closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 5 x Street Fighter

Seiko 5 x Street Fighter

This likely won’t appeal to everyone but I think Seiko have absolutely nailed the look of a couple of these.

Brings back memories of being a young lad in the arcades in the early 90s...

Supposedly limited edition of 10000! I like the look of the Ryu one regardless of inspiration. Trouble is I already have two SKXs in the box, not sure I need this too, but then again...

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-...streetfighter/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get a much better idea of what they look like from the normal seiko pages - example:

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-...ports/srpf19k1

Great concept but they could've executed it better.

They have the Street Fighter feel captured but could've been more subtle. Feels like only the most hardcore SF fans would get them.

Craftsman
    Ohh dear I like green dials but this is indescribable

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Great concept but they could've executed it better.

They have the Street Fighter feel captured but could've been more subtle. Feels like only the most hardcore SF fans would get them.
    +1. I’d have been very interested if the SF connection was a little more subtle. Many fond memories of playing Street Fighter on the SNES and also in the local Xtra Vision while waiting for the bus home after school.

Master
    These are great for street fighter fans, gamers will love them I am sure, the Ryu one is very nice. But as soon as I saw this I wondered if they did a Blanka one, it’s mad but come one there must be some other people who wasted some formative years playing this on the mega drive great game

Master
    Massive street fighter fan here. Sadly they all look terrible. Limited to 9999 pieces. If that’s per character/model it’s hardly limited at all!

Good lord. I am as much a fan of a well-judged tie-in as anyone, all the more so if it’s vintage gaming related. However, to my eye they’ve rather missed the mark with these. Fun, but I don’t think they’re attractive.

(I am particularly glad to see that the Zangief one is fugly. Loyalty to my go-to character would otherwise have kicked in, and I might have bought one.)

Master
    I was hopeful for something awesome when I read the title and was almost sick when I saw the end product

Since picking up my PADI Turtle, I’ve looked at Seiko in a different light and like these wacky releases. What better way to maintain an interest in the brand by releasing pieces aligned with manga or computer gaming? Of the new releases, the Ryu is the one I like the most.

All a matter of personal taste of course...

For me, the Guile / Blanka/ Zangief ones are hideous

Ken model is passable but not for me, in the way the Brian May SE wasn’t

Chun-Li is again, not to my taste but I think something about it fits the character better than the rest.

The Ryu one is on the money, I wish it didn’t have the weird fake-scratched bezel insert and writing at 9 o’clock but they’re not deal breakers.

I don’t imagine that anyone at seiko is taking these too seriously. A gaudy set of releases in the seiko 5 line, inspired by a gaudy video game from the late 80s seem like the fun they should be having with that end of the brand. Strikes me as a good gift for a youngster or a fun watch to wear on holiday.

I'm going to come out and say it that I think these are all Awesome! Very different. Will get them

Master
    I know nothing about the characters, in fact I have never heard of them or the game or whatever it is, but I think the blue one is quite nice.

Hideous, but I guess they are not aimed at me.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

$695 AUD, so pretty pricey. Can pre-order them here

https://seikoboutique.com.au/watch-collections/seiko-5

Kind of cool in a cheesy way, but a bit too pricey at that level I think

Blog Entries
    Dhalsim one should of been on rubber for sure

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Aimed at domestic market mainly i would imagine.

Last time i knew all the best players were from Japan.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Aimed at domestic market mainly i would imagine.

Last time i knew all the best players were from Japan.
    Agreed, will do very well in Asia I reckon.

Blog Entries
    I'll be honest I see no real design cues or hints of the characters apart from the colourways associated to their clothing. Each to their own but a load of tosh. Could of been any retro thing really such as teenage mutant ninja turtles with blue , red, orange and purple. Too easy for Seiko to slap them together.

I'd of appreciated the dial being each characters stage for a better visual cue. They could of embossed it on in its 16 bit format- you see things like that on cups, rulers , pens and all kinds of retro tat . In 'retro'spect that would probably look just as awful also

Last edited by bond; 19th August 2020 at 15:19.

Master
    I like the idea. I’m just not sure I’d wear most of them as a watch.

Mind you, I suspect the target market is not me.

I’d definitely like to see them for real though.

Hideous - perhaps, but not aimed at me, I suppose the target audience will cherish the full set.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'm going to come out and say it that I think these are all Awesome! Very different. Will get them
    Fantastic

Blog Entries
    Hideous to me but I’m probably not the target audience. (The white dial one would look nice without the silly marked bezel and name on the dial.)
    Outdone Omega for silly special editions I reckon.
    Thunderbirds next perhaps? Can’t wait to see the’Parker’ model!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Hideous to me but I’m probably not the target audience. (The white dial one would look nice without the silly marked bezel and name on the dial.)
    Outdone Omega for silly special editions I reckon.
    Wrong but only because I believe the home of the utterly pointless and seemingly meaningless limited edition is Christopher ward London

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Dhalsim one should of been on rubber for sure

Main character missing for me. I'm not a fan of any but would like to see Dhalsim

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Chun-Li is again, not to my taste but I think something about it fits the character better than the rest.
    My thoughts exactly. As a ladies watch that one seems OK. Quite unique styling that fits the character, but nothing feels forced. The rest are just an ugly mixture of obliquely referencing the character, not capturing any of their essence at all while somehow also managing to go completely over the top.

I can see them perhaps appealing to 14 year-olds who can neither afford them, nor particularly care about the Streetfighter series, which is more of a retro-gaming thing at this point and not particularly "cool".

Journeyman
    huh, a full Arabic numeral seiko 5 diver is interesting, a shame its attached to such a hideous colour scheme.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk