closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Video: Three Watches That Will Make You Money - Investment Watches

Video: Three Watches That Will Make You Money - Investment Watches

There's videos dropping every Monday now from Nico, Pride & Pinion, Belfast. Bound to spark a debate! (I'll get my coat....)

Master
    Rather predictable trio, unimaginative has he seen how vintage tags / autavias have gone stratospheric in price lately

A sure bet would be the sub though we all know that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The combination of Belfast and Holland in the accent is hilarious.
    Wonderful thing, hindsight.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

He’d have been better off citing the BBN 79220N rather than the BB58.

Master
    This video encapsulates everything that's wrong with watch collecting at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    This video encapsulates everything that's wrong with watch collecting at the moment.
    Absolutely agree, the love of money and the love of horology often get confused these days

A

What Swiss Tony level of tosspottery is this guy talking?!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Investment lol, if you went to a club for investors and told them your investments were in watches they would all wet themself laughing

Craftsman
    I’m considering asking this fella to pick my Euromillions numbers....on second thoughts, perhaps not!

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I’m considering asking this fella to pick my Euromillions numbers....on second thoughts, perhaps not!

What have you got to sell?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Second this comment.

Also loved the Swiss Tony reference.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by aamaci View Post
    Absolutely agree, the love of money and the love of horology often get confused these days

A
    Sorry, meant to attach my comment to this

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Our hobby and how it's been corrupted.

Not wishing to be antagonistic but I bet there’s not many reading this that haven’t committed the ultimate sin (no pun intended) of checking the value of their watches on Chrono24 or elsewhere? I love mine but it’s also nice knowing that their value might go up a little bit and that I haven’t flushed my hard earned cash down the toilet at the same time. There’s always going to be an element of ‘investment potential’ connected to watch buying - we’re not talking pannini football stickers. I think it’s a bit self-righteous to cry “our hobby has been corrupted!” blah blah when at the end of the day we all covertly want their value to increase.

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Not wishing to be antagonistic but I bet there’s not many reading this that haven’t committed the ultimate sin (no pun intended) of checking the value of their watches on Chrono24 or elsewhere? I love mine but it’s also nice knowing that their value might go up a little bit and that I haven’t flushed my hard earned cash down the toilet at the same time. There’s always going to be an element of ‘investment potential’ connected to watch buying - we’re not talking pannini football stickers. I think it’s a bit self-righteous to cry “our hobby has been corrupted!” blah blah when at the end of the day we all covertly want their value to increase.
    Do not ascribe your motives to others.

I have sold watches in the past. Can't recall making money on them. In fact was surprised by how much I got the last time I traded a couple in for a Rolex.

Frankly I don't care about the value, I don't consider them to be investments. I sell when the love ends, that includes some I've never or hardly ever worn and some that were a go to watch for a time.

Assets rather than investments. Can be turned back into cash if absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Do not ascribe your motives to others.

I have sold watches in the past. Can't recall making money on them. In fact was surprised by how much I got the last time I traded a couple in for a Rolex.

Frankly I don't care about the value, I don't consider them to be investments. I sell when the love ends, that includes some I've never or hardly ever worn and some that were a go to watch for a time.
    What motives? I buy a watch and it might increase in value through no fault of my own. Big deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Assets rather than investments. Can be turned back into cash if absolutely necessary.
    Exactly. Could be more than you paid or less, but thats the thing with assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    The combination of Belfast and Holland in the accent is hilarious.
    Wonderful thing, hindsight.
    His accent was the first thing that grabbed my attention. The Dutch shhhes and the hard NI tones mixed perfectly. Luckily it distracted me from the utter pony he was talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    What motives? I buy a watch and it might increase in value through no fault of my own. Big deal.
    Motives, as in what motivates you.

Your post introduced the ideas of "keeping and eye on the value" and "investment potential".

That's great if that's your thing but you also sought to imply "we all do it". Put simply no, we don't all do it. As I mentioned I don't actually care about the sales value, only the owenership experience.

My first proper watch was my grandfathers retirement Longines, cost me more to have it done up than it was probably worth. Still got it, sourced a period correct watch box to put it in, hardly ever wear it. Hope that conveys what I'm trying to say.