closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Cautionary Tale to Breitling Owners and Anyone Considering

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Read up, he says he has never had them replaced, and his picture shows worn small tabs. They don’t look like tarnish from loss of plating. Looks like original tabs that have lost lustre from one too many polish from services.
    Mate with respect, continuously repeating the same thing doesn't make it true.

Yes the OP has said he never had it replaced. Nobody is missing that, it's literally the whole point of the issue. They were either replaced without his consent (which is what the majority of us have interpreted his post to mean), or they weren't (your interpretation). If it's not the former, I really don't understand what the complaint is. As I said in my last post, we need Swalk to confirm one way or another, anything else is just guesswork.

Very little can be gleamed from looking at a tiny picture, compared to a different watch (the hands are completely difference sizes too - did those wear away?), taken at an unknown time (OP didn't specify if this was yesterday or 10 years ago).

Master

A Cautionary Tale to Breitling Owners and Anyone Considering

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Mate with respect, continuously repeating the same thing doesn't make it true.

Yes the OP has said he never had it replaced. Nobody is missing that, it's literally the whole point of the issue. They were either replaced without his consent (which is what the majority of us have interpreted his post to mean), or they weren't (your interpretation). If it's not the former, I really don't understand what the complaint is. As I said in my last post, we need Swalk to confirm one way or another, anything else is just guesswork.

Very little can be gleamed from looking at a tiny picture, compared to a different watch (the hands are completely difference sizes too - did those wear away?), taken at an unknown time (OP didn't specify if this was yesterday or 10 years ago).
    You think his picture could be from 10 years ago rather than a more recent one, what would be the point of that if he is complaining about tarnishing now, but he is showing us a photo that is not reflective of its current condition but from 10 years ago, no logic in that, you are just arguing for the sake of it. And look at my picture from post 98, the unpolished tab vs his clearly overly polish melted chocolate tabs that is exactly the same chronomat model from 1994. But mate whatever, you win, I also cannot be bothered anymore discussing with you and slow down on the posting why you in such a rush?
    Last edited by ac11111; 28th August 2020 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    You are also "a relative newbie here", and as we have seen time and time again, being a "well established member" is no guarantee of knowledge, wisdom, decency or common sense.

I generally try to treat people with some respect and consideration and if I don't like what they are saying, just move on; on this occasion, however, I get peeved when you claim to be talking for me when you say "we don't view favourable new members..." - that might be the view of some/many/most, but not all.
    You do not talk for me. I, for one, am pleased to hear about what might be dodgy practice by brands and or dealers, whether it is a member's first or hundredth post.
    That’s well put.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    This ^^^^^ It's not the first time someone has signed up to multiple sites to have a moan - usually without posting all the relevant correspondence.
    Exactly

Blog Entries

You think his picture could be from 10 years ago rather than a more recent one, what would be the point of that if he is complaining about tarnishing now, but he is showing us a photo that is not reflective of its current condition but from 10 years ago, no logic in that, you are just arguing for the sake of it. And look at my picture from post 98, the unpolished tab vs his clearly overly polish melted chocolate tabs that is exactly the same chronomat model from 1994. But mate whatever, you win, I also cannot be bothered anymore discussing with you and slow down on the posting why you in such a rush?
    Slow down my posting? Seems like more needless abuse aimed at new members based on post count. Does the same standard not apply to you, given you have more posts on the thread than anyone?

If you don't want to discuss with me, feel free to stop replying to me. As I've said 3 times in a row now, this is a pointless discussion until Swalk confirms what he's claiming happened. If he confirms your version of events, we don't even disagree for goodness sake, which I've also said numerous times. But you call me the argumentative one...

Master

Slow down my posting? Seems like more needless abuse aimed at new members based on post count. Does the same standard not apply to you, given you have more posts on the thread than anyone?

If you don't want to discuss with me, feel free to stop replying to me. As I've said 3 times in a row now, this is a pointless discussion until Swalk confirms what he's claiming happened. If he confirms your version of events, we don't even disagree for goodness sake, which I've also said numerous times. But you call me the argumentative one...
    You totally ignore my points on the last thread and just cry bully, but it is a fact all your posts are from the last 3 weeks and you are certainly racking up the count. Why the hell would he confirm my version of events, I’m calling him out as someone looking for a free bezel replacement, that is what appears breitling are doing also. He is not getting one that is why he is p!ssed that is why he has joined multiple forums, that is why I am annoyed that he is using this forum as a tool to do some brand bashing, and that is what other members can see on this thread (but not all). He doesn’t even know whether it has been replaced in the past or not and whether it’s now plated or still gold. I’m asking you to look at the post 98 picture and look at the unpolished example vs his polished example, it is the same model no doubt, and give me your honest opinion on whether you agree his looks over polished or a tarnished gold plated example? Do you think it’s likely breitling will change his tabs without telling him, without ever billing him, and for him to not even notice the change at any point. Or from looking at the picture, do you think it’s much more likely he has just polished the tabs one too many times, from services in the past 26 years, and it is now beyond another polish. Look how small the tabs and melted in the tab looks, you can see the case is very soft.
    Last edited by ac11111; 28th August 2020 at 23:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    No dog in this fight but just from the photo the op has given it does look like over polishing to me, if you look at the bezel that looks ‘soft’ too.
    It would certainly be worth seeing some higher resolution photos to see if a number of services over the 26 year life has softened other areas.

I suspect this is no more than a case of ‘Bexley’ lug.
    Yup I’m glad you can see it

You totally ignore my points on the last thread and just cry bully, but it is a fact all your posts are from the last 3 weeks and you are certainly racking up the count. Why the hell would he confirm my version of events, I’m calling him out as someone looking for a free bezel replacement, that is what appears breitling are doing also. He is not getting one that is why he is p!ssed that is why he has joined multiple forums, that is why I am annoyed that he is using this forum as a tool to do some brand bashing, and that is what other members can see on this thread (but not all). He doesn’t even know whether it has been replaced in the past or not and whether it’s now plated or still gold. I’m asking you to look at the post 98 picture and look at the unpolished example vs his polished example, it is the same model no doubt, and give me your honest opinion on whether you agree his looks over polished or a tarnished gold plated example? Do you think it’s likely breitling will change his tabs without telling him, without ever billing him, and for him to not even notice the change at any point. Or from looking at the picture, do you think it’s much more likely he has just polished the tabs one too many times, from services in the past 26 years, and it is now beyond another polish. Look how small the tabs and melted in the tab looks, you can see the case is very soft.
    4th time lucky: let's wait and see if the OP confirms what happened rather than continuing to guess.

My posts are clearly legit and they're all visible. The idea that I'm wasting my time posting to 'rack up the count' is frankly insulting and a pathetic accusation... post count may be important to you, but it doesn't mean 2 scoobies to me.

Master
    4th time lucky: let's wait and see if the OP confirms what happened rather than continuing to guess.

My posts are clearly legit and they're all visible. The idea that I'm wasting my time posting to 'rack up the count' is frankly insulting and a pathetic accusation... post count may be important to you, but it doesn't mean 2 scoobies to me.
    Again ignoring my question, I give up

Again ignoring my question, I give up
    I don't exist to answer questions for arrogant members who accuse me of breaking forum rules with absolutely no basis in fact.

I've made my position clear 4 posts in a row, I'm not going to engage in your guesswork. It may be right, it may not, I don't particularly care either way but there's only one person who knows the answer.

Craftsman

Breitling Chronomat Evolution

Mine are gold and no complaints on breitling ever to be honest...Not sure how you "asked" this issue to be resolved but from my experience treating people the way you want to be treated yourself get's you half way.

Guillermo

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I blame the Four Tops
    😀

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    You are also "a relative newbie here", and as we have seen time and time again, being a "well established member" is no guarantee of knowledge, wisdom, decency or common sense.

I generally try to treat people with some respect and consideration and if I don't like what they are saying, just move on; on this occasion, however, I get peeved when you claim to be talking for me when you say "we don't view favourable new members..." - that might be the view of some/many/most, but not all.
    You do not talk for me. I, for one, am pleased to hear about what might be dodgy practice by brands and or dealers, whether it is a member's first or hundredth post.
    Absolutely agree with this. The “we don’t like that around here” approach is pretty sickening to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    The photo was taken after receiving the watch back from Breitling weeks ago and I never had the rider tabs replaced.

Apprentice
    No dog in this fight but just from the photo the op has given it does look like over polishing to me, if you look at the bezel that looks ‘soft’ too.
    It would certainly be worth seeing some higher resolution photos to see if a number of services over the 26 year life has softened other areas.

Bexley?

Apprentice
    He has already stated that he has not ever knowingly replaced the tabs.

My question is does it look like a relatively new tab that has lost its gold plating and therefore in his words, tarnished, or does it look like a really worn original tab that has lost it’s size/shape/lustre, given comparison to Martyn’s very nice example. I cannot believe Breitling, or for that matter any watch company, will replace this without even informing the owner, and for what gain? Did they charge for a new tabs, they couldn’t have, given the OP has said the tabs have not been replaced, so what for, so that they can take the tiny bits of gold and melt it down for scrap, then for owner not to even notice they change the tab (which begs the question why was it even replaced in the first place). Does that sound plausible? To me it’s more likely to be very simply, the original old tab has worn down from a number of service and polishes over the last 26 years.

From his perspective. Firstly there might be a chance he got confused, he saw the tabs are worn after the October service, in the past after a good breitling service and polish they come back looking quite good and shiny. This time the tab looks extra small and maybe they were overzealous on the polish, the lustre has now gone, the watch looks a bit knackered despite the polish. He calls up breitlong, they don’t know his watch off by heart but the service centre knows the replacement parts are indeed now plated ( because perhaps it’s not economical anymore to keep 18k parts for this watch), he puts 2 and 2 together, and draws the conclusion that the lost in lustre on his watch and so called tarnishing is because at some point in the past they had replaced the tabs with plated ones (unlikely for reasons above and picture), he accuses them of swapping out his tabs some time in the past. Confusions all round, he writes complaining emails through the company, breitling USA CEO now gets involved, they get in to debate on call, OP wants a free replacement tabs in 18k gold because he feel he has been wronged, CEO says that is really cheeky, Breitling then tell him to leave them alone now and to stop bothering them, sends letter from legal department. He is still frustrated and confused, he further digs out ownership and management of Breitling, they ignore him now. He now trashes Breitling finally across forums to show them and as a final act to either make him feel better, or in hope Breitling retracts their decision to not replace the tabs.

This is how sharp it should look when unpolished, his one looks classic over polish of melted chocolate

I am done with Breitling based on my experience and wanted to share what has happened to me, I have no expectations of anything changing here.

Apprentice

There are limit to the size of the attachment. I sent the largest that would be accepted.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swalk1 View Post
    I am done with Breitling based on my experience and wanted to share what has happened to me, I have no expectations of anything changing here.
    That is fair enough, and I can see you are peeved off on this issue, but see it this way, you did wear the watch for a good number of years and it has served you well otherwise? By the way, look up wabi sabi, it might make you feel a little better.

Certainly a lot of effort to join watchuseek, breitlingsource and tzuk for the purpose of warning people and to: urge people to reconsider ownership. It might serve as good warning for some though, and I’m sure those people appreciate it.

PS: Bexley is a lovely place in Kent.

Apprentice
    That is fair enough, and I can see you are peeved off on this issue, but see it this way, you did wear the watch for a good number of years and it has served you well otherwise? By the way, look up wabi sabi, it might make you feel a little better.

Certainly a lot of effort to join watchuseek, breitlingsource and tzuk for the purpose of warning people and to: urge people to reconsider ownership. It might serve as good warning for some though, and I’m sure those people appreciate it.

PS: Bexley is a lovely place in Kent.
    Looked up wabi sabi, and while I am always willing to learn, it does not make me feel better that I have worn that watch that long and now am unable to wear it given the appearance.

Master
    Looked up wabi sabi, and while I am always willing to learn, it does not make me feel better that I have worn that watch that long and now am unable to wear it given the appearance.
    No emotional attachment after so long? Just wear it i say, think of all the memories you’ve had with it.

Master
    Bexley?
    The mythical home of Rolex UK servicing where many a submariner was polished out of existence, where the lugs would get visibly thinner after each polish.

There are limit to the size of the attachment. I sent the largest that would be accepted.
    You could use a free image hosting site such as postimg, flicker or even google drive if you want to share images in greater resolution.

Do you have any images of the watch prior to this latest service?

The expectation is that this issue has been on-going for years and that each service and refinish of the 26 years has taken some metal away and introduced some softness to the case and bezel, if this is not the case and you have never had it polished or refinished until the last service then I can see reason for your stance with them.

How many times has this watch been serviced and was it refinished each time?

Master
    swalk1 this thread might be of interest

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...l-added-first)