closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex content - Butchered Case Back from hell, not for sensitive eyes!

It's up to £2750.00 on the auction. I think it will surpass the £3000.00 easy.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Wonders if the person opening the case in this way, was intending on also working on the movement !
    A sobering thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy it, silicone the back up and wear it.....

In 5 years time it'll look like a bargain. :D

It's up to £3250.00 with 3 day's to go.
    Obviously some people think it's salvageable so might go over £4000.00

Master
    If it does go for 4k then after buyers premium and tax that is 5.2k. I don’t know, but to me it doesn’t make sense to take such a big risk when a nice one with no issues can be had for around 7k from a dealer. At Fellows two weeks ago a replacement dial Tudor big block with replacement bracelet went for more than what can be bad for a nice condition one from a dealer, why??

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    If it does go for 4k then after buyers premium and tax that is 5.2k. I don’t know, but to me it doesn’t make sense to take such a big risk when a nice one with no issues can be had for around 7k from a dealer. At Fellows two weeks ago a replacement dial Tudor big block with replacement bracelet went for more than what can be bad for a nice condition one from a dealer, why??
    I maybe wrong but a triple six with good patina fetches a fair bit more than £7K, saying that a new case and back for a watch of this vintage is not exactly off the Cousins shelf, be interesting to where it finishes up..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I maybe wrong but a triple six with good patina fetches a fair bit more than £7K, saying that a new case and back for a watch of this vintage is not exactly off the Cousins shelf, be interesting to where it finishes up..
    You might be right, amazing how the degree and matching of patina can impact, this one is particularly nice.

Oyster case opened by an oyster shucker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New case, new back = more or less new watch in my book Trigger’s broom

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

£3800.00 at the moment. Definitely going to be over £4000.00 I think.

Master
    My money is on 6k hammer price (before fees)

Rolex content - Butchered Case Back from hell, not for sensitive eyes!

7 mins to go and currently £6890 with online fees, hope the winning bidder has a case and back ready!

Edit: now £8060 with fees, every bid adds 10mins..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 6th September 2020 at 20:10.

Finished - £8970 with fees!!!

Craftsman
    When I saw that ground cross on the case back I nearly cried!

What the hell?

Master

Rolex content - Butchered Case Back from hell, not for sensitive eyes!

Pretty insane when this is available on chrono, save £4 also, and the case back is ok!

I guess if the buyer has a spare old case and caseback that’s been waiting for this kind of opportunity for years, it’s a good buy.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Wonders if the person opening the case in this way, was intending on also working on the movement !
    Probably wanted to change the battery as it had stopped.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    Wow, that's nearly £1400 more than I paid for a near mint full set about 18 months ago. At the time I reckoned I was overpaying by about £100 too, but really wanted the watch, and reckoned it was still just within the value range so was probably worth it considering the watch's condition. The 16600 wasn't as in demand a watch back then, but I was starting to see more online conversations about it at the time, being mentioned as the last good value Rolex diver to be had. Checking on Chrono24, that really seems to have changed.

I can't understand anyone paying that money for a watch that's going to need so much more spent on it, when there are decent examples out there at around that price. In saying that, the whole Rolex thing really is astonishing me, and I do wonder how much longer it will last?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer2016 View Post
    Wow, that's nearly £1400 more than I paid for a near mint full set about 18 months ago. At the time I reckoned I was overpaying by about £100 too, but really wanted the watch, and reckoned it was still just within the value range so was probably worth it considering the watch's condition. The 16600 wasn't as in demand a watch back then, but I was starting to see more online conversations about it at the time, being mentioned as the last good value Rolex diver to be had. Checking on Chrono24, that really seems to have changed.

I can't understand anyone paying that money for a watch that's going to need so much more spent on it, when there are decent examples out there at around that price. In saying that, the whole Rolex thing really is astonishing me, and I do wonder how much longer it will last?

Is yours a 16600 or a 16660? there is a price difference with the 16660 being worth more and the auction watch was just that a butchered triple six..

Finished - £8970 with fees!!!

You couldn't make that up!

Journeyman
    Fair point! Mine's a 16600. Although on a quick glance I didn't notice a whole lot of difference on price, I see now some of the 16660's go up a lot higher! Even still, there are plenty around the 9-10k mark on Chrono24, which seems to be where the 16600 is now. I don't really know much about the 16660 though, so perhaps there are the usual distinctions that make some valued more than others!

Fair point! Mine's a 16600. Although on a quick glance I didn't notice a whole lot of difference on price, I see now some of the 16660's go up a lot higher! Even still, there are plenty around the 9-10k mark on Chrono24, which seems to be where the 16600 is now. I don't really know much about the 16660 though, so perhaps there are the usual distinctions that make some valued more than others!
    Nice full set 16600's currently are around the £7.5k-£8k on SC although I think that will creep up over time, Chrono24 is another story as prices can be super inflated, real world sold prices are a lot different to C24!

The dial and hands on this one are really nice, patinated original,( as far as I know) a lot of the value in these is in the dial and hands, as I say, if a dealer or collector has the parts already, which is not inconceivable, then a quick transplant and its probably a 10k watch, even if its not quite there yet, it will be in a few years. Thats the thing with vintage Rolex, you can pay over the odds now and in a little while, the value will catch up. ( so far anyway )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    The dial and hands on this one are really nice, patinated original,( as far as I know) a lot of the value in these is in the dial and hands, as I say, if a dealer or collector has the parts already, which is not inconceivable, then a quick transplant and its probably a 10k watch, even if its not quite there yet, it will be in a few years. Thats the thing with vintage Rolex, you can pay over the odds now and in a little while, the value will catch up. ( so far anyway )
    I don’t think it’s a 10k watch with a service case given one with an original case 16660 (not 16600) is 8.9k as per my above post with nice patina (same WG surround tritium dial and tritium hands). This for me is a 7.5k watch max with the service case. Plenty of original examples out there.

Crazy money for that watch in my opinion.

If you want to see the real deal, check this out:

https://www.mjwatches.co.uk/vintage-...less-mk1-dial/

Vintage Rolex rarely gets any better than this, a watch to die for.

Journeyman
    Nice full set 16600's currently are around the £7.5k-£8k on SC although I think that will creep up over time, Chrono24 is another story as prices can be super inflated, real world sold prices are a lot different to C24!
    I slipped back into euros for those numbers by mistake! So around 15% higher than the £ price!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    It does have a lovely patina but the difference between this watch and a tritum 16600 is the 16600 has a better movement, essentially the guts of this watch could go into a 16600 case, yes the serial would be a mile out but it would also be out with a service case or a spare off the shelf, unless of course some dodgy laser welding/engraving is involved!