closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best way to size up/try on a Rolex Datejust

Craftsman

Best way to size up/try on a Rolex Datejust

Hi All,

infrequent poster looking for some advice please..

Hoping to soon post a WTB for a Datejust 36/41, however I've never owned/tried on a Rolex before. Would like to size up the two measures against my wrist. May instead be tempted by a Black Bay in the right circumstance. What is the best way to try on watches for size? Dithered on a few examples of both 2/3 months back and none similar have came up since unfortunately.

I'm 10 miles north of Birmingham so have lots of AD's on the doorstep, however wanted to avoid trying on new watches/wasting their time if possible because quite frankly I'll be buying used. What are everyones views on the best way of trying on? There is a watchfinder 'boutique' in the Bullring, is ordering a few in to try there a decent bet? I guess that is time wasting too so I suppose it doesn't matter where you're doing it...help?!

Thanks in advance

Goldsmiths in Newcastle have all three of those models in store so I'm pretty sure you'll find them in your area. Go in and try them on. Yes you're wasting the staff's time but so what, gives them something to do when things are slow. It's a big purchase so they'd half expect you to go away and consider it rather than buying on impulse.

Happy watch trying :)

PS: Anyone order a Chinese?
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 22nd August 2020 at 11:34.

I think we’ve probably all tried watches at an AD with no intention of buying, personally don’t see anything wrong with it. The staff will be used to it. You really do need to try before buying as they are very different. I’ve got a 7.5 inch wrist and used to wear a 36mm Datejust every day. Now I’m used to wearing 40mm+ watches I find that the 36mm just looks too small.

Master
    Both the DJ 36 and 41 will fit almost every guy, Ive owned op 36, DJ 41 and DJ 2 in the past and they all fit my average 6.5 inch wrist well, it just depends on your preference of size. 36 is more classically proportioned, the DJ 41 is actually 39.5mm despite the name, more modern size but not as large as DJ2, a bit more flashy and sporty.

Craftsman
    Three replies and I’m a lot better off. Cheers guys, I’ll go and try them on.

What size is your wrist first. That might suggest one size or another if it is particularly large or small.

What era of DateJust are you looking for? The new 36mm DateJust wears quite a bit smaller than the recently retired 1162xx, so you might get a misleading impression trying on a new one in town if you want an older one.

You could try a good sample on a trip into Birmingham. WoS on New St and Goldsmiths in the Bull Ring should have a few new and maybe some used to try on. A couple of pawnbroker type shops on Corporation Street usually have a few older DateJusts in to try for size. They are there to sell watches so no need to feel bad trying them on without buying!

Master
    Ask for Hatman14 at Goldsmiths Bullring and say that you want back-door discount. Should ensure a nice reception.

As mentioned earlier, it veey much depends on your wrist size. I have 18cm/7 inch wrists and the DJ41 looked far too big but the DJ36 is perfect. This type of watch works much better at 36mm imo. As a previous poster said, the previous 36mm model does wear bigger than the current 126××× but they are still a good size for most wrists imo. In any event, go and try some on - it's part of the fun anyway!

Master
    Better off trying them on, wrist size only tells half the story it also depends on the shape. My wrist is 7.25 but the date just 41 is perfect.

Craftsman

Not sure if it’s any help but here’s my DJ36 on my 17.5cm wrist. It’s the previous model DJ from 2017/2018 I think.

I did love the DJ41 when I tried it on, but it looked a bit too flashy. Maybe the non fluted bezel might be a better look for me on the 41.

Anyway as others have said, just go try them all on in the shops. Not every try on results in a sale so they will be used to it. I’m always honest when I try on, just say you’re in a quandary between all three so would like to try them and think about which will be best - it’s a big decision.

I’m sure they appreciate honesty versus the old ‘let me check with the wife’ excuse! Plus if they get funny with you while you’re being honest it’s a great indicator of who not to buy from eventually.

Funny I was debating the same a month or so ago - went in to try on the 36m and this is what it looked like.

(Please ignore the lovely transparent glove!)

S

Master
    My wrist is just over 7 inches. I felt the 41mm with fluted was too large. Went for the 41mm with smooth bezel and that felt just right. I also tried 36mm fluted which also fit me well.

Certainly suggest try before buying. Comes down to personal taste.

Master
    Just to add to what others have said, it’s very much personal opinion, but having tried both the 41mm just didn’t work for me. I found the proportions all off. The size just didn’t suit the watch.

I had never had a sub 40mm watch before, but I must say since I got my DJ I’ve really warmed to it and not much else gets a look in.

If it were me, I would go into Watchfinder and try a few on to get your sweet spot. The older 36mm (brushed lugs) wears much smaller than the newer 36mm with the polished lugs - the case has a completely different feel. Also, if you can, try the jubilee bracelet vs the oyster. Once again, in my opinion anyway, this completely changes the feel and bulk of the watch.

Good luck with your search. There’s plenty of used examples about and I recon something for everyone.

Look forward to seeing “incoming” post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    DJ41 on 7 1/2 inch wrist. As mentioned earlier these are actually 39.5mm not 41 mm.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman

Thought it would be a 41 but it just wore too big on my 6.5”” wrist. 36 it is. Gone with the oyster bracelet non bezelled in navy, well, registered my interest. Hopefully get one in good time.

Thanks for the advice above.

Pics of two 36’s below, should’ve capture the 41 too for comparison but forgot.

Master
    Good choice, but when you get your watch please research the ulnar styloid and why you should wear your watch above it, rather than in the joint of your wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Good choice, but when you get your watch please research the ulnar styloid and why you should wear your watch above it, rather than in the joint of your wrist.
    Interesting as I was looking into this the other day. I wear mine as above & find it too uncomfortable to wear above US (which I know is the ‘correct way’)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Interesting as I was looking into this the other day. I wear mine as above & find it too uncomfortable to wear above US (which I know is the ‘correct way’)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    You get used to it. I used to wear watches below the US but made the switch to above US. Now when I see people wearing a watch below US it looks so wrong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I think we’ve probably all tried watches at an AD with no intention of buying, personally don’t see anything wrong with it. The staff will be used to it. You really do need to try before buying as they are very different. I’ve got a 7.5 inch wrist and used to wear a 36mm Datejust every day. Now I’m used to wearing 40mm+ watches I find that the 36mm just looks too small.
    Agree with this. I am sure we have been into other type of shop without purchasing items - it is what the high street is all about.

Good choice - 36mm with navy dial seems to be a common choice - hope you get it soon! Do check HM advise though - you will get less stretch in the bracelet in the long run.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th December 2020 at 18:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing.