closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France starts today

Blog Entries

Tour de France starts today

An odd thing to write late August. But yes, it starts today!

For us, Dutch, Jumbo Visma with Roglic and Tom Dumoulin are very important.

A few details: Jumbo = Holland's second largest supermarket chain, privately owned by entrepeneur Frits van Eerd. Jumbo also sponsors a speed skating team and Max Verstappen (Van Eerd is fanatic auto-sport enthousiast and raced at Le Mans in the LMP2 class).

Visma is a Norwegian IT consultancy company. Pretty big overhere when it comes to accountancy software for small businesses.

M

Master
    Can be watched live throughout on ITV4 too.

scooter

Master
    Won't be the same without Froomey

no-one to love/hate.... depending on your feelings

Pity

Craftsman
    Tour de France and Spanish Grand Prix looks like a good weekend.

Master
    Roglic to win

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    An odd thing to write late August. But yes, it starts today!

For us, Dutch, Jumbo Visma with Roglic and Tom Dumoulin are very important.

A few details: Jumbo = Holland's second largest supermarket chain, privately owned by entrepeneur Frits van Eerd. Jumbo also sponsors a speed skating team and Max Verstappen (Van Eerd is fanatic auto-sport enthousiast and raced at Le Mans in the LMP2 class).

Visma is a Norwegian IT consultancy company. Pretty big overhere when it comes to accountancy software for small businesses.

M
    I'm sat here waiting for the coverage to start...

Here's for a safe non-controversial tour...

Any announcement of a positive test will have very different connotations this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Any announcement of a positive test will have very different connotations this year!

Sagan and Pogacar to end up top points and best young rider double bet is on...

Should be a fascinating tour this year with the ever present threat that the race could be called off at short notice. Holding back to take the yellow when it suits the strategy of a three week race is out the window and every day counts.

Good to see Chris Boardman back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Good to see Chris Boardman back.
    Hope he wins the ITT, but can’t see it at his age!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Odd tour this year.

Not much British interest.

Bring back Cav, Wiggo and G.

Blog Entries
    Slippery stage! Everybody is very careful when going downhill. One bad move and your 2020 Tour is over!

Menno

Master
    Some crazy weather conditions & some early favourites crashing out, lots of rash.

Grand Master
    Froome is the Queen of Crashing so he will watching thinking thank f**k I wasn’t in that circus today.

More interesting is despite all the raving about disc brakes there were so many problems today with them failing, post crash they had rotor problems, slow to swop out and built up road debris causing friction.

As was mentioned so many times once you lock a wheel you lock it, there isn’t anymore stopping power
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 29th August 2020 at 20:40.
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t understand the comments about disks. They are far superior in my experience.

Master
    What a mad stage. If you were an injured rider, would you want to go to the local hospital (Nice is in a red COVID zone), or would you ask your team doctor to patch you up.
    Don’t forget, if 2 team members get COVID-19 (including support staff), then the whole team is out.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I don’t understand the comments about disks. They are far superior in my experience.
    Anyone who doesn't like disk brakes fancy moving back to drum brakes on their car?
    I have disk brakes on my cars and motorbike. Over time I've moved from calipers to V brakes to disk brakes on mountain bike and when I change my road bike it will have disks.

(I am not a TdF contender)

Grand Master

It was commented on by professionals throughout the commentary. They have been around for years but when they go wrong or you clip or drop a bike and bend a rotor it could be game over so as pros go it may not be worth the risk.

Conventional rim saves you alot of hassle and trips to the bike shop. Yes they provide more modulated stopping but better as a package? Debatable. Good for the bike trade? 100%.

https://road.cc/content/feature/8-re...-brakes-256225
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 29th August 2020 at 21:27.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    What a mad stage. If you were an injured rider, would you want to go to the local hospital (Nice is in a red COVID zone), or would you ask your team doctor to patch you up.
    Don’t forget, if 2 team members get COVID-19 (including support staff), then the whole team is out.

Pete
    As I understand things it's 2 positive tests in 7 days but only amongst the riders, and even then there will be a second test to verify the result.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    It hadn't rained in weeks, so oil etc was all over the place. According to Dutch news-sites riders refused to ride and had neutralized the race for that reason. Astana's attempt (and Angel Lopez accident within seconds after the 'demarrage' told the whole story, I think.

M

I wonder who the Frensh public will spit at and call a cheat without Froome this year.

If Egan wins a couple more times i suspect he will be next to face the wrath of the moron public.

Sorry this is a bit of a wind up post, i just hate that minority in the crowd who do things ten times more disgusting than what they are accusing someone of.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    It was commented on by professionals throughout the commentary. They have been around for years but when they go wrong or you clip or drop a bike and bend a rotor it could be game over so as pros go it may not be worth the risk.

Conventional rim saves you alot of hassle and trips to the bike shop. Yes they provide more modulated stopping but better as a package? Debatable. Good for the bike trade? 100%.

https://road.cc/content/feature/8-re...-brakes-256225
    All the points on that link are debatable. I’d never go back to rims.

The wheel change speed is an issue so they now default to a bike change. Not an issue for me as I don’t have a team car following me. Modulation and stopping power in the wet are far superior, especially with carbon rims.

Anyway, bit of a side topic. Bike industry need to keep turning kit over. Rim brakes are gradually disappearing.

I’ve done about 30,000 miles on my disk equipped Canyon and I’ve never had a problem or taken it to the bike shop. I put new pads in once a year, quicker than changing rim pads.
    Last edited by Montello; 29th August 2020 at 22:38.

Grand Master
    All the points on that link are debatable. I’d never go back to rims

I’ve done about 30,000 miles on my disk equipped Canyon and I’ve never had a problem or taken it to the bike shop. I put new pads in once a year, quicker than changing rim pads.
    By the same measure I have probably done around 100,000 or more over the years on rims and never had a problem. Ill ride disc on a road bike but don’t have any desire to follow this trend

This would be a fun bet, less the pressure from sponsors

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...our-de-france/
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Phillipe Gilbert is out. He has broken his kneecap when fell.

M

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    As I understand things it's 2 positive tests in 7 days but only amongst the riders, and even then there will be a second test to verify the result.
    No, it’s the whole team. Was explained in the introductory coverage that the initial relaxation was overruled by French authorities a few hours before the start.

Master
    Blog Entries
    By the same measure I have probably done around 100,000 or more over the years on rims and never had a problem. Ill ride disc on a road bike but don’t have any desire to follow this trend

This would be a fun bet, less the pressure from sponsors

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...our-de-france/
    I’ve done considerably more on rims but only because there was no choice. What is right for tour teams doesn’t have much baring on what is right for me but I know many like to try an be pro. I see no logical argument for rim brakes for the amateur rider.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post

Here's for a safe non-controversial tour...
    Well, that´s gone; it was already quite controversial during the first stage with the no-racing pact.

The Covid19 virus is sure to add to further controversies as the stages progress.

Master
    I'm not religious about them but here's why I'm still on rim brakes:

I have two bikes and many sets of wheels and I like to be able to swap between bikes.

I've never really felt under braked, as it were

I like to be able to fix things cheaply and easily, and rim brakes are simpler in this regard. I'm talking about the problems people have in bleeding them and getting rid of noise, though equally I appreciate many have no issues at all in this area.

I don't destroy rims, they last me years.

I'm out in conditions where discs are clearly better maybe 4 or 5 times a year.

Sorry for the thread derail.

Blog Entries
    I went from Magura rim brakes to Magura disk brakes. (Well, ring brakes is perhaps a better word for them). At first, I was unimpressed by those new brakes compared with my old bike's rim brakes. Now, just under 2K kms later, I'm fully 'adjusted' to them. They work fine, even when stopping from high speed.

Back on topic: Robert Geesink (Jumbo Visma) talked about "UCI has failed on this one!" Stating that after what's happened the last few weeks, UCI jury members should have stepped up, neutralising yesterday's race. UCI neutralised the race 3 kms for the finish, seconds before the final 'chutes' happened. According to Geesink: "Too little, too late. What's the point when everybody gets hurt in the first etappe?"

During the race, Flemish TV commentators (always the 'go-to' TV station for professional cycling comments - all are ex profs) were furious about the UCI's laxity.

M.

Tip: make sure you watch the Le Teil - Mont Aigoual stage on Thursday. Mont A. is very infamous for its overdose of really, really bad weather. May I suggest you read the novel The Rider from Dutch writer Tim Krabbé (journalist and former cycling prof) about this hellish climb.

At the start of the 137-kilometre Tour de Mont Aigoual, Tim Krabbe glances up from his bike to assess the crowd of spectators. 'Non-racers,' he writes. 'The emptiness of those lives shocks me.' Immediate and gripping from the first page, we race with the author as he struggles up the hills and clings on during descents in the unforgiving French mountains. Originally published in 1978, The Rider is a modern-day classic that is recognised as one of the best books ever written about the sport. Brilliantly conceived and best read at a break-neck pace, it is a loving, imaginative and passionate tribute to the art of cycle racing.
    Last edited by thieuster; 30th August 2020 at 11:10.

Master
    Great book. About time I read it again.

Blog Entries
    Sporza (Flemish TV) confirms that La Plange des Belles Filles (France) will host the upcoming World Championship instead of the world championship in Switzerland.

Menno

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Sporza (Flemish TV) confirms that La Plange des Belles Filles (France) will host the upcoming World Championship instead of the world championship in Switzerland.

Menno
    That would be fun, great climb for TV that one. Think that region is Thibaut Pinot’s home roads, would love to see him win the rainbow jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice win by Alaphilippe. Wearing a Richard Mille ...😳

Blog Entries
    Nice win by Alaphilippe. Wearing a Richard Mille ...
    I couldn't believe it when I saw this... Me wearing an el cheapo Seiko when cycling "Because when I fall of my bike..."

M

Grand Master
    Nice win by Alaphilippe. Wearing a Richard Mille ...😳
    They have to promote their offering somehow. Makes the mugs buy them
    RIAC

I’ve done every crash possible on my mountain bikes and never bent a disc yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a Yank I don't keep up much with the Tour in the post-Lance era, although I had it on the TV as I was getting cleaned up this morning. I thought I heard one announcer mention a "she" rider. That's surely not right, is it? I can't imagine at this level...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Risky given the amount of crashes. Cav used to ride with one also.

Craftsman
    Mille sponsor the Bahrain McLaren team so most of them wear one as well.

I'm watching the highlights of yesterday's stage. Seriously impressed by their descent of the Col de Turini...and the TV pictures were good too.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    As a Yank I don't keep up much with the Tour in the post-Lance era, although I had it on the TV as I was getting cleaned up this morning. I thought I heard one announcer mention a "she" rider. That's surely not right, is it? I can't imagine at this level...
    Marc Hirschi...pronounced as 'hear-she'?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Marc Hirschi...pronounced as 'hear-she'?
    Thanks, that must be it!

Blog Entries
    Le Teil - Mont Aigoual today. The final 34 kms are uphill, parts are very steep. More than 1 in 10 for 6 kms

I'm surprised to see you make such a comment, given that you are in the business of selling watches, you do sell Richard Mille, and these "mugs" are your customers?! But maybe you're being deliberately facetious.

Risky given the amount of crashes. Cav used to ride with one also.
    I believe the first time, he was given Richard Mille’s personal Felipe Massa watch to wear during the stage. When he asked where to return it Richard told him it was a present to keep!

It’s a shame he isn’t racing in the tour. His old man is a neighbour.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I'm surprised to see you make such a comment, given that you are in the business of selling watches, you do sell Richard Mille, and these "mugs" are your customers?! But maybe you're being deliberately facetious.
    Perhaps im just being honest rather than hype.

Thier watches are hideously overpriced and when they go wrong you say farewell to them for 6-9 months minimum.

Divided opinion on them but when you get to that price point its a little obscene to receive such poor quality and service. Personally I would feel ‘mugged’ off.

Applogies for being honest but at that RRP you might not get the quality of product and service appropriate.

And for the record I am in the business of helping people.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I'm not religious about them but here's why I'm still on rim brakes:

I have two bikes and many sets of wheels and I like to be able to swap between bikes.

I've never really felt under braked, as it were

I like to be able to fix things cheaply and easily, and rim brakes are simpler in this regard. I'm talking about the problems people have in bleeding them and getting rid of noise, though equally I appreciate many have no issues at all in this area.

I don't destroy rims, they last me years.

I'm out in conditions where discs are clearly better maybe 4 or 5 times a year.

Sorry for the thread derail.

In Wednesday’s coverage an Ineos rider punctured , and the comment from David Millar was “look how fast they can do a rear wheel swap with cantilevered brakes” . I then noticed the 2020 Dogmas are canti’s.

I have disks on my gravel and mtb and cantis on my road bike. I don’t find either Faster or slower to change. Maybe they are using through axles on some of the disk bikes, that would slow things down compared to a quick release.

Master
    I think that was the comparison he was making, yes. Earlier on - or perhaps a previous stage - there was footage of a rider having a disk brake wheel change. It involved a special tool to undo the thru axle and it took rather longer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Even if changing a wheel with disc takes a few seconds later, that is more than compensated for by the vastly superior modulation. To illustrate the sillyness of most arguments, that is ESPECIALLY!!! in the rain. Oh and ditto the weight argument; the bikes are éasily under the minumum weight if needed, discs or no discs.

It surprises me that the broken frame yesterday has not unleashed a storm of carbon bashing in favor of metal frames...