Thread: Watches of Switzerland Regent St -- deposit

Journeyman
    Congrats mate. Let’s see some pics

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott88 View Post
    Congrats mate. Let’s see some pics

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'll have some pics up as soon as I can get it.
    Annoyingly something has come up tomorrow, but early next week should be good.

It's going to be a long few days.
    Still - it gives me a chance to sort out my insurance.

Apprentice
    It's good that I didn't try and collect it on Friday or over the weekend.

I got a call saying that they'd just realised that the model was the older Submariner and not the new model.
    This guy is good -- he'd already called up and arranged for the new model to be sent to the store. So I should get a call on shortly telling me when I can pick it up.

Master
    That’s extremely unfortunate

Master
    Maybe ask him if you can buy both?

I would have taken the older model. It would literally have been one of the very last of those models issued. Both nice watches though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    I would have taken the older model. It would literally have been one of the very last of those models issued. Both nice watches though

I'm not buying to collect. I'm buying to wear. At least for this model.

It would indeed be intriguing to see the old model with an Oct 2020 warranty card though.

Anyway, the guy's been extremely professional and I was impressed that by the time he called me, he'd already arranged for resolution. Once I heard him say 'unfortunately we have the old model' I was disappointed and expected he'd refund my payment or something. The only thing that's made me think twice about the old vs new is that I found the old comfortable and have heard the new fits differently. Supposedly the older movement is much more easily serviceable by watchmakers (ie non Rolex) and the new model requires a movement replacement if anything goes wrong. But I don't anticipate getting my watch serviced outside of Rolex and I don't think my watch will be classic enough that it will warrant trying to keep the old movement.

Master

Watches of Switzerland Regent St -- deposit

Hmmmm... did he offer you that old model? Wasn’’t that the one you initially put name down for? What will they do with it now, if they are not going to offer to customers like you who had their name down for it!?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Hmmmm... did he offer you that old model? Wasn’’t that the one you initially put name down for? What will they do with it now, if they are not going to offer to customers like you who had their name down for it!?
    They will just put it in the shop window. It will be sold within a day or so and then on eBay for £31,000.

Apprentice
    I’m chuffed. Had to remove two links as I’ve small wrists.

Congratulations, nice watch.

That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by samrolex94 View Post

Sent from my SM-G960U using TZ-UK mobile app

That looks really nice!

Also the watch looks nice too

Enjoy it, stunning watch!

I hope that was a free bottle from the AD?

Apprentice
    I hope that was a free bottle from the AD?

It wasn’t. I figured I’d use today as an excuse to treat myself and try it.

I love a good peaty whiskey and Laphroaig is my favourite. It’s definitely refined and very smooth, but it doesn’t have the finish I’d expect.

Funny story - I was looking at the inner clasp and found a horrible indentation. Texted the guy at 8PM and he assured me it was just a sticker that had not been removed properly. I really didn’t believe this because I could physically feel an indentation. But indeed, I found the edge of the sticker and it was solved. He confirmed that my watch shipped directly from Switzerland.

Watches of Switzerland Regent St -- deposit

It wasn’t. I figured I’d use today as an excuse to treat myself and try it.

I love a good peaty whiskey and Laphroaig is my favourite. It’s definitely refined and very smooth, but it doesn’t have the finish I’d expect.

Funny story - I was looking at the inner clasp and found a horrible indentation. Texted the guy at 8PM and he assured me it was just a sticker that had not been removed properly. I really didn’t believe this because I could physically feel an indentation. But indeed, I found the edge of the sticker and it was solved. He confirmed that my watch shipped directly from Switzerland.
    Wear that beauty in good health!

Rolex leaving stickers ON?!?!?! They need their licence revoked immediately! Haha. Stay safe man.

Apprentice
    Wear that beauty in good health!

Rolex leaving stickers ON?!?!?! They need their licence revoked immediately! Haha. Stay safe man.

I collected the watch from Old Bond St (boutique) and not Regent St.
    The guy I dealt with was planning to come in but seemed to have an issue at home and his wife couldn't work from home (builder related).

He told me yesterday to text him (he gave me his personal number), hence the text about the scratches, and let him know how it went.

I've got to say this bloke (Alain - FYI) is professional. He called up, admitted that there was a problem and he'd called not to tell me that there was a problem but rather that he'd already put a solution in place.

I can't stop looking at the thing. When's the novelty wear off?
    Last edited by samrolex94; 27th October 2020 at 00:42.

Apprentice
    I also wanted to say thank you very much to those that advised me in this thread (and gave me some hope) that I'd get one of these.
    I suspect I'll be posting on this forum a fair bit.

Cheers chaps

Blog Entries
    That looks spectacular in gold.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I collected the watch from Old Bond St (boutique) and not Regent St.

I can't stop looking at the thing. When's the novelty wear off?
    The novelty NEVER wears off on a piece like that!

I wonder what else is available from WOS with a deposit offered up front.... hmmm

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I wonder what else is available from WOS with a deposit offered up front.... hmmm
    I was actually informed that I was very lucky and that the company policy is to no longer take deposits for high demand watches.
    I don't think he would have taken me seriously otherwise.

It’s on the wrist now! Have you looked at insurance for this bad boy?!

Master
    Congratulations!

Any chance of some decent photos? Not sure if it’s just my iPad, but the one you posted above is tiny and pixelated when zooming in.

Blog Entries

Just making the images bigger - I hope you don't mind - but they deserve bigger pics - that must feel amazing being solid gold including bracelet? :

What a fantastic looking submariner! Well done, you must be well happy!!

NB: I got my YM Rose Gold from Old Bond Street recently - I must say I echo the excellent customer service. Though I only got champagne with mine rather than whisky!

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th October 2020 at 19:20.

Master
    Cheers Martyn, they’re very clear now

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Just making the images bigger - I hope you don't mind - but they deserve bigger pics - that must feel amazing being solid gold including bracelet? :

What a fantastic looking submariner! Well done, you must be well happy!!

NB: I got my YM Rose Gold from Old Bond Street recently - I must say I echo the excellent customer service. Though I only got champagne with mine rather than whisky!

Martyn
    Hi Martyn,

No problem problem enlarging those images. They should have been clickable to enlarge them anyway.

I didn't get anything from the AD and purchased that bottle myself.
    The guy I dealt with wasn't there, as he had something to deal with.

Did you actually get a bottle, or a glass?
    I did tell them I was driving in -- so I imagine if it's just a glass, they don't want to encourage drink driving.

They were also under a fair bit of stress.
    A bloke walked in and wanted to register his interest for a steel daytona. The lady told him quite frankly he'd need a 'relationship', i.e purchase history and that the professional models are given as a thank you to clients.

He claimed that he'd bought loads of watches in the past and even had a watch shop (this rings like grey market flipper).
    He then says maybe the watches were bought under his wife's email. Nope.

He then starts getting pretty angry and insists he has the watch in the poster behind the lady, latest model.
    It's a two-tone bluesy sub... and she just says 'What -- this one that we launched a month ago?'

It was pretty funny.
    He requests a GMT and some other models and the lady straight up states that for some models they need to go to director level with a bio of why you want the watch. That does seem a bit OTT to me, but he says that he wants them because they are desirable...

My guess is that he wanted to buy a 2nd hand Rolex expecting a discount, saw that the grey market commands a premium for some models and thought he could get in on the action.

There was also a guy that walked in and said that he had a single scratch on his watch after 6 months of ownership. It was a steel model.
    They told him they can polish it out but it needs servicing. He asked if it would weigh less. Maybe that's a genuine concern. He wants the same chunkiness to it, but a little bit of steel shaved off is not going to reduce the value and these watches are meant to be scratched.

I've already got some scratches on my watch (light) and I don't mind. It's meant to be used. My concern yesterday about the deep scratch was that I'd like to be the one that scratches the watch and expect it in good condition from factory. Fortunately, just a deceiving sticker..

P.S. adding a teaspoon of water to the JW Blue has really made the difference. I think it's the best scotch I've had in my life.

Apprentice
    It’s on the wrist now! Have you looked at insurance for this bad boy?!

Chucked it on contents. Much less restrictive like single-item insurance in terms of storage.
    I've got a registered shotgun, so I was surprised by the other insurance companies that my cabinet which is bolted in to the wall is good enough for a weapon but not for this watch.. Money talks I suppose.

£350 a year on contents with £150 excess. My contents is for £150k with anything <£5k not needing itemising.

Highworth insurance offered me insurance but said they wouldn't be able to beat this as they usually charge 2.5-3% of the watch's value as an annual premium.

Are you sure on the whisky you've been drinking. You said "I love a good peaty whisky... Laphroaig is my favourite" but the photo shows a bottle of Blue Label.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Apprentice
    I know what I drank and it was not Laphroaig. I wasn’t clear but what I meant is that Laphroaig is usually my choice.

I bought the JW Blue after reading that it had a good peaty taste, wanted to try something new and I’m not disappointed. I think it’s a new contender, but it needed that bit of water to bring out its charisma.

Hi Simon. Welcome back!

Blog Entries
    Hi Martyn,

No problem problem enlarging those images. They should have been clickable to enlarge them anyway.

