closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam moment...SUPPLEMENTAL STORY ADDED

Vietnam moment...SUPPLEMENTAL STORY ADDED

I was looking at some music videos last night on YouTube and stumbled upon the one below by The Animals: "We've Gotta Get Out of This Place." The song was wildly popular among American infantry troops in Vietnam, especially in the latter '60s. I watched this video and was transported back 50+ years, particularly the final 30 seconds or so showing the unloading of troops from helicopters, and the aerial napalm strikes. Those scenes were almost exactly like my experiences the day I was wounded by a North Vietnamese hand grenade on May 27, 1967 near the DMZ. My heart skipped a couple beats watching this video and listening to that old meaningful song.

My 1966 Caravelle diver came within 3-4 inches of being obliterated by shrapnel, but it still runs perfectly in 2020! Again, apologies for wasting your time going on about myself (more than once on this topic!). Just the babbling of an old man...

Last edited by pacifichrono; 29th August 2020 at 01:02.

Straight from the heart and the watch is a beauty with such a meaningful personal history. Thanks for sharing your memories.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 29th August 2020 at 08:03.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Strangely enough I’ve just bought the complete box set of Tour of Duty, with the original soundtrack - all 58 episodes. I loved this series when it was on TV and always found the whole Vietnam history fascinating from French Colonial times onwards. Had the good fortune to meet a number of individuals who served out there, very messy and maximum respect to you. Currently reading ‘Across the Fence’ by John Striker Meyer, almost unbelievable.
    Thank you for your service.

Respect for what you did PC.
    I am sure you are downplaying the number of times those memories came back to haunt you in the years that followed your return.
    Your watch is a good symbol, as it too kept going, and here you are both, 53 years later.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

No need to apologise pal - thanks for the post!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

At that age you did more for your country than I will have done at any age and are probably still paying the price. Glad you're here and still have the watch.

Master
    That's great, thanks for sharing! Very glad you didn't have to stick it up your bum in a POW camp.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    That's great, thanks for sharing! Very glad you didn't have to stick it up your bum in a POW camp.
    Ha ha...

I went to see an exhibition of Don McCullin's work a couple of years ago and on display was his Zodiac, and a Nikon that stopped a bullet.

Those times made a lasting impression on me, and I was only a youngster, around 10 at the time, in the relative comfort and safety of Hertfordshire. I still have memories of the news reports and some of the graphic images produced in at least one of our newspaper's Sunday supplements.
    There's absolutely no need to apologise for your memories - we all benefit from those that have them to share.

BTW, I love the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Ha ha...

Great post and I must admit, that came straight to me as I was reading the chain of posts after....

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Massive respect to you, anyone that goes into battle/war will only truly know the fear, I'm thankful not to have ever had that feeling!

Did you find British bands were a hit with troops like the Rolling Stones, Kinks etc?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Massive respect to you, anyone that goes into battle/war will only truly know the fear, I'm thankful not to have ever had that feeling!

Did you find British bands were a hit with troops like the Rolling Stones, Kinks etc?
    The Animals were British of course, from Newcastle.

Blog Entries
    My trip to Vietnam some years ago was certainly different to your tour.

It remains one of the most beautiful places I have visited.

Many thanks for sharing.

Pitch

The Animals were British of course, from Newcastle.
    Yes, thats why I mentioned it plus it was a golden era for British bands..

Apologise? Absolutely no need, no need at all.

Two things that come to mind. Firstly, I can barely even begin to imagine what it would have been like to have been on foreign soil being a live target for the enemy, an enemy that wants nothing less than death to their foes. Secondly, music and morale appear to be inextricably linked during wartime.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Please feel free to share your memory’s,personally I respect what you’ve done and the quiet manner you mention it.

Master
    Not Pretentious at all,
    Great pics. I hope you've recorded your memories for future generations.
    Was a savage war with much devastation - I hope you have coped with it
    over the years
    My godfather still has nightmares about when they opened up on they're own troops
    in Cyprus in the mid 50's - and he was on the radio so wasn't firing.

Please share more

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

Absolutely!

On August 21, 1965 I saw the Beatles perform live at Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis. The Kinks are on my current playlist!

Master
    Coolest watch on the forum, no contest.

Master
    Love to hear Vietnam war history thanks for the post.

Really interesting thanks for sharing those personal memories, and got to agree with that being the coolest watch on the forum.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Two things that come to mind. Firstly, I can barely even begin to imagine what it would have been like to have been on foreign soil being a live target for the enemy, an enemy that wants nothing less than death to their foes.
    Not that i know anything, but i would have hated it as did everyone i imagine.

The last thing you want is to be ordered to walk through a jungle you dont know looking for an enemy who have lived there all their life.

Craftsman
    Absolutely!

On August 21, 1965 I saw the Beatles perform live at Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis. The Kinks are on my current playlist!

Thanks for sharing PC.

Two world class bands mentioned there! My Nan had the privilege of seeing the Beatles supported by The Kinks down here in Bournemouth! Said the Kinks blew the Beatles off the stage.

Master
    My cousin was in Vietnam with the Australian forces. My recollection is he never had kids due to Agent Orange exposure.

Great thread and story PC, good on you! I have several uncles and was taught by two teachers in secondary school who were all veterans from this war. It messed up a lot of men when they returned, not as heroes but as participants in a highly controversial conflict which much of the public did not support, or perhaps even understand.

I have the utmost respect for the soldiers of this conflict and what they went through both during the war and afterwards.

Your recollections are incredibly interesting to read so please keep them coming and make no apologies. I studied the Vietnam war during my History 'O' level and any first hand experience that you are able to share would be most welcome.

Btw - I like the Zombies - not sure if they were played though

I was looking at some music videos last night on YouTube and stumbled upon the one below by The Animals: "We've Gotta Get Out of This Place." The song was wildly popular among American infantry troops in Vietnam, especially in the latter '60s. I watched this video and was transported back 50+ years, particularly the final 30 seconds or so showing the unloading of troops from helicopters, and the aerial napalm strikes. Those scenes were almost exactly like my experiences the day I was wounded by a North Vietnamese hand grenade on May 27, 1967 near the DMZ. My heart skipped a couple beats watching this video and listening to that old meaningful song.

My 1966 Caravelle diver came within 3-4 inches of being obliterated by shrapnel, but it still runs perfectly in 2020! Again, apologies for wasting your time going on about myself (more than once on this topic!). Just the babbling of an old man...

Blog Entries
    No need to apologise been down the Mekong a few times as well as both Hanoi and Saigon ( Ho Chi Min) and experienced the tunnels of Cu Chi ( huge respect of both the American tunnel rats and the Vietnamese who lived , fought and died in those dreadful places).
    Saw an interview with Eric Burden and he said he has to sing “ we’ve got to get out of this place” it’s in his contract.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Ha ha...

Thank the gods it wasn't a Zeus Bolt from Invicta!

You have much humility my friend, anything you have to say/write, I will listen/read.

Music is an incredibly evocative medium Tom so I'm not surprised you were taken back to those years.

I remember watching the war on the news every night and I'm just sorry you had to endure that stuff.

Lovely keepsake in the Caravelle.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Thanks for sharing PC - it's what forums are for, and Vietnam is an important part of World history. The only authentic voices are those of men like yourself who were actually there.
    It's good to talk about it - too many vets of every kind never do, my own grandfather (WW2), and friends my own age who served in NI, S.Atlantic, Yugoslavia, Gulf etc all kept too much to themselves, and I've often wished they didn't...

Master
    No apologies needed, you went, you saw, and you made it home, no small feat. Many thanks to you.

Thanks for sharing, nothing pretentious about that at all!

When I was in my teens I bought a book in a motorway service station called One a Warrior King by David Donovan. This began an interest in personal accounts of the Vietnam war. Another brilliant one was Chickenhawk by Robert Mason.

I bought a documentary on VHS called Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam. It showed war footage as a background to letters home from troops which were read by Hollywood stars. It had so much of the music that was associated with that era/war. Here is a link to a playlist that looks like it shows the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BA84FC6F234C4A

All the best

Matt
    Last edited by Matt London; 28th August 2020 at 19:43. Reason: Added link ;)

Nice one, PC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Thanks for sharing, nothing pretentious about that at all!

When I was in my teens I bought a book in a motorway service station called One a Warrior King by David Donovan. This began an interest in personal accounts of the Vietnam war. Another brilliant one was Chickenhawk by Robert Mason.

I bought a documentary on VHS called Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam. It showed war footage as a background to letters home from troops which were read by Hollywood stars. It had so much of the music that was associated with that era/war. Here is a link to a playlist that looks like it shows the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BA84FC6F234C4A

All the best

Matt

I havent read chickenhawk in decades so just bought a copy of it and this one which is also good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rumor-War-P.../dp/0712664459

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Love to hear Vietnam war history thanks for the post.
    A bit off topic but not really:

One day my infantry company (Mike) was relocating about ten miles to a new encampment. The temperature was in the 90sF and so was the humidity. We were basically in a forced march all day, carrying every bit of our worldly possessions, with us, including tents, air mattresses, food, clothing, personal kit, shovel tool, plus every bit of company armament: ammunition, mortars, mines, fragmentation, incendiary, and smoke grenades. All this equipment was attached to us on the outside of our heavy flak jackets. A few of us were also honored with carrying and using squad radios (~20 lbs.). Loaded weapons were 8-10 lbs., plus at least 12 magazines with 20 rounds each on your belt. Add it all up and it's maybe 100 pounds of dead weight to carry for ten miles through suffocating heat and humidity.

We had a machine gunner who was about 19 (like me!) but who was overweight. Unfortunately, machine gunners had to carry 23-pound machine guns and bandoleers of 7.62mm ammo for them. Well, this poor guy had a difficult time keeping up the modest pace of the company. He kept falling back and falling down. His team leader tried to encourage and help him, but the task was just too much for this kid. On the left below is an internet photo of a machine gunner with the gun on his shoulder:

By contrast, our university-educated, athletic platoon lieutenant was equipped about like the guy below, center-left:

The guy was barely carrying anything beyond his flak jacket and .45 cal. automatic. I'm sure some "loser" was assigned to carry all his crap!

So anyway, our lieutenant notices the struggling 'gunner and shouts profanities at him when he's in earshot. After a while, the lieutenant realizes the situation is degrading instead of improving, so he briskly marches to the back of the company. After fiercely berating the (fat) kid for a couple minutes, the machine gunner finally falls down under the weight of the 120+ pound load and starts whimpering, bathed in sweat. Our lieutenant jumped on the guy, grabbed the helmet off his head, and began beating him in the head and body there in the mud, while continuing to curse at him. The 'gunner's team leader finally broke in and put a stop to the beating, assuring the platoon leader that they would take care of the situation (which they did).

I'd never heard of "fragging" at that early point in the war, but if I/we had, I know one asshole lieutenant who would never have made it home, except in a body bag!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Leiutenant sounds like a great and inspiring leader?

I think you need to re read his story.

An officer should lead and inspire by example,not bully and make it easy for himself.

Great story PC thanks for sharing the weights and heat at 19! unimaginable for many of todays 19 year olds ....

Reminds me of Paul Hardcastle hit ‘19’....

Your Lieutenant sounds like an inspiring leader !!!....imagine if Trump had been a Lieutenant...praise the lord for ‘bone spurs’..

(Rewrite for easier understanding)..

Craftsman
    Great thread PC and big respect ✊

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Fascinating insights into a situation way beyond what most of us on here have experienced.

Keep them coming!

Coincidentally I watched Full Metal Jacket the other night. I am not sure how realistic the battle scenes were or the basic training part but I couldnt have coped with a fraction of all of that.
    Strangely enough the whole film was made in England with the battle scenes in the defunct Beckton gas works in East London.

