closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consolidation...

Blog Entries

Consolidation...

Meanderings on SC have led me to a very expensive watch. To fund it would decimate my current collection - I would need to sell 5 of my watches including 2 hard to find 6 digit Rolex, to purchase this one watch. BUT - I would end up with a concentrated high-value set.

Maybe this is a rhetorical question. But what would you do? I do apologies if this is a repeat question. But I wonder if this would mean I could leave TZ-UK after this (ha ha ha!) - I know my significant other would appreciate this.

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Meanderings on SC have led me to a very expensive watch. To fund it would decimate my current collection - I would need to sell 5 of my watches including 2 hard to find 6 digit Rolex, to purchase this one watch. BUT - I would end up with a concentrated high-value set.

Maybe this is a rhetorical question. But what would you do? I do apologies if this is a repeat question. But I wonder if this would mean I could leave TZ-UK after this (ha ha ha!) - I know my significant other would appreciate this.

Martyn
    Tough journey Martyn (sometimes).

You will always look back - personally, I have boiled down what I have and am 'currently' happy.

The whole Rolex thing has long gone from my world - it was actually easy once they were gone, never to return.

You can check out, but never leave........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman

Martyn
    I have often asked myself this, though at a lower point in the market, i.e. selling everything to buy a Batman. I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy having a rotation and that the variety keeps me interested in each element of the collection. I find having a single watch (I dropped down to only a BB GMT for a bit) leaves me bored eventually. Having said that, I was up to four again and after tomorrow will likely be back down to two, though that is largely with the attention to expanding again. The difficulty I have is knowing which ones to part with when I fancy a change!

Craftsman
    The PP is an absolute stunner.

Reality is you can get the Rolex back in future if you chose to, there’s plenty of supply, just costly relative to retail.

Your current trilogy plus what I think you are looking at would be an incredible focussed collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I would do it. Less is more, and it certainly will be if you get that Patek.

At a much lesser level I am looking to consolidate too, your top 3 are pretty awesome and adding the PP on SC would make it a formidable 4.

I think if I could afford a similar 4 I would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    For me, no, not that particular one you may be looking at. Variety sometimes is the spice of life.

Not saying don't do, but for me would have to be a PM to even consider it. Just my 2 cents.

Craftsman
    What would the finally set include?
    Would it still contain all three from the trinity?

If not would it be a 2+1 or 1+2 etc I.e Patek, Rolex, Lange if 1+2.

Needs a bit more context to comment on.

Ultimately it's going to be your choice based on usage and how the watches bond with you.

Currently I'm thinking of ditching all my rolex collection because the clasps are just bulky compared to other watches I own like my Vacheron's.

At the higher end there is a more personal relationship with a watch compared with the mid tier.

In principle I would consolidate and have done before. Not for that watch though, personal taste but I think you already have a far nicer Patek. Their sports watches have never done it for me and I much prefer AP’s line. Only you know what will give you more satisfaction but, if you’re anything like me, consolidation will only be a short term thing and the hunt for the next piece will begin as soon as the Nautilus hits your wrist.

Master
    I think the answer depends on the OPs lifestyle. If I was still working in an office and wearing a suit and a cuffed shirt I would buy a PP without a moments hesitation because the PP needs to be protected more than a Rolex from the knocks of daily life. In Spain I am always wearing short sleeves and I can jump in the sea without a care in the world wearing the Rolex but I couldn't do that with a leather strapped and less water resistant PP.

Right now at this stage in my life, the tougher Rolex is the way better bet.

PPs should live in an office environment and there lies the answer to the question.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    What would the finally set include?
    Would it still contain all three from the trinity?

If not would it be a 2+1 or 1+2 etc I.e Patek, Rolex, Lange if 1+2.

Needs a bit more context to comment on.

Ultimately it's going to be your choice based on usage and how the watches bond with you.

Currently I'm thinking of ditching all my rolex collection because the clasps are just bulky compared to other watches I own like my Vacheron's.

At the higher end there is a more personal relationship with a watch compared with the mid tier.

For context would leave me with these and 2 other lower value:

Patek 5146J
    Vacheron Constantin 4500v
    Audemars Piquet ROO Diver or Rolex 126711 CHNR
    Patek Nautilus 5726a-001

Don’t do it. Only a Mother would love the watch you refer to. It is simply ugly!

