closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Will the CCP "Crackdown" on HK affect TF Watch Production

Master

Will the CCP "Crackdown" on HK affect TF Watch Production

I greatly regretted at the time, and still, Timefactors' loss of Roland Kemmner's superlative watchmaking talent and skill when this gentleman so unfortunately suffered health problems that forced his retirement. RK manufactured one of Eddie's older designs that is still my favorite of all the watches I am aware of currently available on this earth.

At the same time, I was disappointed by the move of TF production from Germany to Hong Kong, expecting a great decline in quality, materials, and execution of design, etc., etc., and my prejudgment on that was rooted in past experience with a variety of items manufactured in that part of the world.

That was before I had the actual chance to see what Hong Kong watch manufacture could be when I bought an Armida in excellent original condition at a relatively very low price from a good guy member here. Without elaborating a lot, I'll admit that I was immediately shocked at how well this HK manufacture watch was made --- it was beautifully done and now I understand why Eddie took manufacture over to HK to try to maintain the high standards Roland Kemmner had set for TF products.

Personally, and very possibly futilely, I'm still hoping Timefactors makes a "real" Mk XI or Smiths Deluxe GS 6B/542 ('56) someday having the same negative pressure proof internally threaded retaining-ring secured screw-down flanged crystal/ full thickness solid soft iron dial & mov't cover "Faraday Cage" for max protection of mov't from magnetism/ fixed lugbars that twisting NATOs can't "pop", etc., --- in other words, the same complete and unabridged technologically comprehensive British MOD high specification case construction the originals had that I've wanted ever since learning of it when I was first got into watches years ago. And I think Eddie is the perfect one to make it if the demand is there and he wants to do it "all out" like that with a few subtle upgrades like Viton type gaskets and increased WR......................

Still, though, as regards what superb workmanship Hong Kong has, obviously --- even to me, been capable of up to now, can anybody here that is familiar with the situation comment on what the current Chinese Communist Party Government "crackdown" on Hong Kong portends for things like watch manufacture and free enterprise there in general?
    Last edited by Rollon; 29th August 2020 at 10:22.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    I greatly regretted at the time, and still, Timefactors' loss of Roland Kemmner's superlative watchmaking talent and skill when this gentleman so unfortunately suffered health problems that forced his retirement. RK manufactured one of Eddie's older designs that is still my favorite of all the watches I am aware of currently available on this earth.

At the same time, I was disappointed by the move of TF production from Germany to Hong Kong, expecting a great decline in quality, materials, and execution of design, etc., etc., and my prejudgment on that was rooted in past experience with a variety of items manufactured in that part of the world.

That was before I had the actual chance to see what Hong Kong watch manufacture could be when I bought an Armida in excellent original condition at a relatively very low price from a good guy member here. Without elaborating a lot, I'll admit that I was immediately shocked at how well this HK manufacture watch was made --- it was beautifully done and now I understand why Eddie took manufacture over to HK to try to maintain the high standards Roland Kemmner had set for TF products.

Personally, and very possibly futilely, I'm still hoping Timefactors makes a "real" Mk XI or Smiths Deluxe GS 6B/542 ('56) someday having the same negative pressure proof internal retaining-ring secured screw-down flanged crystal/ full thickness solid soft iron dial & mov't cover anti-magnetic "Faraday Cage"/ fixed lugbars that twisting NATOs can't "pop", etc., --- in other words, the same complete and unabridged technologically comprehensive British MOD high specification case construction the originals had that I've wanted ever since learning of it when I was first got into watches years ago. And I think Eddie is the perfect one to make it if the demand is there and he wants to do it "all out" like that.

Still, though, as regards what superb workmanship Hong Kong has obviously even to me been capable of up to now, can anybody here that is familiar with the situation comment on what the current Chinese Communist Party Government "crackdown" on Hong Kong portends for things like watch manufacture and free enterprise there in general?
    This is a very good question as unrest and CCP crackdown on the citizens of Hong Kong. Eddie has probably had the same questions and I am sure that he will have been in contact with his manufacturer. I have been in Hong Kong myself albeit over 25 years ago and I can attest to the fine craftsmanship that manufacturers in Hong Kong have and I can understand their pushback against Communist rule after the British had to hand over what they had built over the 50 years that they were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    ...RK manufactured one of Eddie's older designs that is still my favorite of all the watches I am aware of currently available on this earth...
    Which design is this? And why is it your favorite?