Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex Website - New 2020 Watches

Craftsman
    Sky-dweller on rubber looks silky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Silly

Sub ND is nearly perfect. Hulk is 'meh' in pics but let's see in the metal. OP at 41mm is too big as all dial and being honest seeing as Grand Seiko also have competing watches with a vast array of dial colours but made much better personally I think you'd be off your head to get an OP41 ahead of a GS Hi Beat or Spring Drive but that's just me. OP39 much better proportioned IMHO

Sub ND pick of the bunch for me and I'd definitely get one. An AD told me they expect good availability as well, not heavily restricted supply
    Last edited by ryanb741; 1st September 2020 at 07:32.

Master
    How could they put a oyster flex on a skydweller but not on a no date sub ???

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    This. Dumbest thing ever. Rubber on a skydweller

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Just shows I know nuffink
    Like others not sure there is very much to get excited about. The new Kermit is far nicer than the hulk but I don’t like green so the hulk was never for me. They have left the affordable blue diver with Tudor. I much prefer the slimmed down lugs but why make it 41mm??? Seems an odd decision. Someone mentioned the bracelet is now wider too? Why don’t they just put al the dimensions on the site!

My wallet is safe. Nothing there for my taste.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 1st September 2020 at 07:58.

Goodbye hulk. The waiting list for one has been extended from 7 years to......never :-(

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I agree, looks weird imho

All very Porsche 911..,bit bigger, newer engine...same high demand..

Like the new LV hope the 41 wears its girth well.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Lug width seems to be 21mm on the new sub.
    Same as the YM42 iirc.

Assuming they are same widths, some enterprising fellow will be able to get an oysterflex to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Sub ND is nearly perfect. Hulk is 'meh' in pics but let's see in the metal. OP at 41mm is too big as all dial and being honest seeing as Grand Seiko also have competing watches with a vast array of dial colours but made much better personally I think you'd be off your head to get an OP41 ahead of a GS Hi Beat or Spring Drive but that's just me. OP39 much better proportioned IMHO

Sub ND pick of the bunch for me and I'd definitely get one. An AD told me they expect good availability as well, not heavily restricted supply
    I agree- ND looks about perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4x2jqNF8s0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Like others not sure there is very much to get excited about. The new Kermit is far nicer than the hulk but I don’t like green so the hulk was never for me. They have left the affordable blue diver with Tudor. I much prefer the slimmed down lugs but why make it 41mm??? Seems an odd decision. Someone mentioned the bracelet is now wider too? Why don’t they just put al the dimensions on the site!

My wallet is same. Nothing there for my taste.
    My thoughts exactly

Craftsman
    I think the LV will be one of those watches that looks way better in the flesh than in the images-the old one did too (Kermit). I'm just happy they've gotten rid of the old fat lugged case, it really didn't look right to my eyes.

The OP39mm has been quite a short lived run hasn't it-5 years? I fancy some of them will become sought after in years to come, the grape dials and black and white in particular,

Adios to the Hulk however, despite it's crappy case the dial was a work of art and I'll be interested to see what the premiums will fetch over the next few years.

Blog Entries
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned - but has the dial dimensions changed at all. Perhaps retrofit a Hulk dial to the new LV...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    I think the LV will be one of those watches that looks way better in the flesh than in the images-the old one did too (Kermit). I'm just happy they've gotten rid of the old fat lugged case, it really didn't look right to my eyes.

The OP39mm has been quite a short lived run hasn't it-5 years? I fancy some of them will become sought after in years to come, the grape dials and black and white in particular,

Adios to the Hulk however, despite it's crappy case the dial was a work of art and I'll be interested to see what the premiums will fetch over the next few years.
    Noticed a grey seller just sold his 2 new hulks for £20k each this morning. Absolutely crazy!

I wonder if the skydweller oysterflex would fit the older bracelet versions. Probably not, and agree doesnt look great. But it lowers the price of the full gold skydweller.

The 41 ops are interesting and some nice dial colours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    This. Sub on Oysterflex runaway best seller or an opportunity for aftermarket sales.

Master
    I know it’s unlikely but hypothetically if one was offered a new steel Submariner from today onwards, would it automatically be the new model, or might the old ones still be shipped to ADs?

Master
    Look like my favourite model is gone, the m116000-0002, OP36 with tri-arabics.

Craftsman

Bezel

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned - but has the dial dimensions changed at all. Perhaps retrofit a Hulk dial to the new LV...
    Read somewhere this morning that the bezel and dial appeared to have had a small tweak to balance out the case increase but that just may be the images currently available giving a false impression of any bezel changes.

Case height is the unchanged, unsure on lug to lug but would assume minimal with only the 1mm case size increase. Bracelet is up to 21mm giving less of a taper and more balanced look.

Looking at the comparison images between this new release and outgoing, the new model in my eyes is an upgrade at every level from the bloated super case and a welcome return of a more classic Submariner.

Owners of the super case may not agree, the super case has been popular since it’s inception over a decade ago but maybe that was due to what was available from a Rolex rather than sporting a design classic, which I feel the super case departed from to fit a fashion moment of bigger watches.

Whether Rolex felt the Supercase was a bad design it has been clear for the past couple of years that they felt the need to move away from that square look and too create a better profiled watch, which they gave with the upgraded DSSD, Sea dweller etc and now returned the iconic Sub to a more defined classic look.

No doubt sellers at this very moment will be looking to ride the Rolex super case discontinued price jump that follows every discontinued model these days but time will tell if the Supercase retains the desired value or if the return to the classic Rolex with these new releases places the Supercase as a Fashion moment that Rolex was happy to dump.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    Noticed a grey seller just sold his 2 new hulks for £20k each this morning. Absolutely crazy!

I wonder if the skydweller oysterflex would fit the older bracelet versions. Probably not, and agree doesnt look great. But it lowers the price of the full gold skydweller.

The 41 ops are interesting and some nice dial colours.

Are you sure they 'sold' rather them making as such to drive prices? WF still have one for 14,750 so i dont think we are there yet

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EdHughes1 View Post
    I know it’s unlikely but hypothetically if one was offered a new steel Submariner from today onwards, would it automatically be the new model, or might the old ones still be shipped to ADs?

depends if it was new stock or a histrical delivery. Last sub delivery was late July / early August from what i was told and a late August delivery to a well know group had no Subs, in prep for this announcement.

Master

Rolex Website - New 2020 Watches

Everyone’s a winner, a lot of people like the new slimmer case profile, supercase discontinued which means legacy confirmed, 5 digit subs are now even more classic etc etc. Win win all round, in Rolex we trust!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Read somewhere this morning that the bezel and dial appeared to have had a small tweak to balance out the case increase but that just may be the images currently available giving a false impression of any bezel changes.

Case height is the unchanged, unsure on lug to lug but would assume minimal with only the 1mm case size increase. Bracelet is up to 21mm giving less of a taper and more balanced look.

Looking at the comparison images between this new release and outgoing, the new model in my eyes is an upgrade at every level from the bloated super case and a welcome return of a more classic Submariner.

Owners of the super case may not agree, the super case has been popular since it’s inception over a decade ago but maybe that was due to what was available from a Rolex rather than sporting a design classic, which I feel the super case departed from to fit a fashion moment of bigger watches.

Whether Rolex felt the Supercase was a bad design it has been clear for the past couple of years that they felt the need to move away from that square look and too create a better profiled watch, which they gave with the upgraded DSSD, Sea dweller etc and now returned the iconic Sub to a more defined classic look.

No doubt sellers at this very moment will be looking to ride the Rolex super case discontinued price jump that follows every discontinued model these days but time will tell if the Supercase retains the desired value or if the return to the classic Rolex with these new releases places the Supercase as a Fashion moment that Rolex was happy to dump.
    My thoughts exactly. The only anomaly for me is GMT. Is it due another refresh? Does the jubilee bracelets count as a new design for them? Did they feel the Sub had to lead out the thinner design? Rolex made a point of the "re-profiled lugs" at the BLRO's launch (every publication mentioned it), so they're aware of the criticism, but I honestly can't see any change to it. Admittedly, as someone who hates that period of bloated design (DJ2, DD2, Ceramic Sub etc. ect.) the GMT always seemed "okay"... which I've never understood.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=LaurasOtherHalf;5519547

Adios to the Hulk however, despite it's crappy case the dial was a work of art and I'll be interested to see what the premiums will fetch over the next few years.[/QUOTE]

Some watches are truly timeless and transcend fashion taste and hype. Rolex has made a number of such watches over the years but the Hulk and the just as ridiculous named Smurf for me do not enter into that category.

You will get the now standard post discontinued price hype which follows every Rolex discontinued model now, as everyone fears that they could miss out on the next Rolex phenomena investment return or whatever the dealers tell these suckers. With the return to the classic black dials on the Submariner range and the reshaped case design Rolex have recaptured the classic look it lost with the coloured dials bulked up case and these new releases will be the classic for the future and not the outgoing Hulk and Smurf caricatures of the past.
    Last edited by Flasher; 1st September 2020 at 09:04. Reason: Error

At least they have seen sense with the beefy lugs going on the Sub, saying that the hour plots still look too big to me compared to the hands..

I’ll stick with vintage thanks..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Are you sure they 'sold' rather them making as such to drive prices? WF still have one for 14,750 so i dont think we are there yet
    Good point. I just saw what was posted, which may not reflect the truth.

The watch they should have made 10 years ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    At least they have seen sense with the beefy lugs going on the Sub, saying that the hour plots still look too big to me compared to the hands..

I’ll stick with vintage thanks..
    Agreed re lugs but I think they could have slimmed down the crown guards to match and given better overall proportions.

Nothing here to tempt me at all now they have discontinued the white dial OP 36.

Hideous colours on those OP's, doubling the batons has really naffed them up, not cool. Bad Rolex.

Apprentice
    Sad to see another march towards the larger sizes, particularly the discontinuation of the OP39 which was a real sweet spot as far as I was concerned.

Pleased that my Hulk and OP39 Grape have now been added to the list of timepieces made from unobtanium. Both have been willed to relatives so they were never going to be sold but it's good to think that their values will continue to hold up, although they are becoming increasingly expensive to insure now!

Air king not dropped?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Agreed re lugs but I think they could have slimmed down the crown guards to match and given better overall proportions.
    They did.

Master
    Time to grab the soon to be sought after classic black or white dialled Oyster Perpetual 39, a short lived model replaced by an oversized (for many) alternative, that appears in photos to have less pleasing proportions.

I’ll award myself a point for saying slimmer lugs on the sub, I should have guessed that would involve making it larger too!

The green is brighter than it looked in the pdf

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It’s almost as if the theme was bright colours. I hoped for a slightly darker tone

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Look like my favourite model is gone, the m116000-0002, OP36 with tri-arabics.
    Arguably it’s the last 36 explorer, even though it’s not, but it actually is......time to snap one up if you want one otherwise those could get a bit more expensive (I don’t have one)

Craftsman

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    The watch they should have made 10 years ago.
    I think many will agree with you and this will be factor on the value of the outgoing models. A bulky mistake that Rolex have been looking to get rid off for a number of years without admitting as such or do they represent a glorious moment for the Submariner.

We probably already know the answer!

If you could buy a hulk at £14,500 today, would you do it?

Master
    I have been saved the disappointment of not being able to get one of the new releases. There’s nothing I want!

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Well I guess a new Sub is big news, so nothing else of note. The yachtmaster is still 40mm, the Explorer 2 still has a steel bezel, the Milgauss lives on, as does the deep sea.

Was there anything else significant that I missed?

Question

Press launch pics from this morning??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    They did.
    Okay, hadn’t registered! Crown guards still look too blocky to me.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 1st September 2020 at 10:39.

Craftsman
    Actually I prefer the old super case of my SubC ND. Those will increase in value for sure.

But the price keeps creeping up. I bought mine for £5k four years ago, now the new model is £6,450. That's almost 30% up. Now the secondary price will depend on supply of the new model, so wait and see.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It’s the sub I’ve been waiting for for a while, but what’s the point? It may as well just be a digital render, I’ll never be able to get one.

That blue looks horrific - almost brighter than Pelagos blue

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Press launch pics from this morning??
    Yes. There are live pics from the usual outlets - rolexpassionreport and sjxwatxhes on Instagram.

Another pic of the blue Sub from SJX

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    If you could buy a hulk at £14,500 today, would you do it?
    My predictions are more often wrong than right but can’t see buying at that price being an “investment”.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    My predictions are more often wrong than right but can’t see buying at that price being an “investment”.
    I think a lot of the discontinued premium has been built into the market for some time now

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    So that's a dead cert profit then !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dont like that blue Sub at all. Kind of looks like a knock off in those real pics!, the blue is too vibrant

The new Hulk with black dial looks very nice in the real pics which suprised me (looked dull on the Rolex site)

I for one actually liked the older 'boxer' style no date Sub, but missed the boat in getting one, now happy with the BB58 instead.

Actually like the new 36mm OP in the sunburst blue and happy they've drooped the 2,6,9 version. Doubt I'll get the chance to see one, as from what I was told pre-announcement 36mm OP now in demand.