closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Latest addition: Glycine Airman 18

Craftsman

Latest addition: Glycine Airman 18

Hello fellow WIS,

This weekend I received the latest addition to my collection the Glycine Airman 18.

It is called World Timer as it is the GMT version, not the 24 hour Purist.

At 39mm case size and 38mm at the bezel it wears very comfortable om my 7,5 inch wrist. Lug to Lug 46,5 mm

It features a 24 hour bezel which can be locked with the crown at 4 o'clock. As there is also a 24 hour division on the dial three timezones can be covered.
    The GMT hand can be set separately as a 24 hour hand. The regular minute and hour hand are the normal12 hour display.
    What can be a bit confusing is that there are no 12 hour markings on the dial. However, I got used to that quite quickly.

With the screw down crown and sapphire crystal it has a 200m water resistance which is nice to have on a daily wearer.

The watch comes on a croc calf leather strap, which I swapped for a milanaise mesh bracelet so the 200m water resistance is actually useful.
    Also in my opinion the mesh looks very nice on the watch and gives it a more vintage(y) character.

The details on this watch are are executed very well:
    the date wheel and window are radial, not square
    the crowns are oversized in a nice way.
    the winding crown has the crosshatched markings like a compressor crown
    the locking crown features the Glycine logo
    the case has a nice polished rounded shape with fat beveled lugs
    lugs 20 mm and brushed on the top
    the bezel has a brushed surface with deep numerals in rose gold
    dial matt black with white and rose gold text
    hands in rose gold and super luminova

The movement is a SW 330-1 from Selita. (equivalent ETA 2893-) and runs at ca. +5 sec per day

For me this is a cool every day watch with a vintage charm from a heritage brand with one of the first GMT watches.

Glycine has been taken over by Invicta and is selling these at very reasonable prices. I actually think they are downright cheap for what you get!

Some pics:

Thank you for having a look,

Oscar

Congratulations on what is a very handsome watch, and I couldn't agree more: Glycine are an out-and-out bargain.

If it were not for this:

Quote Originally Posted by BMONSTER View Post
    ... The regular minute and hour hand are the normal 12 hour display. ...
    I would have one of these myself, but it would annoy the hell out of me to have a 24 hour watch with one 12 hour cycle - both timezones should operate on 24 hour cycles! I am baffled why they don't sort this out - it would not require especially drastic mods to a movement to facilitate it, and they have some economy of scale.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Congratulations on what is a very handsome watch, and I couldn't agree more: Glycine are an out-and-out bargain.

If it were not for this:

I would have one of these myself, but it would annoy the hell out of me to have a 24 hour watch with one 12 hour cycle - both timezones should operate on 24 hour cycles! I am baffled why they don't sort this out - it would not require especially drastic mods to a movement to facilitate it, and they have some economy of scale.
    I might be reading it wrong, but surely the primary display should act as a 12hr rotation? There is no point in having a 24hr primary dial other than to be quirky.

So - if you want local to be primary - you enjoy the analogous feature of being able to glance at the dial and “know” the time.

Or - retain primary at HOME time and suffer 24hr dial while travelling.

I have 2 Glycine watches; a 36mm Airman and a 36mm Combat Classic Model.

I'm amazed at the value proposition.

They both keep getting wrist time.

I don’t wear mine enough.
    Unusual and always gets a comment when it gets noticed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I might be reading it wrong, but surely the primary display should act as a 12hr rotation? There is no point in having a 24hr primary dial other than to be quirky.

So - if you want local to be primary - you enjoy the analogous feature of being able to glance at the dial and “know” the time.

Or - retain primary at HOME time and suffer 24hr dial while travelling.
    I get both opinions:

1. Glycine started the Airman as a 24 hour watch with a 24 hour bezel for the second timezone. So the Purist with only a 24 hour hand would be closest to the original. And easy to read.

2. Using the 24 hour hand as the primary timezone can be done, but the date changes over to the 12 hour handset. So that gets confusing.

3. Having 2 24 hour hands makes it not very legible I think, although this solution came to my thoughts as well.

For me the GMT is fine as it is. However, a pure 24 hour watch is on my wish list.