closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Insomnia

Craftsman

Insomnia

I started a thread a few weeks ago about being unable to sleep .I bought nytol from local boots store and it worked slept well most nights .However i used up the packet and soon as I stopped insomnia came back I have slept less than 10 hours in last 4 days ,would it be safe to go back on it for another course or try another medication I have a bottle of Doxylamine succinate which is another type of drowsy anti histamine ,my GP doesn't have any suggestions beyond take a sleeping pill if you really need it ,Iam reluctant to try stronger prescription sleeping pills ,Iam following all the usual things for sleep hygiene and it does not help ,Iam feeling a bit down and frustrated about this situation

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Do you go to bed at abnormal times? Or work nights?

I've found the best remedy for lack of sleep for me, is exercise.

Master
    What's your coffee consumption like? If my sleep gets poor or I start waking up feeling I've not slept I completely stop coffee for a week or two. It makes a very noticeable difference and also makes the coffee taste much nicer when you go back to it.

Also are you getting some exercise every day.

Fellow insomniac here and I ho through phases of sleep vs lack of sleep.

Coffee consumption should be monitored, caffeine has a half life of ten hours so if you’re drinking in the afternoon it will have an effect.

I’ve had some success with mangensium and these:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Nat...ap_m_rp_1_4_dc

(Hope that link works?)

Exercise is good, putting down the phone/iPad two hours before lights out helps. Try reading a book to wind down too.

Craftsman
    I have cut down on caffeine one cup of tea in morning and no soft drinks

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

OP

It may also be worth a post on the exercise encouragement thread.

Journeyman
    Have you tried meditation? I was super sceptical, but gave it a bash and if you can get yourself to buy into it, you will sleep. Search boho beautiful on youtube. She does yoga pilates and meditation.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Also worth checking your exposure to natural light and vitamin D.

as already mentioned -check your caffeine intake (this include cola/pepsi etc) and get some excercise (if you dont already)
    nytol works as good as precription sleepers and in my experience are just as 'strong' as (with the benefit of being non addictive) - try to stagger them on a 1-2 basis (1 night used 2 off if you can) as you will get used to them (not physical addiction but mental )

remember sleeping habits change as you get older as well as in stressful times and most people complain they dont get enough sleep (even though they do ) , i average 6 hours a night and most of that is interupted (i have central sleep apnea + RLS )

the main thing for me is a wind down routine and i read in bed for up to an hour a night before going to sleep , you can also try taking a good vit D and ZMA supplement - most of all if you dont sleep well try not to stress about it as this just starts off a mental cycle that makes it worse.

Master
    Are you being kept awake by self talk & unable to switch off? This used to happen to me my management coach gave me a great tip that I’ve shared & works wonders for everyone I’ve shared with.

Imagine your self talk voice is coming out from a portable radio with a large volume knob. Visualise the radio with the large volume knob, pick it up & take it to another room & place it on a shelf.

Visualise you turning the volume down slowly but by bit & hearing your voice get more and more quiet as you do, until you feel and hear the click of the radio being turned off.

Then step back from the radio, visualising you shutting the door as you leave the room & return to bed.

Sounds all weird & I scoffed at first, but really does work at a base level with your brain. Mine evolved to it being a PowerPoint screen, so had to refocus on a monitor instead of a radio, but still worked the same.

Good luck

Master
    I don't suffer from Insomnia, but have and do suffer with sleep issues.
    I've found when I've exercised and/or done some yoga practice with breathing exercises I sleep better.
    There's a free app called "Breathwrk" which will guide you through the breathing. Other apps are available.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PTelli View Post
    Have you tried meditation? I was super sceptical, but gave it a bash and if you can get yourself to buy into it, you will sleep. Search boho beautiful on youtube. She does yoga pilates and meditation.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
    Meditation works for me as a fellow insomniac. There a fair few free meditation apps available which I tend to cycle through to keep things fresh.

All the usual suspects have also been mentioned above:
    -less caffeine and also earlier in the day
    - exercise
    - a comfortably cool room
    - work through a ‘worry tree’ in your head slowly

The biggest thing for me is knowing that sometimes of a night you can’t beat insomnia. Fighting it will make it worse. On those occasions I get out of bed and go sit quietly on my office sofa. A really dim light and maybe make some notes in my notebook (no iPad or screen time) and soon enough I’ll be tired enough to get back into bed. Sounds odd but I concentrate on my handwriting rather than what I’m actually writing. Very calming effect. Even on those nights I feel better in the morning than if I’d lay in bed fighting to get to sleep.

Councillor told me it’s about training your body that bedroom and bed are for two things only. So if you’re awake, leave the bedroom.

I’m not sure people can ever be cured of insomnia, just learn to deal with it a lot better.

OP. Have you tried oil diffusers. You basically put water in it with a few drops of smelling oils and it creates a really fine steam/mist. I find them very relaxing. My wife loves them. There is the “neom well-being” diffuser which is quite expensive due to brand name. There are Chinese manufacturers that sell them too. I ordered a couple last night from amazon for £14. Should be here tomorrow. Il let you know if they are any good although the 3000 reviews and 5 star makes me think they will be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I work nights so sleep can be a problem especially in this heat. I have 2 go to solutions, first is night nurse liquid. The second is over the counter pills for sleeping disorders they are just a strong dose of antihistamines that the pharmacy recommended. Both knock me out for a straight 10 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

What's the pills called? I pretty much have suffered insomnia for a long long time on and off. Latest tablets from the doctor is Melatonin but after 2 months they no longer help.
    Maybe it would be giving whatever you're pills are called a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I work nights so sleep can be a problem especially in this heat. I have 2 go to solutions, first is night nurse liquid. The second is over the counter pills for sleeping disorders they are just a strong dose of antihistamines that the pharmacy recommended. Both knock me out for a straight 10 hours.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Attachment 18150

They do a 25 or 50mg version I just get the 50s when I need them.

Master
    I had a friend who suffered immensely from this. His mental health took a dive and it was just a vicious circle from there. He self medicated with cannabis and it changed his life. Obviously wouldn't condone such behaviour but was amazing to hear the results and see him back on track.

Thanks aa388 next time I'm at the Chemist I will look for them.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

It's worth looking into sleep hygiene and getting ready for bed after the first yawn. Sometimes I miss my window to go to sleep and then I'm up until 2 or 3am.

Also try not to eat or snack after a certain time as food comes with energy and for me this can keep me up even later.

I'm not an insomniac but I have struggled to get a decent nights sleep in the past and occasionally still do.
    I've found, as others have mentioned, that exercise definitely helps, as do decent blackout curtains, but the one thing that has made the biggest improvement in my sleep is foam ear plugs. They cut out most distracting/sleep disturbing noises from the garden (foxes, dawn chorus), the streets (traffic, sirens, pissheads) and from aircraft...and they cost pennies.

Journeyman
    Try this app or get their book, both helped me live with my insomnia. (Something ive had for 20+ years.)

I would avoid prescription medication as they are very addictive psychologically. Most GP’s are reluctant to issue them now I believe and encourage CBT..

I take Boots ‘Sleepeaze 2 per night‘, but only one. Ive tried pretty much every pill/potion going and think these are the best, for me.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

https://thesleepschool.org/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleep-Book-.../dp/1409149102

Just to add there’s alot of free information on that website thats worse looking at before paying for the app,book or course.
    Last edited by Bangers; 19th August 2020 at 15:50.

Also the best dance tune EVER.
    IMHO