closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Everest 36 or Everest Expedition 36?

Apprentice

Everest 36 or Everest Expedition 36?

I like the look of both of these watches, but can reasonably only afford to purchase one of them. The Everest has an amazing look, but it is an homage… The expedition also looks amazing, but I wonder if the light numbers will wash out and not be super legible at a quick glance. If you have one or both of these watches, could you give me a little advice please. Thanks!

Master
    Good morning and welcome to the forum.

I have a white dial Everest, I have never noticed the numbers fading or ant lack of contrast between the ground and the number. As a choice between the two I think its just personal taste. Many people select the Everest black dial as it looks similar to the 1016. I went for the white dial as A ) I liked the clean look, B ) I wanted another white dial watch in my collection.

The correct, and indeed only solution, is to buy both.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I bought the Everest because it is the best 1016 homage, ever. The backstory on Smiths watches and Everest is also interesting. Finally Timefactors make the best value watches you can buy.
    If you'd prefer not to have a homage, the Expedition might be a better option. That said I would consider the Expedition a homage too, to an earlier Smith model. It just so happens that the names on the dial match up.
    I don't think you can go wrong with either watch. Ae magirus suggested maybe the best solution is buy both. If you decide you don't like one or the other you won't struggle to find someone to take unwanted watch off your hands.

Having both the Everest and Everest Exhibition I find that they are both excellent timepieces, but the Exhibition feels to me to have more of a dress watch vibe and the Everest leans towards the tool watch feel.

But that's just my opinion, everyone is different .

Apprentice

Thanks for the advice👍

I’m still kinda on the fence. Not sure if buying two watches would be good for my health as I’m a married man! Anyways I think it may be the Expedition as the details pop in the macro shots. I just worry that they may not show so well in real life. But no risk-no reward! I just have to wait like everyone else for Eddie’s shipment to arrive.

Journeyman
    My preference will be black Everest as I don't have a black dial watch, you could argue it is homage or replica of 1016, each to their own.

Apprentice

Good Choice

Homage, Shmomage! It's a pretty watch and it is not like any watch currently in production. It would be a great watch to have and to wear while canoeing, boating, swimming or just going about your daily routine. I've been saving some money for a Tudor Black Bay 36. If I got the black Smiths - would I still want the Tudor??? My brain hurts

“Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so.
    You're entirely Bonkers.
    But I will tell you a secret,
    All the best people are.”
    ― Alice in wonderland, Alice in Wonderland

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Larimus View Post
    Homage, Shmomage! It's a pretty watch and it is not like any watch currently in production. It would be a great watch to have and to wear while canoeing, boating, swimming or just going about your daily routine. I've been saving some money for a Tudor Black Bay 36. If I got the black Smiths - would I still want the Tudor??? My brain hurts

“Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so.
    You're entirely Bonkers.
    But I will tell you a secret,
    All the best people are.”
    ― Alice in wonderland, Alice in Wonderland
    Lol I'm on same boat with you too, I have saved up enough to get smith Everest, to get BB I have to save longer since they so much expensive.
    However I can get Smith now, furthermore smith is a rare opportunity to get them, why miss it if we be able grab it in 2 weeks times.
    If you decided to not keeping it, it is always easy to sell smith ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by billa84 View Post
    Lol I'm on same boat with you too, I have saved up enough to get smith Everest, to get BB I have to save longer since they so much expensive.
    However I can get Smith now, furthermore smith is a rare opportunity to get them, why miss it if we be able grab it in 2 weeks times.
    If you decided to not keeping it, it is always easy to sell smith ;)
    Tudor BB36 was the most disappointing 'posh' watch I've owned - I persuaded myself I was buying a 1016 reincarnation; but it lacked a 'tool' vibe - it somehow felt too 'fussy' in execution; the crown being a good example, but also too 'glittery'. It was also really oddly thick and heavy (no doubt to appeal to the market that talks of 'wrist presence' and normally wears hockey-puck-sized watches!)
    One thing that doesn't come across in photos is that the writing on the dial is silver, rather than white - as such, it's invisible at some angles/lights and the dial loses its visual 'balance'.
    The lume, like Rolex, was rubbish.

...other than that, all good😂

If Rolex wasn't behind Tudor the BB wouldn't be any different to NTH.

What Rolex knows is that every single Tudor owner will eventually want and will get a Rolex. Welcome to the machine.

Apprentice

Everest Expedition

I have the Expedition and a PRS 29A. I find the numerals very readable on both. The Expedition is one of my of my favorite watch’s

Apprentice

It was the Expedition!

I made my decision and went with the Expedition - This time! The Everest will have to wait a few months. I did stop by the Tudor retailer in my area. I was surprised to find out that the 40mm Black Bay bracelet fit my 8.25" wrist, but I was unable to even fit my hand through the bracelet of the 36mm. Extra links are only $56 each

Bought both.

(I hope!)

Total price around half the Seiko I was trying to buy.

I went for the Expedition too and thought I'd add to the thread's wonderful array of photos...
    ...oh, I've a 6.5 inch wrist - and I do wear it on the wrong wrist.
    Last edited by fm.tz; 22nd September 2020 at 11:55.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fm.tz View Post
    I went for the Expedition too and thought I'd add to the thread's wonderful array of photos...
    Very nice - what strap is that ?

Expedition for me aswell. Beautiful it is too. Love the light catching the blued hands and for my wrist the correct size

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Very nice - what strap is that ?
    Thank you. I wanted a dark leather strap and I liked the red/blue accents in the stitching. It's from Watch Gecko.

https://www.watchgecko.com/vintage-w...er-watch-strap

Tempus non expectat virum et aestus.
    Last edited by fm.tz; 22nd September 2020 at 12:39.

Journeyman
    Looks awesome on that strap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Expedition for me aswell. Beautiful it is too. Love the light catching the blued hands and for my wrist the correct size

Really lovely photos.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Really lovely photos.

Cheers, just done with my phone. A dusk one here

...oh, I've a 6.5 inch wrist - and I do wear it on the CORRECT wrist, unlike 90% of the population who get it wrong.
    Fixed that quote for you.

Apprentice

Gorgeous Pictures!

Your pictures are amazing! You are making a normally relaxed and laid back fellow anxious to receive his watch! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    A perfect pair. Put the expedition on a leather strap and you’ve got the only 2 watches you’ll ever need....!

The cases look a bit like Omega service cases and a lot nicer than the old 2 compartment travel cases that these used to come in

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk