closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Harper’s Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    And you don’t believe that PC Harper, being an officer of the law, in a uniform, trying to stop these people from stealing a quad was NOT an aggravated motive in his death?

Alas even if it was, it would not be covered by the law which specifically mentions, ethnicity, religion, sexuality preferences.
    No, they would have done this to anyone trying to stop them and of course it wouldn't be covered by such a law. Obviously no reason it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No, they would have done this to anyone trying to stop them and of course it wouldn't be covered by such a law. Obviously no reason it should be.
    Wow, you have zero evidence but make the claim anyway. However do you think they might have reacted differently if they had been confronted by a couple of members SAS in full tactical gear, rather than a couple of plod. I personally imagine the outcome might have been different.

Next you will be claiming that some people don’t have an almost pathological hatred of the police, don't fear/respect them and would be happy to see them dead.

Anywhoo, such a law doesn’t exist, yet, so that point is moot.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Wow, you have zero evidence but make the claim anyway. However do you think they might have reacted differently if they had been confronted by a couple of members SAS in full tactical gear, rather than a couple of plod. I personally imagine the outcome might have been different.

Next you will be claiming that some people don’t have an almost pathological hatred of the police, don't fear/respect them and would be happy to see them dead.

Anywhoo, such a law doesn’t exist, yet, so that point is moot.
    You asked what I believed, I responded. Just my opinion as is most of what we write on here.

What evidence do you have for what I might be claiming next, or even this b#llocks? -

If the gang had dragged a member of LGB/a minority Religious/ethnic community, etc behind their car, then in addition to being convicted of manslaughter/murder, the CPS could have also suggested that it was also a hate crime. If the gang had known the person was gay, black, etc then there is a very good chance they would have been successful in getting a conviction. So I addition to a “standard” manslaughter/murder charge (they would get if they “just” killed a member of your family,) then an addition sentence would have been given.

Yet because the victim was “just” a policeman, Neither he, nor his family got this additional Protection/Justice under the law.

Perhaps Harper’s law, should simply include the addition of Frontline Emergency Services staff into existing “Hate crime“ legislation. Better still why not include everyone into “hate crime” legislation, rather than having a two tier system we have today.
    My point might be moot but you brought in the nonsense about race religion etc.

Anyway this thread is about 'Harper's Law' not the killing of him There's another thread for that so all of this is really irrelevant.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 27th August 2020 at 23:26.

Wow, you have zero evidence but make the claim anyway.
    Next you will be claiming...
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You asked what I believed, I responded. Just my opinion as is most of what we write on here.

What evidence do you have for what I might be claiming next, or even this b#llocks? -

My point might be moot but you brought in the nonsense about race religion etc.

Anyway this thread is about 'Harper's Law' not the killing of him There's another thread for that so all of this is really irrelevant.

My point was that some (including you) claimed that such a law wasn’t necessary simply because we are equal in the eyes of the law, so no need for special treatment.

What I wanted to point out that exceptions already exist, so why shouldn’t these exceptions be extended to front line civil servants?
    Last edited by Andyg; 28th August 2020 at 08:38.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    [/QUOTE=ralphy;5514615]The criteria that has been called for to be the basis of "Harper's Law" is probably unworkable, there will be a lot of dissatisfaction amongst those who think others should be included.

R[/QUOTE]

Oh the irony

Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    My point was that some (including you) claimed that such a law wasn’t necessary simply because we are equal in the eyes of the law, so no need for special treatment.

What I wanted to point out that exceptions already exist, so why should these exceptions be extended to front line civil servants.

Probably because there are sections of the community who dislike the police, and the media often present their view and reasons as justified in some way. I’ve even heard it said that the mere presence of the police in an area was ‘provocative’. Some people perhaps feel they are right.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

What I wanted to point out that exceptions already exist, so why shouldn’t these exceptions be extended to front line civil servants?
    As already pointed out, there are no exceptions, we are all equal in the eyes of the law.

You cited:

Schedule 21, paragraph 5(2)(g), provides for a starting point of 30 years (rather than 15 years) for the minimum term for a life sentence for murder aggravated on the grounds race or religion.

Yet you have applied your own 'differentation' by ignoring:

Schedule 21, paragraph 4 (2) (ba) the murder of police officer or prison officer in the course of his or her duty.

Which I hope you will appreciate is treated as more serious than your example when it comes to sentencing.

Could this have been an attempt by yourself to make one of those 'deflect and distract posts' you find so boring?

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 28th August 2020 at 09:35.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Probably because there are sections of the community who dislike the police, and the media often present their view and reasons as justified in some way. I’ve even heard it said that the mere presence of the police in an area was ‘provocative’.
    . We can indeed agree on that.

R

I won't be signing the petition. Laws made in a rush, on the back of the latest outrage, often promoted by victim's family, can be Ill considered and merely a means for politicians to appear to be doing something.

Generally there are adequate laws already in place. Their application and a re-evaluation of judicial discretion may be more appropriate.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Blog Entries

R
    Were you there?

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I won't be signing the petition. Laws made in a rush, on the back of the latest outrage, often promoted by victim's family, can be Ill considered and merely a means for politicians to appear to be doing something.

Generally there are adequate laws already in place. Their application and a re-evaluation of judicial discretion may be more appropriate.
    In this case the laws an ass. Let's hope next time you need a police officer he's not killed trying to protect you or your property.
    The current law is woefully inadequate.

You cited:

Schedule 21, paragraph 5(2)(g), provides for a starting point of 30 years (rather than 15 years) for the minimum term for a life sentence for murder aggravated on the grounds race or religion.

Yet you have applied your own 'differentation' by ignoring:

Schedule 21, paragraph 4 (2) (ba) the murder of police officer or prison officer in the course of his or her duty.

Which I hope you will appreciate is treated as more serious than your example when it comes to sentencing.

Could this have been an attempt by yourself to make one of those 'deflect and distract posts' you find so boring?

R
    If you want me to treat it seriously then why not quote the whole section. Especially as it provides a bit more context, don’t you think? However for the benefit of all.

2)
    Cases that would normally fall within sub-paragraph (1)(a) include—
    (a)
    the murder of two or more persons, where each murder involves any of the following—

(i)
    a substantial degree of premeditation or planning,

(ii)
    the abduction of the victim, or

(iii)
    sexual or sadistic conduct,

(b)
    the murder of a child if involving the abduction of the child or sexual or sadistic motivation,

[F2(ba)
    the murder of a police officer or prison officer in the course of his or her duty,]

(c)
    a murder done for the purpose of advancing a political, religious [F3, racial] or ideological cause, or

(d)
    a murder by an offender previously convicted of murder.

Note the wording - “Cases that would normally“ , and “murder”. All very interesting however I was previously taking specifically about the laws regarding hate crimes and how some have this extra layer of protection. So whilst this does offer some additional protection to multiple victims, children, minorities, those murdered by convicted murderers, etc as well as police/prison officers, it ONLY offers this protection in the event they are murdered, where as victims of hate crimes don’t.

Also please note this excludes other members of the emergency services, unless of course the victim just happens to fall into one of the other categories.

Friedrich Nietzsche

If you want me to treat it seriously then why not quote the whole section. Especially as it provides a bit more context, don’t you think?
    You mean just like you did?

Schedule 21 - Criminal Justice Act 2003 (determination of minimum term in relation to mandatory life sentence)

Schedule 21, paragraph 5(2)(g), provides for a starting point of 30 years (rather than 15 years) for the minimum term for a life sentence for murder aggravated on the grounds race or religion. S145 uplifts will not apply in such cases. For more information, see the legal guidance on Homicide: Murder and Manslaughter.
    LOL!

R

Were you there?
    No, I'm happy to leave that sort of thing to those types.

Were you there?

R

R
    Nice to see some members of the general public, performing their right to protest, whilst also believing it’s OK to hurl abuse (or whatever comes to hand) at public servants who are just don’t their job. Very dignified.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    In this case the laws an ass. Let's hope next time you need a police officer he's not killed trying to protect you or your property.
    The current law is woefully inadequate.
    Indeed we'd all hope that, I'm sure, but the odds are, in fact, very unlikely that they would be.

I don't see HOW the current law is woefully inadequate - The premeditated killing of anyone is murder, policeman, sex worker, vicar or child.

In the Harper case the jury were not convinced the death was premeditated, so they passed a guilty of manslaughter verdict - The burden of proof is the same in all cases, all you seem to be saying is that we should dispense with proof if certain people die.

I'm not sure if what was addressed earlier, I've not read every post, but the race/religion/sexual orientation factor is not related to the race/religion/sexual orientation of the victim, but to the motivation, so that alt-right nonsense from Andyg earlier, was precisely that.

