closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding tolerances

Speeding tolerances

Afternoon all. Does anyone know if there is a set tolerance at which point speed cameras will action? I've heard it is 10% plus 4mph so you could do 81mph before a speed camera would activate on a motorway but I also heard about colleagues in Manchester getting done for 36mph in a 30 so would be good to see if anyone has a clearer picture?

It's different in different places.

My copper friend operated a speed trap, his force send tickets when you go 10mph over.

What speed were you going? Are you measuring the speed by the read out on the car on or an satnav app like Waze? There is a few mph difference.

If it’s 30 I tend to do 30, like wise if it’s 70 I tend to do 70...I do seem to be in a minority though!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What speed were you going? Are you measuring the speed by the read out on the car on or an satnav app like Waze? There is a few mph difference.
    It's not me it's just I noticed people going through speed cameras at least 80mph. I've only once been ticketed and that was doing 54mph in a 40zone 4 years ago. Lesson learned.

Master
    My father used to work for Hampshire police about 10 years ago and I believe he spoke of 10% + 1 at the time. Personally I'm quite content (and have never had issue with) floating through a motorway camera at 74/75, but I don't push my luck at 30 or 40.

I don't know, but my thinking was also 10% plus a margin - the 36mph doesn't surprise me. I'm not as cautious as sticking to 30/70/etc, as speedo is prudent, I tend to do +4-5mph.

Ryan, you thinking you got caught on your drive back from Scotland (when you weren't on cruise control)? Ignore that, saw your post above.

P.S. Note, contrary to my +4-5mph point, I do tend to stick to 20mph in a 20mph zone.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 28th August 2020 at 14:40.

Craftsman
    Not sure how old this article is (it's dated June this year but some of the comments are much older) but most seem to be 10% + 2mph: https://www.confused.com/on-the-road...era-tolerances

The old ACPO (when it existed) guidelines were 10% + 2mph. But they were only guidelines and it was up to each police force to determine how much latitude - if any - to give. It was rumoured anecdotally that most police forces wouldn't enforce below 85mph on motorways unless there were additional issues (e.g. tailgating, excessive lane changing) involved.

Don't forget that all car speedos over-read the speed, by up to 10%. So in a 70mph zone, and applying the ACPO guidleines, you'd probably be OK up to a real 79mph, which might read anything up to around 87mph on your speedo. Then again, you might encounter the cop who's enforcing at 71mph that day...
    Last edited by PhilipK; 28th August 2020 at 15:08. Reason: Bad maths!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some speed cameras aren't on. I think 10% plus 2.

I got caught doing 36 in a 30 by a speed can at the side of the roads.

A young lady I used to work with got 'done' for doing 31 in a 30 mph zone.

We didn't believe her at first until she brought the summons in to show us.

I also seem to remember the Chief Constable of Nottingham saying he wanted to impose a no tolerance regime on the M1 through Nottinghamshire some time back. IIRC it was simply to 'raise funds'.

Oh, and if the overhead gantries on motorways are not lit up don't think that the speed cameras in them are turned off - I've seen several 'speeding' motorists set them off even though they were not showing any restrictions.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I've been "done" twice in the last decade, one was 10 years ago in Warrington doing 34mph in a 30mph zone, and one was in Maidenhead about 3 years ago doing 31mph in a 30mph zone - both were were manned, mobile traps sited close to speed-transitions from 40mph to 30mph, and both were part of "make-an-example-of-people" type high-profile campaigns - so the tight margins are probably not typical. Normally I allow +3-4mph over limits to account for speedos showing higher-than-actual speeds plus the margins most fixed cameras have.

10% plus 2mph which I would suggest is verified by my recent attendance at a speed awareness course when caught doing 47mph in a 40 zone....

Speeding tolerances

I know someone who works in the speeding fine office, the point of getting a summons does change as does what cameras are on or off, pretty sure at the moment the 30 zones are not having much leniency like other speed limits and the office is extremely busy everyday..

And no, they can’t accidentally drop a summons in the shredder!

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    And no, they can’t accidentally drop a summons in the shredder!
    It was worth a try though.
    No harm in asking!

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road...era-tolerances

I heard rumours that the newer ones that sit by the side of the smart motorways have very tight tolerances. Not sure how true this is.

I noticed down in Dorset the other week that lots of old GATSO cameras that had stood mostly empty for years had all been upgraded to newer cameras.

My mother got sent on a speed awareness course by the local police because she was pulled up for doing 40mph on a country road where the speed limit was 60mph. She said she had turned onto the road and was only doing a very short section of the road before turning off so she didn't want to have to speed up to the maximum. Copper still issued a NiP and made her do a speed awareness course where they lectured her on the evils of driving too fast.

About 15 years ago, I was going on holiday with a mate whose Dad was a police officer. He drove us to the airport at about 100mph all the way. I asked him if he was worried about being caught speeding and he said it wouldn't be a problem if caught as he knew most of the forces road traffic department and it wouldn't be a problem if stopped.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    About 15 years ago, I was going on holiday with a mate whose Dad was a police officer. He drove us to the airport at about 100mph all the way. I asked him if he was worried about being caught speeding and he said it wouldn't be a problem if caught as he knew most of the forces road traffic department and it wouldn't be a problem if stopped.
    So funny.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    I always reckon 10% is pretty safe. 33, 44, 55, 77 for example on the speedo. Given most speedos deliberately read over (check with a sat nav on your phone that gives a speed readout like NavMii) and with the allowance over built in the camera it seems to work.
    Unless you're on the way to work passing the same camera every day and one day simply forget to check your speed......don't ask.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 29th August 2020 at 00:30.

10% + 2 mph in most places i think but i would not like to try it on myself because a car speedomiter can be out by a little bit anyway so leave plenty of room

Master
    I came off the port way in Bristol (50 straight to 20 mph) and there was a speed camera van. I was pretty sure I was doing 20 but I stopped and checked. He hadn’t set up yet but said it wasn’t going to get anyone under 30.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought the same and regularly test the limit but earlier this year got a ticket at 56mph on the Dartford river crossing, its a 50mph limit. I was pretty annoyed but paid it up and took the 3 points.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I always reckon 10% is pretty safe. 33, 44, 55, 77 for example on the speedo. Given most speedos deliberately read under (check with a sat nav on your phone that gives a speed readout like NavMii) and with the allowance over built in the camera it seems to work.
    Unless you're on the way to work passing the same camera every day and one day simply forget to check your speed......don't ask.
    No, they're not allowed to under-read and if anything, over read though nowadays are pretty accurate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    I thought the same and regularly test the limit but earlier this year got a ticket at 56mph on the Dartford river crossing, its a 50mph limit. I was pretty annoyed but paid it up and took the 3 points.
    Interesting, as I go over the bridge and through the tunnel reasonably often, and was that because your average speed was 56mph or was it a single point speeding camera? I always wondered about how religiously the 50mph average speed limit is enforced as there's always vehicles that must average way more than 50mph.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It was over the bridge, i think they are average speed cameras. They are over the gantries just go onto bridge and as you come off.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    https://www.confused.com/on-the-road...era-tolerances

I heard rumours that the newer ones that sit by the side of the smart motorways have very tight tolerances. Not sure how true this is.

I noticed down in Dorset the other week that lots of old GATSO cameras that had stood mostly empty for years had all been upgraded to newer cameras.

My mother got sent on a speed awareness course by the local police because she was pulled up for doing 40mph on a country road where the speed limit was 60mph. She said she had turned onto the road and was only doing a very short section of the road before turning off so she didn't want to have to speed up to the maximum. Copper still issued a NiP and made her do a speed awareness course where they lectured her on the evils of driving too fast.
    If she was doing 40mph in a de restricted 60mph she would not have gotten a speed awareness course. Unless they deemed that she was driving dangerously by only doing 40mph. Do you mean 60mph in a 40mph?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got a ticket doing 56 in a 50 it was a gantry Camera on the M42

LOL at these marginal tickets - my three (in 30 years) iirc were 92 in a 60, 87 in a 50 and 94 in a 70. Might as well do it properly!

Yesterday did Aberdeen to Glasgow and back and had the cruise at 73... average speed cameras over half the distance, meh.

Craftsman
    Was done for 77 on the M74 northbound in Dumfries and Galloway, mobile unit on a bridge.
    They are shits done that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    If she was doing 40mph in a de restricted 60mph she would not have gotten a speed awareness course. Unless they deemed that she was driving dangerously by only doing 40mph. Do you mean 60mph in a 40mph?
    Nope, the copper deemed 40mph was too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Was done for 77 on the M74 northbound in Dumfries and Galloway, mobile unit on a bridge.
    They are shits done that way!
    That’s where I got my 94 in a 70, going south near Lockerbie... did some homework and found it was the biggest ‘catch’ area in Scotland!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    That’s where I got my 94 in a 70, going south near Lockerbie... did some homework and found it was the biggest ‘catch’ area in Scotland!
    Should have done a 'Swedish Lotus Carlton' run!.

Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 28th August 2020 at 22:11.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Why take the chance of an endorsement, 3 points and all the career limiting and insurance problems that come with it. A few extra MPH hardly gets you anywhere any quicker and it seems a lot of risk for a very low return.

An old colleague of mine got banned for 12 months and it turned his life upside down. We cannot live without a car now a days and losing your licence for going over the limit seems a bit daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Should have done a 'Swedish Lotus Carlton' run!.
    Can’t outrun the camera!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Can’t outrun the camera!
    What a buzz though!.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    Interesting, as I go over the bridge and through the tunnel reasonably often, and was that because your average speed was 56mph or was it a single point speeding camera? I always wondered about how religiously the 50mph average speed limit is enforced as there's always vehicles that must average way more than 50mph.
    I never come off the limiter on the wagon which is 90kph at any time though a 50mph average speed section. But occasionally get held up by cars doing 45 mph just incase they get done.

