closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex Website - New 2020 Watches

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Yep, spot on mate, it's one of the watches I yearned for back then but couldn't afford, and of course I love that it's such an unashamed fanny-magnet.....
    Imagine if you had the gold Daytona with green face though.
    You would be literally dripping in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    According to Revolution Watches live feed - measured via calipers the new Sub is 40.53mm (vs 40.22mm old Sub) - so it rounds up to “41mm” + 0.23mm thinner
    Yes, Rolex have form for that - I think the '40mm' SS Daytona is actually around 38.5mm, certainly not more than 39mm.

Comparing the pics of the old & new Submariner side-by-side, there certainly appears little in it, although the lug & bracelet changes would admittedly help visually 'soften' any diameter increase to the new version.

I presume they have led with the new 41mm size just to give us all something to talk about!

In general, I'm underwhelmed by the new releases - the movement update in the Submariner was expected and good though it is, is therefore not that exciting a revelation (and nor would I be rushing to upgrade from the venerable 3130 movement anyway). The lugs are improved, but it's still very much the same watch in appearance (which is neither surprising nor a bad thing), and I tend to like my watches in the classic black dial, black bezel insert format, so the coloured versions do little for me. I like some of the OPs, others are horrible, but 36mm is still where I'd be spending my cash.

Aside from my 114060, there's few modern Rolex that I'd want to own, really - possibly the GMT Master ii, but I'd still prefer the older version.

Master
    Still no confirmed info on the lug width and lug to lug.

Watchfinder normally has a few Hulks listed for sale but currently they aren’t showing any. Possibly they are waiting to see how many enquiries they receive and the pricing will reflect that.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Watchfinder normally has a few Hulks listed for sale but currently they aren’t showing any. Possibly they are waiting to see how many enquiries they receive and the pricing will reflect that.
    They had three up first thing yesterday morning all around the £15-£16k mark, they had all disappeared by lunchtime.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I love everything about it .....

.....except the double 3,6,9 indices. I can’t get my head round those
    And that it wears too large on that wrist! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Those indices do sadden me as (even besides the size increase) they make it a less desirable watch than its 39mm predecessor, which was lovely. It seems a real shame if they are going to adopt this approach for both the 36 and 39, leaving only the 34 as a choice if you want the pure lines of the outgoing 39. That was such a classy aesthetic, it really surprises me they would decide to move away from it.

Maybe the indices will look less jarring and obvious in person? Does anyone have a current OP 36 with the double indices? I haven't actually seen one in the wild and wonder if it would bother me less in person...

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    And that it wears too large on that wrist! ;)

Surely people aren’t getting out of their prams over 0.31 of a millimetre case difference?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Surely people aren’t getting out of their prams over 0.31 of a millimetre case difference?
    How long have you been here, some would fight to the death over a sheet of toilet paper.

Master
    It may only be 0.31mm to you mate, but it’s a betrayal of all Rolex values, everything is too big, the colours are all wrong, I’m absolutely furious, etc etc etc.
    And that’s before we get to the green bezel shade!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It may only be 0.31mm to you mate, but it’s a betrayal of all Rolex values, everything is too big, the colours are all wrong, I’m absolutely furious, etc etc etc.
    Not sure what all the fuss is about, one quick polish and you'll be back to 40mm ;). Seriously, I love the look of the new submariner. Very elegant and classy. I think it will become a classic.

Journeyman
    I rather like the look of the green....

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

I'm inclined to agree, I think it looks stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Not sure what all the fuss is about, one quick polish and you'll be back to 40mm ;). Seriously, I love the look of the new submariner. Very elegant and classy. I think it will become a classic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Thanks for that link...didn't watch it fully...Paul Thorpe videos usually bore me, but saw an interesting comment on the side. I had always felt this would be the case, but if true - an important development!

According to Revolution Watches live feed - measured via calipers the new Sub is 40.53mm (vs 40.22mm old Sub) - so it rounds up to “41mm” + 0.23mm thinner
    Very interesting that - you could say this is the Rolex way of quietly admitting they got the lugs wrong on the previous ones while focussing all the attention on the fractionally larger case, classic misdirection! I strongly suspect the Oyster Perpetual 41 won’t be 41mm either. But in any case (excuse the pun), they may have shot themselves in the foot and put off as many people as they’ve attracted with the new size. The Hodinkee Instagram of the new silver watch has endless comments saying it’s a mistake and asking why they would kill the white OP39, which many think is the best watch in their range.