P.S. adding a teaspoon of water to the JW Blue has really made the difference. I think it's the best scotch I've had in my life.
    Hey Simon - Thanks for the back story. I can recommend joining in with the vGTG - zoom meeting - that happens every other Thursday for TZ. There has been much discussion of the amount of water to add to a whisky - the consensus is a 'drop' at the moment!

Also, I was contacted by WoS Bond Street a couple weeks ago by email with no reply - but got an apologetic reply this week. They'd had to close for 2 weeks because of a Covid outbreak in the store - could have been that tw&t you mentioned - I wonder if he was wearing a mask while giving his remonstration?

NB: I got a half bottle of champagne, which I took home carefully - still in the fridge actually.

Cheers Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 4th November 2020 at 19:46.

Apprentice
    I've posted this in another thread regarding Rolex finishing quality, but can anyone check my post here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5580482

Many thanks

Sam

Without seeing it in too much detail it looks like marks from the inside of the clasp rubbing on the caseback?

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    Without seeing it in too much detail it looks like marks from the inside of the clasp rubbing on the caseback?
    That’s a good shout. OP- when you take the watch off and lay it down, do you let the caseback rest on the clasp?

Master
    That’s a good shout. OP- when you take the watch off and lay it down, do you let the caseback rest on the clasp?

I always do in my 7 year old Exp II and it doesn’t look anything like as bad as that.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I always do in my 7 year old Exp II and it doesn’t look anything like as bad as that.
    Stainless steel is a hell of a lot harder than 18K gold.

Master
    Stainless steel is a hell of a lot harder than 18K gold.

True, I did think that as I posted my comment actually

I've posted this in another thread regarding Rolex finishing quality, but can anyone check my post here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5580482

Many thanks

Sam
    What are the small circles on the back of the lugs? Are they casting or machining marks?

Regarding the marks on your case back I agree they could be from the clasp.

To be honest, I wouldn't let minor marks (you mentioned they look worse on the photo that in real life) on a part of the watch you can't even see on the wrist bother you.

Easily polished in the future and as this watch is intended for daily wear it's going to pick up it's fair share of scratches over time. It's inevitable with gold. So no biggy, don't let it spoil your enjoyment of a great watch

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    What are the small circles on the back of the lugs? Are they casting or machining marks?

Regarding the marks on your case back I agree they could be from the clasp.
    I think the marks on the back of the lugs are the 18k gold stamp?

I think the marks on the back of the lugs are the 18k gold stamp?

That makes sense, thanks!

Apprentice

I lay it on its side.
    But it was like this from day 0 as soon as I got it home.

I can indeed see now, having pushed the clasp against the case how this could happen.
    Mystery is indeed likely solved

Apprentice
    I wanted to get my Dad an SS sub as a gift and mentioned this to the AD at the time.
    I've just got the call saying that it's ready for collection using their click and drop service.

That's good service!

I wanted to get my Dad an SS sub as a gift and mentioned this to the AD at the time.
    I've just got the call saying that it's ready for collection using their click and drop service.

That's good service!
    Mention to them next how your aunty really wants a Daytona

Master
    This whole thing smells a bit fishy

Apprentice
    How so? The AD have sent the invoice today and I've made the payment. I can't see them pulling any tricks..

The AD told me when I collected the gold watch that they're seeing a lot of stainless steel models but not so many PM models now. He said that usually they have a gold model of a watch in the safe at pretty much any given time, but this hasn't been the case recently. Maybe Rolex are trying to resolve some of the grey market issues by focusing on specific SS models.

I was offered two options: a click and collect service, which just means they'll hand it to me at the door or to go in in person after lockdown and have it fitted. As it's a gift, I'm going for the latter as he should have it in time for Christmas anyway.

I did notice that the timing was quite convenient.. I wrote to the guy at the AD thanking him for the customer service and to tell him I'm happy with the watch, emphasising that a stainless steel piece would be a great gift for my father and
    today I got the call saying that it's ready.

Odd comment without any context. What is it that's giving off an unpleasant odour?

Apprentice
    Hi again chaps

On Thursday my old man collected his stainless steel submariner
    The service at Regent St is much better than Old Bond St.

We were there for about an hour and a half and nothing felt rushed.

The manager had a look at the marks I reported on the back of my watch and they said they will refinish the case back. The watchmaker who is doing this is apparently one of the two Rolex accredited watchmakers in the Watches of Switzerland group, so I think it's in good hands.
    I was also asked if I had any interest in other stainless steel pieces. I would not mind a cermit for my collection,so registered my interest for that.

I also registered my interest for a gold daytona with a green dial but I have been told there will be quite a wait for that as it is a very in demand piece.

I don't think they engrave the serial number in font size 72.