closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilots’ watches

Pilots’ watches

I’ve been chewing over picking up a pilot’s watch / flieger for some time. But struggling with deciding about the right one.

I find the ultra-traditional Laco / Stowa Baumuster fare a bit too stark. Interestingly modern interpretations like the Sinn 556 or Damasko DA36 also look a little cold and clinical too me.

I think out in front would be an IWC Mk XVI but they’re difficult to find in the flesh and a lot to commit to without trying on (in my budget). I actually prefer it to a current Mk XVIII as it’s smaller, and the date aligns better.

So I’m considering just picking up an Archimede modern flieger (39H) as by all accounts, they’re a well made Ickler brand, very reasonably priced and have the right look. Trouble is, is this going to be the classic case of buying an homage of something I really want and regretting it or will the rule not apply as all fliegers sort of look the same anyway so there are no homages?

Thoughts and prior experiences welcome!

—-edit to add a picture—-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Idontgram; 21st August 2020 at 14:19.

Master
    Currently have this up for grabs, full set

It's the Zinex Pilots watch, before they rebranded as Zixen

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Currently have this up for grabs, full set

It's the Zinex Pilots watch, before they rebranded as Zixen
    Thanks but it’s a bit big for me!

Master
    Maybe a Laco would fit the bill, or a used Zenith

Grand Master
    i've owned a larger version of that Archimede, superb watch at the price point. the AR coating makes the crystal look invisible but it does pick up marks easily. The casework was very good for the money and mine at least was very accurate.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I have an Archimede Deck Watch that I bought to try the size and style when I was afflicted with a Dornbluth yearning. It's very well made, as you say with an Ickler case. I like it so much I put the Dornbluth purchase on hold, where it's been for 5 Years now. I don't think you'd be disappointed with one of their watches. Of course one must consider what constitutes an Aviation Watch, and afterwards thank Crusader.
    F.T.F.A.

If you can find one 2nd hand, I would recommend the modern omega dynamic as a smaller aviation type watch with plenty of warmth and character. I’ve had a number of Sinn’s, damaskso and an IWC XV in the past and its the omega that has been with me for nearly 20 years now.

Honourable mention goes to the speedbird, if you are going down the Microbrand route, you will struggle to find better VFM.

Pre-dating the look of the B-Uhr watches with plenty of character, Zenith Type 20, steel or bronze, 45 or 40mm, blue, green, black dials. If outside budget then Dreyfuss have a similar model that has some decent reviews.

Check out Stowa. I think they are better than Archimede.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Thanks all, great suggestions all round.

I suspect it’s going to come down to the archimede highlighted in my OP or maybe a stowa flieger verus as the pilot experiment, I can always trade up!

I’d kind of written off the Sinn 104 as it felt very bulky for a three-hander when I tried it on but seeing it in that picture, makes me think again...

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    ...Of course one must consider what constitutes an Aviation Watch, and afterwards thank Crusader.
    What a post! Absolutely, thanks to Crusader for some interesting and enlightening reflections!

How about Dekla?

I am very happy with my new Hanhart, quality, brand history, legibility and time keeping are superb!
    This one is 42mm

Blog Entries
    I am well chuffed with my 55mm Type A Laco Replica. Yes, it’s big but I can just about carry it off with 8 1/4” wrists. Proper big pilot, made in Germany by one of the original WW2 manufacturers.

Miss my Zenith - TZ’er I bought it from some 5 years ago caught me in a weak moment ..... and remember Zenith only watch company permitted to use ‘Pilot’ on the dial.

Better pic

Blog Entries
    Another Zenith to consider

You could always opt for something that's worn by pilots . . .

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post

I am very happy with my new Hanhart, quality, brand history, legibility and time keeping are superb!
    This one is 42mm
    Bit big for me, but I'm still jealous! That is gorgeous. Have lusted after a Pioneer MK I for years...

Pilots’ watches

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    I am well chuffed with my 55mm Type A Laco Replica. Yes, it’s big but I can just about carry it off with 8 1/4” wrists. Proper big pilot, made in Germany by one of the original WW2 manufacturers.
    These are a really nice watch and it’s on my want list.

The jacket is even better!

OP I would have a look at Fortis. They have a genuine history of making pilots watches.

For something a little left field I would also look at Glycine, another well regarded pilot watch supplier.

Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st August 2020 at 19:21.

Quite like my 40mm Stowa but these watches are a little cold looking i guess but the proportions of this are bang on for my taste anyway.

I think Fortis make the nicest looking modern pilots watches. It just so happens I’m selling one but wouldn’t have bought it if I didn't stand by that opinion. They’re a fascinating brand actually with much more history and bragging rights than almost all others but they don’t make a song and dance about it which I really like.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...lieger-GMT-PVD

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I believe this will be available soon...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Define the style you like,German is much different from British.

A nice Smiths AM would be a good place to start for a 3 hand watch its a modern classic of an old design.

Chronographs anything from a Sinn to a Seiko to a Zenith depending on the budget and style you like.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Another Zenith to consider

My favourite of them all.

here is mine.

upload photos online

Craftsman
    Another vote for the CP-2.

Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    Another vote for the CP-2.

And another one from me...

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks again one and all! Sorry, been out for a few drinks and not checked responses.

Lovely examples, too much choice!

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Define the style you like,German is much different from British.

A nice Smiths AM would be a good place to start for a 3 hand watch its a modern classic of an old design.

Chronographs anything from a Sinn to a Seiko to a Zenith depending on the budget and style you like.
    I’m not sure if this was a question or advice but as I look, I think I’m setting my sights on German style (sword hands, Arabic numerals), would like to keep it sub £1500. Chronographs welcome but most would push me out of the budget comfort zone.
    The Damasko dc56 hits the right notes. I’d be up for one at the right price. Will sleep on this one,

‘night!

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    ...too much choice!
    Indeed. At least it looks like you have narrowed things down a bit from the many possible variations.

These two hit a pleasing balance of legibility and interesting appearance for me, if not authenticity.

Although I'm not averse to the simplicity of a super legible Sinn 856 or classic Speedbird.

...or the busyness of a flightmaster.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

My favourite has to be the 90s Omega Dynamic...I've had 2 previously and stupidly flipped them when they were going for £300. That said, they are worth every penny of the £800 they currently go for. Very versatile...look good on the bracelet, a leather strap or very G10-ish if you stick it on a NATO.

Having been in both military and civil aviation for nearly two decades, I can tell you what pilots actually wear:

The most common "luxury" watch I used to see on RAF pilots was the Aerospace. This has slowly been replaced by Bremont. Most of these were special editions...brevets, unit crests etc.

Flying as a commercial pilot for major UK airline in the last 6-months, it seemed the more senior the captain got, the cheaper the watch he wore. (I did see a few senior first officers with Rolex...batman GMT etc). But most of all I saw £250k salaried captains wearing Casio F91W or equivalent. I guess you don't accrue a £2m pension pot whilst paying alimony to your first/second wives if you blow your cash on a Rolex!

Pilots like gadgets and over the years, the apple watch is definitely quite common amongst pilots.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

As someone like Christian being ex military and also a Driver of the B-777 sadly most of My compadres are copy cats very few of them have genuine horological pedigree or taste they see another Pilot wearing a Breitling Aerospace so that's what they've got to have on their wrist in that respect Christian is spot on.
    As for My self I used to wear a Citizen Windsurfing watch that I bought from H Samuels,
    A Citizen wingman VI A Casio G Shock GW3500 and now that I've decided to take redundancy I might finally invest In a Speedy Pro but the one watch I miss is My old Speedmaster MK 4.5 Calibre 1045 what a watch!Oh and a Tag Aquagraph.

Remember asking myself (and the forum) the same question not long ago.

Pilot watches for under 5k
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Loads of interesting options well below my initial budget!

Personally, I’m in love with the IWC MK XVIII silver dial but kind of hard to come by used...

The BigEye is super cool.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    The BigEye is super cool.
    Agree. I like the balance between being true to the vintage model but still passing as a modern day classic.

I've had a few pilot watches overy the years...here are some of them...

I've flipped all of these. I think I got most wear out of the Aerospace, kept the GMT-2C the longest before flipping, was particularly impressed with the accuracy of the Bulova, thought the B01 Navitimer was a much superior watch to the Moonwatch (which I found a bit basic and definitely not worth the current RRP) and I probably regret selling both the old version of the GMT-Master 2 and the Seiko Chrono the most as I know I'll never buy them at their current values.

To be honest, I eventually came round to the idea that any watch is suitable as a pilots watch...chronos were un-necessary, and the most useful features to me were a date and the quick-set hour hand that is either on the Rolex GMTs or most of the modern Omega movements.
    Last edited by Christian; 22nd August 2020 at 14:58.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb View Post
    How about Dekla?
    Seconded - cheaper than Damasko or Sinn but still with hardened steel cases for scratch-resistance, and configurable with lots of different sizes, dial colours, lumes, hands etc - perfect opportunity to get exactly the look you want

I'll be acquiring one myself at some point.

Pilots’ watches

I love my Zenith Type 20 Extra Special Pilot in 40mm ages steel

Last edited by paw3001; 22nd August 2020 at 15:38.

OP unless you have sub 7 inch wrists I'd urge you to try the current MarkXVIII on. It's very easy to find them on the high street at WOS and the like. Sure they are big (and I do have to get used to the size when I haven't worn mine for a while) but this type of pilot's watch is one of the few styles that can get away with wearing big (I've never understood how anyone can think 40mm is any where near ok for a dress watch!).

Regarding the date issue, it's really not noticeable in the flesh even on the brown sunburst dial that has a contrasting white date wheel.

This Laco does the vintage pilot watch thing for me. Maybe for you?

Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    This one is 42mm
    This, Hanharts are probably one of my favourite best kept secrets. I've got a another one on the way, after telling myself I didn't need to buy the new Revoloution limited edition one, one of the early 1939 Replikas popped up on eBay and well... It'll be here on Monday! Here's my monopusher in Hangar 10, in Germany:

I've also got a Stowa A dial, but yeah, it's quite austere, however I find the blued hands make it *just* interesting enough to love. I recently bought a Sinn 556 on the other hand, that was just too stark for me.

There was/is a nice Sinn 103 in the sales section, I'd be having a look at that too!

Craftsman
    I don't think anyone has posted one of these yet?Attachment 18160

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is the best modern version of the German WW2 style pilots watch,I won’t accept any arguments on this

https://www.timefactors.com/precistaprs42.htm

The A-13A may be worth considering -

A-13A

https://www.a-13a.com/shop/en/

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    This is the best modern version of the German WW2 style pilots watch,I won’t accept any arguments on this

https://www.timefactors.com/precistaprs42.htm
    Lovely as they are, I thought these were for navigators and bomb aimers rather than pilots.

Pilots watches.

Airman;

flightmaster;

Navitimer;

Sharkmaster....

^^^ Love it...true pilots watches!

What are you flying? Always having had a cockpit or flight deck around me, this looks like something I'd love to try sometime.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Lovely as they are, I thought these were for navigators and bomb aimers rather than pilots.
    true as are a lot of pilots watches it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    ^^^ Love it...true pilots watches!

What are you flying? Always having had a cockpit or flight deck around me, this looks like something I'd love to try sometime.
    Hi Christian, paramotor!

Pilots’ watches

I’m sure proper pilots wear some kind of Casio, but for something that looks like it has been hacked out of an F14, you could always go with one of these, for about £2k new

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk