closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA - iPad Mini 5 / Gen 7 - £249 with any tablet trade in @ Curry’s

PSA - iPad Mini 5 / Gen 7 - £249 with any tablet trade in @ Curry’s

Picked this up on HUKD. Any old tablet lying around will do as long as it is not broken / cracked screen and works OK. Even a worthless old Amazon Fire will do. You have to supply charger and cable as well.

I’ve just traded in a worthless iPad gen 1 that barely had any battery function left and had been lying around in a drawer unused for 5 years (but fired up first time!) for a iPad mini 5.

The iPad mini 5 had a sale price of £349 (from £399), plus the £100 trade in made it £249.

Also works of the Gen 7, Air and Pro, but best saving is on the mini 5 and Gen 7.

Also £200 trade in on MacBook.

If you can buy Curry’s vouchers through work for a discount you’ll save even more. My work site was down it was happy to pay £249.

Thanks for that. I’ve a really old fully working fire tablet, if I can find the charger for it, it’ll be well worth trading in.

Worth knowing! Thanks.

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Thanks for that. I’ve a really old fully working fire tablet, if I can find the charger for it, it’ll be well worth trading in.
    I didn’t have the original charger for the iPad, so used an iPhone type one. This wasn’t questioned, so presumably you can use any charger lying around.

You need to complete the trade in in store. They checked over my old Gen 1 iPad just to make sure it functioned OK. Whole process of getting my new iPad mini 5 took a few minutes.

That’s great. Thanks for the heads up. Currently trading in an iPad 2 64GB that has been on the shelf for 2 years or more.

Master
    I’m in the market for an air if anyone would consider selling and not trading in

I didn’t need the charger. I left them with the cable and the original official cover. The chargers for the really old iPads were subject to an Apple recall so they shouldn’t need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    That’s great. Thanks for the heads up. Currently trading in an iPad 2 64GB that has been on the shelf for 2 years or more.
    What did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    What did you buy?
    64GB iPad Mini 5 Wifi for £249 for my wife. That’s amazing value considering the internals.

Trying to find the charger for an old Tesco Hudl as we speak

64GB iPad Mini 5 Wifi for £249 for my wife. That’s amazing value considering the internals.
    I agree. Better value than the 10.2” iPad for the same price.

I dropped my iPad 2017 and was living with a badly cracked screen for a couple of months. This deal was timed nicely for me.

I’ve never used a Mini before so will be interested to see what it’s like. With the same internals as the current Air, the Mini 5 is at a really sweet spot.

That’s amazing value considering the internals.
    For anyone not aware of how good the iPad Mini 5 is, I have a 1st gen iPad Pro 9.7" and an iPad Mini 5. In every area of specification (except maybe the speakers) the Mini is either equal or better. Same HDR screen, except it looks sharper on the mini because it's smaller. It's actually faster than even the 2nd generation of iPad Pros in compute benchmarks. The Mini is also marginally faster in all-round benchmarks than the 2019 iPad Air, because the Air has a bigger screen with slightly higher resolution (identical compute power; more pixels = more work = slower).

I have a mini 5 and it’s great. So light. Thanks for the tip. I have an iPad mini 4 16gb no longer being used and it made me look to see how much it was worth to trade in -£135
    Last edited by awright101; 30th August 2020 at 18:25.

Went to my local Currys store today.

No mini 5 in stock
    'Never mind sir, we will do the exchange on your old tablet and give you a gift card for £100 which you can use to buy the mini 5 online'

20 minutes later

'Sorry sir we seem to have an issue processing this and the helpline is permanently engaged, there is nothing I can do except suggest that you come back in few days'

(Ironically the bloke was wearing a 'Tech know how' polo shirt)

Total waste of time

Will try to get a Gen 7 tomorrow for my sons birthday. His current iPad is on its last legs

Thanks for the heads up

Craftsman
    I went to trade in an old Tesco Hudl 2 today. The Hudl was accepted, they had the iPad Mini 5 in stock but they couldn't issue the £100 gift card. The assistant was calling some number which didn't work. They said maybe tomorrow, they will call me or email me. Apparently the issue is nationwide. I find it absolutely appalling that they can't honour the deal they are posting on the website. Then high street retailers keep complaining they are losing business to Amazon. With a customer service like that it's not a big surprise.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using TZ-UK mobile app

Currys in poor service shocker!

Was gonna have a crack at this but 64GB isn't enough capacity for my BBC collection.

I had exactly the same issue today, I was kept waiting for nearly an hour while they tried to figure it out. So frustrating. I ended up paying £349 for the Mini 5 so I could take it home (they kept the trade in tablet) and was informed they will process the trade in tomorrow and issue my card with a £100 refund. Not ideal but better than having to go back to store!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it was a technical issue, it happens

If someone could post if and when they manage to get the trade in credit applied it would be much appreciated.
    It looks like a nationwide issue so if it is fixed somewhere it should be fixed everywhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Sounds like it was a technical issue, it happens
    And it’s how they react to that technical issue that counts. They should be issuing guidance from central office to the managers of each store how to honour this offer. Otherwise they will alienate more customers who will just go to Amazon next time

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    And it’s how they react to that technical issue that counts. They should be issuing guidance from central office to the managers of each store how to honour this offer. Otherwise they will alienate more customers who will just go to Amazon next time
    Are Amazon offering the same trade in deal?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    To sure I’d agree with that. In a ideal world maybe

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Are Amazon offering the same trade in deal?
    It’s not about the offer. This is about customer service. Why do you think they put these offers on?

Sh!t happens.
    They had a software issue on a Sunday on a Bank Holiday weekend.
    Their help desk staff are all probably still working from home and probably not at 100% given the state of retail businesses at the moment.
    I doubt any of the senior head office management are working this weekend.
    They will have a system in place to pull people in to address a tier one (or whatever nomenclature they use) incident which would be something that stops them from trading like an EPOS system failure or being unable to process card transactions.
    I doubt that being unable to support tablet trade-in would be escalated to that level.
    The person I spoke to yesterday advised trying again on Wednesday.
    His reasoning was probably that the worst case scenario was that no one would fix it until the full tech team were back at work on Tuesday and if it needed a server reboot that would be done overnight, so by Wednesday it would all be working OK.
    The last thing he would want to do was to add to my problem by telling me to come back today to find a fix wasn't in place.
    Good customer service is also about managing people's expectations
    Last edited by Kevin; 31st August 2020 at 11:06.

Hello

I've dug out a Blackberry Playbook, a nice tablet when i used it a long long time ago.

No plug but i have a lead to charge it. Hopefully they'll accept it.

Best,

Ben

Craftsman
    On another forum some people say the system is working. May go and try again soon. If it doesn't work, I won't set foot in a Currys store for some time, and I have dropped a fair bit of money with them over the years.

I really don't understand why people are quick to defend Currys. It's pretty simple, if you have an eligible tablet and cash, and if they have an iPad to sell, then they should honour the deal. No BS about IT systems, also this happens just before the deal expires. If there is an IT issue, then process it manually, don't piss off customers by wasting their time and telling them, tomorrow or Wednesday etc. Especially that the deal ends today.

Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    On another forum some people say the system is working. May go and try again soon. If it doesn't work, I won't set foot in a Currys store for some time, and I have dropped a fair bit of money with them over the years.

I really don't understand why people are quick to defend Currys. It's pretty simple, if you have an eligible tablet and cash, and if they have an iPad to sell, then they should honour the deal. No BS about IT systems, also this happens just before the deal expires. If there is an IT issue, then process it manually, don't piss off customers by wasting their time and telling them, tomorrow or Wednesday etc. Especially that the deal ends today.

The deal doesn't end today

Just walked up to my local Currys, traded in my old stuck on IOS 9.3 iPad3 for £100 off a 64gb iPad Air. No space grey in store, but will have one for me tomorrow.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    System is working, they processed the trade-in quickly but the iPad Mini 5 which was supposedly reserved for me was sold. So they ordered online and I am picking it up tomorrow

Just traded a very old iPad Mini for £100 off the base level iPad. Bargain for £249. They don’t need the charger or cable for iPads...just for laptop trade ins.

System definitely working here today. Traded in our very old Motorola Xoom and £100 off an iPad Mini 5 64Gig. Didn't have one in stock but will have one in for us by 5pm tomorrow.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

System is working, they processed the trade-in quickly but the iPad Mini 5 which was supposedly reserved for me was sold. So they ordered online and I am picking it up tomorrow
    Same here, thanks for confirming it is all now working

The iPad Mini 5 I ordered on Saturday was delivered to the shop a day early today so I collected it and have spent an hour or so setting it up. The form factor is great. I can hold it in two hands and thumb type easily. My wife is very happy with it. She always found normal iPads too large for her.

Many thanks for posting this. Just traded an old Gen 2 ipad gathering dust, for a nice shiny new iPad cen 7. Wife is well pleased.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Hmm, I have the kids' old Kindle Fire 7s just sitting in the garage...

Craftsman
    The deal ended this morning apparently.

The deal ended this morning apparently.

Yes, I thought it would be over after the bank holiday. There was no way they were going to continue a deal where you could trade in a sub-£100 tablet for a guaranteed £100. I suspect it was a loss-making offer so they could get footfall in the store and turn over some stock. Whilst I was in the queue for mine, there were a few others doing exactly the same.

You didn't even need to be purchasing something at the same time...just bring in an old tablet bought from ebay for £20 and receive a £100 gift card from Currys.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Yes, I thought it would be over after the bank holiday. There was no way they were going to continue a deal where you could trade in a sub-£100 tablet for a guaranteed £100. I suspect it was a loss-making offer so they could get footfall in the store and turn over some stock. Whilst I was in the queue for mine, there were a few others doing exactly the same.

You didn't even need to be purchasing something at the same time...just bring in an old tablet bought from ebay for £20 and receive a £100 gift card from Currys.
    New iPads come out in the autumn so this will be one reason for the deal. I’m usually in the States in August and have always found bigger discounts than usual in August for that very reason.

Given the usual measly discounts on Apple products in the U.K., this was a very good deal, and I’m sure they sold thousands of devices at the discounted price.