What is noticeable is the amount of times you see cars being flashed at night under the gantries on the M1 in national speed limit sections, it’s certainly a lot more than last year.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Why take the chance of an endorsement, 3 points and all the career limiting and insurance problems that come with it. A few extra MPH hardly gets you anywhere any quicker and it seems a lot of risk for a very low return.

An old colleague of mine got banned for 12 months and it turned his life upside down. We cannot live without a car now a days and losing your licence for going over the limit seems a bit daft.
    Unless you drive like an absolute tit how do you get banned for 12 months?

And 3 points on the licence has about £5 per annum worth of effect on insurance.

I’ve been caught twice - once in Suffolk where a dual carriageway suddenly went from 60 to 30 round a pretty shallow bend and I missed the tiny 30 sign, and once over the Dartford Bridge when I had no idea it was 50. I was doing 58 and got a speed awareness course.

Both lessons were learned and I now make sure I observe signage.

Sometimes they don’t make it easy though with 4 different limits on a 20 mile stretch of seemingly open road so you spend more time looking at the speedo/sat nav than the road in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    What a buzz though!.
    Yeah, so cool. Are you 13 years old or something?

On a track, fine. On a public road packed with other vehicles? Idiot!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Unless you drive like an absolute tit how do you get banned for 12 months?

And 3 points on the licence has about £5 per annum worth of effect on insurance.

I’ve been caught twice - once in Suffolk where a dual carriageway suddenly went from 60 to 30 round a pretty shallow bend and I missed the tiny 30 sign, and once over the Dartford Bridge when I had no idea it was 50. I was doing 58 and got a speed awareness course.

Both lessons were learned and I now make sure I observe signage.

Sometimes they don’t make it easy though with 4 different limits on a 20 mile stretch of seemingly open road so you spend more time looking at the speedo/sat nav than the road in front.
    He got done for a combination of speeding and going through red lights, all within 6 months.

I am no angel, I got stopped seven times going over 80 on the M5 and M6 and was pulled over by coppers in a car. I managed to talk my way out of it, so never got done.

I decided about 20 years ago to keep to the limit and for the first 3 months it did my head in but now it is second nature.

I just think that going over by just 1 mph is not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I never come off the limiter on the wagon which is 90kph at any time though a 50mph average speed section...

90 kmph is a shade off 56 mph though.

The disregard for the law is pretty strong in this thread. Breaking the law is breaking the law. Next time there’s a thread about sneaking in a watch through customs at the end of a holiday or supporting criminal activity by owning a fake watch I hope none of you criticise.

Master
    Threads like these do attract some holier than thou arseholes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No, they're not allowed to under-read and if anything, over read though nowadays are pretty accurate.
    Doh that was what I meant, should have said they usually read over! Edited now thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

For once I agree with Mick. Before I retired I was driving about 20 miles each way to the office and back. The Evoque I had at the time recorded journeys on an app and I decided to see what difference trying to drive quicker made. This was on a mixture of dual carriageway A roads and single track A roads. The difference in journey time was hardly noticeable.

Master
    Nope, the copper deemed 40mph was too slow.
    No points though, just the speed awareness course? It can be just as dangerous/inconsiderate to drive to slow.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Doh that was what I meant, should have said they usually read over! Edited now thanks.
    I once had a Harley Davidson that under read by about 10%.

As I'd always assumed that it would over read by 10%, and that there would be a 10%+2 leeway on speeding.

I'd allow myself 68 in a 60 and expected that at 68 the speedo would be reading 74. Of course as the speedo was under reading rather than over reading, when it was showing 74 I was actually doing 82 not 68.

Oops

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I once had a Harley Davidson that under read by about 10%.

As I'd always assumed that it would over read by 10%, and that there would be a 10%+2 leeway on speeding.

I'd allow myself 68 in a 60 and expected that at 68 the speedo would be reading 74. Of course as the speedo was under reading rather than over reading, when it was showing 74 I was actually doing 82 not 68.

Oops
    My Harley definitely read over, at 60 it was about 56 when I checked it with the sat nav. Still miss the bike, but not the weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Threads like these do attract some holier than thou arseholes
    If that is aimed at me, then you need to realise this is not the Bear Pit. Secondly, I’m not being “holier than thou”, I’m commenting on double standards when it comes to speeding versus the two heinous “watch crimes” of TZ.

Busting into a conversation just to call someone an a-hole is pretty crass and I'm pretty sure Eddie says is not the done thing in G&D.
    Last edited by Christian; 29th August 2020 at 11:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Yeah, so cool. Are you 13 years old or something?

On a track, fine. On a public road packed with other vehicles? Idiot!
    FWIW, I posted the video (particularly for David's appreciaton as he has previously owned the car on it). The response was what I expected, but light hearted - which I followed up on (again, tongue in cheek). If this confused you due to the lack of emoji's etc. then fair enough - 13 and an idiot?

I'll leave this (and I suggest you do the same).