If Harper had been Black or Gay the sentence would have been the same.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 28th August 2020 at 14:58.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

I agree with this, a measured approach.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

You mean just like you did?

LOL!

R
    But I did quote the entire text, you simply quoted the bit that supported your argument and simply ignored references that didn’t suit.

However perhaps we can at least agree that hate crime provisions do not extend to professions, so exclude Front line emergency personnel. There we are not equal in the eyes of the Law.

Secondly perhaps we can also agree that some special provision are offer the police and prison officers, but that these provision equally apply to victims or multiple/convicted killers, children and minority groups, but that these provision ONLY apply if the police or prison officers are ON DUTY when they are killed.

Finally perhaps we can agree, that other than police or prison officers on duty, there is NO provision for other emergency personal killed whilst ON DUTY.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    No, I'm happy to leave that sort of thing to those types.

Were you there?

R
    No, not my kind of folk I'm afraid. I've never been one for protest marches apart from the Countryside Alliance one many years back.

I prefer to write to the Honourable Member for the Shire to voice my opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Indeed we'd all hope that, I'm sure, but the odds are, in fact, very unlikely that they would be.

I don't see HOW the current law is woefully inadequate - The premeditated killing of anyone is murder, policeman, sex worker, vicar or child.

In the Harper case the jury were not convinced the death was premeditated, so they passed a guilty of manslaughter verdict - The burden of proof is the same in all cases, all you seem to be saying is that we should dispense with proof if certain people die.

I'm not sure if what was addressed earlier, I've not read every post, but the race/religion/sexual orientation factor is not related to the race/religion/sexual orientation of the victim, but to the motivation, so that alt-right nonsense from Andyg earlier, was precisely that.

If Harper had been Black or Gay the sentence would have been the same.

M
    Under the current laws, the verdict is the verdict, but that’s sort of the whole point.

The current law is flawed, as are the current methods used for sentencing. Why for example is Manslaughter even an option in the case of someone being directly responsible for the death of uniformed emergency worker? It’s because the current law permits it. Imagine if joy riders knew, with certainly, that if the police officer chasing him, dies as a result of the pursuit, the joy rider automatically gets charged with murder. It might actually act as a deterrent. Ditto a rioter throwing rock, a drunk in A&E throwing a punch, a person resisting arrest, etc.

Actually you have ZERO idea whether the sentence would have been the same. What if Harper been a member of the public (pick your own colour, religion or sexual orientation), trying to intervene, who was then dragged behind a car for a mile? Do you honestly believe the sentence would have been the same? Pure conjecture and therefore pointless.

BTW The race/religion element was introduced to counter the rubbish being spouted that we shouldn’t have special laws for certain group of people. All I did was highlight the fact that the Hate Crime legislation did exactly that, and if you can have hate crimes against some sectors of the community, why not others. Specifically Front Line emergency Personnel.

This isn’t about race, religion, sexual orientation, it never was, its about Society demonstrating to its public servants (those who put their lives at risk supporting you and your family), that they are genuinely valued, their sacrifice appreciated and that if people abuse/hurt/kill them, then they will be severely punished for it.

Friedrich Nietzsche

BTW The race/religion element was introduced to counter the rubbish being spouted that we shouldn’t have special laws for certain group of people. All I did was highlight the fact that the Hate Crime legislation did exactly that, and if you can have hate crimes against some sectors of the community, why not others. Specifically Front Line emergency Personnel.
    No that is for all sectors of the community.

Andy you completely misunderstand the point about hate crimes.
    EVERYONE is covered by the provisions you quote, because EVERYONE can be a victim of a hate crime.
    The provisions define the intention of the perpetrator, not the victim, and therefore by definition they do not differentiate certain groups of victim.
    Dave

But I did quote the entire text, you simply quoted the bit that supported your argument and simply ignored references that didn’t suit.
    That is exactly what you yourself did!

However perhaps we can at least agree that hate crime provisions do not extend to professions, so exclude Front line emergency personnel. There we are not equal in the eyes of the Law.
    Hate crime provisions apply to anyone who is motivated by hate crime, irrespective of their occupation/employment.

Secondly perhaps we can also agree that some special provision are offer the police and prison officers, but that these provision equally apply to victims or multiple/convicted killers, children and minority groups, but that these provision ONLY apply if the police or prison officers are ON DUTY when they are killed.
    I think you are confusing perpetrators with victims here.

Finally perhaps we can agree, that other than police or prison officers on duty, there is NO provision for other emergency personal killed whilst ON DUTY.
    I can't agree because there is SOME provision: one of the aggravating factors taken in respect of sentencing guidelines is the fact thast the victim was providing a public service or performing a PUBLIC DUTY.
    R

Nice to see some members of the general public, performing their right to protest, whilst also believing it’s OK to hurl abuse (or whatever comes to hand) at public servants who are just don’t their job. Very dignified.
    It was a little more than just abuse sadly, 6 police officers were injured.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ism-churchill/

R

Blog Entries
    It was a little more than just abuse sadly, 6 police officers were injured.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ism-churchill/

R
    How many police officers were injured by BLM protesters in London would you say?
    Sadly around 27. A little more than abuse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52954899
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 28th August 2020 at 22:21.

Under the current laws, the verdict is the verdict, but that’s sort of the whole point.

The current law is flawed, as are the current methods used for sentencing. Why for example is Manslaughter even an option in the case of someone being directly responsible for the death of uniformed emergency worker? It’s because the current law permits it. Imagine if joy riders knew, with certainly, that if the police officer chasing him, dies as a result of the pursuit, the joy rider automatically gets charged with murder. It might actually act as a deterrent. Ditto a rioter throwing rock, a drunk in A&E throwing a punch, a person resisting arrest, etc.

Actually you have ZERO idea whether the sentence would have been the same. What if Harper been a member of the public (pick your own colour, religion or sexual orientation), trying to intervene, who was then dragged behind a car for a mile? Do you honestly believe the sentence would have been the same? Pure conjecture and therefore pointless.

This isn’t about race, religion, sexual orientation, it never was, its about Society demonstrating to its public servants (those who put their lives at risk supporting you and your family), that they are genuinely valued, their sacrifice appreciated and that if people abuse/hurt/kill them, then they will be severely punished for it.
    I don't have ZERO idea what the sentence would have been, they are applied according to sentencing guidelines.

Clearly you don't like them, but they are what they are, so YES, the sentence would have been more or less the same, as the guidelines were followed in this case.

You're still twisting the race/religion/etc point, there is NO difference for the person involved (if a Muslim dies, the convicted doesn't get longer), the difference is in the motivation - As you say it's an element of Hate Crime, NOT which religion, race, sex, etc the victim was - If a Muslim kills Christians in a religiously hate motivated crime, he gets added sentence, I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

It's about motivation - Would you say that an overweight policeman who drops dead chasing a shoplifter would justify the shoplifter getting life? Or a policeman who is hit by a passing motorist because he didn't look, chasing the same person? Logically, all crimes would risk incurring a life sentence, but maybe you feel that's what a just society would be?

I suspect a rioter throwing a substantial stone (or say, a petrol bomb) and killing a police officer would be charged with murder and probably convicted, if the evidence was there that they did, as they would be likely to cause significant harm, but again, most of this is conjecture and guess work, there isn't the volume of cases some are suggesting to support it (thankfully).

Once again, HOW is the law flawed? Just stating it is is as meaningless as saying the earth is flat or gravity doesn't exist, unless you back it up with some explanation or justification.

What you mean (and here I sympathise) is that these little sh*ts didn't care that they killed PC Harper in a horrible way and deserve as much hell on earth as can be provided, but THAT is different to saying the law doesn't protect police officers or that people are getting away with light sentences for killing police officers on a regular basis.

Thankfully, few police officers are killed in the line of duty in the UK and when they are most of the time the killers are convicted of murder.

M

How many police officers were injured by BLM protesters in London would you say?
    Sadly around 27. A little more than abuse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52954899
    How many police officers were injured by Countryside Alliance protesters in London would you say?

Sadly around 48. A little more than abuse.

R

Blog Entries
    How many police officers were injured by Countryside Alliance protesters in London would you say?

Sadly around 48. A little more than abuse.

R

Nice deflection, instead of acknowledging the information.

Not as many as were injured by the police apparently. A little more than abuse eh?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...folk-2004.html
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 28th August 2020 at 23:15.

Not as many as were injured by the police apparently. A little more than abuse eh?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...folk-2004.html
    I hope you weren't one of those on the receiving end of the police 'riot squads who inflicted terrible injuries on peaceful country folk'.

I had thought you were a supporter of the police, but as you say:

Probably because there are sections of the community who dislike the police, and the media often present their view and reasons as justified in some way. I’ve even heard it said that the mere presence of the police in an area was ‘provocative’. Some people perhaps feel they are right.
    There is no tension between me and the police and probably not most of the law abiding public. However there probably is tension between the police and those who break the law.
    R

Blog Entries
    I hope you weren't one of those on the receiving end of the police 'riot squads who inflicted terrible injuries on peaceful country folk'.

I had thought you were a supporter of the police, but as you say:

R
    No I wasn't actually, we were with children and never saw any violence all day from either side. All the people I saw were well behaved.

I am a supporter of the police, and the quotes you picked out are actually speaking in support of the police as you well know. But nice try.

I don't have ZERO idea what the sentence would have been, they are applied according to sentencing guidelines.

Actually you don’t. I agree that sentencing guidelines are used, however notice the word GUIDELINES. Much of the actual sentence is determined by the judge with the guidelines. Which is why many sentences are subject to review and subsequently changed.

Clearly you don't like them, but they are what they are, so YES, the sentence would have been more or less the same, as the guidelines were followed in this case.

Regarding the sentencing guidelines, in my opinion they are flawed - as I previous stated. If you believe that someone should get 16 years (they will serve about 8) for dragging a person (note just a copper) behind a car for over a mile, which results in that persons death, is inappropriate, then actually we would be in agreement.

You're still twisting the race/religion/etc point, there is NO difference for the person involved (if a Muslim dies, the convicted doesn't get longer), the difference is in the motivation - As you say it's an element of Hate Crime, NOT which religion, race, sex, etc the victim was - If a Muslim kills Christians in a religiously hate motivated crime, he gets added sentence, I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

I am not twisting anything simply pointing out a disparity in the Law. Which according to some, doesn’t exist, despite a law stating it actually does. Also because the Hate Crime law exists, it enable perpetrators to be charged with an additional offence, which carries an addition sentence.

It's about motivation - Would you say that an overweight policeman who drops dead chasing a shoplifter would justify the shoplifter getting life? Or a policeman who is hit by a passing motorist because he didn't look, chasing the same person? Logically, all crimes would risk incurring a life sentence, but maybe you feel that's what a just society would be?

Wow, talk about moving the goal posts. I talked about joy riders, rioters and you talked about shop lifters. But I disagree about it being just about motivation. To me it’s all about possible consequences of a criminal action. The consequences of driving a car at high speed, the consequences of throwing a brick, the consequences to punching someone, resisting arrest, etc are significant different to someone smoking a joint or shop lifting. A rioter might have all sorts of personal motivation for throwing a brick, however what really counts is the possible consequences of their action.

I suspect a rioter throwing a substantial stone (or say, a petrol bomb) and killing a police officer would be charged with murder and probably convicted, if the evidence was there that they did, as they would be likely to cause significant harm, but again, most of this is conjecture and guess work, there isn't the volume of cases some are suggesting to support it (thankfully).

In the case of throwing a stone, I would imagine that a murder conviction would only be obtained if it was proven that thrower intended to kill or knew in advance that their action was likely to cause death. Under the current laws, manslaughter is a more probable outcome. Dropping a fridge off a roof onto a group of people, might be sufficient get a murder change. Maybe this explains why rioters who throw stones are not charged with attempted murder.

Once again, HOW is the law flawed? Just stating it is is as meaningless as saying the earth is flat or gravity doesn't exist, unless you back it up with some explanation or justification.

See above. Plus your analogy is wrong. It’s nothing like saying the earth is flat, because it isn’t and it’s supported by facts. However i can say something is flawed because it’s my subjective point of view. Doesn’t mean it’s right, but then it doesn’t mean it isn’t either.

What you mean (and here I sympathise) is that these little sh*ts didn't care that they killed PC Harper in a horrible way and deserve as much hell on earth as can be provided, but THAT is different to saying the law doesn't protect police officers or that people are getting away with light sentences for killing police officers on a regular basis.

No I have never said that the police and emergency service workers (please don’t forget them) are not protected under law. What I am saying is that despite the risks they take, they don’t get any additional protection than some other sectors of the community. The law doesn’t give them any special treatment.

Thankfully, few police officers are killed in the line of duty in the UK and when they are most of the time the killers are convicted of murder.

few police officers are killed in the line of duty”. Well isn’t that just dandy. I am sure will be a comfort to the families of those emergency services workers who are killed. But what about all those Emergency services workers who are abused, spat at, beaten, injured on a daily basis by the people they serve? I suppose they just have to suck it up. No special protection for them and no special punishment for those responsible.

But doesn’t it strike you odd that some people here value, and are very protective of their rights, their stuff, their families, their safety, their health etc, but seem to be much less protective of those they rely on them to provide this protection.

M

Friedrich Nietzsche

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Some pages ago this was a fairly reasoned discussion whereas now it’s just the usual few suspects who absolutely, categorically cannot bear not to have the last word. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg
    No I have never said that the police and emergency service workers (please don’t forget them) are not protected under law. What I am saying is that despite the risks they take, they don’t get any additional protection than some other sectors of the community. The law doesn’t give them any special treatment.
    Andy, what additional protection would you like to see the police be given?

R

Quote Originally Posted by andyg
    I am not twisting anything simply pointing out a disparity in the Law. Which according to some, doesn’t exist, despite a law stating it actually does. Also because the Hate Crime law exists, it enable perpetrators to be charged with an additional offence, which carries an addition sentence.
    For having a hate MOTIVATED crime, NOT a victim of a religious belief.

Wow, talk about moving the goal posts. I talked about joy riders, rioters and you talked about shop lifters. But I disagree about it being just about motivation. To me it’s all about possible consequences of a criminal action. The consequences of driving a car at high speed, the consequences of throwing a brick, the consequences to punching someone, resisting arrest, etc are significant different to someone smoking a joint or shop lifting. A rioter might have all sorts of personal motivation for throwing a brick, however what really counts is the possible consequences of their action.
    OK, but the terms of 'Harpers law' is that anyone responsible for the death of an emergency worker will automatically face a life sentence. That's not what you're saying above, so maybe you don't believe in the way it's been framed, either.

See above. Plus your analogy is wrong. It’s nothing like saying the earth is flat, because it isn’t and it’s supported by facts. However i can say something is flawed because it’s my subjective point of view. Doesn’t mean it’s right, but then it doesn’t mean it isn’t either.
    Fine, you're entitled to an opinion, but once again you've offered no examples of how or where the law is flawed, except to say that a policeman died and someone wasn't convicted of murder. Maybe the law IS flawed, but tell us how you believe it's flawed - What is your point of view based on?

“few police officers are killed in the line of duty”. Well isn’t that just dandy. I am sure will be a comfort to the families of those emergency services workers who are killed. But what about all those Emergency services workers who are abused, spat at, beaten, injured on a daily basis by the people they serve? I suppose they just have to suck it up. No special protection for them and no special punishment for those responsible.
    I don't suppose any family will be easily comforted when a loved one is killed, the whole argument here is whether one person's life is more valuable than anothers due to the job they do.

We do agree, though, that people who attack other people deserve harsher sentences, but I think students, shop staff, carers, and everyone else are as entitled to that protection as much as anyone else.

M

Most of those are/will be professional agitators..... there to confront authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Most of those are/will be professional agitators..... there to confront authority.
    Most of them are/will be far-right activists and football 'firms' there to confront authority.

Police and protesters have clashed in central London after hundreds filled the streets around the Houses of Parliament to "guard" statues as part of a counter-demonstration against anti-racism protests.
    Officers in riot gear were pelted with bottles and at least one smoke bomb after a crowd of people, mainly white men, converged on Parliament Square on Saturday. Among those gathered was Paul Golding, leader of the far-right group Britain First, who had called on supporters to descend on the capital, claiming authorities had "allowed vandalism against national monuments".
    As the number of protesters grew, there appeared to be clashes with police on foot and on horseback, as bottles were hurled.
    Chants of "England" rung out around Whitehall as some protesters appeared to make Nazi salutes.
    Many of those present were drinking.

R

Blog Entries
    Most of them are/will be far-right activists and football 'firms' there to confront authority.

R

Seems if it's not the far right, it's the far left and marxists confronting authority. The only constant appears to be the police trying to maintain order and protect the public as well as property. So perhaps they do deserve some kind of special category when it comes to being injured in the line of duty.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...ment-lpmfn3f2j

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...-racism-latest

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...eas-activists/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-far-Left.html

Seems if it's not the far right, it's the far left and marxists confronting authority. The only constant appears to be the police trying to maintain order and protect the public as well as property. So perhaps they do deserve some kind of special category when it comes to being injured in the line of duty.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...ment-lpmfn3f2j

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...-racism-latest

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...eas-activists/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-far-Left.html
    Nice deflection, instead of acknowledging the information.
    Quite.

R

Blog Entries
    Quite.

R
    But in my post I did acknowledge and and agree with the information in your post, didn’t I? No deflection from me, simply adding more information.

Do people *really* think the UK is a hotbed of marxism? Really ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Apparently some do.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Probably no more than they think it's a hotbed of the far right. It certainly seems to be reported on by the media, who report recent protests being used by them to attack authority and the police.

Anyway the thread has drifted somewhat so perhaps better to concentrate on the OP regarding Harpers Law.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 30th August 2020 at 11:08.

I don’t, but then I don’t believe the UK it’s a hot bed of Islamic Fundamentalism, far left Socialism/Communism, CND, Animal rights, Alt-Right, etc either.

However some of these folks do exist (thats undeniable) so when given an opportunity presents itself to kick off, rant/cause trouble, riot, etc some of these “awkward squad” will be present doing just that. Just look at those who attend the G7 protests.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Andy you completely misunderstand the point about hate crimes.
    EVERYONE is covered by the provisions you quote, because EVERYONE can be a victim of a hate crime.
    The provisions define the intention of the perpetrator, not the victim, and therefore by definition they do not differentiate certain groups of victim.
    Dave

The police and Crown Prosecution Service have agreed a common definition of hate incidents.
    They say something is a hate incident if the victim or anyone else think it was motivated by hostility or prejudice based on one of the following things:

• disability
    • race
    • religion
    • transgender identity
    • sexual orientation.

So unless you are defined as falling into one or more of these categories, you wouldn’t be covered.

Friedrich Nietzsche

For having a hate MOTIVATED crime, NOT a victim of a religious belief.

OK, but the terms of 'Harpers law' is that anyone responsible for the death of an emergency worker will automatically face a life sentence. That's not what you're saying above, so maybe you don't believe in the way it's been framed, either.

Fine, you're entitled to an opinion, but once again you've offered no examples of how or where the law is flawed, except to say that a policeman died and someone wasn't convicted of murder. Maybe the law IS flawed, but tell us how you believe it's flawed - What is your point of view based on?

No I believe that a life sentence should be mandated, but it doesn’t mean that someone spends their whole life in jail either. The benefit of a life sentence (and being released on licence) is that the authorities can simply revoke their licence at any time, (and for whatever reason).

I can offer lots of examples where sentences have been over turned and increased under appeal, but that’s not really the point.

I don't suppose any family will be easily comforted when a loved one is killed, the whole argument here is whether one person's life is more valuable than anothers due to the job they do.

We are not talking about the value of a life. We are talking about the laws regarding the protection we offer certain professions who are exposed to an increase risk because of the jobs they do.
    Your argument is akin to me suggesting we shouldn't have special Laws protect children (for example) because they lives carry the same value as adults.

We do agree, though, that people who attack other people deserve harsher sentences, but I think students, shop staff, carers, and everyone else are as entitled to that protection as much as anyone else.

If and when students, shop workers, carers are also expected to provide emergency services to the rest Public and are expected to risk their lives doing it, I would agree. But that isn’t the case is it,

M

Friedrich Nietzsche

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    The police and Crown Prosecution Service have agreed a common definition of hate incidents.
    They say something is a hate incident if the victim or anyone else think it was motivated by hostility or prejudice based on one of the following things:

• disability
    • race
    • religion
    • transgender identity
    • sexual orientation.

So unless you are defined as falling into one or more of these categories, you wouldn’t be covered.
    Unless you are defined as falling into one or more of those categories you wouldn’t be covered???

Everybody in the world comes under the race banner.
    Everyone in the world comes under the sexual orientation banner.
    Arguably everyone in the world comes under the religion banner.

Therefore anyone ​can be the victim of a hate crime.

I don't know about Marxism, but the security forces are concerned about the rise of right-wing extremism here in the UK (we had the highest number of fsar-right terror attacks and plots in Europe last year).

R

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Unless you are defined as falling into one or more of those categories you wouldn’t be covered???

Everybody in the world comes under the race banner.
    Everyone in the world comes under the sexual orientation banner.
    Arguably everyone in the world comes under the religion banner.

Therefore anyone ​can be the victim of a hate crime.
    I'm also baffled by the 'covered' comment.

R