closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One watch to rule them all...

From some of the choices it seems that we are assuming that we would be able to sell and convert the watches not chosen into money, back into our accounts. No massive loss then.

How much would the choices change if you were forced to literally lose all but the one watch to thieves and, to compound the problem you find you were not insured ? In other words, whatever you lose you take the financial hit on as well as the loss of the actual watch, you don't get a payout and can't re-buy unless you dig deep into your pockets.
    So under those circumstances, if you were to chose the one not to be stolen...then which one would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    The more difficult question is what if I became a two watch person...
    I am a two Watch person and as one is currently away logically the other gets the nod today.

In a few weeks the other will be back and this one is booked in with Simon Freese, so I reserve the right to change my mind. A watch is not for ever, just until it's time to sell

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    He did understand - I think he meant a one watch collection was too crazy a thought to contemplate
    Yep.

But if needs must, I would keep my most indulgent purchase because it would be hardest to part with and hardest to buy back (at current prices) and oddly, as it is presently merely a safe queen, I would need to actually wear it and likely get more pleasure from it.
    Well, initially at least because after a while and with no basis for comparison it would become just a watch.
    Maybe then I could start collecting something else instead.

So you see, there really wouldn't be any point at all.

Edit: In a nutshell - for myself, the pleasure is in the distraction, or if you like the 'curating'.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 2nd September 2020 at 10:11.

Following the herd it would be one of my Rolexes. The SD or GMT 2.

The GMT would probably win due to comfort, but if I was about to embark on travel, the SD would pip it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    From some of the choices it seems that we are assuming that we would be able to sell and convert the watches not chosen into money, back into our accounts. No massive loss then.

How much would the choices change if you were forced to literally lose all but the one watch to thieves and, to compound the problem you find you were not insured ? In other words, whatever you lose you take the financial hit on as well as the loss of the actual watch, you don't get a payout and can't re-buy unless you dig deep into your pockets.
    So under those circumstances, if you were to chose the one not to be stolen...then which one would it be?
    That's a different question. Lets' keep it simple at the back please!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Never ever sell a Rolex, just keep buying but never sell - simple as that.
    Sorry to get off topic - That's why I keep this record on file. - ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Following the herd it would be one of my Rolexes. The SD or GMT 2.

The GMT would probably win due to comfort, but if I was about to embark on travel, the SD would pip it.
    Isn't the GMT supposed to be for travel?

Had one, stupidly sold it, found one again and it will have to be pried from my cold dead hands for me to part with it:

Last edited by 50kopek; 2nd September 2020 at 11:32.

Big Block

IMG_20181208_093948b by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Journeyman
    That is a supremely beautiful watch. And what a lovely history, too, being as if a gift from your mother. If price were no object, I would choose that as my watch, too. (Just need to figure out the ability to afford one first...But hopefully one day.)

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Easy one for me. Bought in memory of my mother from a suprise last cheque from her estate. Probably the perfect case size for me at 39mm and I am of the age where it suits well with my lifestyle. Works well with causal (which I wear mostly) as well as smart casual (which I wear little these days).

Recent picture this summer: I present my Patek Philippe Annual Calendar 5146J

Failing that it would have been my 16600 - but I sold it.

Journeyman
    If I were practical, I would choose my Black Bay 58, which I adore and which dresses up and down with incredible facility. As it happens I would choose my Cartier Santos, which was a gift from my parents when I was younger. The family history means I would never be able to willingly part with it. I absolutely love it, too, and aesthetically it has always been my favorite watch. It's a little less practical as despite the bracelet, I find it a pretty formal watch which does not dress down terribly well. But it is otherwise to me a perfect watch (and a good excuse to dress up).

Santos2 by J D, on Flickr
    Last edited by Lantenac06; 2nd September 2020 at 10:54.

Discounting the gold Jaquet Droz my parents bought me for my 21st, it would be my Sinn Arktis.

Does everything I want of a watch and makes me smile whenever I look at it.

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Rolex Submariner Date 16610.

We have grown old together. It has taken everything I, and the planet, can throw at it.

Dresses up with bracelet and dark leather - dresses down with bracelet, nato, or rubber straps.

Still looks pretty pristine (don't wear it as often as I used to but for the first 12 years 24/7).

Modest in looks (no super hand sizes or super hour markers). Just looks sensible.

Date is large for eyes that are no longer quite 20/20.

Classic looks, and superb design.

As I say, I don't wear it that often now, I have some that are more expensive (and strangely that I don't wear that often either), and more still that are as cheap as chips and that I do wear. This variety adds spice.

Finally, the watch I used to time my wife's contractions on the birth of our first. Using the bezel of course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post
    If I were practical, I would choose my Black Bay 58, which I adore and which dresses up and down with incredible facility. As it happens I would choose my Cartier Santos, which was a gift from my parents when I was younger. The family history means I would never be able to willingly part with it. I absolutely love it, too, and aesthetically it has always been my favorite watch. It's a little less practical as despite the bracelet, I find it a pretty formal watch which does not dress down terribly well. But it is otherwise to me a perfect watch (and a good excuse to dress up).

IMHO the Santos, although fine in a formal dressy sense, to me it's a sporty watch, so looks good with casual attire/shorts & flip- flops etc. The Louis Cartier/ Tank Americains are the dress watches.
    Never got round to a Santos, hopefully one day though.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

What size is that one?

Journeyman
    I completely take your point, and agree especially with regard to the newer Santos models, which are definitely sportier and more casual than the traditional tank. And I also appreciate that traditionally a dress watch entails a leather strap and a steel/gold bracelet would not be considered as formal. I can only say that aesthetically I find the older Santos models like mine, especially with gold, pretty dressy; this is partially because of the smaller size I think, mixed with the always formal Cartier dial with its classic design and roman numerals.

I suspect part of this is down to the smaller proportions of the older Santos, as well as the yellow gold. Cartier has scaled up the proportions of a lot of their models to a point where they don't always look as dressy as they did in the past, leather strap or not. To my mind my model looks out of place with the most casual attire (eg, shorts and flip flops), although it can look sportier if you pair it with a nice Polo shirt or button down with rolled up sleeves and chinos.

I think the newer steel Santos on the other hand are more versatile and could suit pretty much any occasion. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    IMHO the Santos, although fine in a formal dressy sense, to me it's a sporty watch, so looks good with casual attire/shorts & flip- flops etc. The Louis Cartier/ Tank Americains are the dress watches.

Last edited by Lantenac06; 3rd September 2020 at 09:56.

Journeyman
    The diameter is 29mm across. It's from the early 2000s when the watches were a bit smaller than they tend to be now.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    What size is that one?

Journeyman
    PS Should have said - would definitely recommend picking one up! The newer ones offer a lot more variety in case size/style than they used to and they are great watches all around. The new easy strap change system looks pretty nice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post

Master
    A tough choice for me as I have 2 watches that are of sentimental value and 1 that I personally love.

An Eterna Tangaroa which I bought in memory of my Grandfather. It's also by far the most comfortable watch I own.

A Breitling Superocean Heritage bought in memory of my Mum.

It would be difficult to part with my personal favorite though. My UN Dual Time.

Overall I'd probably keep the Breitling and sell the other two to my 8 year old son and 'keep them safe' for him lol

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    Nice! Did they make the bezel as a special order??
    Yes, it's a bezel from the DC6x series of watches - which are interchangeable with the DC8x (coin edge) bezels - Damasko are prepared to mix and match the bezel type and bezel insert as you wish; they also painted the chrono hands red - added Eur35 to the cost.

Journeyman
    All great watches but I especially love the Superocean Heritage - what a gorgeous watch! The blue is magnificent. How lovely to have it in memory of your Mum.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    A tough choice for me as I have 2 watches that are of sentimental value and 1 that I personally love.

An Eterna Tangaroa which I bought in memory of my Grandfather. It's also by far the most comfortable watch I own.

A Breitling Superocean Heritage bought in memory of my Mum.

It would be difficult to part with my personal favorite though. My UN Dual Time.

Overall I'd probably keep the Breitling and sell the other two to my 8 year old son and 'keep them safe' for him lol

Absolutely no doubt about it, this one as my Father carried it with him throughout WW2

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Once upon a time it was my Sea-Dweller 16600. I sold that...

Then it was my Hulk 116610LV. I sold that...

Currently it's this https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...of-Time-PAM670 Surprisingly wearable as an everyday watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Absolutely no doubt about it, this one as my Father carried it with him throughout WW2

That's interesting Griswold.

I suspect carrying a pocket watch was more common during the first world war, rather than the second.

Did your Father ever talk to you about the watch, and why he preferred that to a wristwatch?

For me at this moment in time it would be the 6159-7000 (Seiko).

My Grand Seiko Heritage quartz ( i forget the model numbers )

Because the quality of the dial, hands, polishing and indices are at the level i want without breaking the bank, super accuracy, look great, good size / weight, like the crystal dome and AR used, overall very nice watch

Master
    Aside from sentimental watches, this one.

Journeyman
    16710 obvs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    That's interesting Griswold.

I suspect carrying a pocket watch was more common during the first world war, rather than the second.

Did your Father ever talk to you about the watch, and why he preferred that to a wristwatch?
    Thank you, it's a Waterbury Series N dating from 1890 and made in the USA.

Dad had been wearing a wristwatch which got broken whilst serving on Bofors Guns. His mother bought the watch, (it's actually a ladies size watch), from a local pawnbrokers to replace it. The case isn't hallmarked but a jeweller advised him it was gold when he had it serviced - though I'm not certain about that as Waterbury was set up to make very inexpensive watches; the movement contains a Duplex Escapement, so not exactly haute horology! It's certainly not plated and if it's rolled gold then it must be very thick given its age and the amount of wear it's had over all those years.

The chain and Albert were originally my Grandfathers and are definitely 9ct gold as they are hallmarked Chester, .375 and date them as assayed in 1919. He, rather strangely, wore it on a stainless steel pocket watch - no one knows why.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Thank you, it's a Waterbury Series N dating from 1890 and made in the USA.

Dad had been wearing a wristwatch which got broken whilst serving on Bofors Guns. His mother bought the watch, (it's actually a ladies size watch), from a local pawnbrokers to replace it. The case isn't hallmarked but a jeweller advised him it was gold when he had it serviced - though I'm not certain about that as Waterbury was set up to make very inexpensive watches; the movement contains a Duplex Escapement, so not exactly haute horology! It's certainly not plated and if it's rolled gold then it must be very thick given its age and the amount of wear it's had over all those years.

The chain and Albert were originally my Grandfathers and are definitely 9ct gold as they are hallmarked Chester, .375 and date them as assayed in 1919. He, rather strangely, wore it on a stainless steel pocket watch - no one knows why.
    Thanks for the insight.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Aesthetically this one.

But for sentimental reasons my 14060m would stay.
    Last edited by verv; 3rd September 2020 at 12:29.

Craftsman
    I’m really enjoying the responses and thought processes. Thanks for everyone’s contributions - keep ‘em coming! I’m going to read all in detail when the working day is done.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Thanks for starting a great thread! Reading through everyone's responses has definitely kept me entertained throughout the work day...

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I’m really enjoying the responses and thought processes. Thanks for everyone’s contributions - keep ‘em coming! I’m going to read all in detail when the working day is done.

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Had one, stupidly sold it, found one again and it will have to be pried from my cold dead hands for me to part with it:

Wow, I can see why!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Rolex Submariner Date 16610.

We have grown old together. It has taken everything I, and the planet, can throw at it.

Dresses up with bracelet and dark leather - dresses down with bracelet, nato, or rubber straps.

Still looks pretty pristine (don't wear it as often as I used to but for the first 12 years 24/7).

Modest in looks (no super hand sizes or super hour markers). Just looks sensible.

Date is large for eyes that are no longer quite 20/20.

Classic looks, and superb design.

As I say, I don't wear it that often now, I have some that are more expensive (and strangely that I don't wear that often either), and more still that are as cheap as chips and that I do wear. This variety adds spice.

Finally, the watch I used to time my wife's contractions on the birth of our first. Using the bezel of course.
    I love this post. You’ve really captured the essence here. Your watch encapsulates versatility, durability and sentimentality. One of the issues I face with having a collection is that I’m constantly rotating and trading, never falling in love with the individual items while I’m busy curating the whole collection...and looking to improve it constantly.

One watch to rule them all...

Probably the GMT 16750 ... mainly because it’’s been my daughter’’s favourite since she was 4 years old. One day I’’d like it to be hers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Yes, it's a bezel from the DC6x series of watches - which are interchangeable with the DC8x (coin edge) bezels - Damasko are prepared to mix and match the bezel type and bezel insert as you wish; they also painted the chrono hands red - added Eur35 to the cost.
    So it’s truly your watch, with your stamp on it. I wish there was more of this available. Those Rolex / Tudor type configurators are a sham. They just lead you to current production models. I recognise that to be a good business model, true customisation is a costly thing to offer, but to have exactly what you want would be a lovely premium service.

Craftsman
    PS Should have said - would definitely recommend picking one up! The newer ones offer a lot more variety in case size/style than they used to and they are great watches all around. The new easy strap change system looks pretty nice, too.
    The Santos is the one I feel I’m missing most from my current collection. I need to sort this out.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    That’s where I got to. I decided that every watch I own should be one that if I was wearing it and all the others were lost I’d be happy with that one. Soon ruled out the “a watch for this scenario” that I’d previously worked to.

I hope I get there guys. For me temptation is everywhere. I’m like a tree in the wind with watches right now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Easy one for me. Bought in memory of my mother from a suprise last cheque from her estate. Probably the perfect case size for me at 39mm and I am of the age where it suits well with my lifestyle. Works well with causal (which I wear mostly) as well as smart casual (which I wear little these days).

Recent picture this summer: I present my Patek Philippe Annual Calendar 5146J

Failing that it would have been my 16600 - but I sold it.
    Splendid watch, and lovely way to remember your mother. Timeless, elegant and will stay in the family for generations.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Probably the GMT 16750 ... mainly because it’’s been my daughter’’s favourite since she was 4 years old. One day I’’d like it to be hers.

I’ve two young daughters myself and they have a similar fixation with my 16710! It’s the colours!!!

Craftsman
    My grandfather had an old Cartier Tank. Very simple, always on his wrist. I always admired it as a child and I dreamt of owning it one day but it didn’t end up being the case when he passed away. If I had inherited that, it would without any doubt been my 1 watch. Not worth a huge amount of money but it had lived a great life.

Blog Entries
    At the moment it would have to be the Explorer 2, which just edges my Planet Ocean 2500 into second place. A great all round watch for all occasions. But things do change...

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    At the moment it would have to be the Explorer 2, which just edges my Planet Ocean 2500 into second place. A great all round watch for all occasions. But things do change...

If they would make the bezel brushed ceramic in a steel colour this watch would perfect. It’s pretty close as it stands. The most underrated modern Rolex. I’m hoping I get one soon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
    16710 obvs!

16710 for me too.

Out of my 4 watch collection, I'm struggling with 3.

Obvious choice would be the Seiko Arnie - dad bought when I was born and passed to me on my 18th. Yet it's total tool watch territory, quartz, and I'd struggle to fit it into every situation.

The thought the Pam 560 - grail watch for me for a very long time. Worn at the birth of my daughter, and one that she loves to play with the crown guard. Distinctive, not as common. Can be used in most occasions. Just a tad to big wearing daily.

See what i mean about the size

But the versatility of this one, birthday piece when it turned up, although ordered once my daughter was born (took a year to arrive). Also now one she loves to twist the bezel on. A safe bet I know.

Craftsman
    Eeny meeny miny moe ...

Tough call ... but the 16200 gets the nod ! Hard to beat the Datejust as the ultimate every day watch :)

Apprentice
    Ha, what a question to ask on a watch forum like this. YOU'RE NOT LIMITING ME TO ONE!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CameraJoe View Post
    Ha, what a question to ask on a watch forum like this. YOU'RE NOT LIMITING ME TO ONE!
    That’s the fun of it!

Craftsman
    I’m keen to see UKTOTTY’s answer to this, having seen his behemoth SOTC post a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Wow, I can see why!
    Me too!

My wife bought me a Sinn 556a as an engagement present, so that’s that really!