closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ref 2504.52 Omega Railmaster 36mm (pictures and advice needed)

Craftsman

2504.52 Omega Railmaster 36mm (update, watch found)

I'm looking pictures and information about the elusive Railmaster 36mm with the cal 2500. I'd like to add this to complement my 42mm Planet Ocean (like everyone else)

My questions:
    - Did this come with the earlier cal 2500 movements?
    - How is the bracelet? I don't typically bond well with the Omega diver bracelets, but how does the bracelet compare to PO cal 2500 or 2254.50? Is it heavy?
    - Any pictures on a Nato strap?
    - How does this compare to the 36mm Explorer?

Any advice regarding the watch or finding one? How "sharp" is the case? Is it sharp as the Planet Ocean or softer like the older seamaster?

Also please post your pictures, especially on a strap or nato strap.
    Last edited by ollipekka; 10th August 2021 at 19:09.

Master
    Hi here’s some shots of mine. I also have a PO but my Railmaster is 41mm and my PO is 39.5mm. I think they complement each other quite nicely.

I’ve also had an Explorer but that went and the Railmaster stayed.

Here’s mine on an alligator strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The RM didn't actually use the 2500, that has a date feature, they use the non date 2403 (which is 2500 based). This also received upgrades during its life but I think they are out of step with the 2500, ie the last 2403 was B Spec, which is the same as the 2500C in that it has the reduced beat rate. I don't think there was a triple layer version like the 2500D. I am not certain so please check but AFAIk there are only A and B spec 2403s
    Last edited by Padders; 22nd August 2020 at 12:17.

I have the 39mm version, but the answers to your questions should be mostly the same for the smaller size.

The bracelet is really nice. One of my favorite Omega bracelets in fact. The only issue is that it has no micro adjust at all, so you may or may not be able to get a perfect fit using full and half links. Also keep in mind that the 36mm has a 19mm lug width, so it may be less versatile as far as straps are concerned.

The weight on the 39mm does not feel
    too heavy. Definitely lighter than the Speedy, and a lot lighter than the 42mm Planet Ocean (both of which I also have). Wears very close to the wrist. I imagine the 36mm must be a pleasure to wear.

The case finishing is comparable to a Planet Ocean of the same generation. Definitely sharper than the Bond Seamaster. However, the design is fairly rounded, so there aren’t any really sharp edges. You shouldn’t expect Royal Oak edges here.

Here’s a picture of the 39mm on a NATO on my 7.25” wrist.

And here is the 42mm Planet Ocean on the same wrist for comparison.

Hope this helps. Good luck hunting down a 36mm Railmaster. I’m sure you’ll love it.

I’ve had both the 36 and the 39. Both among my favourite watches. Really comfortable (not thick) and easy to read (clear dial in most light conditions). Had the 36 on the bracelet and the comments above are completely correct. Solid and substantive without overbearing the weight of the watch head. The 39 is on leather (Hirsch Medici). Here’s a picture of it a couple of days ago...

36 was quite hard to track down. Good luck with the hunt and let us know how you get on.

Craftsman
    Boom. Here we are. Omega Aqua Terra Railmaster Chronometer in 36mm size.

It took nearly 18 months to track down a watch I was happy to buy. In the process I wrote a blog post, which I have been finalizing today and will continue finalize as I take more pictures of the watch. I will visit a watchmaker tomorrow to see if he can balance the bracelet a bit better, effectively move one link from left side to the right and to get an opinion on the condition of the finish. I have a feeling that the watch has been lightly polished at one point in its life, but not in the most recent Omega maintenance in 2020. Short time after original post, I started tracking watches, I have listed those also in the blog post. There is currently one offered in the US on chrono24 for those who are interested.

https://ghostofgeraldgenta.com/2021/...aster-2504-52/

Congratulations on tracking it down. Looks great.

Well done! Not easy to find one of these.

Craftsman
    I had the bracelet balanced today and it wears now perfectly. The watchmaker took a look at it with a loupe and was of the opinion that what I described as polished surfaces is just 12 years of wear. Close up the case has quite a bit of wear. Overall I'm very happy with the watch.

I briefly tried the zuludiver sailcloth that I bought with a discount code, but it requires a wear in. I'm considering to get a 19mm padded canvas from diaboliqstraps.

Here it is on a 18mm Phoenix Nato:

Grand Master
    I turned one of these down in 2008, the watch was less than 12 months old and price was £1000......wish I had it now. They're hard to find in good condition and the prices reflect that. The 36.2mm case is a nice size and wears similar to a Rolex Datejust, I`ve owned two 36.2mm Aqua Terras in the past and liked them.

The bracelet is OK but not as substantial as the SMP from that era, I recall one of mine ratting slightly whilst driving! Adjustment requires use of the half-link to get a good fit, can`t remember whether two half-links would improve the adjustment as is the case with the 2254.50 with 1610.930 bracelet.

Master
    Congratulations, such a great watch & always good to secure your target after a long hunt - I am very jealous!