closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Bay 58 misalignment?

Craftsman

Black Bay 58 misalignment?

Hello all!

Received my BB58 on Friday after a long wait!

Upon receiving the watch I was disappointed to see the bezel misaligned (see attached pictures)

Also upon further inspection, it looks as if the 6 o'clock baton is a slightly crooked, what do you guys think from the pictures?

Anyway reason for the thread is I am wondering now if I should send back to Tudor service centre for it to be fixed under warranty, or should I return the watch back to the AD and request another watch, it has all the stickers still attached, only sticker I removed was the dial sticker! Everything is still as I received it.

Thanks for any help, will attach link to Imgur for full pictures

http://imgur.com/a/U9It9QA

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Well - if you've waited that long - maybe get it fixed by Rolex - it should be a quick fix as a warranty claim. Else you may need to wait for another one.

Craftsman
    Hello

What do you think about the 6 o'clock baton?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Hello

What do you think about the 6 o'clock baton?

Can you take further pictures - straight on (camera angle looks a bit off) - maybe a few. Difficult to tell.

The 6 o’clock indicate does look off in the picture but sometimes it can be distortion from the domed crystal. The bezel is certainly out.

I would first go back to the store and ask for an exchange as the BB58 are not difficult to obtain and they will have more within there group. Failing that RSC where I imagine it will take about 3 - 4 weeks to rectify.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 22nd August 2020 at 21:34.

Craftsman
    Hello,

Thanks for replies, will upload some more pictures now, I've looked at the 6 o'clock marker numerous times and it just doesn't look right in person if that makes sense.

Hard to picture it, but you get a sense of symmetry better in person I guess?

My main concern is if I send to the RSC, they might not agree with me on the crooked marker, and will not fix that, especially as it may mean a full dial swap? Or can they just some how reapply marker?

Thanks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Can you take further pictures - straight on (camera angle looks a bit off) - maybe a few. Difficult to tell.
    http://imgur.com/a/x6vMatl

More pictures, its only a shade out, if you look at the seconds track and compare it to the marker it just doesn't look right, you get a better sense of it in person, its not the most glaring issue but include that with the bezel alignment im thinking of just asking for an exchange.

Am I within my rights to ask for an exchange if im not satisfied?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    http://imgur.com/a/x6vMatl

More pictures, its only a shade out, if you look at the seconds track and compare it to the marker it just doesn't look right, you get a better sense of it in person, its not the most glaring issue but include that with the bezel alignment im thinking of just asking for an exchange.

Am I within my rights to ask for an exchange if im not satisfied?

Thanks

Can't see it myself - but if you're not happy - maybe take back to AD and request a replacement (as stated above).

I'm not qualified to state what your consumer rights are - maybe contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or check online e.g. https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd August 2020 at 22:15.

I would return for replacement, that’s just what you can see after all what about the rest?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    I would return for replacement, that’s just what you can see after all what about the rest?
    What do you mean the rest? Can you see more problems

It certainly looks out from those images at both 12 & 6.

What do you mean the rest? Can you see more problems

No sorry, I just mean that you’ve spotted a couple of issues rhat are on the visible parts of the watch, the poor QA might extend to other components.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I must be 'tired' - I can't see it!

Craftsman
    Thanks for that!

Yes its ever so slightly off to the right, think I'm going to try and returning it, but I've got a feeling they are just going to say its registered to me now on warranty so can't be returned!

Does anyone else think tudor/rolex will agree on the dial marker if I return to them under warranty?

I don't think it does. Bear in mind he's not talking about the bezel which is clearly turned about 15 clicks to the left. He's talking about the chapter ring and indices alignment. Personally I think any issue looks minuscule and should be forgotten, but it's hard to tell for sure from photos.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I don't think it does. Bear in mind he's not talking about the bezel which is clearly turned about 15 clicks to the left. He's talking about the chapter ring and indices alignment. Personally I think any issue looks minuscule and should be forgotten, but it's hard to tell for sure from photos.
    Hello, okay fair enough, it is a small difference, just with the bezel misalignment didn't know if it is worth returning and asking for an exchange.

I may just keep it and send back to tudor, get bezel fixed and see what they say about the marker to, they may say its within tolerance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you are not 100% happy take it back. It’s impossible to judge such small issues from photos.

Seems you aren’t happy so take it back.

I can't see it myself, alignment looks OK. But if you're not happy I suppose it's at least worth a chat with the AD.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Black Bay 58 misalignment?

OP - take it to the retailer and ask if they can see it.
    If they can, great - they will support you.
    If they cannot, they’ll support you anyway if you push.

And I would use them to send it back under warranty, rather than engage with Rolex yourself directly.

I had a very slight misalignment on the hour and main chrono hand of my BB Chrono (search my old thread titled: Hand alignment... what’s tolerable....?” ) and took it back to the AD.
    They struggled to see it as clearly as I did but did agree and supported me in processing the warranty repair.
    All got sorted in a few weeks (5 I think?) and I could call the AD for an update anytime, whereas I doubt you can with the service centre directly.

You will not likely get it swapped for a new one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 23rd August 2020 at 10:27.

You defo need a second opinion from the AD. They can stick a loupe on it with you there and have a conversation.
    This to me does not look like an issue - but hard to judge from photos

Craftsman
    Hello,

Okay thanks for all the advice, the watch definitely has to go back as the bezel is completely out of alignment anyway.

As you can all tell I'm not very satisfied, unfortunately I ended up buying this watch from an AD a few hundred miles away from my home, they were the only AD I could find that had it in stock and they posted it to me.

I was meant to receive the watch over a month ago, but the AD also messed up my purchase, after taking the bank transfer and telling me the watch is in stock, they then told me the watch has now been sold, but to be fair they have compensated me for the wait.

The reason I'm saying this is do I post it back to them? Or go the local AD? Or as I say deal with rolex direct.

I do feel as though the marker is crooked and will make a case for it, will see if they agree, as its going back regardless for bezel alignment.

Blog Entries
    Hello,

Okay thanks for all the advice, the watch definitely has to go back as the bezel is completely out of alignment anyway.
    I wouldn't say 'completely out' it is difficult to tell I'm not sure they are just parallax effects, in below pic the 6 o'clock marker looks just fine too - but you are clearly unhappy. Take it you your local AD and explain (it is a worldwide warranty). Do let us know how you get on?

(nb - I hope the lines I added to your pics helped to some extent??)

M

Craftsman
    I wouldn't say 'completely out' it is difficult to tell I'm not sure they are just parallax effects, in below pic the 6 o'clock marker looks just fine too - but you are clearly unhappy. Take it you your local AD and explain (it is a worldwide warranty). Do let us know how you get on?

(nb - I hope the lines I added to your pics helped to some extent??)

M
    Hello,

I will certainly let you know how I get on, the bezel misalignment is more pronounced when the bezel is turned 5 clicks to the left, see pictures

Thanks for adding the lines, they do help, and will use them to show ad the bezel, along with the other amended pictures with lines added earlier on in thread.

Last edited by cart3rlfc; 23rd August 2020 at 10:57.

Journeyman
    If you do take yours back please let us know what they say. I know this seems to be a fairly common concern, and although when I first saw your photo up close my thought was that yours was more badly misaligned than mine (I also have a 58), when I actually really stopped to look at my watch I noticed the alignment is essentially the same as yours. So I think this is not an uncommon problem. How do other people with slightly misaligned Black Bay 58s feel? Do most people just live with it, or is it more common to send it back? It wouldn't have occurred to me to send mine back but the more I read about other people doing so the more I think it may be worth it...

I'd be interested to hear how long the process takes for you if they do adjust it. I would just take it back to a local AD as they should be able to help you.

Hello all!

Received my BB58 on Friday after a long wait!

Upon receiving the watch I was disappointed to see the bezel misaligned (see attached pictures)

Also upon further inspection, it looks as if the 6 o'clock baton is a slightly crooked, what do you guys think from the pictures?

Anyway reason for the thread is I am wondering now if I should send back to Tudor service centre for it to be fixed under warranty, or should I return the watch back to the AD and request another watch, it has all the stickers still attached, only sticker I removed was the dial sticker! Everything is still as I received it.

Thanks for any help, will attach link to Imgur for full pictures

http://imgur.com/a/U9It9QA

Blog Entries
    Depends where you are located or wish to travel - but Rolex service centres often do minor adjustments on a walk in basis - while you wait.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Depends where you are located or wish to travel - but Rolex service centres often do minor adjustments on a walk in basis - while you wait.
    Kings Hill don’t. Under Covid 19 regs you need an appointment and they are booked up for some time ahead.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post
    If you do take yours back please let us know what they say. I know this seems to be a fairly common concern, and although when I first saw your photo up close my thought was that yours was more badly misaligned than mine (I also have a 58), when I actually really stopped to look at my watch I noticed the alignment is essentially the same as yours. So I think this is not an uncommon problem. How do other people with slightly misaligned Black Bay 58s feel? Do most people just live with it, or is it more common to send it back? It wouldn't have occurred to me to send mine back but the more I read about other people doing so the more I think it may be worth it...

I'd be interested to hear how long the process takes for you if they do adjust it. I would just take it back to a local AD as they should be able to help you.
    Hello,

I did ring rolex and they said 3-4 weeks in regards to the bezel.

Journeyman
    Hello,

I did ring rolex and they said 3-4 weeks in regards to the bezel.

Thank you! I wouldn’t be keen to lose the watch for so long but that isn’t as bad as I thought it might be, and I suppose best to make sure it’s 100% right while it’s under warranty.

It seems a surprising oversight on their part based on how many of these comments seem to be out there.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Its my first tudor and I was somewhat surprised to see them let that pass through there QC to be honest

I’m very fussy about alignment and honestly can’t see any problem with the 6 marker. The bezel does seem misaligned, but I simply can’t see you getting an exchange for that. The fix will be a repair under warranty. If it’s a recent online purchase you might be eligible for a full refund. In your shoes I’d return for a refund if that is an option, as you don’t seem happy with this watch.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    I’m very fussy about alignment and honestly can’t see any problem with the 6 marker. The bezel does seem misaligned, but I simply can’t see you getting an exchange for that. The fix will be a repair under warranty. If it’s a recent online purchase you might be eligible for a full refund. In your shoes I’d return for a refund if that is an option, as you don’t seem happy with this watch.
    Yes, this would be my view as well. The dial printing and indices look fine despite the photos not being taken properly head-on. The only issue seems to be a very slight misalignment of the bezel which, in itself, wouldn't prompt me to return a watch for a refund.

That said, if you're not going to be happy with it then just return it under the distance selling regs.

Sorry I haven't read all the comments so this may have been mentioned, but are you in your returns window?

If so keep it simple and just return it if you aren't happy (assuming it's in new condition still). You'll find another one, it won't take long.

I imagine the retailer will provider a returns option fully insured etc.

Master
    I'm seeing the 6 baton slant ever so slightly to the left at the top.

I remember having an issue with the indices on a watch that had a double domed crystal. The curvature was definitely interfering with my perception and I accepted that.

In this case, however, I don't think the curvature of the crystal will begin as high as the top of the 6 indice.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post

I did think that with mine sometimes, but it’s actually the domed sapphire which throws the bezel out slightly. (Doesn’t help my eyes fixating on it - one eye closed is fine, with my glasses on fine)

Craftsman
    Hello,

Thanks for replies, its a watch I've wanted for a long time! Its definitely one I want to keep.

I'm going to ring the AD tomorrow and discuss my options with them, see what they say, I don't want to return the watch as the AD gave me a discount on it for messing up my order to begin with.

I've stared at your enlarged photo's and genuinely have no idea what the issue is. I'm sitting here typing this wearing a BB58 and my watch may well have the same issue. It would be impossible to see in normal use.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I've stared at your enlarged photo's and genuinely have no idea what the issue is. I'm sitting here typing this wearing a BB58 and my watch may well have the same issue. It would be impossible to see in normal use.
    Can you not see the bezel alignment issue atleast?

Firstly, the photos have not been taken ‘straight on’, so will colour people’s responses.

From the images provided, I’d say the bezel is slightly misaligned to the left and it would bug me also. I would send it to to Rolex to be realigned. Even so, I do not think this is the type of thing to bother, or even be noticed by, your ‘average‘ owner.

As for the perceived issue with the 6 o’clock hour marker... I cannot see any misalignment. Again, the watch not being flat for the photos may not tell the true story. Or the issue could be present, albeit fractional, and would pass QC.

Don’t look too hard at these things. Nothing is perfect.

This is not an uncommon problem with Rolexes as well. Plenty of posts on various fora about the issue.
    Personally, I don’t think it is a big deal but if you are not happy, go back to the dealer.

If you don’t want it I’ll give you a grand for it. After all it’s soiled goods

Can you not see the bezel alignment issue atleast?

I'm looking at the photo with the lines drawn in on something many times the size of the watch and, well, no not really. You could argue that it's not bang central on the marker, but that could be the angle or glass distortion. But even if it isn't quite perfect, we're talking fractions of fractions of a millimetre which can't be detected without huge magnification.

Look, I know this hobby attracts people with a fascination for minute detail beyond which I'll ever comprehend. It has to be right for you, so take it back and let us know how you get on.

Craftsman
    I'm looking at the photo with the lines drawn in on something many times the size of the watch and, well, no not really. You could argue that it's not bang central on the marker, but that could be the angle or glass distortion. But even if it isn't quite perfect, we're talking fractions of fractions of a millimetre which can't be detected without huge magnification.

Look, I know this hobby attracts people with a fascination for minute detail beyond which I'll ever comprehend. It has to be right for you, so take it back and let us know how you get on.
    I'm not really one for being overly fussy (I know this thread seems abit of a contradiction) and the 6 o'clock marker is definitely something I could live with, the bezel does not hit the seconds markers however.

I'm not sure if I'm asking too much of a £2760 watch to line up? I've got various other significantly cheaper watches that all line up, I even has an invicta that I got for modding which all lines up perfect, and that's a £60-£70 watch, for anything over a grand i pretty much expect it to line up perfectly under the naked eye? (I'm relatively new to the watch game so maybe this is naivety on my part)

I will be contacting the AD tomorrow and will update thread

What do you make of mine then?

Craftsman

Hello,

I believe yours looks good from the pictures

Here are pictures similar please look at bezel markers and numerals, and there position in relation to dial

Hello,

I believe yours looks good from the pictures
    The alignment with the bezel turned 5 minutes looks very similar on both.

Yours does look like the 6 marker is out by a tiny fraction and the alignment with the bezel at 12 is ever so slightly worse.

The fact that another watch is good at 12 but not when turned makes me think you will find it hard to get one that is 100% aligned at every click around the dial.
    Last edited by Christian; 23rd August 2020 at 23:13.

I’d want to get that fixed. Sort of thing that would bug me when I looked at it.

Can’t see the 6 market from the pictures though.

Craftsman
    Hello,

Just a follow up, contacted AD where I purchased watch from, they are requesting an exchange from tudor, they have sent over pictures and will get back to me if the exchange is approved.

If not i will just get the bezel fixed under warranty and live with the ever so slight crooked marker! But will also mention that to them if I send in for warranty work, as you never know they may correct it to.

^^^ What was their take on it? Could they see the issue and did they say it was unacceptable?

Craftsman
    Yes they agree, other wise I suppose they wouldnt be willing to request an exchange, but what tudor will make of it i do not know.

Banned
    Blog Entries

That bezel looks way off, the first pic in particular.