closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex Website - New 2020 Watches

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Those double batons kill it for me.
    Sadly! Once seen you cannot unsee. Shame they had to mess with the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Just found a thread of mine from 2010.

The prices quoted here are painful... and remember, there were no waiting lists and discount was standard (I got 15% off my first Rolex; a GMTIIc, brand new from an AD that I had no relationship with; I simply emailed them with the price I wanted to pay, and they agreed, and I collected it that weekend).

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Rolex
    Would love to flash back in time 10 years knowing what we know now and fill my boots.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Has anyone here actually had confirmation from their Rolex AD regarding a new Submariner being ordered on their behalf and an estimated delivery time?

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Has anyone here actually had confirmation from their Rolex AD regarding a new Submariner being ordered on their behalf and an estimated delivery time?
    They call you after they get it not before apparently

Some very clever people on Instagram lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Some very clever people on Instagram lol

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I was told to expect a 1-2 year wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    How long have you been here, some would fight to the death over a sheet of toilet paper.
    This actually had my laughing out loud. Guilty as charged!

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    What is it about the batons? Others seem equally put out. I'm not sure I would notice them?
    The 36 OP turquoise dial looks great to me-would love to see one in the flesh and try it on. I was looking at the white dial before the revamp, but think the turquoise is great.
    I agree that's the most attractive in the line up to me as well. Originally I thought 41, but having seen the wrist shots I think 36 is the way to go. Decent value for money as well (by Rolex standards).

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    The update of the calibre to the new 32** does give quite an upgrade in terms of performance.
    However, I’ am not sure that I would ever want to be tied to Rolex for servicing which I believe the new 32** calibre will require so that rather kills it for me
    I hadn't heard about this, that's interesting. How does the new calibre tie you to Rolex servicing, custom tooling?

Quote Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
    I was told to expect a 1-2 year wait...
    I must admit, possibly caught up in the hype but I did send my AD a cheeky message enquiring about the ND. My grand total of 1 purchase a year ago of a relatively in-demand watch is probably not going to carry much weight and I won't be jumping through any hoops, but worth a go! If I got a 1-2 year wait message I'd be pretty happy, not heard anything yet

Master
    Well I have "put my name down" for a Green or Yellow OP41.

I have had lots of Rolex but never yet managed to buy a new one from an AD.

I have over the last 5-7 years done the name putting down thing at least 6 times I can think of but never had the call.

Maybe this time will be different......

Master
    Having not got any calls about the original Batman, Batgirl or Pepsi since launch, I’m not even going to bother with the Cermit, despite liking the green. Clearly I’m not important enough for them. Been in regularly to chat with them about updates / watches etc

Think I’d rather ensure an explorer for my wife’s 40th & then after that may try my luck again, but I’m frankly fed up with the whole charade. Grew up loving the brand, lost my mojo at the moment with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Now that Rolex have killed off the white dial 36mm OP, there is nothing in their range that I’m hankering after.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Now that Rolex have killed off the white dial 36mm OP, there is nothing in their range that I’m hankering after.
    I still need to settle on a dress watch - JLC Ultra Thin Moon is a front runner but I've heard horror stories about the aftercare.

A nice 36mm white gold and steel DJ with fluted bezel, silver dial and jubilee strap would be my alternative - appreciate it's more "dressy" than "dress" but I've always had a soft spot for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Having not got any calls about the original Batman, Batgirl or Pepsi since launch, I’m not even going to bother with the Cermit, despite liking the green. Clearly I’m not important enough for them. Been in regularly to chat with them about updates / watches etc

Think I’d rather ensure an explorer for my wife’s 40th & then after that may try my luck again, but I’m frankly fed up with the whole charade. Grew up loving the brand, lost my mojo at the moment with them.

I'm in exactly the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
    I'm in exactly the same boat.
    Myself the same, I have the dosh and I have the collection of watches and the purchase history, but My AD is totally disinterested in me and I am growing totally disinterested in Rolex. They are somewhere between lifestyle products and stocks at the moment and the though of filling the watchbox with almost identical stainless watches with ceramic bezels of various colours is less than appealing.....This Lemming is walking off another direction.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgeme View Post
    Myself the same, I have the dosh and I have the collection of watches and the purchase history, but My AD is totally disinterested in me and I am growing totally disinterested in Rolex. They are somewhere between lifestyle products and stocks at the moment and the though of filling the watchbox with almost identical stainless watches with ceramic bezels of various colours is less than appealing.....This Lemming is walking off another direction.
    I have my SKX in bezel colours, I had my BB with colours, only kept the red & the non dive one. Happy to do it for the Pepsi & Cermit, but it’s not going to happen.

Would love to think it’s their loss. But it’s mine!

Blog Entries
    Wow, just wow.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Having been a serial Rolex owner in the past, just wearing as watches not investments, there was a point about 8 years ago when I just realised I was a bit bored with the brand - I had a Kermit which I’d never really bonded with and had multiple issues it took St James about 3 attempts to fix, and none I owned had ‘stuck’ - so I sold the Kermit for twice what I paid for it and decided not to bother any more. I’ve just seen this thread and will admit I have no idea what the new Submariner looks like, or what models have been released - just zero interest, I haven’t scrolled through this thread or searched the net at all. If you’d met me 10 years ago I was a huge fan boy but the ludicrous prices and unobtainable nature has just pushed them into ‘don’t care’ territory for me - the reason for the post is curiosity really, I wonder how many will follow my path and feel the same in 2030?

My experience of buying and wearing Rolex watches over the last years is totally different from the experiences shared by other members recently. I have a good relationship with a family-owned local jewellery firm who hold the Rolex AD in their two shops here in south Cheshire. They are passionate about Rolex and Omega, knowledgeable about the watches and seem genuinely interested in helping their customers build their collections. They seem to deal with us fairly and try to spread the availability of watches within their local customer base. The local customer side of this seems particularly important (this was also the message from Boodles in Chester/Manchester when I've spoke with them about the Patek range).

Clearly, no one customer is going to get access to everything that they want. But I honestly think they are trying their best in difficult circumstances to get new watches out as quickly as they get them to a range of customers. Loyalty, patience and commitment to one's purchases all seem good attributes in fostering relationships at the moment. I've really enjoyed the experience and I'm pleased Rolex (and Omega) are innovating incrementally and still producing great watches.

´Loyalty, patience and commitment´...sounds more like a marriage than shopping for an item.
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th September 2020 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    ´Loyalty, patience and commitment´...sounds more like a marriage than shopping for an item.
    Suppose so! But there are lots of folk moaning about not getting access to watches that they would probably like to own. These attributes are key to selling stuff in my business as well as buying things from Rolex ADs.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Some on here will be more loyal, patient and committed to their AD than their spouse.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Some on here will be more loyal, patient and committed to their AD than their spouse.
    If your standing with your boner in your hand in front of your wife and she tells you its a 5 years wait for marital relations, but less if you buy some her some jewellery and a Panerai, there are others more worthy of her attentions...its time find another wife.

Journeyman
    If your standing with your boner in your hand in front of your wife and she tells you its a 5 years wait for marital relations, but less if you buy some her some jewellery and a Panerai, there are others more worthy of her attentions...its time find another wife.

Depends, what's she offering once we get upstairs, the equivalent of a two tone DateJust or a white dial Daytona? I'd now the garden or go get the car washed for one, not the other.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Having been a serial Rolex owner in the past, just wearing as watches not investments, there was a point about 8 years ago when I just realised I was a bit bored with the brand - I had a Kermit which I’d never really bonded with and had multiple issues it took St James about 3 attempts to fix, and none I owned had ‘stuck’ - so I sold the Kermit for twice what I paid for it and decided not to bother any more. I’ve just seen this thread and will admit I have no idea what the new Submariner looks like, or what models have been released - just zero interest, I haven’t scrolled through this thread or searched the net at all. If you’d met me 10 years ago I was a huge fan boy but the ludicrous prices and unobtainable nature has just pushed them into ‘don’t care’ territory for me - the reason for the post is curiosity really, I wonder how many will follow my path and feel the same in 2030?
    Another convert here too, I wear my Nokia smart watch since about 6months and dont miss wearing a Rolex at all. When I see them on people I feel the same way when I see a 2005 BMW with decal trim revving at the stoplights. Good cars but not a brand I want to be associated with either.

Trouble is I'm a Rolex watchmaker and at almost 40 its a bit tough to switch careers but I think thats the path Im headed. The brand has really turned to crap since Dufour stepped in, as many predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Another convert here too, I wear my Nokia smart watch since about 6months and dont miss wearing a Rolex at all. When I see them on people I feel the same way when I see a 2005 BMW with decal trim revving at the stoplights. Good cars but not a brand I want to be associated with either.

Trouble is I'm a Rolex watchmaker and at almost 40 its a bit tough to switch careers but I think thats the path Im headed. The brand has really turned to crap since Dufour stepped in, as many predicted.
    Get that profile edited - people will think you are still interested in Rolex

I love Rolex, I have had loads and I still have a couple. Problem is Rolex has become watch collecting. To buy anything else is seen as stupid and the Rolex bubble soaks up watches by people who really couldnt care less about them, it just a fashion assessory or a flip oppertunity. I love Role but I can see why people hate it...but there are plenty more fish in the sea, and purchases are more considered when you dont always get your money back out.

I love Rolex, I have had loads and I still have a couple. Problem is Rolex has become watch collecting. To buy anything else is seen as stupid and the Rolex bubble soaks up watches by people who really couldnt care less about them, it just a fashion assessory or a flip opportunity.
    I very much agree with this which is a shame as Rolex in my opinion were decent looking and hard wearing work horses.

Due to there popularity on social media because of the bling factor and status symbol they portray attract the wrong sort of people. The type who also love Gucci or Burberry clothing.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 5th September 2020 at 09:45.

For me Rolex is an achievement brand. Expensive and luxurious but meaningful at important times in my life and will be passed through my family. Yes any brand can be passed through the family but with Rolex we know that our watches will hold value and become a recognised heirloom.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I very much agree with this which is a shame as Rolex in my opinion were decent looking and hard wearing work horses.

Due to there popularity on social media because of the bling factor and status symbol they portray attract the wrong sort of people. The type who also love Gucci or Burberry clothing.
    I've not shared this before but when I was sourcing my Yacht-Master I was contacted by someone from Rolex and they shared an insight with me. If anyone enquires about a "Batman" "Smurf" or "Hulk" etc they are put straight to the back of the queue.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I've not shared this before but when I was sourcing my Yacht-Master I was contacted by someone from Rolex and they shared an insight with me. If anyone enquires about a "Batman" "Smurf" or "Hulk" etc they are put straight to the back of the queue.
    That's Alan Sugar stuffed then ,- no wonder he went on Twitty

For many years, there were two Rolex ADs in my local city centre. I have been a customer of both for a number of years, one more so than the other. My experience of customer service and how demand vs availability has been handled over those years: AD#1 = entirely open, transparent and a pleasure to deal with, you knew exactly where you stood. AD#2 = entirely disingenuousness and disinterested.

In their wisdom, Rolex decided that there could be only one AD in any particular geography. They ‘deselected’ AD#1, of course.

If I now wanted the privilege of buying one of their products, I would have to countenance the disingenuousness and disinterest of AD#2. It says a lot about the values of the brand, I think.

I’ve read this thread with some interest, but now as a distant and impartial observer of the feverish circus show.
    Last edited by 11erv; 6th September 2020 at 10:51.

Master
    It’s easy to forget that the bulk of Rolex buyers are not enthusiasts, they just want a fine watch . We are a small minority. I suspect some ADs see us as a nuisance. The models we want, they can sell a dozen times over. We need them, they don’t need us. Sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The models we want, they can sell a dozen times over. We need them, they don’t need us. Sad really.
    While the hype and frenzy lasts!

Master
    Always assumed it was dealer’s discretion. Wouldn’t have thought Rolex were involved. The huge grey market that’s arisen over the last few years suggests they aren’t concerned by or able to control supplies by dealers.