Journeyman
    I would agree with that - it seems a very strange decision to me. I recognize I am just one person, and their marketing/sales figures must have told them a different story, but the white and black OP 39 were to my mind the best watches in the OP range and probably the most elegant watches currently available in the Rolex stable. Given they were only released in 2018, it seems a real shame to be retiring them already to make way for bigger watches with double indices that kill the perfect form of the 39.

The retiring of the white dial completely seems an especially strange decision. They have some marketing information/focus groups somewhere that tells them this is what people want, but I find it hard to understand. I do acknowledge the new silver looks a stunning color - if only one can live with the double indices and the larger case size...And the less classy yellow hour markers, which seem totally unnecessary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Very interesting that - you could say this is the Rolex way of quietly admitting they got the lugs wrong on the previous ones while focussing all the attention on the fractionally larger case, classic misdirection! I strongly suspect the Oyster Perpetual 41 won’t be 41mm either. But in any case (excuse the pun), they may have shot themselves in the foot and put off as many people as they’ve attracted with the new size. The Hodinkee Instagram of the new silver watch has endless comments saying it’s a mistake and asking why they would kill the white OP39, which many think is the best watch in their range.
    Last edited by Lantenac06; 2nd September 2020 at 13:36.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post
    I would agree with that - it seems a very strange decision to me. I recognize I am just one person, and their marketing/sales figures must have told them a different story, but the white and black OP 39 were to my mind the best watches in the OP range and probably the most elegant watches currently available in the Rolex stable. Given they were only released in 2018, it seems a real shame to be retiring them already to make way for bigger watches with double indices that kill the perfect form of the 39.

The retiring of the white dial completely seems an especially strange decision. They have some marketing information/focus groups somewhere that tells them this is what people want, but I find it hard to understand. I do acknowledge the new silver looks a stunning color - if only one can live with the double indices and the larger case size...
    The white OP39 was by a mile my favourite current Rolex and I'm particularly gutted it has been killed. It had elegant simplicity that I really do not think any of the current lineup encapsulate nearly as well. I'm completely not ready to pick one up right now, but may have to find a way in case prices go utterly ridiculous (not convinced they will for an OP though).

Blog Entries
    Luckily the 36mm DJ remains. I have a significant birthday coming up next year. I really am thinking about celebrating with this 36mm one - wife wears her DJ daily and I feel it's about time I grew up:

or an 126234 (roman numerals silver dial)

For the professional ranges - anyone outside watch forums I doubt would see any differences for these 2020 ranges - but then no-one outside these forums probably sees them anyway as you can't see 'Pro' models in store anyway.

I think the strategy is all about moving customers up the Rolex ladder. Sorry sir, no white dialled 39 OP, but how about a more expensive datejust.

41mm with some interesting colours will appeal to a younger more fashion conscious crowd that maybe will be new to the brand.

Out of all the range there is really only 1 ladies Sports watch and that is the YM. How I would love to see a 37mm version of the ND sub for my wife. I think they missing a trick there if they want to appeal to a younger market.

Journeyman
    I'm sorry to hear this! I agree with you entirely - the white and black OP 39 were my two favorites. I had recently been trying to get the black from an AD but sadly haven't had luck. I expect the prices are bound to go up a little with them discontinued but hopefully it will be possible to find them at a reasonable price before long. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperVM View Post
    The white OP39 was by a mile my favourite current Rolex and I'm particularly gutted it has been killed. It had elegant simplicity that I really do not think any of the current lineup encapsulate nearly as well. I'm completely not ready to pick one up right now, but may have to find a way in case prices go utterly ridiculous (not convinced they will for an OP though).

Master
    Thanks to Ablogtowatch for this photo of the new OP41 looking just a bit too big! It’s about as subtle as a fog horn.

On the plus side, the green 36mm model looks rather tasty in their pictures at the bottom of the page. I’m wondering if they’ve quietly refined the lugs on that one too.

Time for a caption competition? My entry: “HAVE YOU SEEN MY NEW ROLEX? IT’S A ROLEX. ROLEX!!!!
    Last edited by Itsguy; 2nd September 2020 at 14:50.

AD came through....

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Does the Pagani AD even have a waitlist now or is it just an expression of interest list

Journeyman
    Thanks for this. There goes my hope that the size increase might in actual point of fact end up being subtle enough that it might slim down the lugs as per the Submariner and still fit similarly to the 39.

The green is definitely nice, and it looks like the 36 (for me) will be the best option moving forward. Just a shame about those double indices...

Thanks to Ablogtowatch for this photo of the new OP41 looking just a bit too big! It’s about as subtle as a fog horn.

On the plus side, the green 36mm model looks rather tasty in their pictures at the bottom of the page. I’m wondering if they’ve quietly refined the lugs on that one too.

Time for a caption competition? My entry: “HAVE YOU SEEN MY NEW ROLEX? ROLEX!!!!”

Master
    AD came through....

In a parallel universe someone is picking up both the batman and Daytona, and hoping to get a TT DJ as a result!

Those double batons kill it for me.

Those double batons kill it for me.
    What is it about the batons? Others seem equally put out. I'm not sure I would notice them?
    The 36 OP turquoise dial looks great to me-would love to see one in the flesh and try it on. I was looking at the white dial before the revamp, but think the turquoise is great.

I feel the balance of the dial is out. It's bottom-half-heavy. My eyes are drawn to the bottom half of the dial and I think it's because the batons frame it that way. It makes the coronet look smaller and....unbalanced.

Just my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    What is it about the batons? Others seem equally put out. I'm not sure I would notice them?
    The 36 OP turquoise dial looks great to me-would love to see one in the flesh and try it on. I was looking at the white dial before the revamp, but think the turquoise is great.

Only the members with girly sized wrists - I personally find the 40mm case too small for a 7 3/4", and I have better things to do than stress about the thickness of a watch lug.

I do enjoy the 42mm Exp II, which is an ideal size for me.

Do we whinge and complain every time a motor manufacturer increases the next gen chassis by 50-75mm - no, it's evolution.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Only the members with girly sized wrists - I personally find the 40mm case too small for a 7 3/4", and I have better things to do than stress about the thickness of a watch lug.

Do we whinge and complain every time a motor manufacturer increases the next gen chassis by 50-75mm - no, it's evolution.
    Not quite sure how having fat wrists is evolution. The frustration is that the market is already saturated with dinner plates and yet the ability to source more modest sized watches continues to diminish. I think the change to the sub is immaterial but creating a jump from 36 to 41 in the OP seems strange, particularly when the DJ 41 has not long been released?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacamack View Post
    Not quite sure how having fat wrists is evolution. The frustration is that the market is already saturated with dinner plates and yet the ability to source more modest sized watches continues to diminish. I think the change to the sub is immaterial but creating a jump from 36 to 41 in the OP seems strange, particularly when the DJ 41 has not long been released?
    To you mean from 39 to 41? I think the OP range is still 34, 36 and 41 from memory (although not all colours are available in all sizes).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    The issue with the batons is that the now discontinued black and white OP39s had single batons, unlike the 36mm versions, and a lot of people liked the calm, ‘less is more’ harmony of that layout. But ‘less is more’ has never really been a Rolex slogan...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacamack View Post
    The frustration is that the market is already saturated with dinner plates and yet the ability to source more modest sized watches continues to diminish. I think the change to the sub is immaterial but creating a jump from 36 to 41 in the OP seems strange, particularly when the DJ 41 has not long been released?
    Agreed, they’ve fallen into the trap of leaving a huge gap between 36 and 41 when many would think the sweet spot was somewhere in between. But perhaps other posters are correct in thinking this paves the way for a white Explorer. They’re taking a leaf out of AP and VC’s book, as with the Royal Oak and Overseas, if you want one that’s actually the right size you have to pay extra.

Agreed that the sub change shouldn’t make that much difference to most people, though the gradual increase in the size of certain well known sport cars very much is something people go on about. And stressing about the thickness of a watch lug? You do realise this is Rolex we’re discussing? ;-)

Journeyman
    I think it's just a matter of taste with the OPs. I happen to prefer a more streamlined dial on my watches, and the OP 34 and OP 39 represented this beautifully; if you look at a white or black OP 39 the dial just looks really classic and clean in a way that not many Rolex watches do any more. The double indices to my mind detract from this, providing an unwelcome focal point further down the watch where previously the focal point was the Rolex crown at the top. If you look at vintage Rolex watches you will also find the more streamlined dial more common; the OP to me was a nice throwback to older, classic Rolex watches. It is however completely an aesthetic preference and I accept that not everyone might share this view.

As far as the Sub, the change in size is definitely not anything to lose one's head about. I think if the lugs ultimately look slimmer then the change probably will be for the best. But the issue is that Rolex seems to be pitching most of their sports watches now toward larger sizes. If you wanted a thick diver you always had the Sea Dweller as an option; what set the Submariner apart was its history and comparatively slimmer shape. So for some people it's a little sad that the Sub is trending larger and blockier and away from the elegance of its more classic styling. One doesn't need to have a 'girly sized wrist' to prefer a more vintage-inspired and classic look - the popularity of the Black Bay 58 showcases this pretty well.

The issue with the batons is that the now discontinued black and white OP39s had single batons, unlike the 36mm versions, and a lot of people liked the calm, ‘less is more’ harmony of that layout. But ‘less is more’ has never really been a Rolex slogan...

Agreed, they’ve fallen into the trap of leaving a huge gap between 36 and 41 when many would think the sweet spot was somewhere in between. But perhaps other posters are correct in thinking this paves the way for a white Explorer. They’re taking a leaf out of AP and VC’s book, as with the Royal Oak and Overseas, if you want one that’s actually the right size you have to pay extra.

Agreed that the sub change shouldn’t make that much difference to most people, though the gradual increase in the size of certain well known sport cars very much is something people go on about. And stressing about the thickness of a watch lug? You do realise this is Rolex we’re discussing? ;-)

Rolex Website - New 2020 Watches

The new Submariner does look better proportioned with the slightly slimmer lugs - although if it is 21mm I think it is a shame that it will be harder to find other straps to fit - but I suppose that would keep owners closer to the Mother Ship.
    When it comes to the new OP, overall I have to say that I do quite like the evolution of the range; the silver, blue, black and even the turquoise dials look good - hopefully we may get to see them in the metal at some point like in the old days...
    I like the fact that they have moved on to the blue chromalite lume and hands that actually reach the minute track.
    The update of the calibre to the new 32** does give quite an upgrade in terms of performance.
    However, I’ am not sure that I would ever want to be tied to Rolex for servicing which I believe the new 32** calibre will require so that rather kills it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adg31; 2nd September 2020 at 16:53.

Master
    I do. It's just about impossible to park in a marked parking bay and stay within the lines with even an average size car!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I do. It's just about impossible to park in a marked parking bay and stay within the lines with even an average size car!
    Lol. Me too. My X3 is bigger than the first X5s. Now the X5 is ridiculously big and there's an X7 that's even bigger. I really don't get my head around how these monsters can be in any way practical on today's roads and car parks.

Watchfinder now listing a 2015 Hulk for £18,450! Looks like the madness continues.

Journeyman
    That's a deal compared to some of the asking prices on Chrono24.....

The OP 39s in black and white appear to have started going up as well now that they can stick the the word 'discontinued!' in the heading. Still, they're comparatively cheap when compared to the Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Watchfinder now listing a 2015 Hulk for £18,450! Looks like the madness continues.

Blog Entries
    AD came through....

Looking at their site. . . no waiting lists! Tempting!!

So 24 hours after the releases - were ADs already stocked - has anyone picked anything up yet?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^On TRF, a guy in Spain has.

Waiting for a call but it will be a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Waiting for a call but it will be a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I thought they would have had a bunch avail for main outlets on day 1 so they get lots of mass exposure of real life on the wrist shots

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    ^^^^^^On TRF, a guy in Spain has.
    Well Mick P is a Rolex ambassador

So 24 hours after the releases - were ADs already stocked - has anyone picked anything up yet?
    Again, on TRF, a chap picking up a Cermit and yellow OP this weekend (I think US).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    🤭

Master
    Which of the OP colours appeal to you?

I thought they would have had a bunch avail for main outlets on day 1 so they get lots of mass exposure of real life on the wrist shots
    I reckon that's a bit optimistic here in the UK. It will be interesting to see who manages to get hold of these models over the coming days and from what sources.

Master
    I am tempted by a Green OP. I have asked about it and the dealer reckons they will be getting stock in four-six weeks time for that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Surely you mean ‘THE’ Rolex ambassador! It’s written in his contract - NEVER sell a Rolex 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Surely you mean ‘THE’ Rolex ambassador! It’s written in his contract - NEVER sell a Rolex 
    I did hear a rumour that he has an early 80s Explorer II but not been able to confirm it, you know how he hates to discuss these things

Rang my AD just after 9, confirmed I'm local (reasonable imo) and I've purchased something in the last two years, so expressed my interest in the green bezel.

Rang back today and also expressed interest in the ND and Explorer, in the hope it'll curry favour in the long run. Probably not though!