closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch for my sons 21st

Apprentice

Lightbulb Watch for my sons 21st

Hi, I am looking at a watch for my son's 21st in December and would appreciate any input or advice on what to look for?

I have a number of decent watches myself Rolex DS, Bremotnt, Panerai, TAG(s) and Seamasters so am not entirely new to the watch arena but viewing the discussions on this site, I appreciate that there is a heck of a lot to learn and I haven't really scratched the surface.

I have a budget f of around £3k and have been looking at the Tudor Black Bay - https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watche...y/m79230n-0008 and also the Bremont Solo - https://www.bremont.com/collections/...oducts/solo-wh

He has specified he would like the strap to be leather with is fair enough.

I am not averse to a good quality 2nd hand watch, which of course broadens my search options somewhat, but the bottom line it is his choice at the end of the day!

Any feedback greatly appreciated - Thx

Apprentice
    This doesn’t really answer your question, but perhaps one from your own collection would be an option? Or, if there’s a brand that he associates with you, following that heritage would be nice.

My father gave me his old Fender Stratocaster on my 21st and I have more of a connection to that guitar than any of the others I own.

Failing the above, the Tudor Black Bay would make a nice present and is versatile enough to wear on different straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I presume it will be his only watch and as such, you’d be looking at something versatile (casual and formal), wear everyday etc...

In my opinion, at 3K, you’ll struggle to do better than a black bay 58 in terms of quality, versatility, brand recognition etc... however tastes will vary.

If you’re willing to dip in to the used market, you could find an Omega aqua terra at around that price too. I think just as/more versatile than the Tudor and arguably a step up.

Also could consider an IWC Mark XVI, used. It’s probably the least value for money but pretty iconic and very versatile.

Lastly, for something out of left field but would probably appeal to younger folks, you could consider a Nomos; lots of choice in that budget but my pick would be a Metro gangreserve or an ahoi.

Lots of options out there and all depend on taste and purpose. A speedmaster will also come into play used but I think that’s an insider’s pick...

Quote Originally Posted by themightymolecule View Post
    This doesn’t really answer your question, but perhaps one from your own collection would be an option? Or, if there’s a brand that he associates with you, following that heritage would be nice.

My father gave me his old Fender Stratocaster on my 21st and I have more of a connection to that guitar than any of the others I own.

Failing the above, the Tudor Black Bay would make a nice present and is versatile enough to wear on different straps.

Agreed. Perhaps the present could be the watch and then the servicings it'll need in future? The PAM might tick the leather strap box...

With a £3K budget I would go for a Tudor black bay too.

I like the idea of perhaps having one of your own watches serviced and passing that on.

Although if it’s a completely new watch the Tudor BB58 would be a great option. Maybe buy it on bracelet and get an additional leather strap.

Craftsman
    Absolutely the Tudor out of the two you mentioned.

NOMOS is an acquired taste, if you think he'll like it then he'll really like it, if you know what I mean.

You're potentially into entry level Grand Seiko territiory as well, something like this:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/seiko/sei...id12680396.htm

Master
    Another vote for the Tudor...sounds silly saying this about a £3k watch - but it feels good value for money, 5 year warranty and of course brand heritage is there.

ETA: Could be worth buying on a bracelet and purchasing the leather separately so that he has both options.

Blog Entries
    What kind of watch does your son like? Sporty, classic, chronograph, ani-digital, complex, simple? Ask what size and shape? Then look around at watch sites that give you a price range and take it from there

try Watchfinder.co.uk -

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/watche...erPriceTo=3200

Master
    A used Planet Ocean would be great for a 21 yr old, the brand is there, the watch is striking and fits all environments, plus a GShock for when he's at the skate park

Anything by Longines would be a good shout. Legend Diver on sailcloth, perhaps? Hydroconquest?

Beyond that, the very handsome TAG Heuer Autavia on a leather strap would be well within reach, as would most things by Oris.

If you’re going Tudor I think there’s a lot of value in the BB36 or BB41. Unbelievably versatile watches that could easily be his one watch for life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    A used Planet Ocean would be great for a 21 yr old, the brand is there, the watch is striking and fits all environments, plus a GShock for when he's at the skate park
    I was going to suggest a second hand seamaster and g-shock but a planet ocean works too. I think for his age an omega seamaster would probably be a better bet than a Tudor.

