closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Algarve - Where to Stay

Algarve - Where to Stay

I had a BA travel voucher burning a hole in my pocket from a Covid cancellation, and when Portugal was released from quarantine yesterday I booked some flights to Faro for this Sunday, literally 10 mins after the announcement, and before flight prices shot up 10+ fold.

Trouble is we’ve never been and no nothing about it, and have to make a call on the area we want to stay in very quickly, hence I thought I’d tap into some forum knowledge.

We like Parga and Stoupa in Greece if that’s anything to go by. Fairly relaxed but busy enough with plenty of places to eat and a nice vibe close to the sea. No nightclubs or any British themed stuff, like pubs, all day brekkies etc.

We’re going with older teenagers, aged 19 and 16.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Been many times and stayed in a Villa in Praia de Luz. Lagos is a short taxi ride and is a lovely place to wander round at night have a meal etc. Luz has a nice beach, some nice restaurants but isn’t busy (especially now).
    Would also look at Burgau (sp), Carvoeiro is also nice. Sagres on very far west is worth a visit for the beaches and also nice place to stay.

Master
    Randomly we booked last night to go on Monday For 4 nights as we saw the restrictions lifted. This time we are staying in Albufeira at a place called the Eden Resort which seems to be quite good on TA reviews. Normally stay near Vilamoura. I’ve stayed at the Hilton there which was nice and also had a villa in Quarteira which was lovely and close to an amazing resort which I can’t remember the name.

I’d say Albufeira as a first time, but others, will be more knowledgeable on the best place to stay but the Algarve is beautiful so you can’t really lose.

Master
    P.s. my two oldest are 21 and 19 and thought it was a good location for that age group. Lots going on.

Blog Entries
    We often go near Pêra / Lagos is lovely. Gale is lovely for a quite beach holiday - miles of sand to walk on.
    Vilamoura is upmarket if you have more cash and prefer the sight of super-yachts to fishing boats.
    Albufeira - is the biggest town but don’t recommend it - lots of plane noise.

It is still HOT in Algarve - maybe 25C at night and 30+C daytime - check weather forecasts.

Depends what you are wanting.

Hire a car - drive up / across to the west Atlantic coast - amazing coast lines and super surfIn beaches if your kids are into that sort of thing -

I would recommend hiring a car - so easy. I use this firm - can pick up from Faro airport - no messing about http://www.algarvedriver.com/

We always book via AirBnB as well
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st August 2020 at 10:49.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    P.s. my two oldest are 21 and 19 and thought it was a good location for that age group. Lots going on.
    Yes, lots of contaminating... The current wave of infections accross the EU and the UK is from young people partying.

I réally do not get this need to go abroad, travlling by air, taking potentially lethal risks for oneself and others just for a few days of leasure.
    Risk = the probablity of an incidende x the potential consequences.
    In this case the potential consequences are lethal and the chance is far from neglegible.

Bear in ming that gvt measures are a compromise between economic interests and public health riscs. Your or anyone else´s personal risc is not a factor; you and the people you may infect are just numbers in a probalibity statistic.

What is wróng with ´you´?! (note the brackets; it´s not personal)
    Why not stay in the home country and enjoy what it has to offer, support the hóme economy and not add to the risk of spreading this virus?!

Depends on budget and the type of accomodation you're looking for. We always stay somewhere in the Almancil area around Vale Do Lobo and Quinta Do Lobo. Can't really go wrong around there. Miles of sandy beaches, really good restaurants and wide choice of accomodation. Not cheap though, although it might be cheaper this year given restrictions.

Oh, and only about 25 minutes from Faro.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Yes, lots of contaminating... The current wave of infections accross the EU and the UK is from young people partying.

I réally do not get this need to go abroad, travlling by air, taking potentially lethal risks for oneself and others just for a few days of leasure.
    In this case the potential consequences are lethal and the chance is far from neglegible.

Bear in ming that gvt measures are a compromise between economic interests and public health riscs. Your or anyone else´s personal risc is not a factor; you and the people you may infect are just numbers in a probalibity statistic.

Why not stay in the home country and enjoy what it has to offer, support the hóme economy and not add to the risk of spreading this virus?!
    Whatever.

This thread is about Algarve advice. I didn’t ask for Covid advice.

Plenty of other threads contaminated by Covid for you to post on.

Bye

Master

Yawns.

Master
    Randomly we booked last night to go on Monday For 4 nights as we saw the restrictions lifted. This time we are staying in Albufeira at a place called the Eden Resort which seems to be quite good on TA reviews. Normally stay near Vilamoura. I’ve stayed at the Hilton there which was nice and also had a villa in Quarteira which was lovely and close to an amazing resort which I can’t remember the name.

I’d say Albufeira as a first time, but others, will be more knowledgeable on the best place to stay but the Algarve is beautiful so you can’t really lose.
    Each to their own but I avoid Albuferia and Vilamora like the plague, further west along the Algarve is far nicer and less busy (although I’m guessing everywhere is fairly quite now).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    although I’m guessing everywhere is fairly quite now.
    Because of???

Tatatááááá ....

Covid19.

But hey what is a pandemic for Brit holiday under the sun??

Irresponsible illustrated; congratulations.
    Fingers crsooed your family does not pic it up and way more important still; nor distributes it.

Master
    Because of???

Tatatááááá ....

Covid19.

But hey what is a pandemic for Brit holiday under the sun??

Irresponsible illustrated; congratulations.
    Fingers crsooed your family does not pic it up and way more important still; nor distributes it.
    Get a life- less than 3% need hospital care, less than 0.5% need intensive care and less than 0.3% will die and that’s even if someone actually gets it. I’ll take my chances thanks- off to Corfu next week and Crete end of September.

Grand Master
    Get a life- less than 3% need hospital care, less than 0.5% need intensive care and less than 0.3% will die and that’s even if someone actually gets it. I’ll take my chances thanks- off to Corfu next week and Crete end of September.
    This illustrates the disparity in attitudes to risk. I’m 62, I wouldn’t even dream of travelling overseas at the moment. The prospect of catching this thing doesn’t appeal, but the prospect of catching it whilst overseas appeals far less. I don’t value having an overseas holiday sufficiently to do this, I had a year with no holidays in 2014 for health reasons and I’ll have another this year.

The right answer for you us the wrong one for me, all I can say is don’t moan if it goes belly- up and you end up ill overseas or doing 14 days quarantine on return to the UK. Is a holiday really worth so much?......not to me it isn’t.

Have to agree with some of the points ‘cilla makes.

Blog Entries
    Search 'Vilamoura' and or 'Algarve' here on TZ-UK. I'm pretty sure there was a similar question here last year. Some great advice back then.

I know Vilamoura. Some parts are posh, some aren't. Certainly not Parga (I've been there as well, Villamoura is more posh). I can't say that there's a lot to do for ± 20y/olds; I simply don't know. I was there a few times for European Sailing. Those kids want to go to bed after a day on the water.

But, as said, check the Search function

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    This illustrates the disparity in attitudes to risk. I’m 62, I wouldn’t even dream of travelling overseas at the moment. The prospect of catching this thing doesn’t appeal, but the prospect of catching it whilst overseas appeals far less. I don’t value having an overseas holiday sufficiently to do this, I had a year with no holidays in 2014 for health reasons and I’ll have another this year.

The right answer for you us the wrong one for me, all I can say is don’t moan if it goes belly- up and you end up ill overseas or doing 14 days quarantine on return to the UK. Is a holiday really worth so much?......not to me it isn’t.

Have to agree with some of the points ‘cilla makes.
    I agree with you- it’s attitude to risk and the CV19 risk is tiny (unfortunately Governments have put the fear of god into people). I’m 59 and as I don’t have any underlying health conditions the risk is tiny but if the risk to you is too much that’s fine.

What I don’t agree with is people preaching and disparaging others for wanting to get on with their lives. Our economy is in a mess and people need to get back to work, children back to schools and we need to try and save some of the businesses that are in grave danger of going under.... anyway i’ll leave it there.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ah well, only 0.3% probablity of death.

You are subjecting óthers to this risk too.

By getting into an airplane you sériously increase the risk of getting and/or spreading the virus. For fun...

For those who STÍLL do not get it: Last week óne infected tourist had diner in a mountain village up the road here. Despite trying to respect the safety measures the husband and wife owners were infected. Their family was, etc.; 26 in the village were identified infected with the week. More will no doubt follow. Only a few hundred inhabitants, mainly elderly. The village is now under lockdown. Oh, statistically 1 in 30 of the elderly dies...

People getting on with their live by going on holliday and taking the risc for óthers is a warped argument.
    Get on with your life and support the local economy. That seriously reduces the riscs. Thát is the point!
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 21st August 2020 at 12:52.

So glad you're back.

Alvor is a nice place to stay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Agreed. Board walk walk lovely

Craftsman
    My dad's family is from Portimão and in my opinion you can't go wrong with staying along Praia da Rocha.

By getting into an airplane you sériously increase the risk of getting and/or spreading the virus. For fun...
    Blimey...thank God I drove.

Master
    +1 for Lagos and Bargau area
    Been to this area the last 7 years.
    Not this year unfortunately

Master
    +3 for Alvor- First visited over 20 years ago , lovely little fishing village, returned last year had changed dramatically but still one of the nicer places in the Algarve’ also recommend Carvoeiro, nice bars, restaurants and a chilled out feel.

We stayed in Carvoeiro a few years ago, quite nice, Albufeira, ugh...

Thanks for all you advice. Based on this, we have just booked a two bed rental property in the centre of Carvoeiro.

We have a hire car so will be exploring the coast and will get to all the places mentioned.

Master
    Make sure you have a meal here (need to book)

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...t_Algarve.html

Husband and wife team and it’s superb. Have the “wine with each course” option.

We stayed in Gale when I took the family to the Algarve. It was a nice quiet area with plenty of quiet beaches, this was quite a few years back so no idea what it might be like now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Thanks for all you advice. Based on this, we have just booked a two bed rental property in the centre of Carvoeiro.

We have a hire car so will be exploring the coast and will get to all the places mentioned.
    Ah well, was hoping Carvoeiro would not be mentioned but the secret is out!

We are back 1st November to at least end Feb 2021, potential covid lock down permitting.

if you like meat, make sure you book into Fim do Mundo, Ferragudo, well in advance.

As mentioned, avoid Albufeira.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Seconded. The problem with the Algarve is that it’s full of Brits so it’s better in the smaller, quieter areas and Alvor is lovely little town.

Master
    A family member has a villa near Tavira. Have been several times and would say Tavira is relatively unspoilt and one of the nicest parts of the Algarve. Plenty of restaurants, good beach and market etc.

Algarve - Where to Stay

Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    good beach.
    Beaches are very nice, but trouble is the sea temperature is just too cold to enjoy spending any time in the sea, which is a real shame. Especially since at the end of August the sea is at its warmest.

The sea temperature in Greece in May half term was warmer the the Algarve is in late August.

If you had small kids (I don’t) I think you’d be really disappointed. Even with older teens we are a bit disappointed as we like to spend quite a bit of time in the sea larking about.

On the plus side it means the air temperature is much more comfortable than the Med.

Master

For those who STÍLL do not get it: Last week óne infected tourist had diner in a mountain village up the road here. Despite trying to respect the safety measures the husband and wife owners were infected. Their family was, etc.; 26 in the village were identified infected with the week. More will no doubt follow. Only a few hundred inhabitants, mainly elderly. The village is now under lockdown. Oh, statistically 1 in 30 of the elderly dies...

People getting on with their live by going on holliday and taking the risc for óthers is a warped argument.
    Get on with your life and support the local economy. That seriously reduces the riscs. Thát is the point!
    I truly see your point (we stuck to a few days away in the lakes) but if Spain* is open and welcoming tourists, the temptation for people to travel is there, and Covid can travel too, both ways mind, don't open for tourists and stay safe. No risk involved.
    * other places are available.

Master
    I will second Praia de Luz, over the last 20 years we have spent many a happy holiday in Luz.

Blog Entries
    I'd avoid - Praia da Rocha, unless you like lots of tourists. It's been changed into hotel city (and not in a nice way). Has a beautiful beach though.

Master
    I’m in Quarteira now. First time here and it’s an authentic Portuguese resort. Hardly any Brits, cloudless sky and 35 degrees.

I think the polite description might be ‘faded’ though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Then go to Marufo 1 if you like chicken! It’s amazing. Spit and sawdust place just off a roundabout. Very old fashioned and a bit tatty. You get there for opening and you won’t believe how quick it fills up. Reviews on TA seems to be either 5 star (best I’ve ever eaten) or 1 star (rude waiters).

We stayed in an amazing villa just up the road last year and went there a few times. We are staying at a family resort outside Albufeira right now as it’s got great children’s facilities for our 4 year old but considering getting a taxi there just for the chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I’m in Quarteira now. First time here and it’s an authentic Portuguese resort. Hardly any Brits, cloudless sky and 35 degrees.

I think the polite description might be ‘faded’ though!

Large cafe in Alvor had all Estrella Dam for 90 cents a pint (yes, 81p a pint of lager) and it was an all day offer, not just happy hour.

Of course I had to stop and try what must be the one if the cheapest pints of lager in the world.

Can’t even get close to that price for an equivalent pint in Vietnam.

Master
    We’ve had a lovely few days here. Weather has been amazing. Our resort was really good as we had a 4 year old. Loads of water activities and a pirate ship.

Only went into Albufeira once and it was okay but not our sort of thing. Really really quiet but I’d imagine if it was busy it wouldn’t be the best.

Hired a car and went to Quarteira to our favourite chicken restaurant and that was great.

Had a nice afternoon in Carvoeiro.

Highlight for us was Guia (or Galé) which is only a few miles away from Albufeira but the beach was beautiful. Full of Portuguese which I guess tells you everything. May look to stay here next time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    We’ve had a lovely few days here. Weather has been amazing. Our resort was really good as we had a 4 year old. Loads of water activities and a pirate ship.

Only went into Albufeira once and it was okay but not our sort of thing. Really really quiet but I’d imagine if it was busy it wouldn’t be the best.

Hired a car and went to Quarteira to our favourite chicken restaurant and that was great.

Had a nice afternoon in Carvoeiro.

Highlight for us was Guia (or Galé) which is only a few miles away from Albufeira but the beach was beautiful. Full of Portuguese which I guess tells you everything. May look to stay here next time.
    Great to hear that.

Craftsman
    Obviously I am biased as a very keen golfer but if you like golf then Monte Rei in the Eastern Algarve is simply stunning. About 45 mins from Faro, the golf is one of the very best courses in Europe and the Michelin-starred restaurant is great.

As per previous post, the surrounding area of Tavira is lovely and way less full of Brits than Quinta etc.

FJ

Having just come back from the Algarve, I can say we enjoyed it, and it exceeded our expectations. But, our expectations were pretty low.

We travelled all over the Algarve and have to say that Carvoeiro as a base was a good choice.

We also liked Lagos a lot, even though I was prepared to hate it as I understand it can be a bit of a party town. Lagos appeared genuinely somewhere you could spend the winter, as there was a nice buzz about it.

The western Algarve was much more scenic and had cooler temperatures than the East (by around 5 degC). Which in August made the West a much more comfortable place to be.

Swimming in the sea was warm enough as long as you found gently shelving beaches. It is the Atlantic, not the Med, so the water is 6-8 degC cooler which makes a big difference to spending time in the water. Best beach was Praia de Alvor. It was too cold to swim at Bengali and Carvoeiro beaches. A small issue you don’t think about too much when choosing a holiday, but if you have kids the much cooler seawater temperatures is not good news and can be a bit of a deal breaker.

Unsurprisingly not many Brits around on the beach, but packed with Portuguese. I found them to be lovely, courteous and friendly. No boom boxes or crates of beers on the beach. No screaming and general tomfoolery you get with the equivalent young Brits, which can wear you down a bit.

Tavira in the East was nice, but very quiet, nay dead. We didn’t warm to Olhão. We would have been bored if we stayed there. And we purposely stayed well clear of Albufeira, so can’t comment on that town.

Although we enjoyed it and are glad we ticked it off our list I don’t think we will be back.

A holiday for me is true scenic splendour and local tavernas on or lining the beach. No signs of concrete hotels or tower blocks lining the beach is my idea of a holiday. And that’s where Greece excels over the Algarve. Even if you find a nice location, you are never too far from poor concrete architecture, even in Carvoeiro, which is considered one of the best towns to stay.

If it wasn’t for the nicer weather and coastline, it felt a bit like posh Essex to us.

Also I didn’t find Portugal particularly cheap, apart from some alcohol. Probably more down the the fact that Sterling is currently a toilet currency, and you are not getting a lot more than parity for Euros.

It will be back to Greece for us next year.

Master
    Having just come back from the Algarve, I can say we enjoyed it, and it exceeded our expectations. But, our expectations were pretty low.

We travelled all over the Algarve and have to say that Carvoeiro as a base was a good choice.

We also liked Lagos a lot, even though I was prepared to hate it as I understand it can be a bit of a party town. Lagos appeared genuinely somewhere you could spend the winter, as there was a nice buzz about it.

The western Algarve was much more scenic and had cooler temperatures than the East (by around 5 degC). Which in August made the West a much more comfortable place to be.

Swimming in the sea was warm enough as long as you found gently shelving beaches. It is the Atlantic, not the Med, so the water is 6-8 degC cooler which makes a big difference to spending time in the water. Best beach was Praia de Alvor. It was too cold to swim at Bengali and Carvoeiro beaches. A small issue you don’t think about too much when choosing a holiday, but if you have kids the much cooler seawater temperatures is not good news and can be a bit of a deal breaker.

Unsurprisingly not many Brits around on the beach, but packed with Portuguese. I found them to be lovely, courteous and friendly. No boom boxes or crates of beers on the beach. No screaming and general tomfoolery you get with the equivalent young Brits, which can wear you down a bit.

Tavira in the East was nice, but very quiet, nay dead. We didn’t warm to Olhão. We would have been bored if we stayed there. And we purposely stayed well clear of Albufeira, so can’t comment on that town.

Although we enjoyed it and are glad we ticked it off our list I don’t think we will be back.

A holiday for me is true scenic splendour and local tavernas on or lining the beach. No signs of concrete hotels or tower blocks lining the beach is my idea of a holiday. And that’s where Greece excels over the Algarve. Even if you find a nice location, you are never too far from poor concrete architecture, even in Carvoeiro, which is considered one of the best towns to stay.

If it wasn’t for the nicer weather and coastline, it felt a bit like posh Essex to us.

Also I didn’t find Portugal particularly cheap, apart from some alcohol. Probably more down the the fact that Sterling is currently a toilet currency, and you are not getting a lot more than parity for Euros.

It will be back to Greece for us next year.
    I agree with much of what you have said. We visited Portugal (Luz) a few times with younger kids and had a long weekend there three years ago. Always a villa with pool as you say the water is too cold.
    Greece for us is better because of the rustic, low rise nature and beach tavernas. I’m sat in Corfu at the moment and Crete later in September. I think Greece is a little pricer this year but not much and the people are even more welcoming.

Master

I've never heard of anybody disliking Lagos and its certainly no party town even in high season.
    You get quite a few youngsters(a lot of ozzies) who come for surfing but it's far from rowdy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FHKJ View Post
    Obviously I am biased as a very keen golfer but if you like golf then Monte Rei in the Eastern Algarve is simply stunning. About 45 mins from Faro, the golf is one of the very best courses in Europe and the Michelin-starred restaurant is great.

As per previous post, the surrounding area of Tavira is lovely and way less full of Brits than Quinta etc.

FJ

Agree with your Monte Rei comments
    It is one stunning golf course and a very high end complex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I've never heard of anybody disliking Lagos and its certainly no party town even in high season.
    You get quite a few youngsters(a lot of ozzies) who come for surfing but it's far from rowdy.
    No I haven’t either- very family oriented when we’ve been