closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Ward New C65 Super Compressor

Funny everyone's worried about the slightly misplaced text, but only W&W have so far commented that the bracelet endlinks are a lousy match to the case - now that I could not live with!

Craftsman
    Now it's been mentioned, the 'Super Compressor' text is miles off-centre, and the end links on the bracelet are a horrible match! Attention to detail obviously not good.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think the writing is well centered. It is an illusion created by shaded indices.

Christopher Ward New C65 Super Compressor

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think the writing is well centered. It is an illusion created by shaded indices.
    In the renders ‘Super Compressor’ definitely doesn’t look centred to me. The distance between the ‘S’ and bezel edge is less than the distance between the ‘R’ and bezel edge, indicating its slightly left aligned from centre.

Small detail that may bother some and not bother others at all. Also as I’ve said, the production models could be fine.

Ps. I’m in the really like the watch camp.

Just out of curiosity I have contacted CW to see what they say about the letter spacing and whether it is just an illusion - be interested if/ what they come back with

I prefer this over the Farer but I’m another than would find the letter spacing off putting

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Just out of curiosity I have contacted CW to see what they say about the letter spacing and whether it is just an illusion - be interested if/ what they come back with

I prefer this over the Farer but I’m another than would find the letter spacing off putting
    It’s nicer looking than the farer I think, but I almost think the farer may be a better watch to live with long term, not owners one but from what I gather it’s extremely well built

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post

Looks one letter out to me.....

Yeah about right, not that far out but enough for my eyes. Strange thing to happen regardless.

That could become a little irritating

Master
    Hmmm, I now think you are right! 'Super Compressor' has 16 letters including the space, so the mid point ought to be between the O and M of compressor, but it seems to be on the right side of the M, almost at the P. How odd!

Craftsman
    This is photo from W&W review with superimposed diagonals which show the text too far to the left

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That’s not the style of watch though, that’s just the sloppy nature of cw churning new watches out every 2 minutes that we have come to know and love, the super compressor style is excellent

Interestingly I popped over to the CW forum to see what they were saying about this watch and came across this:

https://www.christopherwardforum.com...hp?f=1&t=54458

On the text alignment, it looks like the CW and metres text is centred, the SC text block is left aligned to the CW text, hence creating a gap on the right hand side with this text.

otherwise, a cracking watch.

Strangely drawn to the blue with orange strap.....anyone will to donate their voucher?

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Strangely drawn to the blue with orange strap.....anyone will to donate their voucher?
    I usually get one so if I do I'll pm you(might even be one downstairs, I'll check when I get up). I think they're just generic codes though so probably a bit of googling you'll find one.

Just use code 100LOUPE18
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Interestingly I popped over to the CW forum to see what they were saying about this watch and came across this:

https://www.christopherwardforum.com...hp?f=1&t=54458
    Like the comment early on “whatever you do don’t buy a Seiko diver” :-)

Scottie

Craftsman
    Interesting point in the review about the bezel not being a screw down crown. Could this explain why the water resistance is only 150m?

I have owned several CW watches in the past and kept none, they really should be a brand that is leaving others in the dust but there is always a little something that lets them down in this case the text on the dial. Everything else on the watch is pretty much a home run, the actual dial looks excellent and the spec is likewise. Bracelet doesnt really bother me I have only had one previous CW watch on a bracelet and found the bracelets to be pretty poor but can only assume with the quick change bracelets there is some improvements that have been made. Either way, I would probably not leave it long on a bracelet anyway.

Price wise the Farer is the same price but on a rubber strap (All be it Titanium case and a regulated movement) I dont see any possible discounts on the Farer although I think Jura (Who seem to regularly have discounts) stock them. Would like to hear opinions of anyone who has the Farer SC because for me the CW just about wins this one.

Master
    Even saw an TV advert for this on the Discovery channel! Didn't get a chance to see how the dial text was aligned.
    CW VERY coy on the price....

Coy?

It's £895 and up depending on options.

Clear enough on their website...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Coy?

It's £895 and up depending on options.

Clear enough on their website...

Yes, but not stated at all on their TV ad! They were trying to associate the word 'small' with the price, but didn't dare do so overtly!

I caught the TV Ad too..the text is still wonky!

The Super Compressor alignment is definitely wrong, the usual mistake (which is incredibly easy to make) is to leave a space or two on the end of the line and centre with the spaces included.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The Super Compressor alignment is definitely wrong, the usual mistake (which is incredibly easy to make) is to leave a space or two on the end of the line and centre with the spaces included.
    However it shouldn’t have been signed off like that though. For that to appear on a dial suggests a lack of care or attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    However it shouldn’t have been signed off like that though. For that to appear on a dial suggests a lack of care or attention.

Agreed, 100%.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I have owned several CW watches in the past and kept none, they really should be a brand that is leaving others in the dust but there is always a little something that lets them down in this case the text on the dial. Everything else on the watch is pretty much a home run, the actual dial looks excellent and the spec is likewise. Bracelet doesnt really bother me I have only had one previous CW watch on a bracelet and found the bracelets to be pretty poor but can only assume with the quick change bracelets there is some improvements that have been made. Either way, I would probably not leave it long on a bracelet anyway.

Price wise the Farer is the same price but on a rubber strap (All be it Titanium case and a regulated movement) I dont see any possible discounts on the Farer although I think Jura (Who seem to regularly have discounts) stock them. Would like to hear opinions of anyone who has the Farer SC because for me the CW just about wins this one.
    I have an original model Hecla and couldn't be happier with it. The dial design is a pleasure, it is built like a tank, and keeps excellent time. It isn't an SC though, as noted before, if that is important to you.

The Farer is a Cracking looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Yes, but not stated at all on their TV ad! They were trying to associate the word 'small' with the price, but didn't dare do so overtly!
    That's not unusual, though, as TV ads often have a long shelf life.

M

Master
    I like this one

Did anyone get a £100 voucher from Mr Ward??

Yes but anyone can use the voucher code 100LOUPE18
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    I like this one

Did anyone get a £100 voucher from Mr Ward??

Journeyman
    Vouchers currently being sold on eBay can you believe

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    Vouchers currently being sold on eBay can you believe

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes it’s happened for years and if you look at the history they do sell!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I’ve had a good look at the characters and IMHO it is too far to the left. I don’t think it’s a kerning issue as look at how it aligns to the 5 and 7 markers. Would be interested to see one in ‘the flesh’.
    That's the trouble with the CW logo; it looks like it was designed using MS Word and will always provoke criticism like this.

This was the reply from CW (and to be fair, I didn’t think they would respond)

“Thank you for your email.

This is very slightly mis aligned by 0.25mm on our first batch and the next will be rectified for this issue, it is very hard to spot.

Please let me know if you need anything else.”

I would argue about the difficult to spot part, but seems very odd to release a product with a known error in the production - unless they are going to start a recall process like our amazing car manufacturers (bad experience with Mazda!)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by superthrust View Post
    I think that makes the Christopher ward a bit more impressive, considering the farer is a compressor only in looks.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Farer also claim that the water pressure impacts on their case and seals in a similar way to a super compressor to increase water resistance (thus the 'Aqua Compressor'?)- don't know how much truth in it. Their bezel crown is claimed water tight to 100m unscrewed to let the bezel operate underwater.

I have a s/steel Leven and am very impressed with the quality and look. When I first bought it a couple of years ago, I wasn't too sure about it when it arrived but the more I wear it the more I look forward to its rotation coming around. It a very different and distinctive watch in the current market, the polished sides and slim polished flat section of case around the crystal look great - a real touch of class. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes that style. I also have a recently issued Ocean Crawler Great Lakes which is a VERY similar design but, though I like it too, the Farer is a couple of notches at least above it in style and finish. The applied indices of the Leven work very well , as do the combination of colours on the hands/dial/bezel. The sloping crown shape works in practise fitting the fingers well - its the easiest crown to operate of all my watches. It very comfortable to wear fitting my 6.75" wrist pretty well. I wouldn't say it wears particularily small but the 41.5 x 45/46 mm, fairly slim case (no bezel stuck on top !) should suit most. In addition the movement is the 'no date' 2824 rather than a covered date wheel. I gather the latest titanium ones have a SW200 no date movement. The only issue I had was the bottom bezel crown came out and this was fixed under warranty with no issues or quibble by Farer who kept me informed of receipt, repair and return throughout.

I quite like the CW but its just missing something for me - that and a little big for a traditional style compressor at 42mm. I'd have liked to see 38mm (like the reissued Lip Nautic) or at the most 40mm. The mis- aligned text is like something on a re-done dial from India....
    Last edited by Drumcairn; 3rd September 2020 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumcairn View Post
    Farer also claim that the water pressure impacts on their case and seals in a similar way to a super compressor to increase water resistance - don't know how much truth in it. Their bezel crown is apparantly water tight to 100m unscrewed to let the bezel operate underwater. I have a Leven and am very impressed with the quality and look.

I quite like the CW but its just missing something for me - that and a little big at 42mm. I'd have liked to see 38mm (like the reissued Lip Nautic) or at the most 40mm. The mis- aligned text is like something on a re-done dial from India....
    I got one of those Lip Nautic reissue watches as a bit of fun summer watch, mine came with a bit of plastic floating around the dial and while on first impression it seemed very nice and a good fun watch the overall quality of the watch was something of a cheap micro brand and value wise probably half what it was selling for (even in the sale) Cant say I was greatly impressed with it ended up sending it back.

This is very slightly mis aligned by 0.25mm on our first batch and the next will be rectified for this issue, it is very hard to spot.

I would argue about the difficult to spot part, but seems very odd to release a product with a known error in the production - unless they are going to start a recall process like our amazing car manufacturers (bad experience with Mazda!)
    That doesn't seem right to me, to be aware the text is misaligned but selling them at full price regardless, then having it quietly corrected for the second batch.

As a brand that constantly has sales why not keep these aside for later to shift honestly with fault noted at a reduced price and hold off release for the corrected batch?

I guess they will have to replace the dials of those that complain later, and hope the majority don't notice. Maybe most folk won't.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 3rd September 2020 at 16:22.

Journeyman

1/4 of a mm? looks more like 2.5mm....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I got one of those Lip Nautic reissue watches as a bit of fun summer watch, mine came with a bit of plastic floating around the dial and while on first impression it seemed very nice and a good fun watch the overall quality of the watch was something of a cheap micro brand and value wise probably half what it was selling for (even in the sale) Cant say I was greatly impressed with it ended up sending it back.
    Lol - I had one and sent it back too under their no-quibble return policy, not that there was anything wrong with it at the price but overall there was just something...... and the lugs were a bit spindly. The 38mm case size was about right for the style though. Bought an original electronic one instead with the grey dial and black bezel and it was great - the electronic movement was great fun but it took a bit of playing around with to get it down to about a 6 secs a day. Sold it after a couple of years as hard to find anyone in the UK willing to service it.

Master
    That doesn't seem right to me, to be aware the text is misaligned but selling them at full price regardless, then having it quietly corrected for the second batch.

As a brand that constantly has sales why not keep these aside for later to shift honestly with fault noted at a reduced price and hold off release for the corrected batch?

I guess they will have to replace the dials of those that complain later, and hope the majority don't notice. Maybe most folk won't.
    I agree - seems a very strange practice to sell something with a known problem! Doesn't give you faith that quality control is their top priority.
    As you say, most people won't notice.
    The real problem with all this is that I thought my OCD tendencies were well under control compared to the obsessives on this forum - but it appears that I'm just as obsessive as everyone else!

They'll be collectors' items

M

It's been very interesting to read this thread, especially about the super-compressor case, which is new knowledge to me. Thanks to Duncan for the detailed explanation.

I happen to have a Vostock Amphibia incoming from Russia, and have read up about their caseback system, involving a caseback retaining ring which prevents shear on the thick, broad seal when it's opened and allows movement of the caseback when pressure increases.

Any views about which is the more effective system?

First tv watch advert I’ve seen since Swatch??? Trying to think if I’ve seen other tv adverts selling a watch, nope can’t think of any...

Craftsman
    Just seen an advert for this on Sky F1.

OK, it's on a replay fro FP1 on a Friday night so presumably very limited audience (and hence £) but I felt quite chuffed that a small boutique British brand was going for a full on TV advert.

Well done CW

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    This is photo from W&W review with superimposed diagonals which show the text too far to the left

These are the images now up on the CW website:

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    These are the images now up on the CW website:

I read on the CW forum that they will replace the misaligned dial for a new one for any customers who have already purchased. It’s baffling how those dials made it through QC and then go on general sale. Someone must have noticed. Oh well, at least they are doing something about it now.

Raised from the dead

Raised from the dead a bit, but I just received this today, and it's stunning.
    It does have the misaligned printing on the dial but I plan on asking therm to replace it.
    I have to say it's my new favourite.
    Bought from eBay but at £675.00 it's worth it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Raised from the dead a bit, but I just received this today, and it's stunning.
    It does have the misaligned printing on the dial but I plan on asking therm to replace it.

STILL got the wonky text?? I presume that you've got one of the original batch, or CW's quality control is hopeless!