Amazing what a few palm trees can do.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grunts on a hump. Reminds me of this iconic USMC recruiting poster:

One of the last of the Marine Phantoms I worked on in the 90s had a confirmed MiG kill over Vietnam:

Air to air combat was unusual, so that bird probably spent most of its flight hours in close air support of devil dogs like [mention]pacifichrono [/mention]

There were a few of those old vets around in my time. It was a great privilege to serve with them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Interesting personal accounts. War is a horrible thing that most of us are fortunate to never have to experience first hand.

I spent a couple of months in Vietnam some years ago and visited many historical war sites and museums.

People often forget the many Vietnamese that perished, many many more than US losses. Mostly civilians.

The many Vietnam War films never give a view of the Vietnamese suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post

One of the last of the Marine Phantoms I worked on in the 90s had a confirmed MiG kill over Vietnam:

It would seem like the pilot could also lay claim to at least one turkey buzzard as well - https://www.upi.com/Archives/1980/10...6051339220800/

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Fascinating insights into a situation way beyond what most of us on here have experienced.

Keep them coming!

Coincidentally I watched Full Metal Jacket the other night. I am not sure how realistic the battle scenes were or the basic training part but I couldnt have coped with a fraction of all of that.
    On youtube there is some recorded footage of actual fire fights in Vietnam.

I would not recommend it however, real war footage is haunting and distressing.

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post

Air to air combat was unusual, so that bird probably spent most of its flight hours in close air support of devil dogs like [mention]pacifichrono [/mention]

There were a few of those old vets around in my time. It was a great privilege to serve with them.
    The F4 Phantoms were our best friends out in the jungle - - whether it was dropping bombs or napalm to 'soften' the enemy for us, they were a Godsend!

Is it an urban legend that there were more American casualties from ‘blue on blue’ than from enemy fire in Vietnam?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I havent read chickenhawk in decades so just bought a copy of it and this one which is also good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rumor-War-P.../dp/0712664459
    About the same time that PC was in Vietnam I was on manouevres in our back garden with a Johnny Seven, and that's the closest I've come so far to military service. But I developed an unhealthy interest in the Vietnam War in my 20s, prompted by Apocalypse Now which left a lasting impression on me. I read Chickenhawk in 1984, must read that one again one day. Read A Rumor Of War a few months later but for some reason I remember little about that one.

As a kid I found the Vietnam War quite hard to understand. Britain was still steeped in WW2 culture at that time - war films on TV every weekend, war stories in the comics, toy shops full of Spitfires, Action Man etc etc. You'd see news reports about Vietnam on the news, but at the same time, from watching the many US TV shows that made it over to ITV and the BBC - Bewitched, Andy Williams (remember the cookie monster?), My Favourite Martian and The Dick Van Dyke Show, there was no apparent sense that America was a country at war.

Master
    Blog Entries
    sadly they where never going to win and like us in NI the ordinary soldier was thrown to the wolves.

you can here Richard Nixon and others on tape talking about it, a lot of it was to stay in power/shenanigans rather than what was best.

go back further and read this book.

The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French Defeat in Vietnam (Cassell Military Paperbacks) Paperback

and other books on the subject.

this is one officer I respect a lot and hes French.

Marcel Bigeard,as tough as old boots.he was so inspirational paras where dropping into Dien Bien Phu even when they knew it was a lost cause.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Bigeard

There’s a 1970 World in Action ‘The Quiet Mutiny’ presented by John Pilger covering the morale of conscripts in Vietnam at the time, use of drugs, fragging.

One of my memories of BBC news clips of the time is of soldiers using the breeches and barrels of their rifles as bongs.

Some books:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Strangely enough the whole film was made in England with the battle scenes in the defunct Beckton gas works in East London.

Amazing what a few palm trees can do.
    Some great posts in this thread, keep em coming PC..

FMJ is a brilliant film and I cannot believe it was filmed in England, that is just amazing.. Next thing you'll tell me Platoon was filmed in the Forest of Dean..