closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's a fair price for a Rolex 1665 these days?

Craftsman

What's a fair price for a Rolex 1665 these days?

I'm thinking of selling my 1665 and really have no idea what would be a fair price for buyer and me in the current market. I was told 15-20k retail last year, but dont know how that's changed now (but looking at c24 that would seem expensive these days), and of course I'm not a retailer. Apologies, if this should just be a sale post, but I'd sooner get my ducks in a row rather than put a silly price on - and I'm not even 100% sure I'll sell tbh.

Ebay seems to have a few on BIN from the US but there is no sold data. Chrono24 all seem to be very expensive or have service dial/hands, or be located in the US etc , which would be my usual go-to, so wondering if the forum could help please.

Watch is from 1983, has correct dial with nice patina and matching hands (although the pip is more white). I dont believe the case has been polished more than maybe once. There are no original papers, but I do have 3 Rolex Service Certificates over various years... with the last one being from February this year (so 2.5 years of Rolex warranty on it.) I also have some paperwork from Stephen Hale when it went to them for almost a year to have a tiny piece of (non glowing) lume put back onto a hand after I stupidly wore it mountain biking.

Uploading a huge oversized picture would be the obvious thing to do now. Pic from before the service, but they didnt polish it, although did replace the crystal I believe.

Can anybody give me a steer before I list it? Thanks in advance for any help.

That is a really nice looking watch and although the experts will be along with a far more accurate price, I would imagine it would sell very quickly at around the 12k mark on SC.

If it were mine I would be keeping hold of it!
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 23rd August 2020 at 09:53.

Very nice indeed and comes with recent service history, which of course needs to be factored in any price.

I would agree with the retail price quoted and my first thought private was similar to the above, but perhaps factoring in the service. £12.5k would be a great buy for anyone.

Haven't seen one of those on here for a long time
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 23rd August 2020 at 09:54.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

If it were mine I would be keeping hold of it!
    Its not a sale I'll rush into, because I doubt I'd be able to justify rebuying one - especially at full retail (or higher if they increase). But, I'm not wearing it and have become somewhat conscious of walking around wearing expensive watches - maybe an age thing, or having a new young family? I've also worn an apple watch since lockdown which I'm really enjoying (and losing weight largely due to!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Very nice indeed and comes with recent service history, which of course needs to be factored in any price.
    Thank you. The service was about £1k, which was eye watering at the time, but assured me of full water resistance so I could wear it as intended. Of course, then we got locked down and I put it away!

Quote Originally Posted by maxf View Post
    Somewhat conscious of walking around wearing expensive watches
    I can certainly relate to this.

Its not a sale I'll rush into, because I doubt I'd be able to justify rebuying one - especially at full retail (or higher if they increase). But, I'm not wearing it and have become somewhat conscious of walking around wearing expensive watches - maybe an age thing, or having a new young family? I've also worn an apple watch since lockdown which I'm really enjoying (and losing weight largely due to!)
    The 1665 is a very desirable watch and very few nice examples come to market. The value of this is only going one way in my opinion. Personally, I would only sell it when you absolutely need to, even if you just wear it on special occasions it's value should increase faster than cash in the bank and if you suddenly found you needed cash quickly any dealer would take that off you in a heartbeat.

Have a good mull over this one

Lovely watch, I’ve got a MK 1 that I always enjoy when worn in the paddling pool! ;-)

Master
    My friend sold his to a dealer 3 weeks ago for 15K
    Watch only
    Not a trade but straight sale

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    mjwatches have had a 1665 rail dial for sale for years and it looks nice, though service crystal. I dunno where prices are with these!

Master
    Sold a lovely full set about 3years ago and prices seem to have levelled off a bit but even so would have priced it at 14-16k, I think 12k is a bit on the low side. Fantastic watches and probably the Seadweller to have in that price range.

I paid £1k to have my Double Red serviced about two years ago also

Lovely watch and is on my list (at some point!)

The ones I’ve seen at the moment range from £10-12k

Good luck!

S

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post

Good luck!

S
    I find that very hard to believe that a Great White is 10K
    As a reference point I paid 13.8K two and a half years ago and that was a private sale.
    Last edited by Hood; 23rd August 2020 at 19:56.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Good luck!

S
    Nonsense.

£1k to service a watch. Daylight robbery if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Chrono 24 seem to range from 12k to 27k for a Great White with the bulk floating around 17k.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Chrono 24 seem to range from 12k to 27k for a Great White with the bulk floating around 17k.
    The HK one at 12K has the worst relume job I think I've seen Bob.
    After that one the next is over 14K and in the USA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    The HK one at 12K has the worst relume job I think I've seen Bob.
    After that one the next is over 14K and in the USA
    Exactly Jim, I think if you discount the bottom 15% and the top 15% you are somewhere near a realistic figure for a good example.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies all - given me a lot to think about. I think I'm not going to dive in and sell - I thought the cash would be nice to put into another hobby, but no major need really and probably just a bit of boredom on my part.

Thanks again

Thanks for the replies all - given me a lot to think about. I think I'm not going to dive in and sell - I thought the cash would be nice to put into another hobby, but no major need really and probably just a bit of boredom on my part.

Thanks again
    Given what you’ve said re: the hand, what is the overall condition of the hands? Matching lume is great, and the fix by Stephen Hale is reassuring, but is the lume cracked elsewhere on any of the hands set?

Good luck!

S
    Close, but you're about a decade out. Why offer advice if you clearly don't know the value?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Close, but you're about a decade out. Why offer advice if you clearly don't know the value?
    It’s all about the post count when you’ve only been here three months.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    It’s all about the post count when you’ve only been here three months.
    Or your looking to send a PM with intent to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I am wearing mine today. Got my watch over 10 years ago for a steal however it is a Tritium service dial and service case. Not the collectors choice. However it’s a nice watch and great daily wear. Not sure what it would be worth now.

I bought a Mark 1 off watches.co.uk in 2015 for £6.5k, but the hands were modern service replacements. Ended up trading it against a Mark 3 DRSD which was listed at £18k. Happy days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Or your looking to send a PM with intent to buy?
    My thoughts as well. Perhaps DigitalSeb could post a link to all these watches that he has seen for 10/12k

Grand Master
    Ill give you some cash & this.......

Master
    Ooooh, 5512 is rarer than many realise and especially so ( IMHO ) in the UK. Splendid!

H

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Ooooh, 5512 is rarer than many realise and especially so ( IMHO ) in the UK. Splendid!

H
    Thanks H,having just bought this......

I thought the 1665 would be a nice addition.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 28th August 2020 at 16:26.

Based on recent auction results I would think £12 -14k might be a more realistic value for a late Great White. One was sold in 2019 by McTear for £12k. That said condition and originality is everything.

But perhaps another way of valuing it to look at how much it would cost to replace it.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I bought a Mark 1 off watches.co.uk in 2015 for £6.5k, but the hands were modern service replacements. Ended up trading it against a Mark 3 DRSD which was listed at £18k. Happy days.

I traded my triple 6 and a Mk1 Ploprof for my all original 1665 (Rail). Happy days indeed.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche