closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Day-Date Gold variations?

Journeyman

Rolex Day-Date Gold variations?

I've been looking into vintage day-dates and have spotted a few on Chrono24. I can't seem to find the answer anywhere to this questions. Some yellow gold day-dates for sale look much more yellow and some look closer to champagne. Are these two different colours or are they aged differently.

Specifically, I'm looking at the 18038 in the early to mid 80s.

Thanks!

Journeyman
    Here's a great example. I know the dials are different, but the case?

Attachment 18183

Master
    Having owned one, my experience is that they can all look like either of these, based on lighting, photography, and filters.

The one on the right is covered in mustard?

Seriously though, I think that’s lighting. Never seen a DD that looked like that.

Master
    If they haven't been polished for a long while they take on a more dark yellow, almost brown tone, from oxidizing. This goes away when theyre polished and turn to a more bright light yellow again. The picture above however is just poorly shot/lit, no DD looks that bad.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the input, you can find all the info in the world on Subs, but Day-Dates are a lot harder.

Follow up question: are these dials the same colour or are they different colours?

Attachment 18185

I think they are both the champagne dial but again it maybe the lighting that makes them look different. I think being sunburst the colours do vary with light. Nice choice of watch though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Thanks for the responses! I really think I do need to go look at a couple of these in person before pulling the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
    Thanks for the responses! I really think I do need to go look at a couple of these in person before pulling the trigger
    Indeed. Could be an expensive mistake if you pull the trigger on the wrong one. Whatever you choose I hope you love it. Any yellow gold day date is stunning.

Master
    Blog Entries

Day-Dates and Date-Days

I own a 1977 Day-Date 1803, with Matt lemon numeral minute track dial on President. The pan pie dial of the 1803 takes a lot to beat, beautiful. Only down side is the double slow set. If you are going to jump into any DD make sure it as unpolished as you can find. With a good President bracelet. The are all special and that’s how you will feel wearing one!

With stainless steel friend a Jumbo Tudor Date-Day 7017 from 1968.

Cheers,
    M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Indeed. Could be an expensive mistake if you pull the trigger on the wrong one. Whatever you choose I hope you love it. Any yellow gold day date is stunning.

I am stuck out in Spain and I must see about one or two elderly gentlemen wearing a gold Day Date every week. They all look good but some look heck of a lot better than others. I think the champagne faces look the best but that's just my opinion. The black face would be a no-no for me.

As per usual, the more you look at, the better.

That is one useful thing about Burlington Arcade, you will be able to see more than you need and then you can go somewhere more sensible and buy it there.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The black face would be a no-no for me.
    Funny old world. The black dial is my preferred choice on a YG DD.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by emmm View Post
    That is why there is no substitute for looking at as many variations as you can.

I'm the furthest thing from an expert when it comes to either vintage or gold watches, but some older Rolex's were made with 14 carat gold I think so maybe that could contribute towards a colour difference. Not sure if that applied to the day date. In any event I suspect as others have said it's mainly down to lighting.

Journeyman
    Burlington Arcade is a good piece of advice. I'll make sure I pop by to go through some pieces.

I think for me, it'll have to be an 18038. The quickset date is important to me. However, that pie pan dial does look great!

Craftsman

Funny

Quote Originally Posted by emmm View Post

Funny it is, as I agree with Mick P on the black dial. Currently looking at a DD40 pick up and the white gold with green dial is an attractive option but the Yellow/ Rose gold versions keeping saying, buy us instead.

The DD40 I feel is probably the best Rolex release across all the model range for a number of years. Faultless model.

Journeyman
    36mm galore. The black dial on this 36mm YG DD is not as dark as the other 2 in this picture:

Last edited by emmm; 30th August 2020 at 20:13.

Journeyman
    That black dial does look quite nice.

Anyone have a blue dial with yellow gold? Besides the yellow gold and champagne dial, that one has caught my eye and I'm wondering if it'll look good on alligator

Anyone have a blue dial with yellow gold? Besides the yellow gold and champagne dial, that one has caught my eye and I'm wondering if it'll look good on alligator
    Sunburst Blue dial yellow gold daydate 40 would be my dream watch!

Was a blue dial ever standard in the 36mm?. I have seen a few with blue dials but not enough to make think they were a standard option?

Craftsman

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    Very nice looking, have you tried it on any different straps?

Craftsman
    Very nice looking, have you tried it on any different straps?
    No, to be honest i like it as is, just a classic Rolex.

The daydate should stay on the president bracelet. THE best bracelet made. The blue dial looks lovely. Was blue a standard option? Iv not seen many about, that’s why I’m curious. Thank you.

Journeyman
    I like the presidential, but it looks like quite the task to find one that isn't floppy!

I like the presidential, but it looks like quite the task to find one that isn't floppy!
    Certainly is. Some are decades old and the links wear out causing them to be floppy. I understand the newer daydate 40s have ceramic sleeves to prevent this wear. But the 40’s are another price bracket again.

Master
    Problems problems problems.

The 40 series are very shiny and are a real eye magnet which is good for a posuer but bad if you are the type who worries about being mugged.

The 36mm has a brushed body around the bezel and hence is a bit more elegant and refined.

The 40 series is going to last forever with having those ceramic links fitted and must be a good long term bet if you can leave with the bling.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    The daydate should stay on the president bracelet. THE best bracelet made. The blue dial looks lovely. Was blue a standard option? Iv not seen many about, that’s why I’m curious. Thank you.

Yes it was a catalogue option, but maybe its a bit more subtle so not as many around.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Problems problems problems.

The 40 series are very shiny and are a real eye magnet which is good for a posuer but bad if you are the type who worries about being mugged.

The 36mm has a brushed body around the bezel and hence is a bit more elegant and refined.

The 40 series is going to last forever with having those ceramic links fitted and must be a good long term bet if you can leave with the bling.
    I'm leaning towards the 36mm with alligator, feels a bit more subtle as you say