EDIT: Just realised - you mean calling them that rather than 116610LV, etc.?

I heard they are even kicked off the list. As they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Genuinely curious. Why should they be?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

I hadn't heard about this, that's interesting. How does the new calibre tie you to Rolex servicing, custom tooling?

This is a great article about the new calibre and why you are more tied to Rolex servicing. I copied the summary below.
    http://bhi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/...-the-Month.pdf

"Even though the score was 2 – 2, in my opinion the 3135 still comes out on top. It’s long-lasting, it’s proven and it can be repaired for decades to come even if parts supply is discontinued. It doesn’t require excessive
    replacement of costly parts, which makes it watchmaker friendly and customer-friendly. The 3235 is a great movement, there is no denying that. But its speed and looks can’t compare with the strength and intelligence of its older brother. Strength and intelligence are the qualities of a great king, thus the 3135 reigns supreme."

Being kicked off the list would be a tad harsh.

Relax, it is supposed to be a joke:-). Though I do think the nicknames are silly and childish.

Master
    It’s far worse than that, a bit like if you are caught speeding and you have to go on a driver awareness course, you get sent on a Rolex awareness course! Worse still the course is run by Mick!!! Very few get out alive ....

Relax, it is supposed to be a joke:-). Though I do think the nicknames are silly and childish.
    They are. Just so hard to tell the jokes from the bizarrely serious on here sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    It’s far worse than that, a bit like if you are caught speeding and you have to go on a driver awareness course, you get sent on a Rolex awareness course! Worse still the course is run by Mick!!! Very few get out alive ....
    I can imagine his list of commandments starting with 'thou shalt not sell a Rolex'

Master
    I've wondered about the nicknames and always avoid offing them preferring to say something like, 'the GMT with the black and blue bezel'. Pretty much every ad has replied with something like, ' Hahahaha! No. There's no chance of a batman'

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Slowly bored to death.

What a way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Always assumed it was dealer’s discretion. Wouldn’t have thought Rolex were involved. The huge grey market that’s arisen over the last few years suggests they aren’t concerned by or able to control supplies by dealers.

EDIT: Just realised - you mean calling them that rather than 116610LV, etc.?
    As I understood it, Rolex aren't officially involved but were/are engineering their product to be viewed as upmarket. The Yacht-Master I wanted was with the platinum dial (which was how I referred to it) and had been discontinued for six months and the person that contacted me helped enormously. No, I don't have their number (!) Shortly after that call I was then contacted by a London dealer (not a million miles from St James) to say one had suddenly appeared with gloves coffin box etc. I was also offered a Daytona via phone call about a year after.

My point being from my experience I would avoid nicknames like the plague as I think they're perceived as chavvy.
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 5th September 2020 at 14:03.

Those are strangely okay here but Rolie/Rolie isn't.

I went into a Rolex AD near to me to put my name down for a Hulk about a year ago. In order to gain their sympathy, not come across as a flipper and get myself to the top of ‘the list’ I decided to play dumb and refer to it as that “lovely green Rolex watch with the nice numbers on the outside.” I told them that it was going to be a present from my wife (it’s not) who had been saving up all her life and pretended to not know anything about the Rolex brand or any other for that matter - a kind of reverse psychology for watch buying. I also tried ‘cosying up’ to the female sales person (no, not like that!) and we engaged in some mirth and merriment as well.

Still haven’t heard a bloody thing. 😕

I love Rolex, I have had loads and I still have a couple. Problem is Rolex has become watch collecting. To buy anything else is seen as stupid and the Rolex bubble soaks up watches by people who really couldnt care less about them, it just a fashion assessory or a flip oppertunity. I love Role but I can see why people hate it...but there are plenty more fish in the sea, and purchases are more considered when you dont always get your money back out.
    The hobby is more than Rolex, thankfully. You are not wrong.

THE most faked watch brand on the planet.

What happened to this great forum when it was the love of watches, no matter what brand?

I'll be at the back of the queue then. Not because I have enquired. In over 40 years of collecting, I've never been on a list to buy one. I love watches more than that.