Got a Speedmaster for my sons 18th, and he was just saying the other day (16 years later) that we couldn't have chosen better. Will stand the test of time and versatile. I'm wearing a BB58 as I type this. Great watch and classic looks, but a relatively new model. Will it still look good in 15 years. I think so, but I know the Speedmaster will.

I would think for a young lad a Tudor BB58 would be a great shout.

Easy to obtain a gilt or blue dial model if you ring around a few AD’s.

Baring in mind that I am a 45 year old watch geek, this would be my choice given the criteria:

1) Tudor Black Bay 58
    2) something from Nomos (let him see the models. Metro is a good start. As someone else said, if he likes Nomos he'll love this option)
    3) Longines Spirit (L3.810.4.53.0) in 40mm.
    4) IWC Mark XVIII (will need to be used). As well as the traditional black dial there are blue and brown sunburst available.

Craftsman
    As others have said, the BB58 is hard to beat at that price range. As an only watch on leather, I'd go with the black variant, though I personally plan on getting a blue one at some point soon.

Master
    Take him shopping and let him choose his own. Imagine spending 3k on a watch that he can't stand but has to pretend he loves. Even worse if he finds out that watch was chosen for him by a bunch of nerds on a watch forum.

Apprentice
    Wow what am amazing forum, so many replies in such a short space of time - thank you!

To quote a couple of responses - my son will eventually inherit all my watches, so buying one more
    for his 21st is another added bonus for the collection

I glad I seem to have wide approval for the Tudor BB, it is a favourite and he has had a good look through the latest brochure and liked these also.

Very surprised that no one has mentioned the Bremont Solo - good price, good company in my opinion.

Some other great advice that I never considered Normos, Planet Ocean, Longines amongst others.

Not forgetting that it is his choice at the end of all this, but plenty of new of research for me still to do on his behalf.

Many thanks again

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennyboybruce View Post

I glad I seem to have wide approval for the Tudor BB, it is a favourite and he has had a good look through the latest brochure and liked these also.
    There you go then - prior approval is very helpful indeed! From my perspective, no reason to get anything different.

The only other one I'd look at would be a straight-up Speedmaster moonwatch. They're fantastic and endlessly versatile. And they look amazing on leather.

And you could always get either with bracelet so he has the option (add on the leather through the AD or otherwise).

I guess you need to think about how he styles himself too - if he's a smarter dresser (chinos and collars) the Speedy is going to be a better option. If he's a jeans and a t-shirt guy, either would do the trick.

Very surprised that no one has mentioned the Bremont Solo - good price, good company in my opinion.
    There are no wrong choices, it’s important to buy what one likes but since you mentioned it... Bremont gets a bit of a bad rep amongst some for being a bit over priced and mis-marketed. Absolutely nothing wrong with the watches themselves though and there’s no reason why a load of watch nerds should put you or your son off, if you like them.

Master
    Planet Ocean is a great option for sub-£3k, but I'd argue that as a proper diving watch it doesn't look great on leather, IMHO (which was a stated preference). Less smart too so less versatile.

Journeyman
    I hope this is not taken the wrong way as it’s not meant with any negativity but here goes ..

I think a good quality affordable watch is the way to go and if he appreciates watches and earns his own first luxury watch it will mean a lot more to him.A €3k watch imho is something that needs to be earned not gifted .

Craftsman
    Wow what am amazing forum, so many replies in such a short space of time - thank you!
    The threads where we get to spend someone else's money are always the best

Journeyman
    I would mostly second the comments already made - the Black Bay 58 (which I'm wearing right now) is in many ways the perfect choice. It's smart, durable, has classic, timeless looks, and can dress up or down with ease to an extent that is rare for a diver. It sounds like your son likes Tudors already, so clearly it would be on the right track as far as his tastes go.

My other first thought as to what I would buy for a son is, as others have mentioned, a Speedmaster. They look stunning on a leather strap and have timeless good looks and appeal. I suppose part of the question is does your son already have a diver, as the Speedmaster obviously is limited as to swimming/water resistance, making it a little less versatile.

If I were in your position, the above two watches would be my first picks. On second thought, it occurs to me Oris makes some great looking watches, especially divers, at a good price - something to consider if he likes the idea of a diver and you want to buy something a bit less flashy. And Longines makes some great dress watches. But if you can afford to stretch to Tudor or a Speedy, I can't help but feel these would stand a better chance of remaining in his collection throughout his whole life.

My final thought would be if your son doesn't care about a diver and wants a proper dress watch on a leather strap, it could be worth looking into a vintage watch. My parents gave me a watch that belonged to my grandfather for my 21st, a gold Rolex on a leather strap. At the time I already had a diver and was really pleased to have such a beautiful dress watch. But I have always loved the look of vintage watches, which might not be your son's thing. Still, if what he is after ends up being a dress watch, this would allow you to consider brands like Rolex, Omega, and even some Vacheron/AP which would otherwise not fit within the £3k budget.
    Last edited by Lantenac06; 19th August 2020 at 16:57.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
    I hope this is not taken the wrong way as it’s not meant with any negativity but here goes ..

I think a good quality affordable watch is the way to go and if he appreciates watches and earns his own first luxury watch it will mean a lot more to him.A €3k watch imho is something that needs to be earned not gifted .
    No offence taken, and I would normally fully agree with your statement, but a 21st birthday is a once in a lifetime celebration, he is also a smashing hardworking level headed young man in whom i am extremely proud

Journeyman
    I would also agree with the tudor route. I can highly recommend the bb58

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I'd get him a used Moonwatch at that price I think, don't think there is a better watch with that sort of heritage at the price.

Journeyman
    Your son is lucky to have such a great father!

And although I absolutely take the point that many would feel an expensive watch is an inappropriate gift for a young person, I personally don't agree. My parents gave me watches at key graduations/birthdays such that by the time I graduated from university I had a few reasonably fine pieces. It always meant the world to me that they esteemed me so highly - like the way you feel about your son, I knew they would not have given them to me if they hadn't been extremely proud of me - and I have worn them with pride ever since. Indeed, it took me quite a few years to invest in any watches of my own because the watches they gave me meant so much, and were good enough that I never outgrew them or felt a need to replace them with anything new.

I'm sure your son will feel the same. Keep us updated as to what you/he decides!

No offence taken, and I would normally fully agree with your statement, but a 21st birthday is a once in a lifetime celebration, he is also a smashing hardworking level headed young man in whom i am extremely proud

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorG View Post
    I'd get him a used Moonwatch at that price I think, don't think there is a better watch with that sort of heritage at the price.
    My friends grandchildren used to be fascinated by my moon watch. When gave them a proper look they sad " wow a proper old persons watch"

I think a Tudor BB would be a good shout.

I know it’s not as easy at the moment but why not suggest going out for the day watch shopping so you can spend the time together trying different watches on so he gets something he really loves? I did this with my dad for my 18th and it was great

Jon

Craftsman
    Another BB58 vote. In relative terms it’s great value, it’s not flash, it’s good quality and it’s a nice introduction to watches. You put in a link to the beefier, heavier BB, and that could work, but I prefer the dimensions of the 58. Someone mentioned Nomos and although I don’t own one, I like them a lot...plus they are a bit different to the norm. I suspect residuals aren’t very strong for them compared to the Tudor but I hope your son won’t be selling his 21st birthday present any time soon, if ever.

Craftsman
    Also others have commented that it’s best bought on a bracelet. The economics make a lot of sense. You can buy aftermarket straps for little money but to buy the bracelet later will cost you!

Master
    If he's anything like the teenagers I know he will prefer a G-shock and a big wad of cash to spend on something he really wants.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    If he's anything like the teenagers I know he will prefer a G-shock and a big wad of cash to spend on something he really wants.
    OP has already indicated that his son appears to be interested in watches plus that he will ultimately get to decide what watch he gets.

I recently had a Black Bay 41. It was ok i guess.

Didnt like not having AR with a flat crystal, the timekeeping was worse than most of my other watches costing 10 times less.

As for the Solo it seems they go for £1300 on here after 18 months so devalue like an alfa romeo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    OP has already indicated that his son appears to be interested in watches plus that he will ultimately get to decide what watch he gets.
    Yes I've read the OP. I just thought it worth considering that he may prefer a cheaper watch and the rest in cash. I know I certainly would at that age. The OP did day all feed back was appreciated.

Craftsman
    I understand where everyone is coming from on the Tudor and they're right - it's a very good looking watch. However for the sake of discussion, what about a Breitling Superocean Heritage 42 ?

With a bit of hunting around you can buy one on a rubber strap brand new for just over £3k. I think it's a good looking thing too.

If you can stretch to a speedmaster that would get my vote. A classic which will last him many years. With a bit of negotiation you might be able to get close to the budget you have.

Journeyman
    Hi, I am looking at a watch for my son's 21st in December and would appreciate any input or advice on what to look for?

I have a number of decent watches myself Rolex DS, Bremotnt, Panerai, TAG(s) and Seamasters so am not entirely new to the watch arena but viewing the discussions on this site, I appreciate that there is a heck of a lot to learn and I haven't really scratched the surface.

I have a budget f of around £3k and have been looking at the Tudor Black Bay - https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watche...y/m79230n-0008 and also the Bremont Solo - https://www.bremont.com/collections/...oducts/solo-wh

He has specified he would like the strap to be leather with is fair enough.

I am not averse to a good quality 2nd hand watch, which of course broadens my search options somewhat, but the bottom line it is his choice at the end of the day!

Any feedback greatly appreciated - Thx
    I gave my son for 18 th birthday my omega smp he liked very much at that moment now he wants my explorer
    But ı think ıt s very good give a present to your son which write on it british or london
    So my vote is bremont

Craftsman
    Our son is 18 next year and i was thinking of picking up a secondhand quartz seamaster for him. I bought my own recently for about 1200 pounds and its absolutely mint. I think starting out in work etc most people seem to start with a dive watch of some description. I think 21 is a better age to buy a nice watch as your less likely to get it lost or stolen if you are in college etc..

Master
    a 21st birthday is a once in a lifetime celebration
    So is a 22nd birthday, and a 23rd birthday, and a 24th birthday....

At that price Tudor all the way, it'll only increase in value over the years as you know. My 21st (1992) was a £250 Zenith that's now worth a ton tops, if my dad had tabled a little over double that a Rolex Sub or Breitling Nav would have been the offering. Hey ho!

And personally I think with it being a likely heirloom item it should be brand new, so I would veto anything used.

Apprentice

BB58 is an amazing watch and I'm sure he'd love it - its a future classic in the making.

Another option is to look at a birth-year watch. SO get him a classic from 21 years ago - would likely appreciate in value and you might get something very special. A Speedmaster or Seamaster would be great options for that age too.

Let us know what you land up getting.

Watch for my sons 21st

If not new then a Speedmaster would absolutely be my choice; classice design and incredibly versatile.

Having had something similar with my Dad when I was little; letting him choose it himself and turning the process into a Dad and son bonding experience/trip could be fun. I’m just mindful that taste is an incredibly personal thing and my Dad and I are quite different in that regard it turns out...

Last edited by Megatron; 21st August 2020 at 16:26.

Banned
    Out of the original 2 I’d go for the black bay however as mentioned a speedy pro would be a better alternative. I’d get that on its original bracelet and then get a good quality leather strap as that’s he’s preference and keep the bracelet in the box for the future as tastes of straps can change, plus would be easier to sell on if he changes he’s mind later on

- - - Updated - - -

Out of the original 2 I’d go for the black bay however as mentioned a speedy pro would be a better alternative. I’d get that on its original bracelet and then get a good quality leather strap as that’s he’s preference and keep the bracelet in the box for the future as tastes of straps can change, plus would be easier to sell on if he changes he’s mind later on

Quote Originally Posted by Woodguy View Post
    Would you be able to source the watch for the OP or are you only in the 'buying cheap from the forum and selling on eBay' business?

Asking for a friend.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    For something a bit more left field, how about a Sinn U50 or a Doxa Sub 300. Failing that the forum wisdom for a black bay 58, maybe the blue.

There’s a nice Bremont on SC which might be worth looking at. Not mine by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    If not new then a Speedmaster would absolutely be my choice; classice design and incredibly versatile.

Having had something similar with my Dad when I was little; letting him choose it himself and turning the process into a Dad and son bonding experience/trip could be fun. I’m just mindful that taste is an incredibly personal thing and my Dad and I are quite different in that regard it turns out...

This is a nice story and a similar one on my side - second this OP!

S

A £3K budget should be able to find a birth-year Speedy Pro - hard to see past such a classic.

Otherwise, I'd consider a good, used Sinn U1, U2, U50 or similar - something tegimented to withstand the excesses of youth! Also new prices are going through the roof, which will push used price ever-upwards in years to come.