love to find it.

Master
    A really tough one. I have 2 watches of particular memory to me: a 16710 which was bought in celebration of my son's birth (and he may one day receive it), and my 5205G which celebrated 'chapter 2'. If I could only pick one? I couldn't as both represent the past leading upto an auspicious moment in time, but also the many hopes and dreams yet to be fulfilled.

5205g

Master

Straightforward 5513

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

Straightforward 5513
    That paint has aged beautifully

It would have to be the Zenith, my favourite all rounder.

Master
    It would never happen I prefer choices!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    It would never happen I prefer choices!
    I think we all do. That’s why I raised the question!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    Are these still reasonably easy to source from retail?
    When I purchased in early 2019 I only had to wait a few days. Others report much longer waits, but fair to say by Rolex standards it was accessible. Occasionally they'd even pop up in shop windows, I saw one in a shop window in 2018 and tried it on but wasn't in a position to purchase.

Now days with the ever growing hype train Rolex is on I think it's getting more difficult. Still not a Sub/GMT/Daytona by a long shot so I don't think you'd have to play silly games about spending thresholds, but may have a longer wait than before.

That said, myself and others have speculated that with the OP 39 discontinued (making this the only 39mm), the OP 36 3/6/9 dial discontinued (making this the only 3/6/9 in the catalogue), mixed with the reasonably strong prospect of an Explorer update next year with the anniversary, that these might end up in short supply. It does seem to have a bit of a niche in the catalogue now. Although that said, technically on paper the updated OP is a better watch for less money... but since when are watch buyers logical?

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    A really tough one. I have 2 watches of particular memory to me: a 16710 which was bought in celebration of my son's birth (and he may one day receive it), and my 5205G which celebrated 'chapter 2'. If I could only pick one? I couldn't as both represent the past leading upto an auspicious moment in time, but also the many hopes and dreams yet to be fulfilled.

5205g
    When I was still in school, my dad gave me a gold Longines that his mother gave him on his 21st birthday. I of course wore it like a beater, inevitably loaning it to my first proper girlfriend. She snapped a lug while play fighting with another boy (whom she went on to marry).

I would advise waiting until your son’s 21st!

My keeper is a lowly Panzera 47 flieger my recently departed wife bought me.

For sheer versatility

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    When I was still in school, my dad gave me a gold Longines that his mother gave him on his 21st birthday. I of course wore it like a beater, inevitably loaning it to my first proper girlfriend. She snapped a lug while play fighting with another boy (whom she went on to marry).

I would advise waiting until your son’s 21st!

My keeper is a lowly Panzera 47 flieger my recently departed wife bought me.
    He is currently studying medicine at uni in year 2 and the earliest he may get it is only when he finishes(!) Until then, he is enjoying his PRS22 Speedbird :)

Craftsman
    This one...

I saw my first Rolex aged 17 and vowed to have one.

It only took me 30 years to be in a position to get this LOL.

We have done this "once or twice" before but I'll play

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

If I hadn’t sold it a few years ago it would have been a 16600. Out of my current collection I’d keep the SD4000 I bought to replace my old 16600.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    ...Now if Eddie made a centre minutes air ministry chrono...
    ...if he did, I'd be in the queue; the more so if he made a centre minutes Smith's Navigator chrono with those hands.

One watch to rule them all...

On a similar previous thread (something about which watch would be the last man standing, iirc) I said it would be my Breitling Avenger Skyland, but my collection has changed and although I still own it it wouldn’t be my one and only now.

Instead I am going to say it would now be my Offshore Professional Field Engineer. This of course is the brilliant watch created by the late Lorne Gifford, and I have only recently realised how easy it is to completely change the look of it with different straps. I now have QR straps for it in black sailcloth, blue leather and brown leather. It makes it so versatile, and looks fantastic on everything.

Gratuitous photo coming up

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 3rd September 2020 at 16:12.

Fellow collectors, if you had to pick one watch from your respective collections to keep, and discard the rest...which would you keep, and why?
    But if after discarding all but one watch, there would be nothing left over which to rule.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The test is whether a watch makes you smile each time you look at it. This one does.
    That’s a really good litmus test for whether a watch is worth keeping I think. For me it’s my Seamaster Chrono as it’s got so much detail for a black faced watch.

@WatchFanUK23 this one. Merry Christmas

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    A fine choice, Sir. All the best.

Grand Master
    i could pick my explorer II but i wear this a lot!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman

One watch to rule them all...

Easy choice and coincidentally it would be the last man standing if the collection had to go head to head in a conker style tournament.

Attachment 18558

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Me too!
    Excuse the paint spots I’ve just got all over it...

Journeyman
    DD40

Would be the SD43 for me too.

very strong..

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post

Don't have it but this would be the one now (will probably change my mind in a few months)

A late night browse on the net I’ve discovered this... the F.P. Journe Chronographe Rattrapante. Probably not for everyone but wow

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    A late night browse on the net I’ve discovered this... the F.P. Journe Chronographe Rattrapante. Probably not for everyone but wow

Always been a fan of the resonance or the quartz model, but this is something else

From what I've owned the best Sports watch is the Grand Seiko SBGP015. I sold it, regretted it and have had to buy a new one at £1k more than I sold mine for 2 months ago. Doh! That WILL stay (and that's saying a lot for a flipper like me).

Else my Dornbluth 99.1 stays as it has my son's name and D.O.B inscribed on the movement

Master
    A couple of years ago I bought this as the "one watch:

Unfortunately, I had to sell it (back to the forum) to be able to afford this:

The 5227 is a fantastic watch but I really need something more robust that I can cycle and (when allowed) go to the pub and generally misbehave in. So, my current "one watch is this":

The BB chrono ticks the above boxes and, as of this morning, is about a second fast in 18 days, so is proving a really excellent timekeeper. I do really use the chrono feature as well !

A marmite watch but very, very happy with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post

The 5227 is a fantastic watch but I really need something more robust that I can cycle and (when allowed) go to the pub and generally misbehave in. So, my current "one watch is this":

The BB chrono ticks the above boxes and, as of this morning, is about a second fast in 18 days, so is proving a really excellent timekeeper. I do really use the chrono feature as well !

Lovely watch and pictures Gary!

Master
    Lovely watch and pictures Gary!

Thanks for the kind words Tommy. The Tudor is definitely no FPJ (which you point out below and which I REALLY like but is probably above my pay grade) but the Tudor is a great workhorse watch.

I hope that you are keeping well.

Gary

That's a dangerously good shot here, the kind to make me think "should I consider getting a bb chrono?"
    Lovely watch!

Strange I know, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I want each watch in my very small collection to fit the ‘only watch’ mould. By which I mean, if I was only left with this watch would I be happy? It certainly helped put the brakes on me buying watches that I ultimately end up selling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    That's a dangerously good shot here, the kind to make me think "should I consider getting a bb chrono?"
    Lovely watch!
    Cheers Wandril.

I read a lot about the deficiencies of the BB Chrono before purchasing, for example: it has the snowflake "dive" hands and the autosport tachy bezel which some regard as a bit of a mishmash, plus; it is fairly slab sided and with a raised crystal so is fairly tall and hefty. FWIW, something like a Daytona is a much more elegant chrono (IMVHO) with its more sculptured case but it does not have the date feature, which I like on the Tudor. I am very glad that the aforementioned deficiencies did not put me off this watch which is a joy to actually own and use.

FWIW, I currently rotate between the Tudor BB chrono and this (kindly supplied by Ken, here on TZUK) with the Tudor being worn for about 75% of the time:

Last edited by gc52; 18th March 2021 at 10:33.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Instead I am going to say it would now be my Offshore Professional Field Engineer. This of course is the brilliant watch created by the late Lorne Gifford, and I have only recently realised how easy it is to completely change the look of it with different straps. I now have QR straps for it in black sailcloth, blue leather and brown leather. It makes it so versatile, and looks fantastic on everything.

Gratuitous photo coming up

Simon
    Really cool watch there Simon. I've got a 6B Scramble incoming and can really see some similarities in the dial design. With the way the indices flow into the circular cut-out, the square around the logo & the bezel shape.
    I wonder if it was influenced by this watch + the military style of 6Bs previous releases.