Forget the brand. Forget the prestige factor. Look at the watch in the cold light of day. Stick with the nice watches you have mate.

“Emperor‘s new clothes”

Edit - no offence intended to the seller of “this watch” - it’s simply not to my taste (as you may have guessed!). Plus irrelevant to me as I’ll never been able to afford a watch in that league!!
    Last edited by Kirk280; 23rd August 2020 at 15:06.

Less but better is almost always a good strategy...

...until the Law of Diminishing Returns kicks in. Matching the set to current and forecasted lifestyle seems like a wise consideration, though easier said than done.

Got a similar question going through my mind about consolidating my collection entirely into a VC Overseas. Main thing holding me back is the concern about wearing a £19k watch.

No I wouldn’t Martyn

You already have a Patek Annual Calendar. I like this kind of watch when it looks like a 5146 or a 5396, but not when it is dressed in what I think is an unattractive steel case. Is the pull from Nautilus design that powerful?

A 5396R is probably my exit watch, but I wouldn’t sell my mainstream luxury watches to get to it.

Right now I’m appreciating variety and the choices that brings, although I may find consolidation more attractive in the future.

Good luck with whatever you decide

D

Personally, I wouldn’t. I had a 5726/1A a few years ago, sold it on here for less than RRP :-(

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...nnual-Calendar

The 5726 is a lovely watch, but not worth the amount they go for in the pre-owned market these days, at all. That said, the one on SC is a relative bargain in the current crazy market.

I'm not sure I would want two Pateks on leather. I would want the second on bracelet or rubber or they risk serving the same purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Don’t do it. Only a Mother would love the watch you refer to. It is simply ugly!

Forget the brand. Forget the prestige factor. Look at the watch in the cold light of day. Stick with the nice watches you have mate.

“Emperor‘s new clothes”
    Exactly that watch is not worth it at all.

For context would leave me with these and 2 other lower value:

Patek 5146J
    Vacheron Constantin 4500v
    Audemars Piquet ROO Diver or Rolex 126711 CHNR
    Patek Nautilus 5726a-001
    I was on the fence until I saw what you’d end up with. I think that’s a fantastic and balanced collection, so my vote goes for consolidation.

Craftsman
    Tricky one

I would consolidate, but I presume you would keep the Air-King?

Then after a bit .... buy another watch or two

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    ... At the higher end there is a more personal relationship with a watch compared with the mid tier.
    I couldn’t disagree more - if anything I think the opposite is true.

Martyn, nobody can advise you what to do. Personally, I’ve moved away from having too much tied up in a single watch, as I’d rather have the variety that two or three alternatives provides. However, no reason for you to feel the same way.

i do think the annual calendar is a superb iteration of the Nautilus, although I’d probably go for the bracelet version.

Craftsman
    I’m all in favour of consolidation, but I don’t see how the breadth and quality of your current collection would be enhanced by the addition of another calendar complication. It,s rather the buzz (or lust) of acquiring another Patek.

If you have to ask for others opinions, then you know you just trying find a justificaton to “consolidate”, on that basis I wouldn’t even consider it.

I was fortunate to pick up a 5726 on bracelet from SC a few years ago.

It was a pleasant piece, but the reality fell way short of the hype - the pedigree and history of the PP marque do not justify the overinflated pre-owned prices of the steel Nautilus sport models.

For me, being over 50 I couldn't read the ridiculously small Day/Month apertures, even with glasses on - the Date ring is fiddly to read, and the moonphase redundant.

I have owned an AP 15400 for 18 months, this is simply a better finished, more practical piece to enjoy every day, the bracelet is a nicer fit/finish that the PP bracelet.
    I appreciate that there are AP afficionados who say the 15400 is oversized, but for a 7 3/4" wrist it is absolutely perfect.

As others have commented, the fact that you are seeking validation from a bunch of internet acquaintances should tell you what you need to know.

For £42k, you can buy an AP plus a mid-range Lange 1, with enough left over for a fish supper and the bus home.

Craftsman
    I'd rather you got another beehive than another Patek :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I'd rather you got another beehive than another Patek :-)
    very good answer!

Wow everyone - I appreciate all the answers. Much food for thought.

Is the 5726 a watch you have lusted after for a long time?

If not I really don’t get why you are even considering it.

sell all and buy g-shock for yard work. watches are overrated and you can always tell time by looking at you phone.

:)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    sell all and buy g-shock for yard work. watches are overrated and you can always tell time by looking at you phone.

:)
    You’re certainly on the right forum!

I'd consolidate. What have you got to loose? You can always go back.

Master
    Not saying this is the case with you Martyn, but I think it’s easy to get distracted with what we really want as opposed to what the watch world is telling us we really want. Put another way, I wonder if we could all buy any watch we wanted without any waitlists at all, what would everyone’s collection look like? Would they be full of 5711’s, Daytona’s, aquanauts, etc? Or not? Also would people buy a 20k watch if they knew they would instantly take a bath on it if they sold it? Knowing you can sell it easily at a large profit is so much different than knowing you’ll lose thousands if you decide it’s not for you. Again the watch world has put us in the position and in part we’re all to blame.

I bought my VC, Pepsi and Daytona at retail - selling a pre owned blue 5711 would buy all three of those (admittedly I’d never get them all at retail now) but that’s how I think you need to compare things. What are you selling to buy the one watch and is it worth it to you? For me I’d rather have the 3 watches I’ve got instead of the 1. Your situation is different as you’ll clearly have a stable of superb watches to go along with it, but it’s food for thought. Maybe you need to take a shot of the ones you’ll be selling? What I will say is it’s a great dilemma to have :-)

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e614d0_k_d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/4311/3...31114b_k_d.jpg[/IMG]

Master
    Can’t help suspecting that your wisest move would be to give it a rest.....stop buying and selling for a while. Just enjoy what you have. No hurry.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Is the 5726 a watch you have lusted after for a long time?

If not I really don’t get why you are even considering it.
    Exactly. I am getting a sense of “because it is there”.

Been through the same thought process many times. On the one hand, a single watch means just one thing to look after and one lot of servicing...plus you can only wear one at a time. On the other, is what you're looking at really worth five very nice watches and losing the variety they bring?

My personal opinion is that, nice as a Nautilus is, it's now been overhyped and ramped up to unreasonable levels. I've had four of them, but not the 5726. I'd be uncomfortable paying way above list for this if it meant selling five watches to do it. If I was making this kind of consolidation for a Patek, it would have to be something really special like a perpetual calendar.

Having been down the consolidation road several times, albeit at a much lower level, I understand the logic of your thinking. I do however tend to agree with those who question why this watch. If it was a Grail or an end game watch that you had lusted over for years then yes, I would say go for it. If it is simply a case of a stunning watch that has appeared on SC that you had no previous thought of going after then logically I suggest that you let this one go.

Doesn't mean you cannot do a similar thing in the future, but that level of sacrifice has to be for the right watch.

Master
    If I could get good money for the PP you have then yes as Ithink that Nautilus is a stunner on the strap.
    Not sure how comfortable I would be wearing a 40K watch though.

Grand Master
    Letting go of something I really like in order to buy something I may like a little more is never a good idea IMO. I only let a watch go if I`ve lost the love for it and never wear it. The 'consolidation' philosophy is flawed, much of the pleasure in collecting watches is being able to own several at the same time. Acquiring nice examples at the right price isn`t easy, once you've achieved it I would think very carefully before going backwards.

I don`t think there's a watch on the planet that I would want to own as a 'grail', I have a few that I`d never part with and several more that I`d be reluctant to part with, but thesedays I accept that my way of thinking seems to be in the minority on here.

Master
    Personally prefer the 5146 you own, and think you will keep that regardless from your previous posts...the PP on SC is stunning and would work well in any collection, however...you have the PP box ticked and sports watch box ticked...

You could do far worse, and it's probably the nicest of the Nautilus range (I'm down for the blue with bracelet, although still have doubts over the useless 24hr sub-dial), but I'd question this being the one given you're seeking confirmation from the internet. Consider too whether you live somewhere you would feel comfortable wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Not saying this is the case with you Martyn, but I think it’s easy to get distracted with what we really want as opposed to what the watch world is telling us we really want. Put another way, I wonder if we could all buy any watch we wanted without any waitlists at all, what would everyone’s collection look like? Would they be full of 5711’s, Daytona’s, aquanauts, etc? Or not? Also would people buy a 20k watch if they knew they would instantly take a bath on it if they sold it? Knowing you can sell it easily at a large profit is so much different than knowing you’ll lose thousands if you decide it’s not for you. Again the watch world has put us in the position and in part we’re all to blame.
    Good points, well made.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Can’t help suspecting that your wisest move would be to give it a rest.....stop buying and selling for a while. Just enjoy what you have. No hurry.
    I really do agree with this, having been something of a flipper myself for a while; if you're in that mind-set then the good fortune of cash liquidity can also mean you start to hoover up anything considered lustworthy, if only to say that you've owned it. It doesn't mean you actually want it, though.

My genuine advice to you would be to just slow down and - as Peter said - enjoy what you have. If you didn't buy another watch, ever, you'd have plenty to derive joy from.

Master
    I like your collection, and you have a lot money invested in your watches. I would do something even more dramatic to lift your collection to the next level. I would sell the whole collection and consolidate to AP Royal Oak Extra Thin Jumbo, ultimate Gents watch in my opinion and I prefer this over any Nautilus. Then cannot beat a classic PP perp calendar on leather. Thirdly as a diver, cannot beat a Rolex as a daily sports watch, any would do, I would go for single red sub 1680. Should still have good money left over as a fourth watch which can be flipped more frequently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I wouldn't for that Nautilus model.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

I bought my VC, Pepsi and Daytona at retail - selling a pre owned blue 5711 would buy all three of those (admittedly I’d never get them all at retail now) but that’s how I think you need to compare things. What are you selling to buy the one watch and is it worth it to you? For me I’d rather have the 3 watches I’ve got instead of the 1. Your situation is different as you’ll clearly have a stable of superb watches to go along with it, but it’s food for thought. Maybe you need to take a shot of the ones you’ll be selling? What I will say is it’s a great dilemma to have :-)

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e614d0_k_d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/4311/3...31114b_k_d.jpg[/IMG]
    That first pic is awesome. Killer collection dude. Three watches that look like they would be great fun to wear.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    That first pic is awesome. Killer collection dude. Three watches that look like they would be great fun to wear.
    You have added what to the debate?

Curious to see what Martyn ends up doing - you’re collection is for me great as it stands!

But I do understand maybe the thrill of the chase is missing?

Anyways keep us posted!

S

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    You have added what to the debate?
    I add a positive comment about an image another member shared on this thread and your reaction is this?

Take a minute and think about what you did. It reflects on you, not me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I add a positive comment about an image another member shared on this thread and your reaction is this?

Take a minute and think about what you did. It reflects on you, not me.
    No, you added a ubiquitous comment of no relevance or value. But added to your post count, junior.

No, you added a ubiquitous comment of no relevance or value. But added to your post count, junior.
    70 posts in 3 months, you think I'm trying to play the system? I must be pretty bad at it

Perhaps my post will have value to the person I quoted, I hope so. Positive messages are rarely a bad thing to receive.

p.s. Before continuing to escalate, perhaps consider you may have made an ill-judged assumption about speed posting. Maybe it would be a good idea to welcome a new forum member rather than treat them with suspicion. Just a thought.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    70 posts in 3 months, you think I'm trying to play the system? I must be pretty bad at it

Perhaps my post will have value to the person I quoted, I hope so. Positive messages are rarely a bad thing to receive.

p.s. Before continuing to escalate, perhaps consider you may have made an ill-judged assumption about speed posting. Maybe it would be a good idea to welcome a new forum member rather than treat them with suspicion. Just a thought.
    Hi, just add value then. Please do. Over to you........

Hi, just add value then. Please do. Over to you........
    Re-emphasising again that I don't add value... have a look through my posts if you like. Outside of this rather pointless exchange, I'm OK with the value I'm adding.

Report me if you feel it necessary. But I'd prefer you didn't insult me, as I have avoided insulting you. On a bright note, I'll have forgiven & forgotten by the morning.