closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tips on removing Speedmaster bracelet screw links

Craftsman

Tips on removing Speedmaster bracelet screw links

Before I give up and go to my local Omega AD, I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on adjusting the bracelet on my Speedmaster which I’ve just purchased online.

I’m using the Bergeon 1.6mm screwdriver in the link below (am I using the right one?), and even after heating up the screws I just can’t get them to budge. I don’t want to force too hard and cause damage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Many thanks

Brian

Have you tried the bracelet in very hot water?

Grand Master
    Gas flame on the screws for a few seconds. Don’t go mad or you risk discolouring the steel ( easy to repolish but better avoided) but get enough heat in to soften the loctite. After the heat get straight on with the screwdriver. The alternative is to feed heat into the screw with a soldering iron. Don’t fanny about with hot water.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice!

Why do they even put loctite on anyway. It's just annoying and probably why so many people damage the screws.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Why do they even put loctite on anyway. It's just annoying and probably why so many people damage the screws.

Loctite prevents the screws coming loose. Small screws have very coarse threads, owing to the small size they can’t be tightened significantly.

Heat usually needs to be applied to avoid the risk of damaging the screws, best to accept that and be prepared for it when a screw is obviously tight. Applying to much force with a screwdriver risks breaking the screw or chewing up the head........it isn’t rocket science!

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post

Here's why I always use it on small screws now, just lucky I noticed before the bar came away and I potentially lost the watch. Always assume there's loctite there and apply a small amount of heat before trying to loosen. Simples, as they say.

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Loctite prevents the screws coming loose. Small screws have very coarse threads, owing to the small size they can’t be tightened significantly.

Heat usually needs to be applied to avoid the risk of damaging the screws, best to accept that and be prepared for it when a screw is obviously tight. Applying to much force with a screwdriver risks breaking the screw or chewing up the head........it isn’t rocket science!
    No it's not rocket science but in all the watches I've owned I have only ever lost 1 screw and had 2 watches where I noticed a screw coming loose. Armida A4 lost the screw and 1 Deep Blue plus another Armida with the loose screws.
    After tighten the Deep Blue I had no issues after that but it did happen again on the Armida.
    As for higher end watches I've had Omega Longines Breitling Oris but haven't had any come loose plus plenty other lower end watches.

For the reason's above I check tightness on any screwed link's or head's if I get a new or used watch.

Safety I can understand but I wouldn't say it's vitaly important.

Last edited by sickie; 18th August 2020 at 11:00.

Craftsman
    The bracelet’s adjusted now after buying the gas torch below - thanks again.

Brian

Grand Master
    I have a similar gas torch, but its just as convenient to use the gas hob in the kitchen, a couple of seconds in the point of one of the flames will usually do the job. A cig lighter or even a match will do, but its important to get the loctite softened.