closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Third 'micro' arrival: HELGRAY SUPERFAST

Third 'micro' arrival: HELGRAY SUPERFAST

I actually received this new micro first (about two weeks ago), but since I didn't have the correct size bracelet for it, I stored it until now. Meanwhile, the Wolbrook and Yema automatics arrived within days of each other, and I posted them in another thread. All three watches are numbered limited editions.

This Helgray is a 44mm cushion case bi-compax quartz chrono that was shod with a very high quality, thick green and yellow NATO, as seen in the first photo below. I immediately swapped it out for a new 24mm adjustable shark mesh bracelet, which I haven't sized yet!

Master
    That looks great, and the sharks mesh suits it perfectly .

Craftsman

Third 'micro' arrival: HELGRAY SUPERFAST

Any chance of a lume shot? I’ve been toying with the idea of getting one of these as a daily.

Edit: this is the colour scheme that caught my eye

Last edited by NickGaters; 26th August 2020 at 07:06.

Journeyman
    Looks very cool! How does that mesh bracelet wear? Does it catch hairs or skins at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    At 44mm that’s hardly micro but I love the green face, mesh suits it too. Very tempted by another micro brand in green as it happens. The Draken Benguela with its hooded lugs ticks a lot of boxes for me

Love my Superfast - and, love the look of the shark-mesh as I do, there's still no way mine's coming off the superb quality NATO! Been besotted with that colour scheme since I was a little kid watching GT40s and 917s touting Gulf's branding! My only complaint is my petrolhead Mrs keeps nicking it!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Love my Superfast - and, love the look of the shark-mesh as I do, there's still no way mine's coming off the superb quality NATO! Been besotted with that colour scheme since I was a little kid watching GT40s and 917s touting Gulf's branding! My only complaint is my petrolhead Mrs keeps nicking it!

That's quite the unusual wife, going for a 44mm Gulf!

Master
    Thats very Lotus :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

Christ I bet it looks massive on the mrs, good effort though I approve of her taste and petrol headed tendencies .. my mrs like Nissan figaros lol hardly compares

Master
    Can't see the Gulf one anywhere on their website :(
    Gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    That's quite the unusual wife, going for a 44mm Gulf!
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Christ I bet it looks massive on the mrs, good effort though I approve of her taste and petrol headed tendencies .. my mrs like Nissan figaros lol hardly compares
    Bless her, she's nuts, 5'6" and not exactly chunky, but then she has the upper body strength to drive her 1st-gen manual NS-X in the spirit it was intended and the personality to carry off a 44mm watch if she chooses , so lucky me I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Can't see the Gulf one anywhere on their website :(
    Gorgeous
    It sold-out at the pre-order stage, unfortunately - beats me why they didn't make more, it's a retro colour scheme with a LOT of fans, and I personally think it's the nicest use of it I've yet seen.
    Last edited by earlofsodbury; 27th August 2020 at 12:45.

It looks to be for sale on their website here:

https://www.helgray.com/products/sup...eid=6af7411da4

That, is a very handsome watch, wonderful case shape.
    If i was in the market for another timepiece, i`d definitely consider a black dial..

I'd just bought another Hamilton this morning then seen this.
    I signed up for the newsletter and got a code for 10% off. It look's generic so if anyone wants one use GET10 as a discount code.
    I will buy one but maybe in a few weeks now.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    That, is a very handsome watch, wonderful case shape.
    If i was in the market for another timepiece, i`d definitely consider a black dial..

I would be careful, the reviews on Trustpilot are horrendous.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.helgray.com

Mitch

Wow, don’t think I’ve seen such poor reviews on Trustpilot, good shout OP...

Glad I bought the Hamilton earlier than I read the post.
    Forget the 10% lark. You can't get 10% off nothing.

I can understand a few disgruntled customers but their are so many.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I would be careful, the reviews on Trustpilot are horrendous.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.helgray.com

Mitch

By way of an observation: every microbrand (especially those who crowdfund) get a ton of reviews like these - most from people who've lost patience with over-optimistic delivery estimates, or from people who didn't realise they'd have to pay duty, or were plain unlucky and had their watch stolen in-transit...

Roll-in the facts that nano-brand QA usually involves shipping out watches and hoping for the best, and that one-man-bands are fuelled by a mix of panic and unwarranted optimism, for a host of reasons they often fail badly at expectation-management.

I've bought two watches from Helgray with no issues at-all, they're great watches for not very much money. They're a bit slow, a bit uncommunicative - but on the upside they don't expect me to drag myself to their premises, beg on bended knee to be allowed to join a waiting-list, patronise me, make me jump through hoops, buy unwanted crap, then wait months to discover if I've been honoured with permission to buy the overpriced mundanity I once wanted...

FWVLIW I've also occasionally daydreamed about designing, specifying and manufacturing a watch or two that does everything I'd like one to do... I always go and browse the likes of Trustpilot until sanity returns. Huge respect to Eddie for making the micro thing work so well as he does!

I posted a 5-star review yesterday for the Helgray Superfast I bought.

Master
    Is take a lot of those reviews with a pinch of salt, very small operation and faults to be expected
    It does show as already mentioned though what a good job Eddie does

I looked at the Helgray site after reading this article, and was sorely tempted by the Gulf colour but I just can't be bothered if I'm going to get d*cked about and end up having to chase them for either the watch or to get my money back. Shame as it looks a lot of watch for the money.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

NICE LOOKING

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I looked at the Helgray site after reading this article, and was sorely tempted by the Gulf colour but I just can't be bothered if I'm going to get d*cked about and end up having to chase them for either the watch or to get my money back. Shame as it looks a lot of watch for the money.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Good looking watch but how often would you wear it

Good looking watches, pity about the reviews which sounds like a micro brand biting off a bit more than they can chew. I suppose due to events over the last 6 months you could cut them a bit of slack but I'd be wary and would probably wait another good few months before coming back to see what the state of play is.

I'm sure as well Pacificchrono etc will keep us updated on quality etc ,so look forward for updates.

Dunno about quality - "my" Superfast appears to have taken-up permanent residence in my wife's dressing-room...

...probably the last I'll see of it until it needs a new battery if previous form's anything to go by...

And it suits her perfectly!