closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex Website - New 2020 Watches

Master
    AD where I purchased my ND from emailed me on Tuesday - looks like the standard mail to any previous Rolex customer, offering ‘ We kindly ask if you would like to register your interest, (for up to two Rolex timepieces)’

So today I called in today, manager who I had emailed Tuesday evening was off!

A member of staff let me in, mentioned the overwhelming interest & that book was probably full, I showed him the email chain from Tuesday with manager so he took my details down on a form.
    I decided to go for either or both the new ND or Green Sub, during the process he noticed my ND on my wrist & confirmed it was purchased in 2016 from them.

During the visit we looked at other models in the range & had a generally long chat about likes & dislikes of the various combinations of the brand. When I arrived home he had emailed me & copied in the manager as promised. Looking at his signature on the email this fellow was not one of the sales assistants but the MD, so our time can be taken one of two ways. Hopefully he sees me as an enthusiast who enjoys the brand & not a chump looking for a quick profit

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    AD where I purchased my ND from emailed me on Tuesday - looks like the standard mail to any previous Rolex customer, offering ‘ We kindly ask if you would like to register your interest, (for up to two Rolex timepieces)’

So today I called in today, manager who I had emailed Tuesday evening was off!

A member of staff let me in, mentioned the overwhelming interest & that book was probably full, I showed him the email chain from Tuesday with manager so he took my details down on a form.
    I decided to go for either or both the new ND or Green Sub, during the process he noticed my ND on my wrist & confirmed it was purchased in 2016 from them.

During the visit we looked at other models in the range & had a generally long chat about likes & dislikes of the various combinations of the brand. When I arrived home he had emailed me & copied in the manager as promised. Looking at his signature on the email this fellow was not one of the sales assistants but the MD, so our time can be taken one of two ways. Hopefully he sees me as an enthusiast who enjoys the brand & not a chump looking for a quick profit
    What are people's thoughts on the percentage of "purist selling to watch owners" vs. "pumps out panerais [or insert other brand] in exchange for rolex allocation"? It feels to me 95% fall into the 2nd camp (and I would never buy a watch with the intention of selling and have only ever sold one watch after years of having it- an Omega)

Master
    26,150 euros there’s a new Kermit up for sale just seen on FB. Total madness but I guess someone will pay that or near to it, to have one of the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    26,150 euros there’s a new Kermit up for sale just seen on FB. Total madness but I guess someone will pay that or near to it, to have one of the first.
    Rolex should buy that and then strip the AD of their dealership and do some big marketing as a warning to others.

Master
    The cure for Rolexitis:

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
    ...have only ever sold one watch after years of having it- an Omega)
    Excellent form. But unusual for this parish.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    The cure for Rolexitis:

Swatch group and Richemont... Thx but no thx.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Swatch group and Richemont... Thx but no thx.
    Close...

Zenith is LVMH :P

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Close...

Zenith is LVMH :P
    What Zenith!?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    The cure for Rolexitis:

2 absolute crackers there Mr Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    What Zenith!?
    Lol i forgot John has a Tribute to Deep Sea... im the one with the CP-2

They look the same on a phone screen Ha Ha.
    (Makes more sense when you consider I took a similar pic)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Lol i forgot John has a Tribute to Deep Sea... im the one with the CP-2

They look the same on a phone screen Ha Ha.
    (Makes more sense when you consider I took a similar pic)
    Think John sold his CP-2 Mike.
    Keep up

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It’s easy to forget that the bulk of Rolex buyers are not enthusiasts, they just want a Rolex watch. We are a small minority. Sad really.
    I’m not sure what the difference is? The small minority just want a Rolex watch and the bulk of Rolex buyers just want a Rolex watch. But I do agree, it’s sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Think John sold his CP-2 Mike.
    Keep up
    More the case I took a similar pic, and the CP-2 looks the same when its on a tiny screen.
    So honest mistake.

You should know that feeling of identical looking watches Jim :p

Got offered the ND Sub for delivery to AD tomorrow. Turned it down as I'm keeping my Breguet Marine instead. The OPs are a few weeks away they said.

This was a Thai AD btw.

Quote Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
    What are people's thoughts on the percentage of "purist selling to watch owners" vs. "pumps out panerais [or insert other brand] in exchange for rolex allocation"? It feels to me 95% fall into the 2nd camp (and I would never buy a watch with the intention of selling and have only ever sold one watch after years of having it- an Omega)
    What is a purist and how does one become one? People are spouting so much rubbish in name of Rolex, it is mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Rolex should buy that and then strip the AD of their dealership and do some big marketing as a warning to others.
    Your assumption being the AD knowingly sold it to a flipper. Once the customer walks out of the store it's their watch to do what they want with it, can't blame the AD without knowing they actually did something wrong (i.e. if Bob the Sales Associate is the one selling it for Ł23k..).

Craftsman

Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    $21.5k for a standard black bezel just arrived on TRF sales.

Prices being asked like the 26kEuro or 22kDollar for the new release Submariner watch are truly shake your head in disbelief moments. A lot of buyers are aware that Rolex currently is hugely hyped with prices bordering on the ridiculous but buyers still do not want to miss out for whatever reason that drives them and are supposedly paying these prices, although I am not convinced on that.

Until recently the watch market was competitive amongst the big players with buyers looking at multiple brands for a purchase, Rolex was in the mix but was not the dominant. All change over probably the past 4/5 years and a Rolex is now dominant with all other brands trying to Match the market recognition which has normally involved looking to match them on pricing but this has failed as they are then seen as being overpriced and left on the shelf.

Like all fashion because for many that is what Watch purchases are now, moves on at some point and maybe Rolex will experience their Burberry moment and this would translate into the dip or maybe even bigger adjustments the Secondary market feels is never going to happen. Nobody ever believes the good time’s will stop but when it does, we all look around and ask the same thing, “ How did that happen” or “ Never seen that coming”

Ł10k here in the UK for a steel Datejust etc makes me laugh, never mind the Ł20k+ Hulks or Daytona’s but if you have to have it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Your assumption being the AD knowingly sold it to a flipper. Once the customer walks out of the store it's their watch to do what they want with it, can't blame the AD without knowing they actually did something wrong.
    Last week someone on eBay had 2 recently acquired Rolex watches for sale. He advertised as "unsized" which to me suggests that that particular supplying AD had a pretty good idea where they were heading.

Craftsman

AD

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Last week someone on eBay had 2 recently acquired Rolex watches for sale. He advertised as "unsized" which to me suggests that that particular supplying AD had a pretty good idea where they were heading.
    AD’s like every other Sales person in every other sales environment are generally only interested in the Sale. Get the sale from the buyer and put the commission in your next pay packet. Whether the goods end up at WF, eBay etc via the supposedly VIP or just their family member banking the profit, I do not believe they could care less, the Sale is what it is about for any Sales person.
    Last edited by Flasher; 6th September 2020 at 21:48. Reason: Error.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Every Rolex I've ever bought has been bought unsized, but that's due to the size of my wrists. Could just be a big boy flipping and AD is nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    AD’s like every other Sales person in every other sales environment is only interested in the Sale. Get the cash from the buyer and get the commission in your next pay packet. Whether the goods end up at WF, eBay etc via the supposedly VIP or just their family member banking the profit, I do not believe they could care less, the Sale is all it is about.
    That's an incredibly short sighted view of sales and the people working in sales environments.

Your assumption being the AD knowingly sold it to a flipper. Once the customer walks out of the store it's their watch to do what they want with it, can't blame the AD without knowing they actually did something wrong (i.e. if Bob the Sales Associate is the one selling it for Ł23k..).
    My assumption is that this is a brand new release and possibly the first watch that the AD has received and you would expect the lucky buyer to be told that they do not want to see this watch on the secondary market 10 mins after leaving the shop.

The alternative assumption is probably what a lot on here suspect goes on, on a daily basis.

Either way, Rolex would still be entitled to kick ass.

Master
    I’m completely wrong

AD’s like every other Sales person in every other sales environment is only interested in the Sale....they could care less, the Sale is all it is about.
    It must be a heavy burden, being so miserable and so wrong.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I’m completely wrong
    Link?
    never mind :)
    Last edited by phil h; 6th September 2020 at 16:22. Reason: Previous poster too quick

Craftsman

Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    It must be a heavy burden, being so miserable and so wrong.
    “Wrong”, maybe but in my view not far away, it is in the title “Sale”.

“Miserable”, quite an assumption to take from some Watch Talk speak on this Joyous Sunday as I sit with Frozen 2 on the TV and Jesus in my heart but as Granny always said, “Whatever”. She did have an extra line after that but will omit that in case I get banned!
    Last edited by Flasher; 6th September 2020 at 18:05. Reason: Error

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    My assumption is that this is a brand new release and possibly the first watch that the AD has received and you would expect the lucky buyer to be told that they do not want to see this watch on the secondary market 10 mins after leaving the shop.

The alternative assumption is probably what a lot on here suspect goes on, on a daily basis.

Either way, Rolex would still be entitled to kick ass.
    Yup, they may well ask and your suspicions may well be true. But it's one thing to suspect, acting surely requires some decent evidence.

I imagine there's a lot of folk who may love the watch and have a bunch of Rolex, but would nevertheless flip one given the chance at these ridiculous, short-term (hopefully) prices. ADs aren't mind-readers and can't control a thing once it leaves the store.

Journeyman
    Amazing you turned down the opportunity to flip for double its money congratulations

AD’s like every other Sales person in every other sales environment are generally only interested in the Sale. Get the sale from the buyer and put the commission in your next pay packet. Whether the goods end up at WF, eBay etc via the supposedly VIP or just their family member banking the profit, I do not believe they could care less, the Sale is what it is about for any Sales person.
    Bollocks. Rolex ADs are under much more pressure as regards profiteering buyers, their Rolex franchise is at stake - quite different from other brands / sales people. The ADs I use don't sell to just anyone, they spend time reviewing and deciding who they sell to.

Craftsman
    Was offered a 126610LN for just shy of Ł20K this afternoon from a small grey dealer.

I very politely declined.

I did want to try it on for size and overall wrist aesthetics, but decided not to engage further.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Was offered a 126610LN for just shy of Ł20K this afternoon from a small grey dealer.

I very politely declined.

I did want to try it on for size and overall wrist aesthetics, but decided not to engage further.
    well the grey market has to start somewhere, after many say no, the prices will fall, and keep falling.

Craftsman

Journey.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Bollocks. Rolex ADs are under much more pressure as regards profiteering buyers, their Rolex franchise is at stake - quite different from other brands / sales people. The ADs I use don't sell to just anyone, they spend time reviewing and deciding who they sell to.

We can safely say then that none of the Rolex’s your AD sells to their reviewed and not just anyone clients end up being flipped on the Secondary market? Your AD follows each sold Rolex’s journey to ensure no flipping from their reviewed clients, well that is what I call after service or maybe in your words, Bollocks.

Master
    More pictures are emerging showing how the Oyster Perpetual 36 / 41s colours appear in real life, and they are starting to look very appealing. Less bright than the candy coloured promotional picture, the blue and green could be real winners. The blue has a classic sunburst, while the green appears to have a lovely deep and rich, autumnal / festive (or if you prefer ‘colour of money’) feeling. As an owner of a green dialled GS, it’s a colour that really hits the spot as the nights get longer.

I think they may have tweaked the colours in the promotional picture of all six so they all look similarly bright, so I’ll be interested to see how these look in real life. The blue OP39 was always a lovely watch blighted by questionable contrasting lume, so it’s good they’ve sorted that out, even if they have unfortunately inflated the case size. The 36 though, might just be perfect.

Last edited by Itsguy; 8th September 2020 at 11:23.

Well played Rolex....limit supply of in demand watches so much the OP is now becoming popular, datejust 41's are already hard to get in certain configurations. One day in a university market class there will be entire lectures on the Rolex method.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgeme View Post
    Well played Rolex....limit supply of in demand watches so much the OP is now becoming popular, datejust 41's are already hard to get in certain configurations. One day in a university market class there will be entire lectures on the Rolex method.
    Can’t agree with that. For some Rolex is all about the professional range, but there are plenty of people who appreciate the Datejust and Oyster Perpetual, the latter having a calm and understated quality that catches more of the original vintage spirit of the brand than some of the flashier alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    Genuine question, why would someone choose the Oyster Perpetual over the Explorer which is just a few hundred pounds more expensive? Is it the dial colour variations available, easier to get etc? Do they hold their value?
    Why should someone buy the Explorer in preference?

Genuine question.

Master
    The OP36 is a great size although, as for the 36mm Explorer, I think 37.5mm might just be absolutely perfect. On a side note, as for the 39mm Explorer, the simple dial design of the OP struggled to fill the 39mm, so I have low expectations for the OP41, which I expect will also look enormous on many wrists.

When I’ve handled the previous OP36s, I’ve always been slightly underwhelmed, both by the finishing and the overall aspect, but I do like the look of the La Californienne homages (and, no, I don’t think Rolex suddenly decided to turn to the Stellas for inspiration). Having seen some macro footage of them, the finishing also looks extremely good, so I wonder if that’s been upped a notch this time round. My concerns are (i) whether these could be worn as a daily watch or whether they will be a little tiring on the eye after a while and (ii) they will be instantly recognisable to the thieving pond-scum operating in some cities.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 9th September 2020 at 07:57.

Journeyman
    Genuine question, why would someone choose the Oyster Perpetual over the Explorer which is just a few hundred pounds more expensive? Is it the dial colour variations available, easier to get etc? Do they hold their value?
    I much prefer the dial of the Explorer with the arabic numerals. That's why I bought one (214270). But it's black only and it turned out to be duller than I wanted and black is just not for me. The sunburst blue in the OP is stunning and really tempting but I'd also like to see that new turquoise colour in the flesh. Now that's as bold a Rolex as one will find!

Also I'm a fairly big lad with 7.5" wrists and the 41mm of these new OP would suit me better than the 39mm of the Explorer

I agree with you, but unfortunatly those people will no have to suffer the samelack of supply as the professional model aficionados.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgeme View Post
    I agree with you, but unfortunatly those people will no have to suffer the samelack of supply as the professional model aficionados.
    I think the bigger size OP (say in blue) were mostly waiting list too, even the older ones before the new ones were announced this month.

Master
    When I tried the Explorer I found it slightly oversized. But the OP36 in the right colour could make a great flexible daily wearer, that dresses up well and is as close to vintage Rolex as anything they currently make. The 41 is a very different proposition of course...

On paper the OP is better. The Explorer use to one-up it with the easy-link clasp, now the OP has that and one-up's the Explorer with the new movement. So if you set aesthetics aside then the OP is a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why should someone buy the Explorer in preference?

Genuine question.
    Personal preference on the aesthetics.

On paper the OP is better. The Explorer use to one-up it with the easy-link clasp, now the OP has that and one-up's the Explorer with the new movement. So if you set aesthetics aside then the OP is a better deal.

Personal preference on the aesthetics.
    The fact the Explorer is a sports model and the OP isn’t makes a huge difference to desirability.

The OP is also the entry level model into a Rolex.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    The fact the Explorer is a sports model and the OP isn’t makes a huge difference to desirability.

Would anyone care to explain that to me. I've never really understood what is meant by Rolex sports models (I get the diving watches are obviously sports watches) and as such I don't understand why an OP is not sports and an Explorer (not Explorer 2 - I get that) is sports

Bring back Skyman

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Bring back Skyman
    Haha +1

Master
    Well you can play golf in the sport watches. Or climb a mountain or go swimming...do that with an OP and it will fall to pieces.

On a serious note, I usually feel more comfortable using the so called sport model as the safety clasp is more reassuring!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Well you can play golf in the sport watches. Or climb a mountain or go swimming...do that with an OP and it will fall to pieces.
    It's late and my sarcasm meter might be failing, but surely not? And as for climbing a mountain, wasn't the watch that Hillary wore up Everest just an OP as they hadn't invented the "Explorer" name for it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

True. It's completely illogical as there's nothing more sporty about the Explorer, but the mythical 'sports' tag does carry weight. OP is pitched as the entry level and is priced to match, but I'd stand by my previous comment that on paper the new generation is technically superior.

I really like the Explorer by the way.