closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Baltic Watch, Smiths PRS and Zelos have something in common

Baltic Watch, Smiths PRS and Zelos have something in common

Baltic Watch, Smiths PRS or Zelos? Which Wrist Watch Microbrand Can Be Major?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeqLzaKjVt4

"Baltic Watch, Smiths PRS and Zelos have something in common: They are microbrands with a limited audience. But it doesn't have to stay that way. What are the ingredients of a major watch brand like Rolex, Longines or Patek Philippe?"

This dropped yesterday but as Smiths did not win...

What does he know?

I am going to start telling him off about the way he physically handles the watches he reviews.

Journeyman
    Bummer Smith's didn't make, my money was on Smith tho I don't owned any smith watch yet....

Smiths could have been mainstream by now if I hadn't rejected a 7 figure offer from a well-known watch company last year.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Smiths could have been mainstream by now if I hadn't rejected a 7 figure offer from a well-known watch company last year.

Eddie
    Very very glad you didn't!! It's chaps like you that keep the quality, ethos and passion alive. Such a company would destroy what you've built-up in an instant.

TZ-UK mobile app

Baltic Watch, Smiths PRS and Zelos have something in common

Quote Originally Posted by fm.tz View Post
    Very very glad you didn't!! It's chaps like you that keep the quality, ethos and passion alive. Such a company would destroy what you've built-up in an instant.

TZ-UK mobile app
    +1 to that - you keep doing what you are doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheGent; 30th August 2020 at 04:38.

Eddie
    And that's all I needed to hear. Thank you, Eddie.

Master

Eddie

Also very glad you didn't sell TF, Eddie. I don't know if you'll ever again make the kind of watches I most want to buy, which would be something like a "real" Mark 11 or '56 Smiths Deluxe GS 6B/542 (screw-down crystals, etc., and all) or a "real" Jenny Caribbean (front-loading monobloc cases, etc., and all), perhaps just because the demand isn't there with most watch buyers seeming to be concerned only with how a "homage" superficially looks and not with the comprehensively done technological excellence that made such watches heavily sought after icons in the first place.

But you did surely make several watches in the past I still search out, and particularly one which was a truly committed recreation of the original but with very well and discreetly chosen subtle upgrades incorporated like improved WR that made your own take on the icon the better watch and one which I think, were it available to them at the time, the British MOD itself would have very likely preferred over the original as yours would have better met the specifications they had set for the contract and it would have done so with no technologically deleterious compromises derived solely from concession to the demands of the broader modern mass market involved.

I don't think any of the existing major watch companies are ever going to do anything near that so sincerely thanks for your superlatively done past projects targeting the focused niche market I happen to be part of, and if anybody in the entire industry is ever going to even consider making more technologically comprehensive "real" recreations of the very best of the ultra classic British military issue and other tool watch icons of the past like the ones I hope for, I think it will be you or somebody very like you so thanks on that as well