It would be the seamaster 2254 for me. Somehow I just always seem to end up going back to this one.

My one watch to rule them all I guess is my OP39, simply because it’s just that - a watch and not much more.

I like that it’s discrete, flys under the radar, and the proportions are perfect. But, beyond the subtlety you have a very capable and rugged watch - 100m WR with screw down crown, great COSC movement, anti-magnetism, 904 steel, white gold hands/indices, fully lumed indices, superb bracelet. It has all the capability of a sports watch, but with the classic design cues.

I guess that some might find it dull, but the flip side is that with nothing superfluous there is less to not like, less to start bugging you after the honeymoon period, less to go wrong. For me less is more.

I think pairing this with something outright sporty with several complications and a white dial would make the perfect combo; polar dial Explorer II would be the dream, but aiming for probably the white Omega SMP longer term. Short term I have the white 41mm AquaRacer on order as a solid alternative.

Cheers Wandril.

I read a lot about the deficiencies of the BB Chrono before purchasing, for example: it has the snowflake "dive" hands and the autosport tachy bezel which some regard as a bit of a mishmash, plus; it is fairly slab sided and with a raised crystal so is fairly tall and hefty. FWIW, something like a Daytona is a much more elegant chrono (IMVHO) with its more sculptured case but it does not have the date feature, which I like on the Tudor. I am very glad that the aforementioned deficiencies did not put me off this watch which is a joy to actually own and use.

FWIW, I currently rotate between the Tudor BB chrono and this (kindly supplied by Ken, here on TZUK) with the Tudor being worn for about 75% of the time:

I always thought about divers with chronograph function as an odd mix, never really got interested in it, as I'd rather have a simple 3 hands diver, and a chronograph.

That being said, there's just something aesthetically working for me with the black bay chrono, the right proportions, a lovely steel tachymeter bezel, nice and legible, I like the snowflake hands, nice movement in it...
    But as you mentioned, what held me back on it is the slab sides and the overall chunkiness.
    I do respect the fact the daytona is more elegant on its case design, but the dial never did anything for me, which is good as this watch seems to be highly unobtainable anyway

For the price of the daytona, I would happily wear a speedmaster for the more classic/elegant side, and this black bay chrono for a more chunky toolish watch!

May they never bring down the size of the black bay chrono, nor the black bay gmt, for the sake of my wallet as much as my own sanity, or what's left of it after so much time spent surrounded by watches haha!
    Last edited by Wandril; 18th March 2021 at 11:24.

Thanks for the kind words Tommy. The Tudor is definitely no FPJ (which you point out below and which I REALLY like but is probably above my pay grade) but the Tudor is a great workhorse watch.

I hope that you are keeping well.

Gary
    The Journe was off-topic (apologies) as I don't own one... I've not even handled any FPJ before! One can only dream however:)

All is well - hope you're keeping well too!

Master
    The Journe was off-topic (apologies) as I don't own one... I've not even handled any FPJ before! One can only dream however:)

All is well - hope you're keeping well too!
    Hi Tommy

No confsion, I assumed that the FPJ was not yours. Thanks for sharing the images though.

Obviously, I spend longer than I should admiring watches that I cannot afford here on TZ and that FPJ was one of the nicest that I have seen for a whle. I will also dream !

Well done, BTW, on getting the Speedy 321; that is another really nice piece.

Very best wishes

Gary

I’ve just done this!
    Am a One-watch man right now...

Went for the SeaDweller 50th Anniversary.
    Let’s see how long I last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    I woud sell my DJ, Superocean, Seamaster, Heuer Black Coral and King Samurai and buy a Yachtmaster 16622.

I'm planning to maybe do that this year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Strange I know, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I want each watch in my very small collection to fit the ‘only watch’ mould. By which I mean, if I was only left with this watch would I be happy? It certainly helped put the brakes on me buying watches that I ultimately end up selling.

This is definitely true. The more watches you get the more you worry about each being a potentially only watch!

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk